Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:54:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 226
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: my situation/symptoms  (Read 4958 times)

Offline sayitaintso

my situation/symptoms
« on: August 12, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »

Hi everyone

Here is my situation, it's been really stressful. I know everyone says unprotected oral sex carries minimal to no risk. I am a gay male and had unprotected oral sex with a guy on July 6, whose status is unknown. I have no idea if i had cuts in my mouth or not.

About 10 days later, maybe 14 days, it's hard to remember exactly, I developed a sore throat and fatigue, and about one week after that, a rash on my face. I went to the doctor and told her of the situation and she did all std tests and a mono test, and they all came back negative.  When I went to the doctor I had no fever, but perhaps I had a fever in the first few days I didn't feel well. My fatigue at one point was very severe--i couldn't get out of bed for about 3 days. Now, it's been about 5 weeks and I still have deep muscle pains, especially in my back. I also for the past week had abdominal pain in my upper right side, right under my ribcage.

It just seems very coincidental that I've had all these symptoms right after an unprotected sexual encounter.

I know the only way to find out is to get tested because symptoms don't necessarily mean anything. But at the same time, symptoms can be an indicator, no?
My doctor said that she wasn't very worried because usually the symptoms come together if they come, and that a fever is the most common. I am really scared...It has been a terrible month healthwise and nobody can tell me anything. My blood test came back normal...i feel like the only explanation for this is that I have a mild case of ARS.

:(

Offline RapidRod

Re: my situation/symptoms
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:15:59 pm »
Listen to your doctor. ARS symptoms if one has them at all, all come at once and all clear up at once. You did not have a risk of contracting HIV from oral sex. Saliva has over a dozen different proteins and enzyemes that inhibit HIV transmission. Your best bet would be to continue to work with your doctor to find the cause. It will not be HIV based on what you brought to this forum.

Offline sayitaintso

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:29:43 pm »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I hope you are right. It is frustrating when the doctor can't figure out what's going on. She said that whatever I have is viral, but can't seem to pinpoint what it is. As far as I understand, there is some risk, however small, in contracting HIV from oral sex.

and from what I've read, some people have experience ARS symptoms, particularly fatigue/myalgia, for weeks. I am going to do a 6 week HIV test next week, so I'll know then. But there doesn't seem to be any other illness out there that matches my symptoms (and no, I'm definitely not imagining them!).

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:13:33 am »
Testing at 6 weeks is a good idea, if only to relieve your mind about HIV as a factor in relation to your symptoms. If your only risk factor was giving head that one time then I do expect you will test negative.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline carlospereira

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 01:18:45 pm »

Andy Velez,

If oral sex does not represent any risk, why hold the test in 6 weeks is a good idea?

Offline atlq

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:53:06 pm »

Testing at 6 weeks is a good idea, if only to relieve your mind about HIV as a factor in relation to your symptoms.

I think Andy answered your question in advance....
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:31:17 pm »
Carlos,

If you've read the forum posting guidelines in our Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you'd know that posting in other people's threads is expressly prohibited. Stay in your own thread. Posting elsewhere will quickly earn you a time out - and you're getting close to being given one anyway. Don't let me catch you in a thread other than your own again, ok? Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 06:32:45 pm »
Carlos, I'll answer your question even though you weren't supposed to be commenting in someone else's thread.

"Say" is clearly very stressed and I don't think simply giving him the science-based facts will resolve his concern. Since he seems to be planning to get tested, I simply joined in on that so that he can pick up a negative result for peace of mind and hopefully that will put an end to his worrying.
Andy Velez

Offline sayitaintso

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 11:31:32 pm »

Correct Andy. I am going to get my 6 week test tomorrow. I am pretty nervous but I have to do it. Wish me luck.

Offline sayitaintso

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 06:09:21 pm »

Hi. I tested negative today 6 weeks after my exposure!

Yeehaw! I know a 3 month test is conclusive, but it still feels good to have the 6 weeker behind me. I am going to stop obsessing now...

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:14 pm »
A negative result is always a happy experience. I certainly expect you to continue to test negative if you decide to re-test at 13 weeks.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.