Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 338
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Malawi Couple Not Gay?  (Read 4710 times)

Offline edfu

Malawi Couple Not Gay?
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »
This blog claims that the now-famous couple in Malawi is not "gay," and that one of them, Tiwonge Chimbalanga, is a "trans woman." 

http://skipthemakeup.blogspot.com/2010/05/marriage-in-malawi-gay-issue.html
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: Malawi Couple Not Gay?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:11:22 am »
It is just awful what the couple are going through. Forget about gender or sexual orientation. They should be treated with basic human dignity.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:15:00 am »
It is just awful what the couple are going through. Forget about gender or sexual orientation. They should be treated with basic human dignity.

I feel like someone had it exactly right earlier, attach strings to the money we give their government and force them to at the minimum treat their citizens with some modicum of respect.  Although honestly if they don't take gay rights seriously in the US, why do I expect the US government to do anything for us overseas.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:42 am »

I feel like someone had it exactly right earlier, attach strings to the money we give their government and force them to at the minimum treat their citizens with some modicum of respect.  Although honestly if they don't take gay rights seriously in the US, why do I expect the US government to do anything for us overseas.

Hellraiser, I'm sure you noticed that the previous thread on this topic was locked because it was hijacked with this same idea of financial sanctions - and it was causing arguments bordering on flamebait.

If people decide to go down the same road in this thread, it will also be locked.

This is a warning to EVERYONE.

Ann

edited to add linkage
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:53:10 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:59:26 am »
For those of you in Malawe who are reading this forum; please understand that many of us in the United States, support this couple, and wonder why your country has decided on this action.  Their conduct has hurt nobody, and to stand in judgement of two people who's only misconduct is to love one another, is possibly the most perverted form of law enforcement.

My heart is sad for you and for them.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 02:02:31 pm »
I heard that Britian is forcing the issue of "Human Rights" to that country and this may force the government to change its point of view on Gay Rights.  

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2009/12/30/gay-malawi-couple-plead-not-guilty-to-indecency-charges/

A gay couple in Malawi who held a wedding ceremony last weekend have denied charges of gross public indecency.

Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza had a traditional ceremony in the south African country on Saturday.

Malawi punishes homosexuality with up to 14 years in prison and the couple were arrested.

They appeared at a court in Malawi's biggest city Blantyre and are expected to ask for bail on Monday.

Police on Tuesday they would be held in custody and could face further charges.

The UK is currently the largest bilateral donor of aid to Malawi with a ?75 million programme in 2009/2010.

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has said there should be "no blank cheque" for countries which "violate human rights".

He told the Scotsman that ministers should call for the charges against the couples should be dropped.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:04:09 pm by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:45:29 pm »
Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has said there should be "no blank cheque" for countries which "violate human rights".
that sounds like he is suggesting "financial sanctions" ;)

since it takes a public uprising and none of us individually can realistically influence our governments to change policies to support human/gay rights, change policies of withholding or contributing funds, or even whether they may use armed force to coerce another nation to changing it's customs and social practices, there's not much I can do than agree with Moffie.

I too think this situation in Malawi is an abuse of both human and gay rights, though perhaps I shouldn't even discriminate that much and just say, sexual orientation rights. I also abhor hearing of similar practices in Iran and from other nations with a more Muslim faith-based population.

I call/email/fax the legislators in my state and federal government and frequently protest the human rights issues and funding cuts within my own nation. I know my country spends large amounts of money overseas, in Malawi, in particular, trying to not only reform the government to become more human-rights orientated; but also to help with the vast food and HIV problems in that nation. It's a crying shame that neither nation is perfect and that people are still dying without access to meds and are being abused through human right violations.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline carousel

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04:02:13 pm »
The guy you are talking about, Peter Tatchell, is a gay activist in London.

He enjoys little political influence and could not be considered any spokesman for the country and those on power.  Although quite well known, he is very much on the fringes.

He has supported many causes, even before they were taken up generally.  For instance, he has for a very long time been an outspoken critic of Mugabe in Zimbabwe.

He has also experienced many threats to his own safety for holding his views.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:41:40 pm »
a gay activist in London.....He has supported many causes, even before they were taken up generally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tatchell
http://www.glbthalloffame.com/PeterTatchell/bio.htm

quite an interesting person, definitely with a long history of being an activist for gay rights
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Malawi Couple Released
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 11:23:19 am »
"Malawi's president pardons, releases gay couple"

Malawi's president says he has pardoned and ordered the release of a jailed gay couple sentenced to 14 years in prison.

President Bingu wa Mutharika made the announcement Saturday during a press conference with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in Lilongwe, the capital.

A judge earlier this month convicted and sentenced Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza on charges of unnatural acts and gross indecency, both colonial-era laws.

The two were arrested in December, a day after they celebrated their engagement.

The case has drawn international condemnation and sparked a debate on human rights in this conservative southern African country.

Homosexuality is illegal in at least 37 countries in Africa, including Malawi.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37413443/ns/world_news-africa/
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.