Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 112
Total: 114

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I may live to regret this  (Read 9881 times)

Offline darryaz

I may live to regret this
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:22:28 am »
Ever since I've lived here I have HATED the wallpaper in my bedroom.

So I decided to do something about it.  Yesterday I bought a scraper and a product called "Piranha" - a wallpaper remover spray.

So in a few minutes I'm going to tackle removing the hideous paper.  Hope I don't end up with a mess!!!

Offline mitch777

Re: I may live to regret this
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:34:20 am »
Ever since I've lived here I have HATED the wallpaper in my bedroom.

So I decided to do something about it.  Yesterday I bought a scraper and a product called "Piranha" - a wallpaper remover spray.

So in a few minutes I'm going to tackle removing the hideous paper.  Hope I don't end up with a mess!!!
Living with ugly wallpaper would drive me up a wall. :P Removing it would too. :P
Have fun!  :) The results will be worth it!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:12:47 am »
I love "projects" - indoors or outdoors  ;D Every place I've ever lived, even the apartments, I've painted or wallpapered. Lost some deposit fees along the way; but it was worth it to not live in ugly rooms. ;)

We used heat guns, scrappers, and elbow grease to remove some wallpaper before. Sadly I've even papered over paper because the removal just wasn't going to happen.

Best of luck! and if perhaps it does end up all a mess, you know we would appreciate some pix, so we can laugh with you (never AT you :D ) about the wallpaper stuck all in your hair and piled up in a big ol' mess in the middle of the room. ROFL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:35 am »
Have you ever read "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman?

From Wikipedia:

Presented in the first person, the story is a collection of journal entries written by a woman whose physician husband has confined her to the upstairs bedroom of a house he has rented for the summer. She is forbidden from working and has to hide her journal from him, so she can recuperate from what he calls a "temporary nervous depression – a slight hysterical tendency," a diagnosis common to women in that period. The windows of the room are barred, and there is a gate across the top of the stairs, allowing her husband to control her access to the rest of the house.

The story depicts the effect of confinement on the narrator's mental health and her descent into psychosis. With nothing to stimulate her, she becomes obsessed by the pattern and color of the wallpaper. "It is the strangest yellow, that wall-paper! It makes me think of all the yellow things I ever saw – not beautiful ones like buttercups, but old foul, bad yellow things. But there is something else about that paper – the smell! ... The only thing I can think of that it is like is the color of the paper! A yellow smell."

Offline darryaz

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:48:53 pm »
GSO, the history of my wallpaper has been on my mind throughout this process.  This house was owned by my dentist's parents for many years so whenever I tackle a remodeling project I ask him about the history of the older decor (this is the 3rd wallpaper project I've done here).

The room I'm doing now was obviously a girl's room (it's pink).  I assume it belonged to the dentist's sister.  She was a good friend of my aunt's.

Sorry, Leatherman - no disaster DYI pictures...... yet.  It looks like the texture on the walls will need to be redone - as I expected.  But nothing any more serious than that.

I've gotten one wall done and I'm quitting for today.  I'm planning to do one wall per day until I'm done.  Fortunately the paper came off fairly easily with just a little scraping.  Did use half the bottle of solvent so I guess I'll have to go back to Lowe's for another one.  I need to browse through paint colors too.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:57:02 pm »
I remember the first night in the house I bought some 30 years ago, my first real estate purchase.   It was a 3 bedroom, 2 bath California wine country house and on my first night alone, I was walking room to room with a glass of wine saying "MINE!". 

In the kitchen... there was green wallpaper with doll buggies, puppy dogs and lollypops.  The previous owner had absolutely NO class or taste at all.  I tore it out before going to bed that night.   8)  Have the best day
Michael 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:33:31 pm »

Good luck!  My ex-wife's sister bought a condo in Miami years ago and it was basically 1700 square feet of wallpaper, even in the bathrooms.  I was the only person who volunteered to help with the removal. 

While my ex and I can't talk for more than 5 minutes without arguing, her sister and I are still best of friends.  I attribute this to that horror story we tackled together in her condo.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 02:30:37 pm »
Also, remember for next time, you can paint over most wallpaper.  But its good to get old paper down off the walls.  And repaper, if you know how. I don't.
Most of the apartments I've had have been in old buildings with plaster walls.  Thus paper.  Its not so easy to repaper, so I learned that a good paint store is my friend...
They sell me paint to solve any problem!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:31:37 pm »
When we bought our home, the kitchen had green vine wallpaper on the walls, with a white background.  It was such a bitch to remove.  Hours of scraping, using that tool thing, and spraying that remover on.  I think it would have been easier to take out the drywall and start over. 

I kinda felt bad, when the previous owner stopped by to pick up mail.  The look on her face said it all.  We found a receipt where she had the wallpaper done, as well as painting the cabinets.  She had the cabinets painted white with vines on them.  The workers took advantage of the old lady.  To paint the cabinets alone, they charged her like $1,500.  We determined she had it all done to sell the house.  We painted over the cabinets as well, until we afford new ones.  So, you could tell she was thinking what a waste of money that was.  But, she shouldn't have painted and wallpapered with something so taste specific, but I digress.

So, good luck.  Since we know how to drywall, I think I would just tear it out, if we ever have to do it in a future home.  My arms, neck, and back were sore for weeks.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »
take out the drywall and start over. 

I may get to do a bit of drywall work anyway.  This house was built in 1968 and has an intercom/internal radio speaker in each room.  The system hasn't worked in years and the speakers are an ugly old-looking yellowish plastic.  I'm seriously considering removing the speaker and patching the drywall (it's about a 5-inch square hole).  I drywalled a room by myself back in 1993 and it turned out pretty good.  I hope I can still remember how to do it.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »
This house was built in 1968 and has an intercom/internal radio speaker in each room.  The system hasn't worked in years and the speakers are an ugly old-looking yellowish plastic. 

HA! I have those Intercom/speakers in each room of my house, including at the front door outside, and then there is a "Main" station in the kitchen (an ugly 1960's green), where you can control the mono radio stations for each room, and/or speak to everyone or just one room via intercom. It doesn't work and hasnt since I was like 11. But since it's so retro with lots of memories I keep it as it is. But my speakers are brass colored :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:12:44 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15:58 pm »
We had those 70 's intercom in our house and I hated it because my parents used it to wake us up or school by putting on bad music ... waking up to You Light Up My Life is not the best way to start the day .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:26:47 pm »
We had those 70 's intercom in our house and I hated it because my parents used it to wake us up or school by putting on bad music ... waking up to You Light Up My Life is not the best way to start the day .

My grandma used to wake us up on Sundays via intercom with her scraggly voice saying "You kids get up now and rejoice, it's the day of our Lord! ...and dont make me come in there with a switch and whup yall!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:29:35 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:29:13 pm »
My grandma used to wake us up on Sundays Via intercom with her scraggly voice saying "You kids get up now and rejoice, it's the day of our Lord! ...and dont make me come in there with a switch and whup yall!

LOL ... my grandma didn't have an intercom but she had a morning saying , Waken Waken Eggs and Bacon .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 10:31:17 pm »
, Waken Waken Eggs and Bacon .

I like that better.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 08:21:33 am »
I was awoken with "up and at em'". My interpretation was "up in Adam". It's no wonder I'm gay. :)

I now feel that I was deprived as a kid after hearing about all of you guys growing up with that built in high tech gadgetry. I had to settle for one of those Panasonic round radios that came with a chain attached and was available in many colors.

Back on topic...
Good luck with wall #2 today Darry! :)

Offline darryaz

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:04:07 am »
Yes, Wumpy, the main station in the kitchen is especially ugly.  I found a pic online.  Mine is similar to this one:

Offline darryaz

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 09:06:22 am »
And here's the ugliness in each room of the house:

Offline mitch777

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:37 am »
Lovely! ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:12 am »
You could listen to what's going on in any room from the kitchen with those intercoms  ... and you can get grounded for a week for doing it also . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 10:53:24 am »
You could listen to what's going on in any room from the kitchen with those intercoms  ... and you can get grounded for a week for doing it also .
LOL! Now I don't feel so deprived. :)

Offline darryaz

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 10:32:13 am »
UPDATE:  The wallpaper is gone...... took me longer than expected as I got busy with other things for a couple of weeks.  But I jumped back on it yesterday and got all the paper down.  Today I'm filling holes and patching ugly spots in the texture.

Hopefully I'll be painting by mid-week.

I finally picked a paint color.  Here's what I decided on:

http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explore-colors/color-selector.html?colors=6005-1B

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 10:44:03 am »
UPDATE:  The wallpaper is gone...... took me longer than expected as I got busy with other things for a couple of weeks.  But I jumped back on it yesterday and got all the paper down.  Today I'm filling holes and patching ugly spots in the texture.

Hopefully I'll be painting by mid-week.

I finally picked a paint color.  Here's what I decided on:

http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explore-colors/color-selector.html?colors=6005-1B
It must be a relief to get THAT part done!
(the link to your color choice didn't show what you chose)

Offline darryaz

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 10:45:43 am »
(the link to your color choice didn't show what you chose)

It's on the far right side

Offline darryaz

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
Here's a link to Lowe's color sample.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_26552-4-60051BOATLANDSSUBTLE_0__?productId=3810131

On Lowe's website the color looks a lot "pinker" than it really is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 10:57:39 am »
It's on the far right side
I'm still not seeing it on your first link. Maybe my thinking is stinking or need to start drinking. Saw the pink in the second link. :)
Pink is cool. :) As long as it's not Pepto Bismol pink.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.