Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 351
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Antagonism in VIH literature.  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Gilgamesh

• Standard
Antagonism in VIH literature.
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:12:22 am »
Hello everybody from Spain,

First of all, I want to really thank the team of this website for providing a space of communication among people interested in the same kind of subjects and that was so necessary. For all your efforts, thank you so much, indeed.

And now, I am going to tell you my experience so as later on ask you a question.

Two months ago (57 days to be more precise), I had a sexual relationship with a complete unknown boy which consisted basically of oral sex, my playing the passive role (without ejaculation), and of penetration by using protection (in this case, my being the active subjetc) that, unfortunately, was broken in the final part of the coitus.

I have been worried about that since then, and I have tested on two occasions after that:

a) The first time, it was after 21 days to the exposure, using the antibody proof only and obtaining Negative Result.

b) The second time, it was actually this week, after 57 days to the exposure, being the antibody combined with the antygen 24 used. Result: Negative.

I have read on uncountless occasions by Andy that oral sex does not mean assuming real risk, given the fact that the mouth contains more than twelve elements which positive and efficently contribute to destroy possible virus charge.

In relation to the other aspect, I have to confess that I am a little bit more worried about.

Reading matters related to the reliability of the proofs, there is practically no agreement among scientists, except for the conclusive result after 12 weeks.

In this sense, my question is the following: Is it likely that after my second analysis (after 57 days) a negative result should change into a positive one? In hypothetical case of infection, should the antibodies already be detected? Which is the general term you have to wait for these to be detected under normal conditions and by using conventional proofs?

I hope your answer impatiently.

Thank you very much.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Antagonism in VIH literature.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:03:42 am »
Gilgamesh, I've transferred your thread here to English language since that is the language you used for your question. In the future please follow our rule and keep any entries you make in this same thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Now as to your concerns. Regarding the risk in relation to  oral sex, longterm studies have been conducted of serodiscordant couples, both gay and straight. There was lots of mutual unprotected oral sex and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse. To date not one sero-negative partner has become infected.

As for the risk during an episode in which a condom breaks, that does happen from time to time. In your case it was a single incident during which you were the insertive partner. The condom protected you until it broke. And the risk for the insertive partner is significantly lower than for the receptive one.

Of course low risk is not the same as no risk so testing is always a good idea when this happens. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risk. So your negative at 57 days is significant and very encouraging. With that negative result in hand I expect you to continue to test negative for a conclusive result at 3 months.

For the future make sure you are using fresh condoms which fit you properly.

I expect you to come out of this ok.

Andy Velez

Offline Gilgamesh

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »
Thank you very much for your quick answer and receive my apologies for my mistake posting on a not proper place.

I will take your observations as very positive, since you may undoubtedly have a lot of knowledge and experience in this subjetc, and I will not continue to be worried about this issue.

Anyhow I will test in a month time just to definitely determine my serological condition, fully expecting that will be again negative.

Since then, good luck to all participants!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:31:57 pm »
And I do expect you to test negative.

Good luck with that.
Andy Velez

Offline Gilgamesh

• Standard
Semen into my eye
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:26:48 pm »
Hello all users:

I want to tell an experience that occurred to me. One day while I was practising sex, accidentally part of the semen of my partner came to enter into my eye. I would like to know the level of risk of vih infection because of that.
Thank you!

Has anyone of you had similar experiences? Must I worry about it?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:38:56 pm »
As stated in the opening thread of this section, we have a rule that members are supposed to keep all their entries in the same thread. You've actually been told that before so now I am going to warn you that if you start another thread you are going to get a Time Out.

With regard to your latest concern, HIV is a fragile virus. The kind of incident you have described is not unusual. There's never been a confirmed case of transmission in that manner. It's safe to say you are not going to make history by becoming the first.

Let it go and get on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 12:06:45 am »
Gilgamesh , you have been warned repeatedly not to start other threads and you did it again anyway . I removed your post from the Spanish forum and I'm going to issue you a time out that Andy warned you about . Its clear you are posting in other areas simply to get around the rules , if you come back and do it again you will be banned .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.