Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 372
Total: 373

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: should I partake in study?  (Read 6565 times)

Offline xander6540

should I partake in study?
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:23:13 am »
Hi everyone.  I wasn't sure if I should post this in the "newly tested" section or the "medication
section".  Since my diagnoses last week, I've been qualified for a study involving newly infected (within
6 months) patients.  If I choose to be in the study, I will be randomly placed in 1 of 2 groups.
Group A: Takes meds for 36 weeks and is monitored regularly and then stops meds. Group B: Doesn't take meds and
is monitored regularly.  The purpose of this is to see whether it is beneficial for newly infected patients
to take meds.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I only have a couple more days to decide if I want to be in the study.

Also, when I went in to get all my results (my first time getting results) my CD4 was 484.  And my VL was 15,000.

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
Re: should I partake in study?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »
Whats the back up plan should this fuck up your situation from bad to worse, anyway life is all about trials and errors, meds are meds at some point you might have to take them maybe the earlier the better as they are putting it across these days, at the end of the day the decision is yours, but have sound knowledge of what you are getting yourself into, just my thoughts
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:38:34 pm »
What meds are they giving out? Assuming you might get them it would be nice to know what they are.

David

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:28:34 pm »
If I were you, I would go for it. Doctors are still debating whether to start meds early or not, so we don't know what's good. It's a win win for you and science no matter what group you are placed at, because you get doctor's attention and care (free, or even paid).

I am going on a Pom juice study next week. I was qualified based on my last month's numbers but not sure about how they will be next week.

-- By no means please don't consider my post as an advice. It's just my thought. You make your own decision.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:45:02 pm »
Along with the suggestions you've already received I would want to know what your doctor thinks about this study and what if any factors would be a downside if you participate.

It's great to participate in a study as a service, but the #1 priority from my point of view is would it be likely to be of benefit to you without any serious drawbacks. ...And always bearing in mind there a never absolute guarantees and weighing the factors with that understanding in mind.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:30:14 am »
Xander,
I say "Go for it!"

At your stage in the HIV game, possibly not being on meds for a few more months is unlikely to pose a major risk to your current health or your ability to regain full immune function and knock the virus down.  If you wind up in the arm not receiving meds and your system responds well, you could even have the opportunity learn about favorable immune system traits that would not ordinarily be examined in the course of routine HIV care -- ask the study coordinator if they will arrange for HLA-B allele and/or delta-32 testing if your numbers stay strong.

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:44:26 pm »
I would want to wait and see at least one more lab report.  Your numbers could be improving, and you could be some time away from needing medication.  Or the opposite could be true, and then you might not want to find yourself in group B.  It seems a little early to commit yourself.

On the other hand, if you don't have a good insurance plan to cover the cost of meds and treatment when you do need them, then maybe you should take advantage of the opportunity.     
It's a complex world

Offline xander6540

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:51:09 pm »
thanks everyone..I appreciate your replies. I think I may just go with the study. I'll post back here when I make my decision.

Offline xander6540

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 07:45:19 pm »
I decided to do the study.  I got put in the group that takes meds.. I am taking Kaletra and Truvada.  =)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.