Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:48:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 221
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla Puffy eyes?  (Read 11417 times)

Offline what a life

Atripla Puffy eyes?
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:07 am »
I was on Atripla but taken as the three pills back in 2007 and 2008. I switched to new meds until two days ago. The first morning I woke up fine but after my shower my eyes itched and were a little puffy now it's the second morning and my eyes are more then a little puffy and they really itch. It looks like I've been out drinking for the last week. I will call my doctor but what do you think? Thank you.
I keep waiting to wake up from this dream. Why me? The past is history, Tomorrow is unknown and today is the present "a gift"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Atripla Puffy eyes?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:42:06 am »
I really doubt that Atripla has anything to do with your itchy eyes. Sounds like you've picked up something called "pink-eye", which is a common infection. Definitely call your doctor.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kev72

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 04:44:07 pm »
I've been on Atripla for 3 weeks, and can't say I have noticed itchy or puffy eyes. The only significant side effect was feeling tired and blah about an hour after taking it. Now that has even went away.

Offline what a life

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »
As the day has gone on it's a rash that is around my eyes and forehead. My eyeballs are fine. It's really itchy and a bit painful. I look like a lobster. Atripla is the only thing different in my daily life. I guess this is what the studies say about 50% getting rashes in the 1st 3 weeks.
I keep waiting to wake up from this dream. Why me? The past is history, Tomorrow is unknown and today is the present "a gift"

Offline Luke

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:19:11 am »
The puffy eyes in the morning, when you start treatment with Atripla, is a perfectly normal side-effect.

It would be highly unusual for the Atripla itch and rash to set in so soon after starting - it generally  takes a week, or so, for the level of drugs to build up in your system - but, not knowing what drugs you were on before switching to Atripla, it is hard to say that it is nothing to do with Atripla.

If this itching really is affecting your eyes though, and not just your skin, then you really should be seeking qualified medical advice. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:29 am »
The puffy eyes in the morning, when you start treatment with Atripla, is a perfectly normal side-effect.

It would be highly unusual for the Atripla itch and rash to set in so soon after starting - it generally  takes a week, or so, for the level of drugs to build up in your system - but, not knowing what drugs you were on before switching to Atripla, it is hard to say that it is nothing to do with Atripla.

If this itching really is affecting your eyes though, and not just your skin, then you really should be seeking qualified medical advice. 

Puffy eyes as a "perfectly normal" side effect of Atripla? Not really. The only literature I can find which connects Atripla and puffy eyes talks about puffy eyes as a result of the sleeplessness which some people experience when on Atripla.

MtD

Offline Luke

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 06:16:15 am »
Puffy eyes as a "perfectly normal" side effect of Atripla? Not really. The only literature I can find which connects Atripla and puffy eyes talks about puffy eyes as a result of the sleeplessness which some people experience when on Atripla.

MtD

Yes, really! Puffy eyes in the morning are a perfectly normal experience .. as countless posts in these forums testify to. And do pray tell who you are to say that these puffy eyes aren't to do with the perfectly normal disturbed sleep associated with Atripla?

Dude, save your tragic, shrill, ignorant trolling for someone who is likely to be intimidated by it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:30:16 am by Luke »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 06:32:25 am »
Yes, really! Puffy eyes in the morning are a perfectly normal experience .. as countless posts in these forums testify to. And do pray tell who you are to say that these puffy eyes aren't to do with the perfectly normal disturbed sleep associated with Atripla?

Dude, save your tragic trolling for someone who is likely to be intimidated by it.

Settle down there, Cool Hand.

Your original advice was not entirely correct. Puffy eyes are not a direct side effect of Atripla, rather they can be the result of the sleeplessness that some folks experience with Atripla usage.

MtD

Offline Luke

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 06:34:34 am »
Settle down there, Cool Hand.

Your original advice was not entirely correct. Puffy eyes are not a direct side effect of Atripla, rather they can be the result of the sleeplessness that some folks experience with Atripla usage.

MtD

My original advice is entirely correct - your lame attempt at picking holes just happened to backfire on you and you don't like it.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 06:37:50 am »
My original advice is entirely correct - your lame attempt at picking holes just happened to backfire on you and you don't like it.

Well whatever floats your boat, kiddo.  ::)

MtD

Offline Luke

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 06:39:06 am »
Well whatever floats your boat, kiddo.  ::)

MtD

Exactly, dodgy old codger.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 06:44:06 am »
Exactly, dodgy old codger.

Heh. :)

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:41 am »
I was on Atripla but taken as the three pills back in 2007 and 2008. I switched to new meds until two days ago. The first morning I woke up fine but after my shower my eyes itched and were a little puffy now it's the second morning and my eyes are more then a little puffy and they really itch. It looks like I've been out drinking for the last week. I will call my doctor but what do you think? Thank you.

I'm not sure where you live. It's spring and could easily be allergies.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 07:40:37 am »
Goes along with the information that is in your signature line which is also incorrect.

Offline Luke

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:43:50 am »
Goes along with the information that is in your signature line which is also incorrect.

Oh, the gathering of the clique :)

Is that just YOUR opinion, Rod (and the opinion of your tragic little clique) or can you actually show me anything credible to substantiate that totally bizarre claim you just made?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:00 am »

Oh, the gathering of the clique :)

Is that just YOUR opinion, Rod (and the opinion of your tragic little clique) or can you actually show me anything credible to substantiate that totally bizarre claim you just made?
I have the scientific facts to back up my claims where are yours.

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan

Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117

Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/9119DA7D-74C3-4E96-B2B2-75EC08394FD8.asp
http://www.aegis.com/news/pr/1998/pr980105.html

Offline Luke

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:56:33 am »
I have the scientific facts to back up my claims where are yours.

In that case, would you care to post those scientific 'facts'? Not a single references you just posted contradicts anything in that is stated in my signature line. In fact, several of the references you have posted actually support what is posted in my signature line.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:58:26 am by Luke »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:08:55 am »
In that case, would you care to post those scientific 'facts'? Not a single references you just posted contradicts anything in that is stated in my signature line. In fact, several of the references you have posted actually support what is posted in my signature line.
Like you took the time to go look them up. Now post your scientific information to back yourself up or move along.

Offline Luke

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 08:17:53 am »
Like you took the time to go look them up. Now post your scientific information to back yourself up or move along.

Rod, I have heard all your hackneyed arguments on oral sex before; so I don't need to look up what I am already familiar with .. and given that several of your cited sources explicitly support what it says in my signature line, I really don't need to provide any more references.

None of your cited references state that oral sex isn't a viable route of HIV transmission; and if your are really claiming that they do, then you are disingenuous in the extreme.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 08:27:06 am »
Rod, I have heard all your hackneyed arguments on oral sex before; so I don't need to look up what I am already familiar with .. and given that several of your cited sources explicitly support what it says in my signature line, I really don't need to provide any more references.

None of your cited references state that oral sex isn't a viable route of HIV transmission; and if your are really claiming that they do, then you are disingenuous in the extreme.

When you get an education in HIV transmission then you come back and let us all know. It amazes me that someone like yourself contracted HIV when you knew how to protect yourself. Don’t try to even say you contracted HIV from oral sex. You’ve had HIV for three years well when you have had HIV for 26 years you come back with your education on HIV.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:28:59 am by RapidRod »

Offline Luke

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 08:33:16 am »
When you get an education in HIV transmission then you come back and let us all know. It amazes me that someone like yourself contracted HIV when you knew how to protect yourself. Don’t try to even say you contracted HIV from oral sex. You’ve had HIV for three years well when you have had HIV for 26 you come back with your education on HIV.

When you get an education in HIV transmission, then I might respect your banal utterances. Others seems to consider that my knowledge of HIV transmission is sufficiently good that I was invited to contribute to the 'Am I infected?' forums. One of the reasons I chose to decline that offer was that I wasn't willing to toe wholly irresponsible and morally indefensible line being pimped by selfish individuals such as yourself.

You, Rod, are living proof of the fact that having lived with HIV for a prolonged period of time doesn't automatically give one an understanding of the science of HIV.

As for the crass ignorance of your statement about how I could have contracted HIV, I will treat that with the utter contempt that it (and indeed you) deserve.

It really does disgust me that people such as yourself are so happy to perpetuate a belief that oral sex only happens in a perfect world where anyone who engages in oral sex doesn't have damaged tissue in the mouth or throat, doesn't have untreated sexually transmitted infection (STI) in the throat, doesn't have ulceration on the penis and doesn't have a high viral.

Incidentally, if what I have in my signature line is wrong, why it it that this very site's HIV 101 very clearly states that oral sex possible route of HIV transmission? Why is it that sites such as Aidsmap have oral sex listed as a 'less risky activity', not just a 'theoretical risk'? Because that isn't what the weight of scientific evidence says .. unless you are really desperate to interpret it that way, or have a vested interest in having others believe that it should be interpreted that way.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:44:22 am by Luke »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:59:38 am »
ROFL, if you knew half of what you thought you do, you might even be dangerous.

Offline Luke

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 09:06:26 am »
ROFL, if you knew half of what you thought you do, you might even be dangerous.

At least I know twice as much as you :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 10:43:08 am »
Luke,

The risk of being infected with hiv through getting a blowjob or going down on a woman (or being the recipient of same) IS zero. The risk of being infected while GIVING a blowjob is vanishingly small and restricted to people with poor oral health and hygiene or have some other infection in the mouth/throat.

And this has been proven through three long-term serodiscordant studies. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. The only studies where it was concluded that oral transmission is possible were based on patient report, and patient report is notoriously unreliable.

Now can we please stop the hijack of this thread and get back to the matter of the OPs itchy eyes, which has turned out to be a rash on his face. DO NOT continue the hijack! Luke, if you wish to continue this discussion, either start a new thread or PM me. It's been a long time since we chatted. :)

What (OP), it sounds like you have the rash associated with some of the meds in Atripla, but that's somewhat odd considering you've been on the same meds in their separate forms for some time now. Please do call you doctor and get his opinion.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Luke

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 11:42:15 am »
The risk of being infected with hiv through getting a blowjob or going down on a woman (or being the recipient of same) IS zero. The risk of being infected while GIVING a blowjob is vanishingly small and restricted to people with poor oral health and hygiene or have some other infection in the mouth/throat.

And according to the NIH, an estimated 80 percent of all adults in the United States currently have  some form of periodontal (gum) disease; meaning that the 'restricted to people with poor oral health and hygiene' risk is probably present in the vast majority of people  who are likely to be performing oral sex.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/GumDiseases/PeriodontalGumDisease.htm

Case rested. Thank you. Over and out.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 12:23:58 pm »
Hi Luke!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.