Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:11:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 373
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I need help from you dog lovers  (Read 8516 times)

Offline JeffInNYC

I need help from you dog lovers
« on: September 10, 2006, 09:02:37 pm »
Maybe Im jsut being overprotective, but Im worried about my pooch.  When we were playing, I picked him up and noticed he has a small nodule on his right side.  I checked his left side and he doesnt have a bump there.  The dog seems to be ok, eating drinking, playing and we recently went to the vet for a checkup and he got the all clear.  but then I just noticed this...am I being an overprotective dad or you think I should bring him in again and let the vet take a look?

Many of you have dogs...is this common?

Help!!!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: I need help from you dog lovers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:47 pm »
Hi Jeff

My Annie has a small lump on her left side..the Vet said this is just a sebaceous cyst..a lot of dogs get them, especially older dogs, and most lumps are benign..but if this is worrying you then it would do no harm to have the Vet check this out...let us know how you get on, I sometimes think we worry about them more than we do ourselves... :D

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:16:44 pm »
I'm not a dog owner but I play one on TV...actually I pup-sit quite often for friends, am doing it now; plus my dad's a vet.  So where exactly on his right side is it, and does it feel soft or hard, and does it move with the skin or does the skin move over it?  Give me a location, and his age, and his size and no, you're not being an overprotective dad, you're a concerned friend.  Okay, you're an overprotective dad, too, but that's a good thing. You're a good dad.

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:33:37 pm »
He is a year and a half....its on his right side about the middle of his body...its not hard as a rock but it aint all that soft either..I can sort of move it...I mean itsa not like its one of his ribs...but Im not 100% sure since I cant get him to sit still....also he is a little man - about 10 pounds. LOL

I was told that since the vet gave him some shots its probably that this bump is from that and should clear in a few weeks.

HELP - I really love this dog.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:36:36 pm by JeffInNYC »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:52:52 pm »
Hey Jeff

My schnauzer (died in 1999) used to have little lumps like that, the vet said they were harmless.   If it's really bothering you, I'd take the dog back to be looked at.   
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:35:25 pm »
First boil your dog some organic free-range chicken, cut it into little bites and hand feed him. Then call the emergency vet clinic and demand they see your dog right away. Stay up all night worrying and watching your dog...under no circumstances fall asleep. Spend whatever you have to...even if you have to use your credit card.

I know a guy who did this, and it turned out my-I mean his dog had a harmless cyst.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:28:40 am by Dachshund »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 11:37:04 pm »
Here in Texas we usually give shots in the shoulders, not the sides.  Make him lie down and rub it.  If it's not hard, and it doesn't hurt him, it can probably wait for a few months, but if it changes size or texture, get him back to the vet sooner. It will make you feel better, even if it's nothing.

Offline poobear

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 12:57:53 am »
OK from one dog lover to the next.  If it was my sweet little Sadie I would have it checked.  I wouldn't worry all night about it, but I would call the Vet and make an appointment.  Now remember this is coming from an overprotective mom.  Best of Luck and let us know how you pooch makes out.    Rachel

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 07:47:33 am »
My Yorkie used to get subcutaneous cysts quite often. It always bothered me alot even though they were harmless. I was just never sure that this was just another one of those cysts or something different. I always took her and asked the vet to look at it

IF YOU ASK ME, YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO SURE!

My Yorkie, ShyAnnre, died after 12 years. Not because of a cyst though. It was her heart.
This is her in her funny little dog carrier ;D

Peace

Kelly

POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Marshall

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 08:19:47 am »
Hi Jeff

Jullie our 9 year old black lab had them also! They discovered they were just fatty cysts! And were removed quite easily. Are you over protective, no way! When you see the cases of abuse on Animal Planet then I dont think you have anything to worry about. You are just being a responsible dad!

Marshall
You can never have enough friends!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 08:40:16 am »
get dog insurance. everytime I go in now they want to give my dog xrays or mri's. they told me two years ago,he had six months to live. I now pay $150 a month for meds to keep him alive. He wont die. He is costing me more than my hiv drugs.
one of my friends had liposuction done on his dog cause he was so fat. insane.

Offline Christine

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 06:55:38 pm »
Hello Jeff,
It is probably a fatty cyst. But I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Some dogs do get a little injection site reaction to their vaccines also.

You are not being an over protective doggy daddy at all. These are our babies, and we love them. I would do anything for my guys! Let us know how he is doing.

Christine and her silly pack- Pluto, Astro, JinxyRoo and Sullivan
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 10:14:22 pm »
I tried examining him some more and it appears that the bump or nodule or whatever you call it DOES move with the skin...Im assuming this is a good thing?
I talked to a few people and they told me that the rabies shot and bordetella (kennel cough) shots he had recently could indeed cause this reaction.
I called the vet but we seem to be playing phone tag.
I really love this dog - he is my child!   ;D
Thanks everyone for your concern and responses.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 07:33:35 pm »
Jeff,
   Likely it is from the shots that your dog got. I went through the same thing with both Waldo and Baby Elmo when they got their shots. It scared the crap outta me, and I rushed Waldo to the vets office, waited for over an hour, and spent money that I didn't have. It was worth it though, because if any thing had been wrong and I didnothing about it, I would never have been able to forgive myself. Keep the little one safe...
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline randym431

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 09:29:20 pm »
Yea all my 7 dogs get them somewhere. Just some skin thing. If they get too ugly you can have the vet laser them off but that leaves a scar and they tend to return anyway in trhe same spot.

For light haired dogs or thin hair dogs, just watch leaving them out in the sun too much.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline jessica04

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03:36 am »
poor pooch.. i feel sad for him

Offline zach

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 10:33:37 am »
ten year old zombie... that may be a new record

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 11:12:07 am »
ten year old zombie... that may be a new record

It got me, I was so happy to see Jeff back too..... oh well, zombie threads can produce such disappointment.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 12:23:21 am »
It got me, I was so happy to see Jeff back too..... oh well, zombie threads can produce such disappointment.

But it brings Capn Carl back to life. Nothing wrong with that. god bless his soul.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 11:27:30 pm »
But it brings Capn Carl back to life. Nothing wrong with that. god bless his soul.

Thank you.  Carl was the first person in the forums that I got close to that passed away.  I believe it was Seattle he was planning on attending when he suddenly passed. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline weasel

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 11:36:35 am »

OMG !

Brought goose bumps . 
      Captain Carl was my first Facebook friend from the site  :)

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.