Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 316
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: New info...please assess  (Read 9924 times)

Offline panicandcincerned

New info...please assess
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:06 pm »
Just over a year ago I lost the girl of my dreams when I found out that years earlier I contracted herpes from someone else.  She wasn't infected but it freaked me out and I was rejected by her.  It was tough.  So almost a year later I was trying to get back out there and date.  I was self-conscious and decided to use an STD dating site and met someone in my condition.

The sex was unprotected and it happened about 5 or 6 times over the month of January.  I actually tried to have a relationship with her but she was standoffish and she told me she had to deal with some rejection on this too and she was coming off a longterm relationship.

So about 4 weeks after our last time I went into work one day and just felt really weak.  Nothing else specific.  I told her about this and she never responded to me after that.  She had some mild her heart issues that she was having to deal with and she did talk about being tired quite a bit.

My overactive mind though started questioning this and pretty soon I was basically having panic attacks.  I started having major electrical pulses shooting to all of my nerves and I felt quite weak.  Then I got a sore throat earlier this week and got a strep test that was positive but it has been slow to improve on antibiotics.  I got an HIV test last week and the results may or may not be ready but I have been very anxious over the results.  I dont think I have had fever or rash and the throat is supposedly strep.

I understand that this test is 6 weeks from last exposure and should be 95% conclusive.  The clinic was not going to call unless it was positive and they did not call last week.  Test given on Tuesday.  I have been feeling somewhat better when I am not panicking but this has my entire life on edge and I have nowhere to turn.

Anybody tell me how likely it is that I am positive?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: I know it was stupid now but...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:09:26 pm »
You need to stop having sex without condoms. Your having herpes is totally irrelevant to the issue of your practicing safer sex to protect yourself from HIV.

It is significantly harder to transmit HIV from female to male, but lower risk is not the same as no risk. The odds are in your favor that you're going to test negative. You need to test at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident in order to have conclusively negative result.

When you have unprotected intercourse outside of a securely monogamous and HIV tested relationship you are putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that. So respect yourself and your
partner(s) and start using condoms everytime. No exceptions.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:23:55 am »
So my test at 6 weeks was negative and I plan to have another test at 3 months for it to be conclusive but the same day I had the test I ended up testing positive for strep.  I finished the antibiotics but the white spots and the light discoloration on the back of my tongue is still present.  Is this a concern for HIV or anything else?  I haven't really had fever for about 3 weeks now.  Should I get this looked at or is it nothing very serious and will go away in time?  I'm still trying to not think the worst.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:10 am »
panic,

Your six week negative is unlikely to change. If you're worried about your throat, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

New info...please assess
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:34:01 pm »
So in an earlier thread I reported my 6.5 week negative result.  That thread was closed so briefly I will give you the cliff notes:

No symptoms til 4.5 weeks, vaginal unprotected during menses, her status unknon and she is not responding.  No symptoms of any kind til 4.5 weeks, diagnosed with strep night of the day I took HIV test.

So the throat issue hasn't cleared up.  I went to clinic and they werent sure what to do.  I tested negative for strep flu and mono.  Throat ulcers, pus and white discharge still there (now for 6 weeks).  Just brings up a lot of saliva but I'm sure it is yeasty.  Clinic gave me penicillin shot a week ago.
Then a few days later saw my doc and without doing any tests on me he said I was still fighting off the strep throat.  He also said no reason to HIV test but if I wanted to I could in like July.  Put me on Zoloft which I probably do need for anxiety.  I'm also taking Prilosec.  Any chance acute HIV could produce infection this far out? 6 weeks?  I've never had anything like this before.
Not to mention the diarhea but I'm betting thats the meds.  Just seems like a perfect storm and I really never get sick usually.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline RapidRod

Re: New info...please assess
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:26:42 am »
Return to your original thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:53:46 am »
panic,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. (Your thread was NEVER "closed") It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You must be getting very close to your three month test - and yes, I do still expect it to return a negative result.

Nothing you report is hiv specific. Keep working with your doctor to find out what is going on. It's highly unlikely to be anything to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 06:02:15 am »
It’s been a little over 10 weeks since the last and most risky exposure.  This ulcery sore throat has been plaguing me off and on for awhile now.  Is it possible with HIV to have a throat issue for this long during primary infection phase?  The arch from tonsils to uvula and behind towards esophagus have ulcers on them or white spots.  Dry mouth, occasional frothy saliva that can fill my mouth fast.  Not sure if this is a form of thrush or if it is always the cottage cheese or painted on look I have seen in pictures.  My stomach constantly feels like its trembling and there is a burning sensation in the back of my throat but no issue swallowing or no fever.  Three days ago neck lymph nodes were hard and painful.  Used a cold compress and they subsided next day.  Not sure if I should eat more or less either.  And my work is so busy I can’t get away any more than I have.  I keep telling myself my 6.5 week test was pretty conclusive considering I’m usually healthy although admittedly neurotic guy but I am getting therapy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:55:18 am »
Panic,

You need to have your throat swabbed and the swab cultured for yeast among other things. The antiboitics could have caused thrush (yeast).

This sore throat is something you need to discuss with your doctor - and it's nothing to do with hiv. We won't discuss your throat with you here further - see your doctor.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:16:39 pm »
Ok, not on the subject of my throat but please answer a few other questions.

I still experience a periodic tingle every now and then.  Considering my panic attack during week 5 where I was basically feeling supercharged electricity throughout my whole body not to mention my diet was basically caffeine and starch for awhile could I have created an autoimmune response causing the candida?  Could that have kept me from developing antibodies at 6.5 weeks?

I am becoming concerned over testing again as it tore me up last time.  Therapy is helping me calm down but it is week 10 now and part of me is trying to face doing the test again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 04:51:57 am »
Panic,

None of the things you're bringing here have anything to do with hiv. If you feel unwell, see a doctor.

Your six week negative is very unlikely to change, as you've been told.

You will not be permitted to use this site to continue to go on and on about how unwell you feel. If you feel that bad, go see a doctor. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »
The candida concerns me.  I have never experienced this before and all I see is that it is associated with HIV.  Frothy saliva and the taste of metal in my mouth.  And the throat ulcer issues.  Can stress cause candida?  So many confusing things out there and my doctor just says I am fine and no need to test again.  If I want I can test in 4 months he says.  I have been better lately and dealing with it but the fear creeps in at times.

I guess when I hear that these are the symptoms on sites that it seems inconsistent when I hear this has nothing to do with HIV.  So much stuff makes it confusing.  I’m just trying to make sense of it all.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 05:40:33 am »
Panic,

None of the things you're bringing here have anything to do with hiv. If you feel unwell, see a doctor.

Your six week negative is very unlikely to change, as you've been told.

You will not be permitted to use this site to continue to go on and on about how unwell you feel. If you feel that bad, go see a doctor. We cannot help you with that here.

And please don't make me repeat myself again. We've told you all we can. Get your three month confimation and get on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 02:16:21 am »
Please help me on this cause I am confused.  I have been dealing with partially digested food in my stool.  Is this related to yeast and/or acute hiv?  Leaky gut syndrome?  Is this something serious I need to look into or could it just be diarrhea side effect due to medications: Zoloft, Nyastin, Prilosec.  This whole thing has me so scared and freaked out.  I just need some advice.  I will be doing three month test soon but still dealing with throat issues (not painful but spots still there in back of throat and tonsils to uvula).  This is going on for some time now.  I fear now if I am positive I have had so many weird things wrong that I will be a fast progressor.  Still no fever but weird symptoms.  I’m trying to cut out caffeine as I have a bit of an addiction to it but it may be contributing to my problems.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 04:08:49 am »
pan,

As we've repeatedly told you, your six week negative result is highly unlikely to change.

If you feel unwell, go see a doctor. Nothing you report - NOTHING - has anything to do with hiv.

GO SEE A DOCTOR! We cannot diagnose you here and we won't even try. GO SEE A DOCTOR!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 09:48:14 pm »
I did go back to the doc today.  Saw a different one in same office.  She is doing blood work on me to see if there is any other infection going on with me but won’t test me till 6 months in July.  She didn’t offer much help but did increase my Zoloft dosage.  She said I am probably fine but also said if you’ve got it then you’ve got it…nothing you can do about it now.  And get this…they will probably have a cure in my lifetime.  That’s what I got today.  She said my test was 90% or so conclusive.  I’m trying to chalk this up to lousy bedside manner but she didn’t help me too much today.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 10:04:28 pm »
I did go back to the doc today.  Saw a different one in same office.  She is doing blood work on me to see if there is any other infection going on with me but won’t test me till 6 months in July.  She didn’t offer much help but did increase my Zoloft dosage.  She said I am probably fine but also said if you’ve got it then you’ve got it…nothing you can do about it now.  And get this…they will probably have a cure in my lifetime.  That’s what I got today.  She said my test was 90% or so conclusive.  I’m trying to chalk this up to lousy bedside manner but she didn’t help me too much today.

You don't need to test out to six months.  3 months is when you can obtain your conclusive test result.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 06:21:12 am »
pan,

If your regular doctor won't confirm your negative result for you at the appropriate time of three months, you can find a testing center near you by entering your zip code in our hiv services database. Go get tested and get it over with.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 08:14:03 pm »
So get this…I picked up copy of my test results today.  The collection date of the sample was a week and a half after my actual sample.  I talked to the manager at the clinic and what I was told was they ordered me a western blot test originally (and not because of a positive elisa) and they tried to call and cancel the order but they already ran the test and it was negative but they reran the elisa over a week later on the same sample.  Also negative.  Can I trust the result at all at this point or is the WB more specific and even better news for me?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 09:04:38 pm »
The western blot is more specific and always trumps an Ellisa. You're HIV negative. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:18 pm »
This was my original 6.5 week test...I still need to retest at this time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 06:05:18 am »
Pan,

Going by your previous posts, it looks like you're in week twelve or thirteen. Go test and get your conclusive, confirmatory negative result. BUT - I don't want to see you posting again until you've got your result in hand. There's NOTHING new to add to your thread - re-read it again if you need reassurance.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »
I will be summoning the courage to go retest this week.  I will be seeing my doc again tomorrow.  I have lost so much weight and I can’t keep food down with diarrhea.  I stil have a bacterial infection throat with ulcers for 3 months now.  Tired and uneasy feeling in my body.  I may also have leaky gut syndrome.  The more I try to gain weight the more I seem to lose.  I fear if I have this I may be a fast progressor too.  This is very scary and no one seems to have any answers.

Wish me luck and hopefully I will be only putting in one more post with a negative test rather than being moved to the Just Tested Poz forum.  The therapy is helping me with not only fear of illness but self esteem and feelings of hopelessness in life.  I have basically no social support group as I have always kinda been on my own.   If I have to go through this it will be alone or with the good people on this forum.  I know I have been a pain but this has been something very scary for me.  Thank you all for putting up with me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
You don't have to feel brave to re-test. Go in with your knees quaking if necessary. We expect you to test negative despite all of your fears and concerns.

And while waiting to test you need to get busy with other things. Don't bother telling us you're too upset to do that because I can tell you that won't fly here.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 01:04:25 pm »
I just got my 4 month result and I am negative.  This experience has taught me a lot and I now know I need to make some changes in my life.  Thank you all again for putting up with me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 01:33:45 pm »
Well done. That's the result one always wants. Protect it by always without exception using condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse.

Glad you found the exchanges here to be helpful.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 10:39:12 pm »
Since last I posted I have been to an ENT and he said I did not look good.  I have been fighting bad stomach issues still and the throat sores though part of it he thinks is related to cryptic tonsils.  He put a camera in my nose and wants me to get a ct scan of my sinuses, see an allergist and go to an infectious disease doc.  Is this cause for concern?  He did not tell me why he wants me to go.

Also, I had been out in the sun for awhile then had a pizza and later that night and all the next day I was vomiting profusely then diarrhea followed it.  I couldn’t even keep water down.  Do I have any reason to still worry bout HIV?  I tested antibody negative at 6.5 weeks and 3.5 months.  My therapist says she is 99.9% sure I’m negative and the ENT said with your negative tests you “should” be fine.  Any reason I should doubt my test results?  I have been far more calm and in control but the doubts creep in on occasion

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 05:37:19 am »
Pan,

You've tested conclusively hiv negative. You do NOT have hiv. Keep working with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is going on. Whatever it may be, it is NOT hiv. You've ruled hiv out of the picture completely.

You will not be permitted to use this website to question your conclusive negative result. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 11:31:57 pm »
Hey all...

Just for starters I want to say that I am far less of that manic and scared guy I was this time a year ago but I do still have some fears due to my health conditions I have been experiencing since my last post.  Basically I want to verify that my test results have ruled me out for being HIV+.  So here it goes...

Refresher...tested negative at 6.5 weeks and 3.5 months.  My infectious disease doc saw me and was concerned.  Last July he had me take a Syphillis test and a HIV PCR DNA (or RNA, not really sure).  The results were negative and undetectable, respectively.  I have had the sore throat now for over a year and a half that I know of and last winter I dealt with seborrhic dermatitas and currently I am on a two month bout of hives.  My lymphs are low and neutrophils are high but my allergist says its likely due to the Prednisone.  I can't help but think I am fighting some infection but every test including a skin biopsy for vasculitis has been negative.  Frankly, I don't even want to leave the house anymore due to how self-conscious I am regarding the hives.

I know you can only comment on HIV but is there "any" way that due to some weakened immune system I could have erroneously tested negative but somehow undetectable on the viral load test for the virus six months in? Just trying to make sense of everything.  It's been emotionally trying...Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:53 am »
pan,

If you were hiv positive with a weakened immune system, your viral load test would have returned a result with high numbers. It didn't. Know why? BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV.

We've already told you again and again that you don't have hiv. We're not going to go through it all with you again. Keep working with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is actually wrong with you. You have conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.