Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:09:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 418
Total: 419

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Charities  (Read 6117 times)

Offline magnoman

HIV Charities
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:17 pm »
World Aids Day today reminded me that I want to start donating money to an HIV Charity.  I am interested to hear which ones people here think are the most supportive and cost effective.

My initial thought was the Terence Higgins Trust in the UK as it is where I am from and when my partner was diagnosed they gave me/us some good advice over the phone.

However I live in Latin America and wouldn't mind donating to an organisation that has a role here, so the Elton John Aid's Foundation sounded like a good alternative as well.

Then on researching  the forum I found the rather interesting looking Abzyme Research Foundation, but it looks as though they have been trying to raise 1.5 million for the past couple of years and are still below $75,000.

I do rather like the idea of donating to a charity that is focussed on finding a cure, and saw that Timothy Brown apparently set up a foundation that is meant to be the first devoted especially to finding a cure, although it doesn't look as though it is set up to receive donations yet.

Would be interested to hear suggestions for charities that are dear to people's hearts on here. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: HIV Charities
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
Have you thought about contributing locally? Most ASOs these days need money to meet running costs. You know the old saying - think globally, act locally.

You might be able to find something near you (or at least find an organisation that can point you in the right direction) by using the world-wide hiv directory at aidsmap. http://www.aidsmap.com/e-atlas
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:50 am »
I agree with Ann -- the volume of administrative costs involved in the larger organizations puts fewer dollars on the front lines. Your personal satisfaction of knowing exactly where your money lands may be greater. You could also call and ask specifically what they need -- paper? printer toner? field laptop? and so on.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:30 am »
I agree that donating locally to your local ASO is a great place to start, and thank you for the reminder. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline 11 letters

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:28:06 pm »
I work for a small, local, HIV-services organization, and I've worked in a few other healthcare and service-oriented agencies and I have to say that the small, local, agencies really are the ones who need money the most.

If you think you don't have any, call hospitals, clinics, or other places and ask around. I didn't know the charity for which I now work even existed until I saw the job ad!
I am not a physician or nurse, and no comments from me can be construed as medical advice. Please seek such advice from a qualified healthcare professional.

Offline 11 letters

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:17 pm »
Also, I want to make another point since I've experienced this from the vantage point of the charities themselves. December is a perfectly fine time to give, but a lot of agencies get swamped with volunteers, donations, and inquiries during December because of the holidays.

I always encourage people to give whenever they can--even, especially, in December!--but I also ask people to set aside another month of the year like April, May, or June, to give. For particularly small agencies, a donation or volunteer hours in the spring or summer can be a lot more useful, speaking practically, than in December.
I am not a physician or nurse, and no comments from me can be construed as medical advice. Please seek such advice from a qualified healthcare professional.

Offline HORRiD

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:43:19 am »
I want to use paypal to donate towards research.

any suggestions?
thx in advance.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.