Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:45:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 493
Total: 493

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Odor Problems  (Read 6646 times)

Offline cthonias

Odor Problems
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:37 am »
I'm not sure if it's HIV or the meds, but I've been dealing with an odor problem.

I notice it more when I sweat a lot and also if I have eaten fatty/sugary foods?  Also, I particularly notice it when I have a long masterbation session. Even if I trim the hair and take a shower, I can still smell the odor eminating from there if I rub there and smell my fingers. I know this is a realy disgusting topic, but I don't know how to deal with this.

I tried to talk to my doctor about it, but the couple of times I asked him, of course I didn't have the odor. But I have to say that it's there about 90% of the time. It gets really embarrassing for me if I'm ever intimate with someone since obviously, that's when it seems to show up the most.

I've tried taking long baths with bath salts to extract toxins. It seems to help a bit.

What's the deal? Does it have to do with yeast? Parasites? Something else?

I want to smell normal again!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Odor Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 07:42:34 am »
Well maybe you don't pong as bad as you think you do dear. Has anyone told you that you reek or is it just something that you've noticed?

MtD
(Who admires a strong scented male)

Offline cthonias

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:55:21 pm »
No. But trust me, it's not just a subtle odor that's only in my head. It's pungent and quit obvious. On the rare occassion that I do hookup, I try and shower immediately before and even then, I try to keep my distance from my partner. I know it sounds weird, but I like to play safe to begin with so it's usually mutual j/o. Add this problem and it makes it even more uncomfortable to be intimate with others.

My doctor did mention that people with HIV can have "yeast problems". Is this true? Anyone else notice a change once they became HIV/started taking meds?

By the way, I'm using Viread/Videx/Sustiva.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:10:51 pm »
Never heard of odor/yeast problems with meds before (well except for anti-biotics).  Talk to your HIV doctor about it in more detail.  Did you just start taking HIV meds (i.e., can you all but confirm the problems started after you started meds or at least this particular combination)? 

BTW- Make sure your doctor is keeping an eye on how your body is reacting to the meds.  I thought there was a warning issued about using Viread, Videx and Sustiva (or Viramune) in combination together.  Primarily because a) the level of Videx in your system increases when combined with Viread so you have a greater chance of experiencing serious side effects from Videx and b) there was a higher than expected failure rate for certain people on this combo.  If your numbers are great then you probably don't have anything to worry about, but just be aware.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/advisories-avis/prof/2005/videx_viread_hpc-cps_e.html

Cliff

Offline cthonias

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 06:13:05 am »
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I've been using the combo for 3 years now. The Videx dosage was cut in half to compensate for this combo. I went to undetectable instantly and my t-cells have slowly crawled from 198 to over 400 over those 3 years.

Clearly I'm scared of what meds can do to me and I worry every day that I have the right doctor. He doesn't seem to be very patient and I felt rushed into this combo. Now I feel I'm kind of stuck with it and paranoid about changing it.

I suffered from appendicitis last year, too. I know there is no connection to HIV and meds, but I also wonder about that, too. My doctor mis-diagnosed me over the phone and I almost died from it. My hospital stay for a week after that also was a nightmare. My faith in doctors and nurses has completely disappeared over the last 3 years. The idea of talking to a doctor about anything is actually laughable to me now. I feel like as long as I'm alive, it must be ok. It's all too overwhelming and vague.

:-[

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:30:02 am »
Your problem sounds very annoying.  Have you considered a nutritionist?  It does sound like a systemic problem, I don't know what.  More importantly I think you need to address your issues with your doctor.  It isn't good to not have confidence and comfort with the person responsible for keeping you alive.  Perhaps you need to start seeing another doc.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 11:20:44 am »
Clearly I'm scared of what meds can do to me and I worry every day that I have the right doctor. He doesn't seem to be very patient and I felt rushed into this combo. Now I feel I'm kind of stuck with it and paranoid about changing it.

As mentioned above, these may be good enough reasons for you to (a) seek a second opinion about your current combo and/or (b) start searching for a different doc who you feel more comfortable communicating with.  Cliff is right about the warning regarding the combo you are on.  While it has worked for you the past 3 years, there is strong evidence for other combos which are well tolerated (such as switching the Videx to Epivir or Emtriva).  Haven't really heard of these meds causing odor problems that you described, though.  Good luck.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:43:52 am »
Hello

Get your doctor(& it does sound like a new one might be in order) to check liver, kidney , and thyroid function, diabetes, and for other infections/parasites (eg UTI, candida etc)

From what you’ve said about sugary/fatty foods..yes, that does suggest some sort of systemic yeast infection - most people would describe a sort of "beery" smell with this. your dr can prescribe an anti-fungal medication, if this is the case. Also, try eating more live yogurt, taking a probiotic supplement, a zinc supplement, and cutting out/cutting down on  refined sugars and animal fats. Intestinal flora, very easily disrupted in some people, and almost any medications can contribute.

There is another condition, related to enzyme deficiency - specifically, lack of flavin monooxygenases, i believe(these break food residues down to a neutral state ready for excretion). This would usually cause quite a noticeable smell, like, er, fish…if that is the case, reducing foods high in carnitine , lysine, and lecithin and choline should help.

Kate
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:03:08 pm by penguin »

Offline Christine

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 06:28:28 pm »
Could you have a sinus infection that is causing you to smell things differently?

Yeast can be a problem with hiv+, I've had problems with thrush and vaginal yeast infections, but I can't say I have ever noticed a smell.

I do agree with the other posts. Having a doctor you trust and feel comfortable with does make the whole experience easier.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:36:29 pm »
Hello,

Are you taking vitamins / supplements/ antioxidents/Herbs ??  If so, are you taking  these as prescribed, and not "overdoing it"

I had never had the odor problem as you described, but if the doctor says all your blood test are normal,(rules out yeast infection), then start looking into the vitamins (ETC) that you take, if that is the case.

Let us know how your doing-------Ray
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:41:21 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 07:56:57 pm »
is this a musky man scent? maybe it's just pheromones.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.