Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 15, 2024, 01:24:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37594
  • Latest: FloBeee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772732
  • Total Topics: 66292
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 166
Total: 167

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World cup  (Read 26863 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: World cup
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »
Ha!  Always as a Yank! 

Wait 'til you've been here as long as I have, you'll change your tune, mister. You already talk the lingo -"the weather is supposed to absolutely brilliant this weekend... " I'm betting "brilliant" isn't exactly Texan for "great". Look at you, you're already talking about the weather.

Jan, yes, the Kiwis did well.

But I'm still really pissed off about that 92 minute goal. Fuckwads. Lucky gits.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 01:16:55 am »

Edited to add:...although I was disappointed about the result of last night's game, and even though NZ are now out of the World Cup, I just wanted to say they played some good fooball, and the Kiwi's are still proud of them..well done lads.

Absolutely. Kiwis left the tournament undefeated. Mucho respect!

I hope we give Germany the kicking the Aussies couldn't manage.

Ah, that'll be a good match. The very soul of football.  ;D
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 08:46:12 am »

Ah, that'll be a good match. The very soul of football. ;D

Whenever England draws Germany for a match, I always think of the Football Truce of Chirstmas Day in 1915 when the Germans and English came out of their trenches and played some footie in no-man's-land. That was sweet.

However. As for Sunday's match, Germania est delenda!!!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 11:07:38 am »
However. As for Sunday's match, Germania est delenda!!!

You better wake up Mr Rooney then. And start practicing those penalties.   :o

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »
You better wake up Mr Rooney then. And start practicing those penalties.   :o

Oh I hate penalty shoot-outs! They're much too nerve-racking. ~shudder~

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fearless

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2010, 02:54:05 am »
I'm all for the mother country now. C'mon England!!! Beyond that, as an Aussie I have a soft spot for the underdog so I'll also get behind the USA.

Let the real games begin now.

PS. Ann. Aussie Rules closest relation would be gaelic football, but any link seems tenuous. It was around a long time before Webb Ellis picked up a ball and ran with it for the birth of Rugby Union. It's a game unto itself really, and not my favourite. It's a southern game. The best description of it I've ever heard is it's like sea gulls chasing a chip.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2010, 10:17:33 am »

I have a soft spot for the underdog so I'll also get behind the USA.

No way man. I'm still pissed off at them for that fucking unfortunate 92 minute goal. Fuckwads. Opportunist rat fucks. Amateurs.

The best description of it I've ever heard is it's like sea gulls chasing a chip.

I like that. Can I use it?

Ann
(who is still knitting her brow over the whole football/rugby/soccer/whatever differences)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2010, 12:52:57 pm »
No way man. I'm still pissed off at them for that fucking unfortunate 92 minute goal. Fuckwads. Opportunist rat fucks. Amateurs.

Ann
(who is still knitting her brow over the whole football/rugby/soccer/whatever differences)

You better be careful missy.  You're still legally tethered to the US and if you don't stop this treasonous blather, I'll have the Pres. send one of the predator drones to the Isle of Man.  That'll teach you!

RAB  :P

(who is a patriot if nothing else!)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2010, 01:12:40 pm »

Bah. I eat predator drones for breakfast.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline gemini20

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »
Bollocks, now I have to survive another 4 years before I get to see England win a World Cup.

Woeful performances throughout the whole tournament, big name players who failed to turn up when it mattered.

Only upside is listening to the post-mortem on Radio 5 Live.

Well played Germany though I wonder how things might have turned out if that goal had been given - how did the officials miss that!!!!!!!

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Cliff

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2010, 01:44:52 pm »
England did ok, if you forget the defending bit.  They looked really slow and unfit compared to the Germans.  Cue the blame game.

Bringing the stars worked for the US in Olympic basketball, but doesn't seem to work for England.  Shame.

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2010, 02:19:54 pm »

Well played Germany though I wonder how things might have turned out if that goal had been given - how did the officials miss that!!!!!!!

Thanks Emma. I have no idea how this goal could have been overlooked. Sometimes things like this happen. With respect to the Wembley goal 66, I think we're now quits... Anyways, think positive: You were spared the horrible experiences of yet another desastrous penalty shoot-out.  ;)

Next round hopefully against Argentina, which is another one of our favourite enemies rivals!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2010, 05:50:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about England, unfortunately we only get the highlights over here in NZ, and they don't show them until either 5pm or 11.30pm, so can't comment on the game.

I think they start showing the games live from the Quarter Finals onwards...at least I hope they bloody  do.

Only two of my original predictions are still in the running...Brazil and Argentina.~~sigh~~~

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jody

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2010, 11:14:25 pm »
I feel bad for my friends in England and on the Rock of the Irish sea, but happy for Cerrid of course.  Anyway now one of New York's sensationalist tabloids says that Americans think soccer is stupid anyway.

Oh well I know less than anyone about soccer, sorry football, ;) -except maybe Rab- but would replay be a good idea if it's not already used or would that take away the human element.? Also folks are saying on TV and radio that there is alot of "flopping" going on, I don't know I think when a young man gets slammed when he is in a prone position (not that I have ever been prone ;)) he is bound to flop, uh I mean drop.  

Oh well personally I wasn't too sad that the U.S. lost to Ghana, I figure those fellows got a big thrill and could use a lift for their folks back hone in Africa.  So I suppose I will never be too passionate about soccer, football, kickball to me really, you just can't teach an old dog new tricks Jan (just like that Rab fellow).  There is great beauty and grace to the sport I suppose but I still figure any sport where you've got to use your head can't be too smart anyhow.  :)

But well done for your NZ team  Jan, they did well with so many ties. One more damned goal for the Kiwi boys !!!

Jody :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:26:09 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline fearless

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2010, 05:38:29 am »
Of course you can use it Ann. It's the most apt description I've heard for the game yet.

Gemini - too funny. 4 more years till they win. More chance you'll win the lottery. It's kinda fun watching them choke every 4 years. Bit like the All-blacks in Rugby Yawnion.

Jan, you'll have to move back to Aus next time to watch every game live. This time round we even have commentary in three languages - Strayan, and the language of the two competing teams.
Must admit, i was surprised you even had tellie. thought you might have had to listen on short wave radio or summin'.  ;D

Who do I go for now though. mmmmm. Japan, as the last team from Asia or Argentina as the homeland of the father of the twins. decisions, decisions

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2010, 09:14:45 am »

You were spared the horrible experiences of yet another desastrous penalty shoot-out.  ;)

That was the only good thing about the game, at least from an English perspective. The Germans played well and deserved to win - yes, I'll concede that. Somewhat grudgingly.  Hrmph.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 02:07:16 am »
Well I finally got to see the England v Germany game, and have to agree Germany played the better game..but very bad refereeing, England should hv egone out on a draw.

I'm still going for Brazil v Argentina for the Final.

Who do you think will be in the Final?

Hugs

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 12:17:34 pm »

I'm still going for Brazil v Argentina for the Final.

Who do you think will be in the Final?

Hugs

Argentina v Brazil isn't too far fetched. However, I think the German youngsters are bit better as a team, so I think Germany will beat Argentina. It's a pity because I'm quite a fan of Maradona and I'd love to see his incredible career crowned by the title.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:12 pm »

It's a pity because I'm quite a fan of Maradona and I'd love to see his incredible career crowned by the title.

We were discussing him in the pub last night and came to the conclusion that if Argentina wins the cup, his nickname will go from being "The Hand of God" to "The Son of God". ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 03:39:32 pm »
I hate Maradona.  Do they drug test Coaches? 

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »

I hope this works it's well worth watching...Hitler and the World Cup.

"http://www.youtube.com/v/z-Ln_rqPpPk&hl=en_US&fs=1"

Hugs

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2010, 01:17:59 am »

I hope this works it's well worth watching...Hitler and the World Cup.

"http://www.youtube.com/v/z-Ln_rqPpPk&hl=en_US&fs=1"

Hugs

Come on Jan, get with the programme!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2010, 04:20:34 pm »
Netherlands beat Brazil 2:1! Another top team leaves the tournament earlier than anticipated. Amazing! And congrats Dutchies!!!

What more surprises will we see?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 05:28:23 am »
I don't know why anyone is surprised the Netherlands beat Brazil. It was only the Netherlands and Argentina who won all three first-round matches.

I think it will be Netherlands v Argentina.

We'll see.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2010, 01:08:56 pm »

I think it will be Netherlands v Argentina.

We'll see.

Buenos noches, Argentina! Hunnies beat Gauchos 4:0 !!!  ;D

Amazing match. The German team was flying across the lawn, the Argentinians never really had a chance. Could quite possibly be Germany vs Netherlands in the final. Especially with boyz like this.  Hooray!!! :D

Offline fearless

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2010, 11:31:14 pm »
I'm going for Podolskis... I mean, Germany

Offline Cliff

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »
He certainly is cute!

Offline Jody

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »
Germany scores so many goals that our dear Cerrid must be jumping up and down regularly!
Great exercise. :)

My co-workers loved the exciting game today with the Netherlands winning with 2 goals in a brief period.....My prediction which you've undoubtedly been waiting for with baited breath is that the Netherlands will win the World Cup.

Now bet your money elsewhere ;)

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2010, 09:44:12 pm »
Come on Jan, get with the programme!

OOPS missed that one...bloody "brilliant" in it.. ;)

Looks like I totally lucked out in the World cup stakes~~sigh~~

hugs

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2010, 10:02:22 pm »
I'm also liking the Netherlands to win. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
It's official - Spain beats Germany 1-0 for their first ever spot in the World Cup final! Much partying will ensue in Spain tonight, no doubt.

So it's Spain v Netherlands for the win - and I'm still predicting a win for the Netherlands. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2010, 04:57:49 pm »
Well done Spain...I'm with you Ann, I think Netherland will win the cup, but having said that I've always been a sucker for the underdog, so I won't be disappointed if Spain wins.. ;)

Hugs
Jan ;)

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »
Yay, congrats Spaniards. But we'll meet again!  ;D

I hope the Dutchies get the title. It'll be a first time for either of them teams. Last time the Netherlands managed to get to the final was 32 years ago, they were then defeated by Argentina. Before, 1974, they lost against Germany. In their third trial, it would be just fair. But Spain will give them a hard time. A very hard time. Good luck Dutchies!

Now I will continue getting pissed.  :D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »
Nowt wrong with a "hard time".

;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:13 pm »
Nowt wrong with a "hard time".

;D

Ok I know this is hard for you Ann..but keep your mind on the Footie..for now at least.. ;D ;)

Hugs

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »
Ok I know this is hard for you Ann..but keep your mind on the Footie..for now at least.. ;D ;)

Hugs

Damn, do I have to?

~sulk~

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »
There, there..(pats back) it won't be for long, now lift the lip lady... ;)

Hugs

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2010, 10:41:14 pm »
There, there..(pats back) it won't be for long, now lift the lip lady... ;)

Hugs

You don't know what I've got lined up for tomorrow night.

heh

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2010, 10:44:23 pm »
You don't know what I've got lined up for tomorrow night.

heh

I may be getting old, but I still have a good imagination.. ;D

Enjoy.

Hugs

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2010, 01:05:27 am »
So who's winning/won this thing?  I'm a little curious since you guys have been talking about it but I have a lot going on lately so all I know is that the US is out of it.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2010, 01:26:05 am »
So who's winning/won this thing?  I'm a little curious since you guys have been talking about it but I have a lot going on lately so all I know is that the US is out of it.

Diesel fuel prices must be low in your area. :)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2010, 07:30:30 am »
So who's winning/won this thing?  I'm a little curious since you guys have been talking about it but I have a lot going on lately so all I know is that the US is out of it.

For those of you who are computerly challenged (~looks at Mr Hell~) and don't understand how to follow the links provided earlier in this thread, here's what the action looks like so far:

QUARTER FINALS

Netherlands 2-1 Brazil

Uruguay 1-1 Ghana   Uruguay goes on to win 4-2 in penalties

Germany 4-0 Argentina (don't cry for me!)

Paraguay 0-1 Spain

SEMI-FINALS

Netherlands 3-2 Uruguay

Germany 0-1 Spain

THIRD PLACE

To be played Saturday 10 July @ 19:30 BST

Uruguay v. Germany

WORLD CUP FINAL

To be played Sunday 11 July @ 19:30 BST

Netherlands v. Spain

May the best team win!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2010, 11:41:05 am »
THIRD PLACE
To be played Saturday 10 July @ 19:30 BST
Uruguay v. Germany

WORLD CUP FINAL
To be played Sunday 11 July @ 19:30 BST
Netherlands v. Spain

May the best team win!

Quite so! By now, you've probably all heard of Paul, the Psychic Octopus.

English-born Paul the octopus has achieved global fame after correctly predicting the results of all of Germany's games at the tournament in South Africa. The psychic cephalopod is kept at Sea Life in Oberhausen, which is in western Germany. Here’s how he picks: His keepers present Paul with the choice of two glass boxes, both containing a mussel but each bearing the flag of a different country. Whichever box of food he opens first is considered his prediction.

With his 9 brains and 3 hearts, he predicted all 6 German matches during this WC right.

Finally, here are Paul's predictions for the last two games of the tournament (warning: spoiler!):

Germany - Uruguay
Spain - Netherlands

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
We tried that here with our very own Mystic Octopus, just for laughs, (we are having our Rugby World Cup is next year), South Africa are here playing the All Blacks at the moment...obviously our Mystic Octopus knows nothing about Rugby, he picked SA to win, I can see where he is going to end up... ;D

I've decide to put my bets on Spain...they played a hell of a game against Germany.

Hugs

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2010, 02:32:17 am »
We tried that here with our very own Mystic Octopus, just for laughs, (we are having our Rugby World Cup is next year), South Africa are here playing the All Blacks at the moment...obviously our Mystic Octopus knows nothing about Rugby, he picked SA to win, I can see where he is going to end up... ;D

I've decide to put my bets on Spain...they played a hell of a game against Germany.

Hugs

Kalamari anyone?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2010, 02:49:24 am »
Kalamari anyone?

LOL...well it was his first time, so maybe we should give him another chance... ;)

hugs

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2010, 02:50:30 am »
Octopus Paul is predicting that Spain will win the World Cup, I guess he's not aware that Paella is Spain's national dish and what it's ingredients are   ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:52:21 am by Grasshopper »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2010, 01:05:44 am »
Ok..I'm on night duty tonight and the World Cup final starts here at 5.30am..I hope my little home town is in good health and everyone behaves themselves, I don't want any fights or speeing cars racing through town and missing corners because I don't want to be called out and miss the footie..I'm just saying OK!!!... ;)

I'm still thinking Spain.

Hugs

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2010, 08:01:30 pm »
My little home town came through for me..only two call outs (nothing serious) and back to the station in plenty of time to see the Final, and after all my terrible predictions I finally picked the right team... ;D

Well done Spain.

Hugs

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »
My little home town came through for me..only two call outs (nothing serious) and back to the station in plenty of time to see the Final, and after all my terrible predictions I finally picked the right team... ;D

Well done Spain.

Hugs

I have a dutch friend and he got mad at me when I randomly guessed that Spain would win.  All that orange in the stadium to no avail

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.