Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:14:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 632
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does having hiv fatigue us faster/more often?  (Read 11537 times)

Offline redbull

Does having hiv fatigue us faster/more often?
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:04:22 pm »
Im going thru so much right now.  A breeak up from my bf of 6 yrs (who infected me) might be changing jobs, may have to move & etc. I work 3rd shift right now & have no other choice.

My question is Im trying to start working out again & its been so difficult to get motivated & have energy to do so.  I feel so tired all the time.  I sleep maybe 6-8 hrs then lay in bed till time to go to work.

My cd4 is 400, im un detectable, i know some of it may be depression, but i have to take energy boosters to get thru work.  Im on atripla & it drains me pretty bad to.

Anyone experience this?  Maybe im just being a lazy ass i dont know.
If you wish to see the best in others, show the best of yourself.

5/20/09  tested poz
6/2/09  CD4-94    VL-380,000
8/09   Allergic reaction to bactrim
9/09/09  started Atripla
5/10    cd4 315  vl undetectable
3/11    cd4 400  undetectable
6/11.   Cd4 520. Undetectable
12/11. Cd4 450. Undetectable
6/12.   Cd4 600. UD
2/13.   Cd4 425. UD

Offline mikeyb39

Re: Does having hiv fatigue us faster/more often?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:51:02 pm »
hi red,
i am kinda going thru the same thing with the energy levels, I went to the doctor two weeks ago and he did about 5 tests ranging from thyroid to testosterone which i go in the morning for results.  i feel ya though, somedays at work i feel like i could just crash.  My doctor thinks its a mix of mild depression and sleep habits, so he started me on lexapro couple to see if that might pull me out of the funk. 

I hate to say it but i hope my testosterone is low because at least i would have something to blame it on.  i do force myself to the gym at least 4 days/week.

11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:46:22 am »
I wonder if its an Atripla thing? 

Before I used to work out at least four times a week.  Now if I dont work out in the morning and wait until after work I'm exhausted and usualky dont make it.  Plus I have gained a ton of weight since starting Atripla.  I don't think its depression.  Besides the HIV I dont really have anything to be depressed about and I'm not that upset about the HIV thing anymore.  Mikey let us know about your tests results.

Oh either of you experience a kind of "brain fog" since u started Atripla?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:11:52 am »
I'm going through the same thing.  It isn't like I feel physically exhausted.  If I do manage to do something, I can get it done.  But, when I'm home, I just want to lay on the couch and watch TV.  And, it is showing on my expanding waistline.  I really think my problem is a mental thing--depression.  I've been very frustrated that I have so many things to do around the house.  I still have all the Christmas storage containers laying in the living room floor.   My ping-pong table is covered with old mail and papers that I need to go through, but it just sits there collecting dust.  I have all these old VHS tapes that I intended to go through to see what's on them, but haven't.  Our basement carpet needs cleaning due to our 15 year-old dog leaking during her sleep.  It is starting to smell like a pet shelter.  I just don't have the motivation to start on any of it.  I just feel like wrapping up in a blanket and watching TV.  Maybe once summer gets here, things will change.  Cold, rainy, and gloomy weather doesn't help. 

I know many people are procrastinators who aren't depressed.  However, I do believe my problem is depression and I really haven't been vigilant in treating the depression.  I've been meaning to restart my depression med, but I put that off too...lol.  Have you thought about a depression med?  Whatever the cause, I hope you get your mojo back.       

Offline littleprince

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:14:49 am »
All those things you described would drain anybody, not just someone with HIV. Is this something just recently or has it been the whole time you have been on atripla?

For quite a while after I had PCP and a low CD4 count I was always tired. I would hit a wall in the middle of the day and have to sleep for a few hours (3 - 4). Almost 12 months down the track and I'm not as bad but still don't have the energy like before. I would also be intrested to know if others continued to feel drained even with a higher CD4.

Offline brenner

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:30 am »
I can tell you my experience...before i was on atripla, i was exhausted beyond belief...was always tired and never felt that way before...after taking atripla, i can say that my sleep is not as deep as before and so i wake up a bit tired from that, and thus carry it through the day.  but i do feel much better without the fatigue.  im trying to get to sleep ,deeper, if you know what i mean, and hopefully that will help my tiredness...not sure if its the atripla or the worry or stress that i have at the moment.  but it is so much better now.  my cd4 numbers are still under 300, so i dont know if thats also a factor.
Feb 23. 2011  poz diagnosed
Feb 28.  cd4 257, vl 262400, %21
Mar 14.  start Atripla
May 18.  cd4 639, vl 690, %33
Aug 19.  cd4 583, vl 60, %38
Nov 18.  cd4 450, vl UD, %38
Feb.19   cd4 649, vl UD, %35
Jun 08.  cd4 524, vl UD, %34
Sep 16.  cd4 567, vl UD, %35
Dec 02.  cd4 592, vl UD, %35
Mar 10.  cd4 688, vl UD, %35

Offline Zohar

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:52 am »
HIV can definitely impact on energy levels. I used to be able to get by on very little sleep but now I sometimes need to sleep during the day and if I go out it really tells on me very quickly and through the next day.

I've spoken to my doctor about it and he says there is nothing that can be done and it's something you just have to live with.
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:41 am »
Have you discussed stimulants with your doctor?

Offline redbull

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:09:30 pm »

Anytime I bring it up the dr talks about taking me off of atripla & on a  2 or 3 pill regimine. im trying to stay on a 1 pill a day, but the dr has said nothing of stimulants.  What type would you suggest?

5/20/09  tested poz
9/09/09  started Atripla
6/12.   Cd4 600. UD
2/13.   Cd4 425. UD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:16:43 pm »
Red Bull gives you wings!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 02:20:23 pm »

Yeah.  Good luck with that if you are on ADAP - at least in Georgia.  I'm not even sure if it is included in the formulary here.  It may be, but they generally look at you in a "Sure thing, Meth Mary.  We'll get right on that stimulant prescription for ya" kind of way.

The best they will offer is a once-a-month B12 shot.

I know this because I used to have very strong fatigue issues when I was on Kaletra / Combivir.  I asked, and that was the response I got.  It went away when I switched regimens, and I now think the sluggishness may have actually had something to do with my blood lipids.  I dunno.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 02:21:57 pm »
Red Bull gives you wings!

So does crack....but you usually fly in circles.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:23:56 pm »

Anytime I bring it up the dr talks about taking me off of atripla & on a  2 or 3 pill regimine. im trying to stay on a 1 pill a day, but the dr has said nothing of stimulants.  What type would you suggest?

I don't have a specific suggestion. I just wonder of there is a medication that can help give you more energy. This is really something to talk to a doctor about.

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 03:49:41 pm »
Hi Red i am on atripla and recently finished isoniazid for latent TB. I have been real tired so one Doctor gave me Ritalin. She did give me some Provigil but it is about $20.00 a pill She prefers Provigil. When i see Her in a few weeks found there is one called nuvigil that is cheaper so i will try it. Good luck  
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 07:27:59 pm »
I really think my problem is a mental thing--depression.

Teddy, you say this every other week going on 2-3 years.  What's the deal -- how often do you see your therapist, what psych meds are they giving you and did they get their degree from Beauty School.  Furthermore, how the fuck does your partner deal with such dysfunction?

Maybe you need to consider more frequent therapy sessions, upping/changing medications and/or finding a new therapist.  I mean, yeah you have HIV but that's just a formality for you -- your numbers are so high you really don't even have physical concerns like popping pills and crapping diarrhea all day long.  

And I will assume you hold down a full time joy, right?  Do you exhibit such stuff at work too?  If so, how do you manage not to get fired?

ps: hey tedderz, would you mind making your signature line not so long -- it takes up half of my screen on a large iMac... imagine what it's like on a laptop.  A bit self-indulgent, don't you think?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:30:41 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 07:41:41 pm »
Look, otherwise I'm going to address a general issue that MANY doctors and ALMOST ALL PATIENTS seem to avoid like the plague.  Numerous studies have shown depression issues to be 12 times what is found in non-HIV populations.  Now tell me one other single HIV-related factor that is that obvious, and of COURSE fatigue is related much of the time to depression.  But hey, everyone likes to blame the virus itself, or the medications (though I will admit that for the first couple of months the meds can cause some fatigue, and yes too with the virus but ONLY if you have a detectable viral load, which 99% of you don't since you're popping pills)

So my question is WHY AREN'T YOU GOING TO A PSYCHIATRIST AND HAVING REGULAR THERAPY SESSIONS.  Now, I agree it's another co-pay, or some amount of extra money, and it's hard to schedule because at the beginning you're often going to go twice a week, or at least once a week.  The there are those, patients as well as doctors, that will just throw some anti-depressant pills at you and call it a day.  Well, that's just a band-aid and OK for a bit, but listen to me when I tell you that you're GOING TO HAVE HIV FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.  If you don't do talk therapy and get your depression and anxiety issues under control, meaning more learning how to control them on your own so you can eventually halt therapy sessions, YOU ARE NEVER EVER GOING TO HAVE A HAPPY SATISFYING LIFE WITH HIV.

Now, this doesn't apply to everyone -- many deal with their diagnosis quite well, and other deal well for years but then suddenly when a significant health issue arises THEN they need some therapy (that's what happened with me... I was totally sane and fine for the first 8 years of my diagnosis). 

My point though is don't ever feel "weak" seeking mental health services, and once you decide to go make sure to commit to it because a couple of sessions isn't going to solve anything -- it can be a year long process or longer.  And yes, it can also open up other cans of worms which is why many people would rather pop some Wellbutrin for the rest of their life, even if in the end it stops working and you're still depressed.

Anywho... sorry to ramble.  It's just something I feel strongly about and something I've seen OVER AND OVER AND OVER during my five years participating on AIDSmeds.

Offline redbull

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »
I think you may be right about the depression.  Ive been trying to decide if its the hiv or depression or meds or whatever, but I think it might be depression.

As a gay man living in the bible belt, a rural area, the closest gay community/area is an hour from me.  I work 3rd shift  & work weekends so most of the  time I feel I have nothing to look forward to other than my kids.

On top of that my hisband of 6 yrs just left me after lying & cheating on me, giving me hiv & now he says hes going to be a jehovah witness?  Wtf?  Now im dealing with the single life again & feeling I'll be alone forever....being hiv pos, gay & stuck in the dam bible belt on 3rd shift!

Sorry for the rant/vent.  Im seeing a counselor but really dont want to take any antidepressants, im taking enough shit already.

Guess I just need to suck it up, deal with this shit & make the best of it, it just gets overwhelming at times & I can barely get outta bed.

5/20/09  tested poz
9/09/09  started Atripla
6/12.   Cd4 600. UD
2/13.   Cd4 425. UD

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:10 pm »
   I have the fatigue thing going too. Not so much depressed though, that's rarely been an issue for me, 'cuz in my little world, everything is, y'know all sunshine and lollipops and shit like that. No I think for me it's more a matter of working too much and sleeping too little. I work full-time, outdoors doing landscaping whether its 15 below zero or 115 above, and all the temps in between. When I come home I relax for 30 minutes, then it's time to take care of They-Who-Must-Be-Walked, which is usually a mile or more. Then it's work around the house time :P Splitting wood, working on the house, the car, or, dare I say it, the landscaping....
   The best part is that one of the anti-rejection drugs for the transplant causes major insomnia :'( So I get between three and five hours of sleep a night, and not all at once. Sometimes I wonder how I have managed to not turn into a homicidal maniac. About once every two weeks, I throw caution to the wind and skip my PM meds so that I can get at least somewhat decent sleep.
   Rest well everyone.... ;)

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 08:11:32 pm »
  I have the fatigue thing going too. Not so much depressed though, that's rarely been an issue for me, 'cuz in my little world, everything is, y'know all sunshine and lollipops and shit like that. No I think for me it's more a matter of working too much and sleeping too little. I work full-time, outdoors doing landscaping whether its 15 below zero or 115 above, and all the temps in between. When I come home I relax for 30 minutes, then it's time to take care of They-Who-Must-Be-Walked, which is usually a mile or more. Then it's work around the house time :P Splitting wood, working on the house, the car, or, dare I say it, the landscaping....
   The best part is that one of the anti-rejection drugs for the transplant causes major insomnia :'( So I get between three and five hours of sleep a night, and not all at once. Sometimes I wonder how I have managed to not turn into a homicidal maniac. About once every two weeks, I throw caution to the wind and skip my PM meds so that I can get at least somewhat decent sleep.
   Rest well everyone.... ;)

CaptCarl

My hat is off to you Carl , I simply couldn't work if I were in your situation with no sleep . After one or two nights without proper rest I'm depressed and feeling sick . I have been on so much medication for so long I have no objectivity as to how a man my age is supposed to feel . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »
I think you may be right about the depression.  Ive been trying to decide if its the hiv or depression or meds or whatever, but I think it might be depression.

As a gay man living in the bible belt, a rural area, the closest gay community/area is an hour from me.  I work 3rd shift  & work weekends so most of the  time I feel I have nothing to look forward to other than my kids.

On top of that my hisband of 6 yrs just left me after lying & cheating on me, giving me hiv & now he says hes going to be a jehovah witness?  Wtf?  Now im dealing with the single life again & feeling I'll be alone forever....being hiv pos, gay & stuck in the dam bible belt on 3rd shift!

Sorry for the rant/vent.  Im seeing a counselor but really dont want to take any antidepressants, im taking enough shit already.

Guess I just need to suck it up, deal with this shit & make the best of it, it just gets overwhelming at times & I can barely get outta bed.

I am so glad you are seeing a therapist. With everything going on in your life it is no wonder you feel exhausted, anyone would be. Often people, especially those newly diagnosed, attribute everything to HIV when it may have nothing to do with the problem. I would still discuss your fatigue issues with your doctor and rule out any physical problems.

Has your therapist discussed antidepressants? You seem to be reluctant to take additional medications but sometimes they can make a world of difference. I hope things improve for you on all fronts.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 08:31:08 pm »
I think in my case some fatigue comes from getting older and not getting the exercise that I once did. The HIV related depression thing has not hit me yet (not that I am complaining by any means).  For some reason, I just roll with whatever is thrown my way w/o getting too down about it. Yes, I have had some pretty bad experiences in my life too.

I did see a therapist years ago after my dad died around the same time a long term relationship ended.  That was a tough time and getting some professional help was just what I needed.  I guess I am just fortunate or maybe I just have a 'fuck it' attitude about HIV and that keeps me going.  Please dont misconstrue that to mean that I think its not serious, I just dont get so bogged down in it that I have a hard time functioning.  

I think some of it for me is that after being so sick, I am just glad that the meds work well enough for me to still be around.  Like I said before in another thread once, a total recalibration of what is important in life took place and that has made me different.  I do get tired more often but I also make a point to get more rest too.  

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 08:47:12 pm »

My hat is off to you Carl , I simply couldn't work if I were in your situation with no sleep . After one or two nights without proper rest I'm depressed and feeling sick . I have been on so much medication for so long I have no objectivity as to how a man my age is supposed to feel . 

Ditto that! I don't know what the average 46 Y/O guy is supposed to feel like either, so I just assume that everything is as it should be. The benefit of having people think you are sleep deprived and unstable is that I get to work alone. :D

CaptCarl

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 08:53:12 pm »
Miss P, I know you are very sincere about issues of depression and people not working on it at all or just half-assed.  Even though what you said came off a tad mean to me, I believe it is your version of tough love, because you do talk about the mental health issues surrounding HIV and think members should be using the mental health forum more.  On your suggestion in several recent posts, I began reading some of the posts there and plan to use it and post there.  

For the record, I was contributing to the conversation that many of us just want to come home and lie on the couch.  If there is dysfunction, it is not that serious.  I take daily showers, take care of our 3 dogs, cook dinner, do dishes, pay all the bills and contact those companies when there are issues, etc.  I was speaking about those things many people actually put off doing--those projects that need to get done, but aren't pressing matters.  

Having said that, I'm not happy that I put off those less pressing matters regardless of whether it is due to HIV, depression, procrastination many have, or just plain laziness.  I do need to work on that.  I will take your advice to have more frequent visits with my therapist and get on and stay on an effective depression med.  Any dysfunction I have is not really in household matters.  Well, I was a good procrastinator before learning I had HIV.  My brother complains his partner comes home and just sits watching TV--while my brother can't make it through the day without a nap and doesn't get things done.  My main issues are with withdrawing from things we use to do--social events, taking the jet skis to the lake, hiking, biking, etc.  So, that is significant dysfunction that I need to overcome.  And, I'm sure I will once I'm further into this.

About the sig line--  When I first came here, I never posted anything about my labs.  I only did after members said it would be helpful to have my labs listed when we discuss issues.  I've seen much, much longer sig lines.  Is mine really the longest in your opinion?  Is the sig line now seen as self-indulgent?  

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 09:10:39 pm »
And, I'm sure I will once I'm further into this.  

How much more into this is it going to take.  You've been diagnosed for over 2 yrs, what's keeping you from dealing with these problems, ignoring them will only make things worse.  I would think that seeking help dealing with whatever you are going through and getting back on your meds will enable you to start doing the things you mentioned that you enjoy.

Regarding your sig line why not delete the blank lines, it certainly would be smaller.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 12:15:08 am »

***BUTCH QUEEN UP IN PUMPS, FIRST TIME AT A BALL***

(nice avvy, Jeffypoo)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 12:19:31 am »
Thanks , I think LOL
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:23 am »
Thanks , I think LOL

I think so as well.  Très cute :)
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline sorryass

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 01:34:24 am »
Red,
Hiv+ in of itself is a managable virus.  Your lover leaving after 6 years, Is that bad, or good in the long run?  You work the 3rd shift, 12 - 8am?  If you truly hate it, and have been there for a while, try to get it changed.  Things do sound like they are getting to you.  You have children.  You are blessed.  Try to look at what you do have, not what you don't.  Maybe a new Job,  maybe a new boyfriend, maybe a new home!  The job may be better, the boyfriend may be a better lover, and the home could be the one you feel much more comfortable in.

Just take things an hour, a day at a time.  Things have a way of working themselve out.  An hour, a day at a time.  Hug your kids.
Bertram
xo
Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »
Is mine really the longest in your opinion?

We'll need a picture to decide that.....

CaptCarl

Offline redbull

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 04:34:08 pm »
For those old enough to remember the singing duo milli vanilli, I heard their song "blame it o rain" just now on the radio & started laughing so hard!  So im just gonna "blame it on the rain"! Lmao!

On a serious note I was taking the highest dose you can buy of vitamin d at walmart & it seemed to help alot.  I ran out a few months ago & have gotten worse since.  So im going to go back on it & see what happens.

5/20/09  tested poz
9/09/09  started Atripla
6/12.   Cd4 600. UD
2/13.   Cd4 425. UD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 10:58:47 pm »
For those old enough to remember the singing duo milli vanilli, I heard their song "blame it o rain" just now on the radio & started laughing so hard!  So im just gonna "blame it on the rain"! Lmao!

I always liked to cop my crack to that song...  along with Bell Biv Devoe's Poison.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline BJS2011

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:19 am »
Im going thru so much right now.  A breeak up from my bf of 6 yrs (who infected me) might be changing jobs, may have to move & etc. I work 3rd shift right now & have no other choice.

My question is Im trying to start working out again & its been so difficult to get motivated & have energy to do so.  I feel so tired all the time.  I sleep maybe 6-8 hrs then lay in bed till time to go to work.

My cd4 is 400, im un detectable, i know some of it may be depression, but i have to take energy boosters to get thru work.  Im on atripla & it drains me pretty bad to.

Anyone experience this?  Maybe im just being a lazy ass i dont know.
Hey Redbull. I am 12 yrs poz. I have undetectable and C4s 900. I am soooo tired and lazy all the time especially this past yr. I get so frustrated but have learned this is where I am. I have asked doctors but never get a straight answer. I had to go on disability cause UI can't work either. So now I just rest alot but try and be as active as possible.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 07:42:01 am »
Another pearl of wisdom I'll add to the topic, aside from the depression which (of course) 78% of you are in utter denial about in terms of possibilities (98% if you're a Southerner), is that at one point my fatigue became so intense I wasn't just nodding off sitting upright at my office desk, but falling asleep 3 evening commutes out  of 5 each week to the point that I'd miss not only my subway stop, but not wake up until I'd gone 5-6 ones further (so not cute to wake up in the Far Rockaways!)  After that went on for far too long, and because it was such an obviously extreme example which hadn't happened the previous decade of living in NYC, I brought it up with my doctor and he sent me to have a sleep study... low and behold I had state "1" sleep apnea ("5" is the worst on the scale) and the doctors said they'd never seen apnea in someone as skinny as I was.  In fact, this was during my HIV wasting period where I had dropped to 142 lbs. and looked like I'd just walked out of Treblinka.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_fatigue_psychological_1667_18540.shtml

vindicated again

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 09:10:28 am »
MissP

You obviously have a point here. I have been offered therapy and declined it, but, your opinion is pretty convincing...

I'll review my position with doc next visit

Thanks

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline activehiv

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »
Hey Redbull their is a book called "Mind Over Mood:  Change how you feel by changing the way you think" by Dr. Dennis Greenberger and Dr. Christine A. Padesky.  A Therapist recommended this book to me.   I have to say that it's pretty good!  It's not one of those self help books that tells you that everything is all right and that you just need to focus on the good blah blah blah, its more of a work book that gives you exercises to help you identify, understand, and cope with problems.  Give it a shot if you like.  Good luck and don't worry be happy! :P

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 07:31:56 am »
Hey Redbull. I am 12 yrs poz. I have undetectable and C4s 900. I am soooo tired and lazy all the time especially this past yr. I get so frustrated but have learned this is where I am. I have asked doctors but never get a straight answer. I had to go on disability cause UI can't work either. So now I just rest alot but try and be as active as possible.

Hi BJS, welcome to the forums. I read another post of yours...

Had Hep C 20 yrs with no treatment and no problems as of yet.

It's possible that your hep C is causing your fatigue issues as it's a very common problem with hep C and even more so when it's combined with hiv.

I had hep C for around fourteen years before I became poz and while I never had any problems with hcv before the hiv, when I became coinfected I started having a LOT of problems - all typical hcv symptoms - and fatigue was way up there on the list. I could hardly function.

I did the hcv treatment in '02/'03. It took a while to recover from the side-effects completely once the treatment was finished, but after a while fatigue was no longer a problem. At least not the constant fatigue I experienced pre-treatment and during the treatment. I get days now where I'm inexplicably tired (my hiv is not treated) but that's preferable to going for months at a time barely able to function.

Have you discussed the possibility of hcv treatment with your doctor?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 07:57:04 am »
I don't know the science or research on this but do know what my ID said a few weeks ago:  
since I'm on HAART, and had successful immune reconstitution, and its been a few years, and I was only untreated a short while, there's no reason fatigue should be related to HIV or HAART.  Aging, stress, depression, despair, physical fitness, other diseases maybe...  Everything should be considered.  

I've noticed an uptick in energy since I started Ritalin a few weeks ago. I am sure there are all sorts of ways to get energy boosts and sometimes psychotropes are useful.  Spirituality.  Ambitions.  Psychotherapy. Time. Love. Positive outlook, Optimism. 

Then again, its also spring, and we all get an energy boost with all this nice weather and sunlight.

I think people should get advice from IDs and therapists about their own individual situations.  Surely HIV and/or HAART drugs can cause fatigue but its hardly a given in this day and age.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:18:41 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.