Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 340
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: new job  (Read 8548 times)

Offline wolfter

new job
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:48:35 pm »
I agreed to work as the night-time janitor/maintenance person for my brother as the previous person abruptly quit.  I agreed as it'll allow me the opportunity to see if I'm capable of working full time that will allow me to return to a regular full time job.  20 hours of these duties plus my other duties.  I guess my title will be treasurer/janitor....lol

Starting tonight, so I'll see how it goes.  It was kinda cute when I accepted but then immediately reminded him that I need a vacation in 2 weeks.  Thank goodness for insomnia.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: new job
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:12 pm »
Good luck.

;)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:46:18 pm »
thanks, luckily it's only 5 minutes away. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:12:38 am »
Worked a fulltime week plus.  What an exhausting yet exhilarating opportunity.  I absolutely enjoy that I'm performing such a wide variety of activities.  From last Friday through Tuesday, I worked 50 hours with 24 of them straight.

My brother will address the house committee this week, requesting a formal title of assistant post manager.

I'm a gluten for punishment as this is my upcoming schedule.
Friday; 12:00 - 8:00pm   Lawn and property maintenance
Saturday;  6:30 -12:30  AM kitchen
                12:40 - 2:30  Outside Barbecue Chef
                  2:30 - 12:00 Bartending
                 12:00 - 8:00 am  night janitor
(another complete 24 hour shift)   :o

Sunday     1:00 - 8:00  Nascar event facilitator  (overseeing a post party)
                12:00 - 8:00  night janitor

Monday   12:00 - 8:00am night janitor

Tuesday - Not getting out of bed...lol

Luckily, I can perform all my treasurer duties at my leisure.  I have a nice lounge chair in my office in case I need a little rest (which I used last weekend).

Wolfie

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:50:14 am »
24 hour shifts??!?! really? wow!

ok, here's my warning. Now when you fall and break something again, or when teh aids catches back up to you don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

don't get me wrong. I'm all for you working. but that's a lot of work and a lot of crazy hours - and it's those crazy hours that'll probably be what bites you in the ass.  ;)

be careful. be safe. stay adherent to your meds. eat right. I would say sleep well but when does one sleep with a 24 hr work shift? LOL and good luck, my friend. :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:53:59 am »
Amazing schedule.  Wow!

I agree with Leatherman.

You posted that you are working for your brother.  I hope he encourages you to take care of yourself and offers support with all that work.

Do take care.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:12:17 am »
My schedule won't continue to always be this crazy.  We just overbooked different events for a couple of weeks.

Being an insomnia sufferer anyways, it really doesn't affect me and actually affords me the opportunity to sleep soundly for several hours when I do.

I'm just thrilled at the prospect of feeling productive.  I'm not content to do nothing.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:31 am »
I'm just thrilled at the prospect of feeling productive.  I'm not content to do nothing.
I understand that. ;) I've had to "defend" the amount of volunteer work I do to a lot of people that just don't seem to understand what it's like to feel "better", to have to watch your earnings, to do what's necessary to keep health care, to actually want to do "something" again, and still not make teh aids be unhappy by over-doing it. LOL

have fun, be careful! :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 01:47:57 pm »
Wow that is an imposing schedule.

I'm glad you feel well enough to tackle a schedule like that.  Don't forget to take some time and smell the roses.

I understand that. ;) I've had to "defend" the amount of volunteer work I do
have fun, be careful! :-*

Volunteer work should be commended.  I hope you get some of that too.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »
Volunteer work should be commended.  I hope you get some of that too.
free lunches, gas cards, trips to conferences, awards, gifts, and thanks nearly every time I'm in the clinic. The people that know what I do, they're good to me. (however, if they really loved me, someone would get me a decent running car LOL) The people that don't know what it takes to try to do prevention work or to keep an ASO giving good health care, those are the people that usually give me grief for doing so much without getting paid. Personally, I love what I'm doing because I'm doing it with a purpose. I don't do it for the thanks and won't stop doing it because of the nay-sayers.

thanks for thinking about me; but Catawba Care, Charlotte Ryan White TGA QM Committee, and the SC HIV Task Force are all very good to me and I love taking the opportunities that they have been able to give to me.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:39:13 am »
Good luck Wolf.  I work part time at an ASO and, because of work I do with the client, (especially those who are the most challenging), it wears me out.

I've also been a bartender, and know that can be tiring as well.  Take care of yourself and don't go crazy. :P  That's a challenging schedule you have.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 06:14:10 am »
Good luck Wolf.  I work part time at an ASO and, because of work I do with the client, (especially those who are the most challenging), it wears me out.

I've also been a bartender, and know that can be tiring as well.  Take care of yourself and don't go crazy. :P  That's a challenging schedule you have.

I absolutely love bartending, I've done it part-time through the years in addition to working full time.  I have an eternal grin/smile on my face that makes people think I enjoy their drunken conversations.   :o  I really do enjoy most of our patrons and it gives me an opportunity to interact with them while remaining sober.

On the SSDI thing; there is (IMO), something horribly wrong with the system.  It doesn't provide any sort of safety net for those who choose to work during periods of relatively good health.  With my initial AIDS diagnosis in 89, I was approved before even leaving the hospital.  Dang quick.  I rec'd a 100% total and permanent disability status.  I was assured when I decided to return to work within the year that I'd have no issues if the time arose that I needed assistance again.

By the mid 90's, (before HAART) it became necessary to resume SSDI.  Again, I was approved almost immediately.  Only rec'd assistance for about a year before returning to work again full time.  Worked for over a decade before my health deteriorated again.  It took over 3 years and a couple of denials to get approved.  My 2nd appeal denial letter had to be read to me as I laid in the hospital suffering from a bout of blindness.  They saw no medical evidence why I couldn't work...lol

I'm terrified at the thought of losing this safety net.  Not so much the financial help, but the medical help.  If I return to a position making my previous salary and would happen to lose my job, I'd be without any sort of assistance to provide me with my meds.  I'd not qualify for at least a year for OADAP assuming it'd still be available.  And COBRA is a joke, since most people who recently lost a job can't fork over $800/month for the premium

I'm already running out of med options due to horrendous resistance issues and the thought of a another treatment failure is quite terrifying. 

Perhaps we'll see some changes once Obamacare kicks in?

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 08:05:57 am »
First good luck with the full time thing wolfie and I hope you get a sensible rota .

The benefit system in the UK is also to rigid , there where times in the past where I could off worked part time but the risk off not being able to restart benefits was too dangerous a risk for alot off us to tolerate.

In that time I painted establishing enough work for an exhibition, flush with a modest success and making plans to work part time I copped the 2nd bout off Hodgkin.
So in my case it was lucky that I stayed on the disability.

Anyway nough off that and lets end on a great big good for you and good luck with it all.
Michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 05:26:49 pm »
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/

This talks about going back to work on SSDI.  Don't forget to read the part about keeping Medicare for something like 5 years after making above SGA and SSDI ending.  Even before it ends, you have 9 trial work months where you can make any amount, to make sure you can handle full time.

It does suck that the system has to be the way it is.  Is there any Medicaid program there for working disabled people?  Like in  Indiana, I get Med Works, which is as previously stated.  It means I pay a premium for the Medicaid, but it's always active.  A person can use it while working full time as well.  Just wondering if Ohio has something similar.  Could deserve a call to your Medicaid office.  Or exploring  your state's website. 

Being a bartender is an interesting job.  I bartended for a biker gang (er, group) back in the late 80's.  I remember the guys driving their Harley's into the bar.  Ah, good times. ;D

Good luck with all that.  I would definitely check out the medical stuff before deciding to break away from SSDI again.  Remember those appeals you had before, it would probably be worse now.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 09:30:50 pm »
I'm already running out of med options due to horrendous resistance issues and the thought of a another treatment failure is quite terrifying. 
that in itself, to me anyway, is the most important, most practical reason for doing whatever is necessary to NOT lose the coverage you currently have.

having been penalized and losing some monetary benefitsseveral years ago, because of working part time, I have decided that losing my medical benefits is to be avoided at all costs, and so I have not tried to return to any work lest somehow I lose access to meds.

Perhaps we'll see some changes once Obamacare kicks in?
not so much for your situation I would think. The ACA is designed to make sure that everyone has insurance. There are subsidies to help lower income people pay the premiums. For those with even lower income the newer Medicaid Expansion program will hopefully eventually be in all States (my State turned it down this first year :( )

so if you're already receiving Medicare or Medicaid, you've already got insurance and the ACA won't affect you much except by stipulating what essential health care benefits you should be provided.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jody

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 11:49:05 pm »
Wolfie, you have been given some sage advice here, the best of luck in the jobs and in maintaining all your benefits, as you say without insurance there is no way to pay for meds for anyone but the wealthy.  Have a great time in Chicago as well.

Jody :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 05:50:08 am »
Alanbama would be another good person to hit up for advice on working while on disability since he has done so for years without losing his benefits.  I know people who get SSI have a worse time of it than SSDI, since SSI is a "needs based" benefit. 

I can tell you that right now I'm under review with SSA because of my job.  But it's  a job type review, meaning SSA is asking about my work, what exactly it is I do etc.  I was told if they determine I may not be disabled enough they will do a medical review to determine this.  I know Alan used to tell me about him being under review often and the tension that creates.  And that it does.  Like you said Greg, thinking about not getting medical care, losing access to meds, is a huge concern. 

Too bad SSA doesn't work with people to enable the person to live above the poverty level while keeping access to medical care, without fear of being constantly under a microscope to see if the person is still "disabled."  Especially if someone is working, because then we're really paying for the benefit we get, does that make sense?  I figure I can complain about the system being unfair, taxes being too high, etc., because I pay taxes.  And I don't feel I should be penalized for working part time.  I guess SSA doesn't always see it this way.  You would think SSA would encourage people on their roles to work, even part time. 

Ah, it's too early and I'm rambling on lol.  I hope things work the way you want them to.  Too bad your brother can't convince the legion (isn't that where you work) to pay you cash without a paper trail. 

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:04 am »
Ah, it's too early and I'm rambling on lol.
You're not rambling at all. ;) You've really clearly stated the complaint that lots of people have about this screwy system. Lots of people, like those in your situation and those not working and collecting SSd - all who have paid or are still paying into the system - have the right to complain about how their taxes could be better spent to make the situation better. There should be a better way than keeping people down in poverty, than not letting people help themselves, than to subject people to the constant review about disability.

leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 05:11:21 pm »
You're not rambling at all. ;) You've really clearly stated the complaint that lots of people have about this screwy system. Lots of people, like those in your situation and those not working and collecting SSd - all who have paid or are still paying into the system - have the right to complain about how their taxes could be better spent to make the situation better. There should be a better way than keeping people down in poverty, than not letting people help themselves, than to subject people to the constant review about disability.

Yes, and I didn't mean to make it sound like people collecting disability haven't paid in.  It's extremely frustrating and worth a look by our government to enable people who want to earn a little extra money to be able to afford all the "luxuries" (groceries lol) that "regular" people do. 

When I called SSA to see why I was being sent that review packet I had to fill out, they said they do it all the time for people who are working.  WTF?  They should be happy people are trying, but it's like being penalized.  Why be reviewed all the time if working under the SGA amount?  I could understand if they just wanted me to send in copies of my paystubs (which I did) to make sure I wasn't going over.  But I had to fill out a whole long packet of info about my job...like do I need to take more breaks than my co-workers etc. 

And it's not that I keep disability just for the medical component, though of course that's a big part of it.  I have real medical issues, and a letter from my doctor stating I cannot work full time.  Anyway, I'm rambling again.  So, is it worth it to work while receiving SSDI?  Yes, if you can take the stress of being reviewed on a regular basis by SSA.  Which means you fill out the paperwork, send in the info, then wait and wait until you know what their decision is (which I still don't).  Some people are fine with this.  Some can't take the stress.  So, no it isn't worth it if you get stressed out easily which can be disabling in itself. 

This is worth e-mails to the correct government officials.  I think I may have to do that this evening lol.  Seriously though, I have contacted people in the government regarding issues with SSA.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  Tiring, though.

Sorry, Greg.  Got off track.  But these are issues you should think about.  And just from clients who are going through trying to get on disability (and IMO most really need it), it's getting more difficult.  So if you were to lose SSDI then need it back later, it may be difficult.  In that redbook  I linked to, there is a section on "expedited reinstatement" which talks about benefits getting reinstated quickly if you go below SGA.  Which is I believe what happened in my case.  However, it does open you up for continuous reviews.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:13:42 pm by BT65 »

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »
So, is it worth it to work while receiving SSDI?  Yes, if you can take the stress of being reviewed on a regular basis by SSA.
It's worth it to all those people you have helped. ;)
Don't ever discount that even when times are tough for you. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 06:22:00 pm »
It's worth it to all those people you have helped. ;)
Don't ever discount that even when times are tough for you. ;)
YES!^
PS- I love to hear you ramble on about this topic.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 06:45:44 pm »
Thanks Mike and Mitch.  I just e-mailed my congress person and senator about this issue.  Don't know how much good it will do.  But they need to know, and if no one makes noise, how will they? (like old times).

Thanks again.  Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, but I guess at some point, it may be.

Apologies again Greg.  Maybe this should be another topic if it needs to be continued.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »
We're not off track.  It's all relevant.  This is probably not just a PHLTS issue.  I am glad to witness a reasonable discussion about these issues.

GASP, but I come from peoples who think you are required to do what you can, no matter how much, or how little.  I somehow think my brother has become my proxy.   ;D  The older brother who didn't know how frail and fragile I have become.  :O

Everyone isn't afforded the opportunity to be a little bit productive.  And I also don't know the solution.  For me, I have to keep my hyperactive self doing something.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 05:53:52 am »
Greg, I was raised with the idea that if I wanted something I had to work for it (found that out when I asked my dad for a car when I turned 16 lol).  Of course that wasn't taking into account the complications of illness. 

I know what you mean about keeping yourself busy.  I volunteered before getting the job working with the homeless.  It's important. 

Check out the redbook link.  It has some valuable information.  I would also check out your state's website on Medicaid for working disabled persons, to see if Ohio has a program similar to Indiana's.  That's a good resource also. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 11:22:46 am »
I managed to work 44 hours in 2 days, that will NEVER happen again.   :o  I will have over 60 hours this pay period. 

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »
The Government thanks you for your extra tax dollars you will handing over to them. ;D

8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:46:52 pm »
The Government thanks you for your extra tax dollars you will handing over to them.
as long as those dollars go towards replacing some of those decaying bridges :o in Ohio or repairing pot holes ::), I'm sure he won't mind.  ;)

I always appreciated the fact that some of my tax dollars while I was in Ohio paid for those firemen who put out the fire and saved my 5 dogs and 1 cat. I was just thinking about this today, as I put in an old CD to play. I realized the liner notes were all blurred and smudgy because this was one of the discs that made it through the fire (smoke damage) and the subsequent salvation from the firemen (water damage). Paying taxes isn't all bad. LOL  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.