Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 353
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Did Anyone suspect 3TC as a minor culprit in this nightmare  (Read 9885 times)

Offline yowsaa

Did Anyone suspect 3TC as a minor culprit in this nightmare
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:58:17 am »
Got off the AZT 9 months ago, but I think my facial lipo is still progressing at a much slower pace. D4T was usually taken in combo with 3TC. Makes me wonder if 3TC was overlooked as a minor contributor.

Comments ??

Figure I got one more year of a social life, after that only go out on Oct 31 where I'll "fit in".

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: Did Anyone suspect 3TC as a minor culprit in this nightmare
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 12:51:35 pm »
From my personal experience  ..more than 10 yrs with the Lipo problem.. a lot of things contribute to the problem..starting with the HIV itself.....some people have HIV..no meds for years and still get Lipo....others have meds for years and no lipo....the data about cause/cure are very spotty ..a few studies but so far no real answers......the Crixivan , Epivir , Zerit all have shown to have an effect..but no one thing seems to be most important...you will see/hear a lot of claims but no definitive answers available.......don't worry about the "skeleton " look...I am a cat 5 ( worst case Lipo )  and have been getting treatments for face with Sculptra...It works..it is relatively painless..may even be covered by insurance in some places.. people keep asking me if I have gained weight  ( haven't gained anything )   but look almost like I did 10 yrs ago...always had skinny legs  and was never very muscular..
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:23:17 pm »
yeah, I always wondered if 3tc might be part of the problem. I had the skin and bones look in mid 90s while on crix. That wasn't any fun but at least you could tell people you were on a diet. Its the weight gain from lipodystrophy and resulting  disfigurement that is really horrible.
In my case I get fat deposits from all PIs including reyataz. WTF do you tell people when you turn into a fat slob overnight? When your triple chin makes it impossible to button any shirt or to wear most clothes you really look strange. Neck size went from a 16.5 to a 24! waist from 36 to 44. The only real luck I have had was when I was off meds completely. I lost 65 pounds I had gained very quickly.
Of course as soon as I started PIs again, I gained much of it back.
I am back on a no carb diet and seeing a little improvement. I also exercise everyday and walk at least three miles a day.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:02:49 pm »
 :o I am afraid you might be right. I have no way of knowing if the d4t I took gave me Lipo alone, or in some kind of combination. Since I've read over and over that d4t is the culprit, I started believing that as well (I am not a chemist, nor MD, so how would I know?). All I know is taken together (I have never taken any other meds at all) all of a sudden 1 1/2 years into treatment (naive prior) I got lipo. Good question! :)

Offline Roxanne

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:28:10 pm »
 :-\Within one month off D4T i looked NORMAL  :)who new

Offline suzieque

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 04:33:51 am »

Hiya,
          As you know from our PM's but I don't know if I mentioned on this forum, I am now off of all NRTI's, just kept getting lipoatrophy!! Am on a solely PI combo, Reyataz, Norvir booster, Saquinavir. A bit out there I think, but it was my docs choice having spoken to all of his colleagues ( he is the head of clinical trails and the top doc in my hospital). I have heard that 3TC has been suspected in causing lipoatrophy, and certainly me and my doc have seen it with several people in Tenofovir. I guess everyones body is different though.
              As always, best wishes,
                           Suzie ;D

Offline mjmel

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 08:25:44 am »
Hi Yowsa.
Facial wasting is tough stuff. Exposes what you use to consider a private matter. Was on Zerit and Epivir for 6 of my 7 yrs. of drug regime. Lotsa lipo/wasting with that plus years of not taking best care of myself =Cat 4. Facial fillers stopped the double takes and stares which I was starting to detect when I'd go out in public. I was thinking along the same lines as you in that I was going to start limiting my social exposures. A couple of trips to Tijuana (to Estetica Clinic) made all the difference. My fillers are bioalcamid; followed by Precise. I would be happy to answer any questions about my experience if you, or anyone else, would like to inquire. PM my mailbox on this site.

Offline Central79

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 11:31:49 am »
Totally would not be surprised if 3TC contributes. It's another thymine analogue, like d4T and AZT, which are known offenders.

It probably got shadowed by d4T, as they are commonly prescribed together.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:48:28 pm »
There was a recent study that compared Sustiva + Abacavir + 3TC against Sustiva + Zerit + ???

I believe the exact figures after somewhere between 1 and 3 years was:  4.8% of 3TC group had lipoatrophy.  38% of the Zerit group had lipo... so the incidence of lipo on Zerit is about 10 times that of 3TC.

I seem to be one of the unlucky 4.8%... but it is mild... and my single sculptra treatment was a success.

Offline way.out.west

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »
I read that all of the NRTIs are suspected in causing lipo, with d4T and AZT being the worst offenders, and 3TC and Abacavir being least likely.  But "least likely" still means that some people may experience lipo. 

Offline lilguru

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:38:03 pm »
Hi everyone.  I began taking combivir and viramune in 2001.  It was about a month after beginning treatment that my belly kind of "blew out". I got fat!  I had never been fat before.  I struggle with my stomach and feel really self-conscious about it.  I am not sure what caused it (3TC?) but I would like to stop the drugs and see if my stomach returns to normal.  (My doctor won't let me stop, but it is a thought I have.) 
September 1987 - HIV+

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.