Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:02:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 296
Total: 298

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Herbs/Vitamins/Supplements to take?  (Read 22745 times)

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
Herbs/Vitamins/Supplements to take?
« on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:49 am »
Coming from those of you who do herbal-supplements and vitamins in addition to meds, what would you recommend for a near middle-aged male with HIV? Some have said Grapeseed Extract & Juniper Berry, others told me to up my Selenium and Fish Oil. Any suggestions/advice?
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Herbs/Vitamins/Supplements to take?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 03:50:23 am »
Check out CATIE supplement sheets.  Happy reading:

http://www.catie.ca/supple-e.nsf/supplement+sheets
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 03:56:18 am »
Check out CATIE supplement sheets.  Happy reading:

http://www.catie.ca/supple-e.nsf/supplement+sheets

OH, Thank You SO much! This is EXTREMELY helpful!!!
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:00:14 am »
Blackwing, I'd encourage you to go read through the history of threads on this board. You'll learn a lot about the various herbs and supplements we've experimented with over time -- and you'll learn, as did I, that their claims generally haven't lived up to the hype.

Right now, the consensus, backed up by articles and reports published on this and other sites, seems to be centering around high doses of Vitamin D, supplemental calcium, and fish oil; probiotics also garner mention. The need for supplemental selenium looks to be on the wane; its supporting research was done during pre-HAART days.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:15:56 am by Okealyshire »

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:51:42 am »
Oh and fish oil has pcbs.  So just eat fresh fish.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:11:04 am »
Multi-vitamian and fish oil is all I take. The fish oil was my Dr's idea because my HDL was so low. I ran across this graphic on digg a little while ago. It might help you separate the fish oil from the snake oil.

http://i.imgur.com/PzYiL.png
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:16:30 pm »
Oh and fish oil has pcbs.  So just eat fresh fish.

Fresh fish has PCBs too ;).

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:09 pm »
Blackwing, I'd encourage you to go read through the history of threads on this board. You'll learn a lot about the various herbs and supplements we've experimented with over time -- and you'll learn, as did I, that their claims generally haven't lived up to the hype.

Right now, the consensus, backed up by articles and reports published on this and other sites, seems to be centering around high doses of Vitamin D, supplemental calcium, and fish oil; probiotics also garner mention. The need for supplemental selenium looks to be on the wane; its supporting research was done during pre-HAART days.

I never found any supplements making any claims - just lots of naysayers who want to tell you not to take anything at all except what a doctor prescribes you.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:55:46 pm »
just lots of naysayers

Would that be The Cabal?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:43:39 pm »
Would that be The Cabal?

You'd know better than I.... I'm still new here.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »
You'd know better than I.... I'm still new here.

He was asking which "Naysayers" you were referring to.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:50:39 pm »
Talk about passive aggressive.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 05:51:50 pm »
Talk about passive aggressive.

Yes, that IS what I'd call what you're doing.

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:01:45 pm »
Blackwing, the catie sight has lots of information. You can also look at New York Buyers Club website.  There are tons of recommendations available one you start googling a specific supplement and HIV.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »
Blackwing, the catie sight has lots of information. You can also look at New York Buyers Club website.  There are tons of recommendations available one you start googling a specific supplement and HIV.

Thank you so much! It IS appreciated!

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:23 pm »
He was asking which "Naysayers" you were referring to.
nay·say·er [ náy sày ər ] (plural nay·say·ers) noun
Definition:an objector. somebody who speaks against something, especially somebody who habitually expresses contrary opinions

I was referring to the ones who are against taking vitamins and herbal-supplements in addition to their prescribed regimen.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 07:29:38 pm »
nay·say·er [ náy sày ər ] (plural nay·say·ers) noun
Definition:an objector. somebody who speaks against something, especially somebody who habitually expresses contrary opinions

I was referring to the ones who are against taking vitamins and herbal-supplements in addition to their prescribed regimen.

So I'm not sure you've caught onto how this forum thingy works...lemme help you out.  You asked for some information.  People responded in kind with their opinions for and against any particular thing.  You were referenced some information that's a little bit more objective.  Why you lobbed the first stone by referring to anyone as a naysayer is beyond me.  They gave their opinion, that it is not in line with your own just means it's different (not right or wrong).  It looks like the consensus amongst most of the forum members here is that most of the herbal stuff is crap.  Multivitamin, calcium+D, fish oil, and probiotics all got good reviews.  If you didn't want our opinions, why did you ask at all?  You could've found the resources on your own or through reading back through older threads.  There's no need to argue or call names.  Everyone here isn't against you contrary to what you may think.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:18 pm »
I began seeing a new Doctor and she recommended for me to take Prenatal Vitamins.  She said she recommends that to all her HIV patients.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 07:56:17 pm »
So I'm not sure you've caught onto how this forum thingy works...lemme help you out.  You asked for some information.  People responded in kind with their opinions for and against any particular thing.  You were referenced some information that's a little bit more objective.  Why you lobbed the first stone by referring to anyone as a naysayer is beyond me.  They gave their opinion, that it is not in line with your own just means it's different (not right or wrong).  It looks like the consensus amongst most of the forum members here is that most of the herbal stuff is crap.  Multivitamin, calcium+D, fish oil, and probiotics all got good reviews.  If you didn't want our opinions, why did you ask at all?  You could've found the resources on your own or through reading back through older threads.  There's no need to argue or call names.  Everyone here isn't against you contrary to what you may think.

OK, while you are busy trying to take offense to something and busy trying to find something to take offense at - I wasn't referring to either of you, I was referring to people who are adamantly against taking supplements in addition to your meds. I asked those who WEREN'T desperate for somebody to fight with what supplements they recommend - and intended an answer from someone who IS for taking supplements.. I COULD'VE gone on Google to try to find it, but I didn't... I asked members of this forum because they have first-hand experience with HIV. I wasn't arguing with anyone and I wasn't calling anyone any names. Now get over yourself, princess. Geez.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »
I began seeing a new Doctor and she recommended for me to take Prenatal Vitamins.  She said she recommends that to all her HIV patients.

That's a good idea, actually.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 11:31:04 pm »

Might prenatal vitamins have too much iron for men? I checked the ingredients of several prenatal vitamins on the Walgreens web site; the iron content ranged between 25 and 30 mg.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 11:41:05 pm »
Might prenatal vitamins have too much iron for men? I checked the ingredients of several prenatal vitamins on the Walgreens web site; the iron content ranged between 25 and 30 mg.

I take 27 mg of Iron a day anyway....

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 11:47:57 pm »

Blackwingbear,

Do you have a reason for taking iron?  Most men have too much iron in their system to begin with and taking extra as a supplement is said to be one of the worst things we could do.  Do you specifically have a deficiency and know you need some? 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 11:54:47 pm »
Blackwingbear,

Do you have a reason for taking iron?  Most men have too much iron in their system to begin with and taking extra as a supplement is said to be one of the worst things we could do.  Do you specifically have a deficiency and know you need some? 

I began taking it as the multivitamin I take doesn't contain Iron. What is the normal level for a middle-aged male to consume daily?

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 12:27:32 am »
I've just pulled down from the shelf a guide to health which I won't dare name as it would incur the wrath of those hostile to "alternative" medicine, who are numerous here.  Without quoting from it at length, the message of the relevant chapter is as follows:

1. The average man already had enough or, in fact, more than enough iron in his system, and the tendency to excess increases with age.  

2. Even a moderately healthy diet contains plenty of iron.  That is, you have to be making a conscious effort to get enough zinc or enough potassium from your food, but even the average American probably gets enough iron.  

3. The consequences of excessive iron in a man's bloodstream are dire and range from oxidative stress, inflammation, artery disease, cancer, general heaviness of body and mind.  

Also, most minerals need to be in balance with other minerals in order to function properly.  In the case of iron, there needs to be a certain balance between it and zinc and copper; too much of any one of the three can lead to deficiencies in the others.  Since many of us do not get enough zinc to begin with, excess iron could result in serious zinc deficiency, which for many of us is a real problem.  Most multi-vitamins designed for men--like the one you mention--deliberately do not include iron because men already have enough; they contain zinc and copper in order to bring them into balance.  

Personally, I avoid anything in pill form and try to get all my vitamins and minerals from food.  For example, I eat oysters a lot because I believe in zinc, I eat almonds regularly for vitamin E, and I eat various things (tuna, barley, mushrooms) to get selenium.  Liver and kidneys are healthy food, despite lots of iron, because, also being rich in copper, they don't lead to imbalance.  Most whole foods, eaten in sane quantities, and in something resembling a rational balance with other whole foods, will produce a reasonable balance of nutrients.  It's when we start taking supplements that we need to worry.  

I hope this helps!  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:30:55 am by Nestor »
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 12:39:39 am »
I began taking it as the multivitamin I take doesn't contain Iron. What is the normal level for a middle-aged male to consume daily?
the better ? to ask is why are u taking it if u don't know that answer? ;)

I recently started taking a multi-vitamin because the SC ADAP pharmacy that my clinic runs prescription though gives me a free bottle every month ;), and these don't make me puke like so many others have that I tried years ago ;D. (there I was in the other thread dissing SC :D, yet they do give me free vitamins even if they are going to quit paying for HIV meds. ::)) I don't take anything else because I haven't a clue about what is needed or what dosages.  :D

(I just realized too that I also haven't noticed any change in health over the last 4 months of taking these vitamins either.  :-\ ::) hmmm. i may just quit then if it's not going to make my health any different than not taking it. Maybe I'll give it another 2 months and evaluate the value of vitamins at 6 months)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 10:00:43 am »
I've just pulled down from the shelf a guide to health which I won't dare name as it would incur the wrath of those hostile to "alternative" medicine, who are numerous here.

So I have noticed!

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 10:02:16 am »
1. The average man already had enough or, in fact, more than enough iron in his system, and the tendency to excess increases with age.  

2. Even a moderately healthy diet contains plenty of iron.  That is, you have to be making a conscious effort to get enough zinc or enough potassium from your food, but even the average American probably gets enough iron.  

3. The consequences of excessive iron in a man's bloodstream are dire and range from oxidative stress, inflammation, artery disease, cancer, general heaviness of body and mind.  

Well, with that in mind perhaps I'd best stave-off of it.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 10:04:54 am »
(I just realized too that I also haven't noticed any change in health over the last 4 months of taking these vitamins either.  :-\ ::) hmmm. i may just quit then if it's not going to make my health any different than not taking it. Maybe I'll give it another 2 months and evaluate the value of vitamins at 6 months)

What do you consider a change in your health here? A multivitamin provides the nutrients your body needs to continue functioning.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 10:06:36 am »
What do you consider a change in your health here? A multivitamin provides the nutrients your body needs to continue functioning.

So does eating.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 10:07:47 am »
So does eating.

If your diet has a broad enough range of vitamins and nutrients, true!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 10:08:44 am »
I've had four HIV specialists/GPs over the course of 17 years and each one has specified a multi-vitamin without iron.

It's always wise for the patient to initiate a discussion with their doctor about what vitamins, etc. they take with their HIV meds so that one avoids the situation the OP finds himself in.

Offline edfu

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:21 am »

You really need to spend more time researching the supplements you take or are thinking of taking and less time belly-aching about the antiretrovirals that will save your life.  Nestor has given you the dire consequences of having too much iron in your system.  The recommended daily amount of iron for men 19 years and older is 8 mg, and that includes from the food you eat, which should be sufficient.  The absolute daily maximum amount for those deficient in iron is 45 mg.  You need to have your blood tested for iron levels to determine if you are deficient or have too much.  Check this out:

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

Several years ago I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis, which is too much iron in my system.  The cure is phlebotomy, wherein a pint of blood is removed once or twice a week for several months to a year.  This blood is then actually discarded.  Terrible.  Luckily, my doctor figured that my excessive iron might be coming from a common brand-name multi-vitamin with iron I was taking; he advised switching to a multi-vitamin, like you are currently taking, that does not contain any iron.  That actually solved the problem.  So the level of iron in your blood can be quite sensitive and should not be fooled with willy-nilly.  

See if your doctor will test your iron level the next time you get your blood tested, and in the meantime stop taking the supplement.  Good luck.      
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:48 am »

Heart attack city...

Unless you are losing blood through monthly menstruation (which doesn't seem too likely eh?  :) ) you don't need an iron supplement.  And excessive iron in the diet can increase heart attack risk for people with certain (not uncommon) genes.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 10:12:51 am »
You really need to spend more time researching the supplements you take or are thinking of taking and less time belly-aching about the antiretrovirals that will save your life.

Show me a quote where I belly-ache about taking Atripla. Go ahead, I dare ya - you won't because I love the shit. Ever think maybe that your assumptions are wrong??

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 10:13:57 am »
I've had four HIV specialists/GPs over the course of 17 years and each one has specified a multi-vitamin without iron.

It's always wise for the patient to initiate a discussion with their doctor about what vitamins, etc. they take with their HIV meds so that one avoids the situation the OP finds himself in.

TRUE. Unfortunately, I'm in Georgia - I get to see my doctor MAYBE once every 5-6 months.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:17 am »
TRUE. Unfortunately, I'm in Georgia - I get to see my doctor MAYBE once every 5-6 months.

And how long have you been ingesting all of this iron, pray tell?

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:09 am »
And how long have you been ingesting all of this iron, pray tell?

Just a couple months now, as the multivitamin I switched to doesn't contain it (sharing a multivitamin container with my other-half who has polycythemia and cannot take iron). Seeing as I don't need it and shouldn't take it, I can cut that out.

Offline edfu

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 10:22:34 am »
Show me a quote where I belly-ache about taking Atripla. Go ahead, I dare ya - you won't because I love the shit. Ever think maybe that your assumptions are wrong??

...just trying to get your attention.   ;D
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 10:23:29 am »
Just a couple months now, as the multivitamin I switched to doesn't contain it (sharing a multivitamin container with my other-half who has polycythemia and cannot take iron). Seeing as I don't need it and shouldn't take it, I can cut that out.

That's good that it's only a couple of months.  I could be wrong, but I think it's women that need iron so maybe you can just give your stuff to a girl and go buy some new without iron.  Still, I will reiterate that if you want to go down the supplement road just shove a list of what your taking at your doctor and make him discuss it.

Personally I'm not a "naysayer" about this topic, as I took loads of stuff in the early/mid-90's, but I've now arrived at a less-is-more approach as it leads to less potential conflicts.  You know how a couple years later you can easily find out that you shouldn't have been taking this or that, etc.  So I just keep it simple with the multi-vitamin, fish oil (really only needed if your lipid profile is slightly elevated, though personally I've only seen it have a slight effect) and calcium/vit-D (your Atripla contains tenofovir so I'd actually highly recommend taking this to counteract any bone density issues down the road -- in fact I'd make it a priority of doing it even above other stuff).

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 10:24:23 am »
...just trying to get your attention.   ;D

Um...Why? *facepalm*

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:46 am »
Personally I'm not a "naysayer" about this topic, as I took loads of stuff in the early/mid-90's, but I've now arrived at a less-is-more approach as it leads to less potential conflicts.  You know how a couple years later you can easily find out that you shouldn't have been taking this or that, etc.  So I just keep it simple with the multi-vitamin, fish oil (really only needed if your lipid profile is slightly elevated, though personally I've only seen it have a slight effect) and calcium/vit-D (your Atripla contains tenofovir so I'd actually highly recommend taking this to counteract any bone density issues down the road -- in fact I'd make it a priority of doing it even above other stuff).

Thank you, Miss P... That was helpful - I hadn't considered the effect of the Tenofovir!  :)

Offline edfu

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:47 am »
Um...Why? *facepalm*

You, yesterday at 2:03:  "I'm an arrogant asshole...and proud of it."   ::)

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 11:47:38 am »

Yeah... So? It's kept me alive this long. Or was that the problem you had with the statement?

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 11:49:05 am »

Somehow I really fail to see the connection you are trying to make here.

Offline edfu

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2010, 11:56:52 am »
I'm sorry.  My sense of humor is vile.  I was just trying to help. 

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 01:08:10 pm »
I'm sorry.  My sense of humor is vile.  I was just trying to help. 

No problem at all. I have a really weird sense of humor myself that most people don't get.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.