Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:46:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 641
Total: 643

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Precious - negative stereotypes for whites, or moving period picture?  (Read 11068 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
We used to argue this topic in film classes all the time.   What do you think?  Topic comes up for gay characters in movies and tv as well.    Finally I think Reed has a good point and the film falls into the cheesey offensive "dangerous minds" mode too often.  Still I liked the performances and the story and can deal with the stereotypes as not representing a population or a time, just these characters.

Fade to White

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/opinion/05reed.html?em

Op-Ed Contributor
Fade to White
By ISHMAEL REED

Oakland, Calif.

JUDGING from the mail I’ve received, the conversations I’ve had and all that I’ve read, the responses to “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” fall largely along racial lines.

Among black men and women, there is widespread revulsion and anger over the Oscar-nominated film about an illiterate, obese black teenager who has two children by her father. The author Jill Nelson wrote: “I don’t eat at the table of self-hatred, inferiority or victimization. I haven’t bought into notions of rampant black pathology or embraced the overwrought, dishonest and black-people-hating pseudo-analysis too often passing as post-racial cold hard truths.” One black radio broadcaster said that he felt under psychological assault for two hours. So did I.

The blacks who are enraged by “Precious” have probably figured out that this film wasn’t meant for them. It was the enthusiastic response from white audiences and critics that culminated in the film being nominated for six Oscars by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, an outfit whose 43 governors are all white and whose membership in terms of diversity is about 40 years behind Mississippi. In fact, the director, Lee Daniels, said that the honor would bring even more “middle-class white Americans” to his film.

Is the enthusiasm of such white audiences and awards committees based on their being comfortable with the stereotypes shown? Barbara Bush, the former first lady, not only hosted a screening of “Precious” but also wrote about it in Newsweek, saying: “There are kids like Precious everywhere. Each day we walk by them: young boys and girls whose home lives are dark secrets.” Oprah Winfrey, whose endorsement assisted the movie’s distribution and its acceptance among her white fanbase, said, “None of us who sees the movie can now walk through the world and allow the Preciouses of the world to be invisible.”

Are Mrs. Bush and Ms. Winfrey suggesting, on the basis of a fictional film, that incest is widespread among black families? Statistics tell us that it’s certainly no more prevalent among blacks than whites. The National Center for Victims of Crime notes: “Incest does not discriminate. It happens in families that are financially privileged, as well as those of low socio-economic status. It happens to those of all racial and ethnic descent, and to those of all religious traditions.”

Given the news media’s tendency to use scandals involving black men, both fictional and real, to create “teaching tools” about the treatment of women, it was inevitable that a black male character associated with incest would be used to begin some national discussion about the state of black families.

This use of movies and books to cast collective shame upon an entire community doesn’t happen with works about white dysfunctional families. It wasn’t done, for instance, with “Requiem for a Dream,” starring the great Ellen Burstyn, about a white family dealing with drug addiction, or with “The Kiss,” a memoir about incest — in that case, a relationship between a white father and his adult daughter.

Such stereotyping has led to calamities being visited on minority communities. I’ve suggested that the Newseum in Washington create a Hall of Shame, which would include the front pages of newspapers whose inflammatory coverage led to explosions of racial hatred. I’m thinking, among many others, of 1921’s Tulsa riot, which started with a rumor that a black man had assaulted a white woman, and resulted in the murder of 300 blacks.

Black films looking to attract white audiences flatter them with another kind of stereotype: the merciful slave master. In guilt-free bits of merchandise like “Precious,” white characters are always portrayed as caring. There to help. Never shown as contributing to the oppression of African-Americans. Problems that members of the black underclass encounter are a result of their culture, their lack of personal responsibility.

It’s no surprise either that white critics — eight out of the nine comments used on the publicity Web site for “Precious” were from white men and women — maintain that the movie is worthwhile because, through the efforts of a teacher, this girl begins her first awkward efforts at writing.

Redemption through learning the ways of white culture is an old Hollywood theme. D. W. Griffith produced a series of movies in which Chinese, Indians and blacks were lifted from savagery through assimilation. A more recent example of climbing out of the ghetto through assimilation is “Dangerous Minds,” where black and Latino students are rescued by a curriculum that doesn’t include a single black or Latino writer.

By the movie’s end, Precious may be pushing toward literacy. But she is jobless, saddled with two children, one of whom has Down syndrome, and she’s learned that she has AIDS.

Some redemption.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Precious - negative stereotypes for whites, or moving period picture?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »
an outfit whose 43 governors are all white and whose membership in terms of diversity is about 40 years behind Mississippi.

Ugh, really?  You can say a lot of things about mississippi, but a lack of racial diversity is probably the single stupidest comment I've ever heard.  I haven't looked up the numbers but I would be surprised if the state isn't basically 40/40/20  Black/White/Hispanic (Sorry there aren't many asians outside of major population centers or the west coast).  I tend to find a lot of anger about race is pointed in the wrong direction and this article in particular strikes me as one of those.  This film was written by a black woman, directed by a black man, and is based at least in part truthfully on the interaction between 2 black people.  Whether or not it is flattering to the black community is kind of bull when it comes down to it.  I'm certain that white families have incest and poverty and HIV (hello!) issues there just hasn't been a movie as successful as this one or with as much hollywood push.

Does the author of this article really think that every white viewer is using this movie as a basis for comparison with EVERY black family?  Of course not, that's complete rubbish.

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:36:00 pm »
As to your first comment, I think you misread.  He was saying that the Academy (awards committee) is retarded when it comes to diversity. Unlike mississippi.

As to the second, I think the writer doesn't appreciate "people" like Barbara Bush who take this portrayal as pretty much the standard reality of many blacks. 
Remember when she went to the Houston stadium after Katrina and said something like "wow, shelter, food, medical care, all free for you here - the hurricane is working out rather well for you finally!"
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:53 pm »
I read it as: Mississippi isn't diverse and you're not even as diverse as they are!

As for Barbara Bush, I can believe she said that.  I'm surprised I never heard about it though.

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:53:46 pm »
"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them." –Former First Lady Barbara Bush, on the hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 5, 2005

Read it and weap for Republican America.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=politicalhumor&cdn=entertainment&tm=43&f=20&su=p504.3.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp%3Fvnu_content_id%3D1001054719

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »
I think there will always be people who far too easily offended -- in fact, some who look hard for things to be offended by......

I saw Precious -- thought it was a well acted and powerful movie (if a little too predictable).  Never did I say anything like, "Wow -- how do black families deal with this.".  I saw a disfunctional family (for lack of a stronger word) -- I saw what lack of an education can cause, but never saw this as something that is relegated to the African-American community.  It's probably more about socioeconomic status than race (and yes, I know that there is racial disparity there, but hell, I grew up on welfare and I'm white as the snow that is falling (again) outside my window).

So -- to answer the question -- which way you view the movie is based on how you view the world, I guess.

Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »
I have not seen "Precious". It sounds like the concern is less that the movie is not effective but that it puts black people in a negative light, even though it was written and produced by black people. Personally I tend to look at movies, or other forms of art, and judge them by whether they ring true and are effective rather then whether they may be misinterpreted. The movie "Boys in the Band" had very negative homosexual stereotypes and was difficult for me to watch because, for its day, it rang true and touched on the self-loathing that society instilled in gay men. If uneducated straight people watched "Boys in the Band" they could have come away thinking that gay men are all pathetic, nasty queens. However, I think that "Boys in the Band" is an effective movie that has become more important with time because it shows what many gay men have had to deal with.

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 03:57:24 pm »
Well thats certainly true about Boys in the Band and now its being produced as a Broadway show. That will be interesting.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 04:40:54 pm »
Well thats certainly true about Boys in the Band and now its being produced as a Broadway show. That will be interesting.

Gay men on Broadway?  How can this be?!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 08:40:33 pm »

As a white man I have no room or place to judge what is offensive and what is not to another race, especially the often oppressed African American race.  Folks, if they find it offensive it's because it more than likely is to them.   
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 08:44:13 pm »

Jeffrey is coming to (off?) Broadway.  A friend-of-a-friend tried out for a key role.  I loved the movie and hope the play is just as good.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:53:47 pm »
Jeffrey is coming to (off?) Broadway.  A friend-of-a-friend tried out for a key role.  I loved the movie and hope the play is just as good.
I own that movie and love it too. (Michael T. Weiss WOOF!)
Because it's not as sad, I love it almost as much as Brokeback.

sorry about the hijack ;D, you can go back to chatting about some movie that I'll never see ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline edfu

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 11:11:42 pm »

No, I'm afraid it's not on Broadway.  Technically, it's off-off-Broadway, on W. 26th St., in an actual loft-apartment.  The attendees (less than 100 per performance) will be seated throughout the loft (a penthouse apartment), amidst the actors.  This is a site-specific environmental project; the whole apartment becomes the stage, and the audience members become other (hopefully silent) guests at Harold's birthday party.   

http://broadwayworld.com/bwidb/sections/theatres/index.php?var=8046
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:38:05 pm by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 07:39:01 am »

No, I'm afraid it's not on Broadway.  Technically, it's off-off-Broadway, on W. 26th St., in an actual loft-apartment.  The attendees (less than 100 per performance) will be seated throughout the loft (a penthouse apartment), amidst the actors.  This is a site-specific environmental project; the whole apartment becomes the stage, and the audience members become other (hopefully silent) guests at Harold's birthday party.   

http://broadwayworld.com/bwidb/sections/theatres/index.php?var=8046

Wow, what a great concept! Has this been done before or is this "experimental"? I'd love to attend a performance like this.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 07:49:46 am »
I really liked "Precious."  And at work I discussed it with our accountant, who's an older black lady, who had also watched it.  She said "we've known about this kind of thing for years; it's just never talked about." 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline edfu

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 04:33:57 am »
Has this been done before or is this "experimental"?

Site-specific and environmental staged productions are not new.  Theater purists insist that "true" site-specific productions must be specifically written for the site--i.e., not a stage in a theater--but most are plays written for a stage-theater and then produced in an appropriate environment other than a theater.  Most must also be nonprofit, because of the limited seating available outside of a theater setting.  Some of the most memorable are Shakespeare plays.  "Hamlet" has been produced a number of times--with Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud, for example--on the battlements and in the courtyard of Kronberg Castle (also known as Elsinore) in Denmark.  "As You Like It," which takes place in the Forest of Arden, has been staged a number of times in the wooded areas of public parks. 

"Boys in the Band" is ideally suited for production in an actual apartment because it takes place in an apartment.  Also, since it's about a birthday party, the attendees can be regarded as additional celebrants at the party.  To my knowledge, this has never previously been done with "Boys," and I cannot remember a similar play set in an apartment done (in NYC) in an actual apartment. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_specific_theatre

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 08:31:48 am »
Tony and Tina's Wedding.  Written to be experienced.  It's pretty slight.
Isn't Boys in the Band running right now?
But why did I hear - where did I hear - that someone wants to make it a broadway musical?
here's a review of the 1970 Boys:
http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/24/boysband.html

"Some of its (Boys in the Band) business may have been preempted by queer critics, who were among the harshest. (Friedkin would learn a lesson from this; Cruising begins with a groveling disclaimer that says the film is "not meant to be representative of the whole" gay community.) The late Vito Russo, author of The Celluloid Closet, no doubt spoke for many in being conflicted about it, calling it both "not positive" and "fair" in the same sentence. But ultimately he condemns it as a kind of Green Pastures for queers and a lamentable exercise in self-loathing."  emphasis added - mecch

The Green Pastures is a play written in 1930 by Marc Connelly adapted from Ol' Man Adam an' His Chillun (1928), a collection of stories written by Roark Bradford.

The play portrays episodes from the Old Testament as seen through the eyes of a young African-American child in the Depression-era South, who interprets The Bible in terms familiar to her. Following Bradford's lead, Connelly (a white man) set the biblical stories in New Orleans and in an all-black context. He diverged from Bradford's work, however, in enlarging the role of the character "De Lawd" (God) played on stage by Richard B. Harrison (1864-1935), who was born in London, Ontario, Canada. The Green Pastures also featured numerous African American spirituals arranged by Hall Johnson and performed by The Hall Johnson Choir. The play was the winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1930.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Pastures

Funny both of these dirty secrets nobody wants to talk about surfacing right at this moment.  Looks like  Precious is getting some praise for talking about something nobody really wants to talk about.  

Last night I was watching recent Daily Shows.  Stewart did a big bit about South Carolina Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer (what a queer name by the way, I was thinking) quote comparing welfare recipients to stray animals.

"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed! You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpb4nwfiaPY

So I go to YouTube looking for that quote above.  And what do I find (you still with me?)

WIS-TV: Is Lt Gov Andre Bauer a gay man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4noAv4omAnM&feature=related

Gotta love these connections.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:34:03 am by mecch »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 09:41:10 am »

Site-specific and environmental staged productions are not new.

Oh dear, I now realise I was being a bit thick. ~understatement~ I have attended several Shakespeare plays performed in the grounds of Peel Castle in the town where I live.

Sorry 'bout the hijack.

I haven't seen the film (would like to) and I agree with those who say that some will find offence no matter what you do or say. That's life. I think if the people in the film were poor and white instead of poor and black, nobody would say the film was presenting a bad picture of all whites. Same thing here. Most people are intelligent enough to realise a snapshot of one particular person isn't indicative of a whole race of people. At least I'd like to think most people are intelligent enough...
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 09:47:06 am »
Using one person as a template for an entire people (especially as determined by race) is being prejudiced or just generalizing.  Generalizations with people are bad.

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 10:57:10 am »
I think if the people in the film were poor and white instead of poor and black, nobody would say the film was presenting a bad picture of all whites. Same thing here. Most people are intelligent enough to realise a snapshot of one particular person isn't indicative of a whole race of people. At least I'd like to think most people are intelligent enough...

The reviewer made the point that nobody makes generalisations about incest or AIDS or illiteracy in white films.   He claims such stories are taken as a story about individuals.  He criticises blacks and whites who take the Precious situation as indicative of a general black experience (80's ghetto poor).

But we certainly have stereotypes about white trash.

Eminem's 8 mile was pretty stereotyping but rang true enough to describe a group, but not a race.  Jersey Shore is filled with true and "acted out" stereotyping.  Half America still doesn't realise that these are not kids from New Jersey - just north east Italian Americans.

It's an old question in "issue" movies or "slumming" entertainments.  How much of the acting out is "real" or  "reality based" and how much is just made up to make an interesting profitable entertainment product.

Why IS the teacher in Precious light skinned and beautiful?  Very Michele Pfeiffer.  

There is a running gag in Precious about her dreaming of being light skinned.  Marrying her hotty (white) math teacher, and moving to Westchester.  Also being a big dark black mama dreamgirl star, and because a star, and a hot light-skinned black -- or latino? -- making love to her.  

Remember the Henry Louis Gates incident last year.  "You assume I'm a crook and then I tell you I'm a famous Havard Professor and I get busted anyway for being uppity."  

I love the scenes where all the "whiteys" (light skinned blacks) either get the lies they want to hear (prissy welfare social worker), or get the truth they ask for but don't want to hear, really (hard realistic social worker Mariah Carey).  Mariah Carey's reaction is priceless. Good direction, I must say!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 11:19:06 am »
But we certainly have stereotypes about white trash.

Eminem's 8 mile was pretty stereotyping but rang true enough to describe a group, but not a race.  Jersey Shore is filled with true and "acted out" stereotyping.  Half America still doesn't realise that these are not kids from New Jersey - just north east Italian Americans.

It's an old question in "issue" movies or "slumming" entertainments.  How much of the acting out is "real" or  "reality based" and how much is just made up to make an interesting profitable entertainment product.

Why IS the teacher in Precious light skinned and beautiful?  Very Michele Pfeiffer.  

There is a running gag in Precious about her dreaming of being light skinned.  Marrying her hotty (white) math teacher, and moving to Westchester.  Also being a big dark black mama dreamgirl star, and because a star, and a hot light-skinned black -- or latino? -- making love to her.  

Remember the Henry Louis Gates incident last year.  "You assume I'm a crook and then I tell you I'm a famous Havard Professor and I get busted anyway for being uppity."  

I love the scenes where all the "whiteys" (light skinned blacks) either get the lies they want to hear (prissy welfare social worker), or get the truth they ask for but don't want to hear, really (hard realistic social worker Mariah Carey).  Mariah Carey's reaction is priceless. Good direction, I must say!

I always get amused when I hear white people talk about an issue they've never experienced or lived through.  It's usually the most prejudiced of whites that clarify the other race has nothing to complain about.  Having once worked at the top of the corporate ladder, I can attest that racism is very much alive and not just in the deep South.

I grew up in a predominately black neighborhood.  Our schools sucked, our streets sucked, the police hardly ever came when called, and here we paid the same taxes as everyone else.  My high school didnt have textbooks for the students, everything was passed your way by xerox copies.  It's not a fair and even playing field, never has been but hopefully one day it will be. 

Perhaps, just perhaps this is where the offending parties take issue with this easily.  It's not just about the subject matter in the movie... it's about what some people are subjected to their entire life.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 12:11:09 pm »
Barbara "They-never-had-it-so-good" Bush has no business commenting publicly on any issue involving race and class in our America, let alone race, class, and sexual abuse of women.

Can't comment on a movie---let alone the debates on a movie---i won't pay to see (Waiting for Netflix).

-Steven (aka  8) megasept)

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 01:21:20 pm »
Well, the thing is about Barbara's comment, its completely abhorrent but in a perverted way you know it makes sense. Blacks (and poor, but mostly poor blacks) were left to die and suffer in New Orleans. Finally rescued, they got to Texas, dry land, and were treated like humans and Americans again.  If there had been one ivy league child of someone in congress stuck in New Orleans, you better believe everything would have moved faster.  

You see the key to Barbara's quote is that she "chuckled" when she thought how it worked out for the evacuees. 
The next question she should have asked was - why was New Orleans the poorest city, and why would being a homeless evacuee be better than a working safety net in one's hometown.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:34:25 pm by mecch »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 01:24:20 pm »
   I always get amused when I hear white people talk about an issue they've never experienced or lived through

Yeah, I feel the same way about heterosexuals.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »
   I always get amused when I hear white people talk about an issue they've never experienced or lived through.  It's usually the most prejudiced of whites that clarify the other race has nothing to complain about.  Having once worked at the top of the corporate ladder, I can attest that racism is very much alive and not just in the deep South.

I grew up in a predominately black neighborhood.  Our schools sucked, our streets sucked, the police hardly ever came when called, and here we paid the same taxes as everyone else.  My high school didnt have textbooks for the students, everything was passed your way by xerox copies.  It's not a fair and even playing field, never has been but hopefully one day it will be. 

Perhaps, just perhaps this is where the offending parties take issue with this easily.  It's not just about the subject matter in the movie... it's about what some people are subjected to their entire life.

Thomas, you may have grown up in a predominately black neighborhood, but you're still a male.  Let me tell you about an experience I had with black men when I was 14-15.  I was "going with" an 18-year old very street smart black man.  I didn't know he was prepping me to be one of his hoes.  When I was in his home town seeing him, two black men from Chicago showed up, to pick up some girls to work for them, and another older black man from the home town showed up to find another ho for himself.  They all argued over who I was going to "work" for.  I ended up getting gang raped several times, and then abducted and raped repeatedly over a 3 day period.  Finally the state police got involved.  Because of my physical injuries from the rape and some beatings, I had to take a month off school to recover.  I cannot tell you how many years it took for me to get over seeing a black man, and if he were looking at me, or another white girl,  thinking he was only out after one thing.  Both races are capable of terrible inhumanities.  To hold an incident against a whole race, forever and ever however, is wrong. 

Precious was an excellent movie.  I didn't see a stereotype; I saw an emotionally moving story of a strong, young woman who overcame insurmountable odds. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »
Having once worked at the top of the corporate ladder

Management at Arby's?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 07:30:31 pm »
Management at Arby's?

No actually a city manager for Hertz.  Good guess, what is it exactly you do again?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »
Thomas, you may have grown up in a predominately black neighborhood, but you're still a male.  Let me tell you about an experience I had with black men when I was 14-15.  I was "going with" an 18-year old very street smart black man.  I didn't know he was prepping me to be one of his hoes.  When I was in his home town seeing him, two black men from Chicago showed up, to pick up some girls to work for them, and another older black man from the home town showed up to find another ho for himself.  They all argued over who I was going to "work" for.  I ended up getting gang raped several times, and then abducted and raped repeatedly over a 3 day period.  Finally the state police got involved.  Because of my physical injuries from the rape and some beatings, I had to take a month off school to recover.  I cannot tell you how many years it took for me to get over seeing a black man, and if he were looking at me, or another white girl,  thinking he was only out after one thing.  Both races are capable of terrible inhumanities.  To hold an incident against a whole race, forever and ever however, is wrong. 

Precious was an excellent movie.  I didn't see a stereotype; I saw an emotionally moving story of a strong, young woman who overcame insurmountable odds. 

Betty, that is definitely a terrible experience you went through and you say you looked at black men as having one thing on their mind.  This was because of your experience, right?  Reverse that into the injustices others have went through and you'll see my point as to why some are complaining.  Both my wife and I have seen the movie, she is African American, and she said it didn't offend her one bit .  My point here was we cannot discount another person's complaint if we have no idea how that person feels.

All I know is I can't pass judgement on it.  I will never know what it feels like to go through such things.. but I do acknowledge that it does exist.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 10:41:24 pm »
No actually a city manager for Hertz.  Good guess, what is it exactly you do again?

I'm the main supplier for all of the heroin in the northeast.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 10:49:36 pm »
I'm the main supplier for all of the heroin in the northeast.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I mean, what?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 05:39:14 am »
Betty, that is definitely a terrible experience you went through and you say you looked at black men as having one thing on their mind.  This was because of your experience, right?  Reverse that into the injustices others have went through and you'll see my point as to why some are complaining. 

Thomas, I can understand about people being distraught because of things they go through.  With me, I had gotten out of the situation, and did get over my own stereotyping.  When any race takes some incidence, and aplies it to a whole race of people it's just wrong.  This is, of course, my own opinion.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 12:59:28 pm »
I saw Precious quite a few times. Mainly because I kept nodding out on it. But once I finally got through it all, I thought it was a decent movie. Some parts of it angered me, not because it portrayed blacks in a negative light. But because of how the mother treated Precious. But then most people feel some type of way when negative things is brought to the light. I am still wondering why some see it like that.  I could relate to that because it reminded me of someone in my own family. And why any blacks would be angered by this movie is beyond me.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.