Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:39:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 192
Total: 194

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Got First Numbers Not sure What to Think  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Lobster1

Got First Numbers Not sure What to Think
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:10:43 pm »
Ok went to Wash. U. today, and docs told me my VL was 67, and CD4 was i think 401.   They said it's unusal b/c usually the VL is much higher.  Anyone ever seen this kind of results.  Have to get a little mroe blood work done for cholesteral and thyroid, then probably starting meds.  So any hope someone can give me would be great.  Also they asked if i want to try trial meds.  Thanks.

Offline john33

Re: Got First Numbers Not sure What to Think
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »
Hi Lobster,

Sorry to hear your CD4 are 401, i'm far from knowing on this as all new too, but i'd suggest going with what your doc says.

Unless i'm making a mistake it's good that your vl is low though.

John

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:39:04 pm »
It's all about trends over time.

One VL result doesn't really mean much. Your CD4 result is respectable, it'd be interesting to see what your CD4 % is.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:43:24 pm »
I don't know why anyone would say "sorry to hear" about a cd4 of 401.  That's not a bad number particularly and you may cause this person extra worry saying that.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline john33

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:46:33 pm »
I don't know why anyone would say "sorry to hear" about a cd4 of 401.  That's not a bad number particularly and you may cause this person extra worry saying that.

well i said i'm new to all this, so i'm no judge

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »
401 is not a bad number, Lobster.  A VL of only 67 sounds excellent for someone who is not on meds (or did you mean 67K?).  Do you have any idea of when/how long ago you might have been infected (I saw that in your first post you mentioned that it may have happened at work).

Like MtD said, you'll just need to wait and see trends in time.  At the moment you don't need to rush (again, especially with a VL that's fairly close to undetectable).  

Good health and luck to you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:20:06 pm by livebythemoon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 03:55:12 am »
well i said i'm new to all this, so i'm no judge

Well, maybe you should refrain from giving advice until you understand more about hiv?

Lobster, your numbers are excellent, particularly if your VL is only 67. As Mr Moon asked, did you mean 67,000? Either way, you still have excellent numbers for someone who is not on meds. If you want to go on a med trial, kudos to you, but with those numbers you don't NEED meds yet. I've been poz since '97 and I'm still not on meds. My numbers are in my profile.

And yes, it's all about the trends. One or two or even three results do not a trend make.

Ann
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:57:04 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Lobster1

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 06:12:21 pm »
Hey guys it was just 67 not 67000.  even the docters said 67 was low, and sorry screw up on cd4 of 401.  it was closer to 370.  Sorry abou that screwup, 401 was different number of something.  Docs said when people get to 350 on cd4 they want to put people on meds.  Sorry i don thave exact numbers dont have paper right in front of me.  Just talked to doc today, and I asked about my numbers again. 

I guess the big question is when i was exposed.  I would of figured probably this year, but with the cd4 so low i dont know.  Been with the same girl for just over 3yrs now, and been faithful.  So, I hope i didnt not have it before her.  Did see several women before meeting her.  Well take care everyone.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:32:04 pm »
Lobster,

Even 370 isn't that low, though as you note it is getting close to the limit where doctors will recommend you commence treatment. The minimum number before commencing treatment used to be around 200, so don't fret about it too much.

A VL of 67 is quite low too, but as we say, you'll need a series of VL tests taken at regular intervals (monthly even) before a clear pattern of what the virus is doing inside you emerges.

Has your partner been tested for HIV?

MtD

Offline Lobster1

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 03:12:44 pm »
She was tested originally when i found out.  The 3 month wait for 2nd test is coming in Feb.  So, hopefully stays neg.  Thanks for help everyone.  I think anyone who goes through this knows the effect it has on you.  Mental and physical.

Offline CallMeSid

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:21 pm »
Hi, Lobster.

Like you, my VL was very low (<50) when I first tested HIV+ about 2.5 years ago.  It's remained very low, though generally detectable since.  (My numbers are in my signature footer.)  When I was diagnosed, it was a fairly recent infection as I had tested negative about a year prior.  Also, when I tested positive, not all of the bands on the Western blot were reactive.  (A follow-up WB about 8 months later revealed that all bands are now reactive.)  So, yeah, a very low VL at the time of diagnosis is possible and it's usually a good thing.

As others have mentioned, it's only after you get a few sets of numbers that a more informed assessment of your condition can be made.

Hang in there and be well.

~Sid
07/2006 HIV-negative
06/2007 HIV-positive
07/2007 CD4: 795 (40%), VL: <50
09/2007 CD4: 629 (43%), VL: 895  (~2 weeks after measles/mumps/rubella booster)
12/2007 CD4: 854 (45%), VL: <50
03/2008 CD4: 880 (45%), VL: 151
12/2008 CD4: 943 (46%), VL: 116
05/2009 CD4: 865 (44%)  VL: 107

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.