Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 342
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HPV  (Read 11091 times)

Offline jaace24

HPV
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:52:40 pm »
Can anyone share their stories with me regarding HPV?  I know it is one of the most common virus' out there.  I have had it for around 6 years that I know of.  I found out because I had anal warts.  I just recently found out I was HIV+ and the doctor did an anal smear and it came back abnormal with LSIL.  I dont have an HRA until 6/4/13.  I am nervous and scared but know that I will be okay.  My doc is on top of it.  Just looking for anyone else that has experienced this.  Thank you.

Offline aaware72

Re: HPV
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:07:56 am »
Just went through the same thing.  The procedure was done and over in 15 minutes.  They took two biopsy which took a week to get results back.  One was negative and the other was a low grade and was told not a concern. 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:35:28 am »
Can anyone share their stories with me regarding HPV?  I know it is one of the most common virus' out there.  I have had it for around 6 years that I know of.  I found out because I had anal warts.  I just recently found out I was HIV+ and the doctor did an anal smear and it came back abnormal with LSIL.  I dont have an HRA until 6/4/13.  I am nervous and scared but know that I will be okay.  My doc is on top of it.  Just looking for anyone else that has experienced this.  Thank you.

About thirteen years ago I had bout after bout of the things. Took about five surgeries, with different (evolving!) methods, but have not had them since I consistently went on HIV meds.

My first few were cut out. The others were lasered out. Cutting them out gave me a week's worth of recovery pain. And sadly, most pain meds cause constipation - which is not, I repeat, NOT what you want. So after making THAT mistake the first time (there is no known high that I am aware of that can conquer the pain of a rock-solid BM after that surgery) I went Old School and forsook the pain meds. Just bit down on a towel for the first couple of days and all was more or less well after that.

Actually, the first surgery was in 1996, and was so extensive they kept me overnight and took out a rather telling chunk of tissue to get everything. I was out of anal commission for a fairly long time after that, let me tell you.

The laser/cauterization surgeries went way better. Cut healing time in half. It was not a big deal but it was a couple of days' worth of drinking LOADS of fluids and juices and anything else that would make things run smoothly. So it was a "deal."

Every time, the biopsies came back indeterminate. They have not re-occurred since I started taking meds seriously. And my last pap smear came out indeterminate, which my doctor said was to be expected and not to worry about it.

Thirteen years condyloma free, and counting. I really do thank the meds for that.

It's now really not something on my radar now. As I see it, there are far more likely things waiting and wanting to kill me. Though some of them haven't posted in months.

*modified to add- I said thirteen - it was more like sixteen. Time's fun when you're having flies.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:28:08 am »
I've had to have anal dysplasia lesions worked on regardless of the fact that I've been on meds successfully, so I'd not find but so much comfort in that. And that was six years after having anal warts. I still go for a high resolution anonscopy once yearly, and in fact have one at the end of this month. But my biopsies have been fine. I'd not rest comfy just because I was on successful treatment with a high cd4 count -- yes, it helps, but it's not everything. This should always be monitored consistently by a colorectal surgeon.

Generally nothing to worry about IF you stay on top of it. But it's always something on my radar.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:40 am »
I've had to have anal dysplasia lesions worked on regardless of the fact that I've been on meds successfully, so I'd not find but so much comfort in that. And that was six years after having anal warts. I still go for a high resolution anonscopy once yearly, and in fact have one at the end of this month. But my biopsies have been fine. I'd not rest comfy just because I was on successful treatment with a high cd4 count -- yes, it helps, but it's not everything. This should always be monitored consistently by a colorectal surgeon.

Generally nothing to worry about IF you stay on top of it. But it's always something on my radar.

Apologies for not emphatically mentioning that each individual's mileage, so to speak, may vary. I consider myself extremely lucky.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jaace24

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:40:33 am »
Thank you guys for responding, it helps to hear these things.  I was just diagnosed in January and my CD4s were low.  Last test they were 131.  I go for lab draw tomorrow and only hope to be higher.  sometimes it just seems like one thing after another.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:07 pm »
Recently there was an article about a study in Thailand that showed a high rate of HPV among HIV positive gay men.

http://www.aidsmap.com/Very-high-incidence-of-high-grade-pre-cancerous-anal-lesions-among-young-HIV-positive-Thai-gay-men/page/2612572/

Very high incidence of high-grade pre-cancerous anal lesions among young HIV-positive Thai gay men

Approximately a third of HIV-positive gay men in Thailand developed high-grade pre-cancerous anal lesions during just one year of follow-up, investigators report in the online edition of AIDS. Infection with high-risk strains of human papillomavirus (HPV) was an important risk factor for the development of high-grade lesions. The investigators were extremely concerned by their findings and recommend that healthcare providers, policy makers and communities of gay men will need to make plans for screening and treating pre-cancerous anal lesions.

While this study took place in Thailand many of the findings are useful for those living elsewhere.  HPV is very common among HIV positive MSM.  If you have HIV you should be screened on a regular basis at minimum with an anal pap and an HRA if you can. 

One thing that bugs me about this topic.  People seem to confuse anal warts with pre cancerous anal dysplasia.   You don't have to have or have had anal warts to have pre cancerous anal dysplasia.  They are not the same thing.  Don't think because you don't have warts your ok.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:13:04 pm »

One thing that bugs me about this topic.  People seem to confuse anal warts with pre cancerous anal dysplasia.   You don't have to have or have had anal warts to have pre cancerous anal dysplasia.  They are not the same thing.  Don't think because you don't have warts your ok.

++

Offline jaace24

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
Well I had the Had today.  It was interesting to say the least.   The dr did take a biopsy so will see what that comes back as.  She burned off a wart.   And I will start aldara cream in 3 weeks.  I will say when she took the biopsy it did hurt and getting the shot of lidocaine hurt like hell.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »
I had two biopsies done during my routine colorectal annual last week and they came back clean as a whistle. Just an fyi, I did once have dysplasia high grade enough to have work done on it back an entire decade ago -- only one place, and I've never had anything else pop up. But of course I still go once a year for a check up.

Honestly I don't find it any worse than the dentist.

Offline Reishi

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »
I caught it 7 years ago when I was still HIV neg.  I read up on it and figured out what to do.  I put myself on a strict diet, high in vegetables and low in sugar.  I took massive doses of vitamins, minerals & supplements, and the warts disappeared within 3 to 4 weeks.  They've never returned, thankfully, and no further treatment was necessary.  But I am aware that it still increases my chance of getting cancer.

To Jaace24 --  I would recommend taking 200 mcg of selenium and 3 grams (yes, grams) of Vitamin C daily.  That might be helpful.  The warts might be difficult to get rid off right now, but once you start ARV medication and your immune system gets stronger, your body might be able to fight them off on its own.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 06:30:56 pm »
I can empathize about the HPV thing. I think it is more common than many realize. I never even knew what it was or had heard of it until a couple of years ago, and even then I thought it only affected women. But of course it can affect anyone! My doctor did a random anal pap on me a few months ago as part of a trial she was doing on her gay male patients. There seem to be two different types of HPV, some which are benign and are in warts and others which are considered potentially more serious which usually do not have warts but show as low or high grade dysplasia in anal paps. Turns out the results for me came back showing I have low-grade anal HPV lesions. She told me that this is actually very common, many people have low-grade or even high grade and don't even know it. She even told me most people who can have a low-grade result tend to never go beyond that. She also told me she had a low grade lesion once in a cervical pap, and this also went away. However if it turned to high grade, while the risk of cancer increases exponentially with that, it is still not a huge deal as long as you stay on top of it with regular paps and anoscopies.

The name of the game is being proactive with it! In my case, since my first pap showed I had low-grade, doc recommended I have follow-up pap in 6 months, and I will be having that done very soon. If that still shows low-grade, or has reduced from that, basically I'm home free and just have to still have annual paps or high resolution anoscopies as needed.

I think that docs are beginning to realize if they haven't already that HPV is just as huge a health issue for men as for women. As such, docs of guys should be just as aggressive telling their patients to get screened for HPV especially if they are anally sexually active.

And lastly, anyone who has HPV and tests show a low-grade or high grade lesion in an anal pap, should definately have a high-resolution anoscopy. This procedure is pretty simple and all they do is smear something in the anus which causes abnormal cells to light up which show if they are stagnant or at risk for changing. Even if you have high grade HPV lesions, assuming they did want to do any surgery, it wouldn't be a huge deal either, all they'd do would be to go in there and burn some of the affected tissue away. But from what I've heard, it's not too often they ever get to that extreme.

So while I tested positive for low grade HPV lesions, I don't lose sleep over it because I am now aware of it and know I should have paps to monitor things and high-resolution anoscopies as needed. I also do what I can to take care of myself overall healthwise, and this makes a big difference on overall health. I recently had surgery to remove a small polyp in there and it went great and all the pathology and biopsies on it came back totally clean. I'm all healed up now and could be a ravenous bottom again if I wanted (but I think my bottoming days are over now lol) So if you do have HPV it does warrant keeping an eye on it, but not panicking.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:34:40 pm by RobbyR »
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline jaace24

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 08:44:00 pm »
Apparently they didnt get enough tissue for a complete biopsy.  My doc doesnt seem to worried about it and just wants me to start the Aldera on Monday and have another HRA in 6 months.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 01:56:17 pm »
I caught it 7 years ago when I was still HIV neg.  I read up on it and figured out what to do.  I put myself on a strict diet, high in vegetables and low in sugar.  I took massive doses of vitamins, minerals & supplements, and the warts disappeared within 3 to 4 weeks.  They've never returned, thankfully, and no further treatment was necessary.  But I am aware that it still increases my chance of getting cancer.

To Jaace24 --  I would recommend taking 200 mcg of selenium and 3 grams (yes, grams) of Vitamin C daily.  That might be helpful.  The warts might be difficult to get rid off right now, but once you start ARV medication and your immune system gets stronger, your body might be able to fight them off on its own.

Your advice isn't backed up by any science and there in my opinion is crap.

As someone who has had high grade AIN for over two years and has had every treatment available to control it its kind of offensive to read that all I have to do is cut out sugar.  Are you for real.  Back up what you say or don't say or don't say it at all.  While I am familiar with what is and isn't proper advice there are people who read these forums who may not.  Your advice isn't helpful.  I ps. My diet is beyond excellent.

Not to mention you are talking about warts and the topic of the thread is anal dysplasia which isnt the same thing.

To jace.  Starting Aldera.  That's great. It can be a tricky drug to handle.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.  While it is just a cream it is a immune system modulator.  Basically it causes your body to fight the HPV virus.  In doing so you can feel some pretty uncomfortable side effects.  It's different for everyone. For me it was just a mild burning sensation, for others it's worse.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:10:07 pm by buginme2 »

Offline Reishi

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 05:01:49 am »

Not to mention you are talking about warts and the topic of the thread is anal dysplasia which isnt the same thing.

Actually, the title of the thread clearly says "HPV".  I had HPV before and thought I would share what I did to clear the infection.  The word "dysplasia" has been bandied about in this thread 9 times, while the word "warts" comes up 17 times  (prior to this post).  Yes, how silly of me to think we were talking about warts here.  Maybe I read the OP's post incorrectly, but I was under the impression that Jaace still has the warts.

I certainly did not say that "ALL one has to do is cut out sugar".  Now you're putting words in my mouth.  That was just ONE measure among many, which also included dietary changes, vitamins, immune boosting herbs and supplements. 

Oh, look what we have here -- a thread on another site about HPV.  Three of the posters there said the same thing I did:  cut back on sugar intake.  Hmm, I guess they don't know what they're talking about either.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/hpv-discussions/general-support/3097376-boosting-your-immune-system-to-get-rid-of-hpv

Pretty much every site I run across is on the same page as my diet & nutrition advice.  Here's another one:  "Simple or added sugars can suppress your immune system, which will reduce your ability to effectively fight warts."   

http://www.ehow.com/way_5754329_hpv-diet.html

Your advice isn't backed up by any science

My advice wasn't something I just made up off the top of my head.  It was based on the book, "Prescription for Natural Cures", which was written by bona fide medical doctors.  I followed the advice and saw results.  It's that simple.

Now if you want to challenge me about the selenium, I'd be happy to pull up numerous studies which implicate selenium deficiency in HIV, HPV, dysplasia and cancer.

Offline jaace24

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 09:08:21 am »
Bugs:

The Aldara cream scares me because it says not for internal use and that is where it is going to go is inside of me.  I start it Monday night, we will see how it goes.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 10:11:36 am »
I had HPV before and thought I would share what I did to clear the infection.

It is extremely unlikely that you "cleared" your infection with HPV.  Perhaps your symptoms went away, but I'm fairly certain that you STILL HAVE HPV. 

I sincerely doubt that there is any sort of "diet" that will clear an infection of any sort.  As for your "bona fide" doctors -- there are a lot of quacks out there that write books stating all sorts of things that are sometimes right, sometimes wrong and sometimes rather harmful.  We've lost members on this site because they listened to bona fide doctors who had WRONG ideas on HIV and AIDS.

Now if you want to use diet or supplements as and adjunct - go for it -- but it is not going to cure anyone's infection.

Mike

Offline buginme2

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 12:14:26 pm »
Bugs:

The Aldara cream scares me because it says not for internal use and that is where it is going to go is inside of me.  I start it Monday night, we will see how it goes.

Technically it is being prescribed off label.  However, its not that much off label and is routinely used internally to treat anal dysplasia.  Its a common first line treatment.  It should go smoothly for you.  If you have a bad reaction just ease up and instead using three times a week reduce to two etc. 

I used it for 16 weeks and it was uneventful. 

Offline jaace24

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 10:34:56 pm »
just wanted to give an update, when I put the cream in I don't feel anything.  And I was worried and I had nothing to be worried about.

Offline Newguy

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 09:53:19 am »
After multiple attempts to freeze my warts I tried Aldara and the Gardasil shot. I will never know what worked but within 5 weeks they were gone. Apparently aldara is less effective for with people with HIV and Gardasil works pre-exposure. But the combo worked wonders for me and it has been almost a year and they have not returned.

Good Luck

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 10:31:42 pm »
HPV sucks and I wish there was more they could do about it. I had a pap and it showed lsil (low grade dysplasia) but docs assured me not to stress or worry about it, and colorectal doc said the same. I am just going to be proactive and have a high res anoscopy done soon, and hope it comes back okay. Like buginme said to me once, even if lsil progressed into high grade, it's still very manageable. I had a small cyst removed from lower rectum back in march, biopsy on it was clean, not sure if they tested it for hpv at all but the result was just benign inflammatory so that was a relief.

I've never had any warts at all, so I guess my HPV is the microscopic kind that shows up in the cellular lesions. The key again, is to be proactive! I am not sure when I will have my high-res anoscopy, probably soon though just to be safe.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 01:45:09 am »
If you have a bad reaction just ease up and instead using three times a week reduce to two etc. 
fyi a very small percentage (I am in that group) can have an incredibly bad reaction to aldara and should immediately stop the application and consult their doctor for different treatment.

Personally within 36 hours after a very tiny application I was almost sicker than I had ever been with AIDS - and AIDS hospitalized and nearly killed me a couple of times. I thought something had gone very wrong with my ARV treatment and that I actually had AIDS again. After a week, as I was becoming sicker and sicker, I realized that all the side effects were increasing after the every-other-day treatment. I was hard pressed to get my doctor to see the correlation - until I ended up in the hospital. It took another 2 weeks after I stopped using Aldara before I was finally over all the symptoms.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Newguy

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 01:20:40 pm »

It is absolutely incredible how the human body reacts differently to the same treatment. I said before Aldara worked wonders for me in combination with the HPV shot. The only downfall was that between the two treatments it cost me almost 600! And that was with insurance! Good Luck to the OP on dealing with HPV and leatherman your experience sounds scary, I am happy it ended ok for you.

Good Luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.