Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:12:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 436
Total: 437

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested positive one year ago, still scared  (Read 10412 times)

Offline DragonLion

Tested positive one year ago, still scared
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:37:05 am »
Hey everyone, Terry here. I'm not one to talk about my diagnosis but have read your questions and answers and see that there is a lot of support and love out there.

When I tested positive I was very scared. When I finally got my blood done I was devastated. My CD4 was 8, VL >100,000, percentage 2%,
(8-12-05).

I was afraid to ask what this meant. I just did some reading and web surfing to find answers. I have realized that it may be a good thing to talk with some that are going through the same life changing event. I do have a most wonderful doctor that has explained and answered any questions that I have, but I still have this feeling that she is not telling me the bad parts.

I started meds October 19, 2005, (Norvir, Reyataz, Truvada)
December 2005 - Cd4 41, VL 74,000, 6 %
February 2006 - diagnosed with MAC - CD4 81, VL 17,260, 5%
July 2006 - CD4 74, VL undetectable, 4%

My question, does the CD4 and percentage usually jump up and down, and will it get to that magical 200.

Sorry to be long winded, I haven't even talked about everything that has happened in this last year, but will get into that when I finally start talking about this.

STILL SCARED!!!

Offline RapidRod

Re: Tested positive one year ago, still scared
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 12:38:25 pm »
Yes, your CD4% can fluctuate, you have to be patient. Sometimes you'll feel like you will never reach the 200 mark you will. It takes time with as low as your CD4 was and complicated by MAC.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:39:56 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:32:53 pm »
Hi Dragon, welcome to the forums.

Wow, it sounds like you were diagnosed in the nick of time! As Rodney says, it could take a while for your CD4s to reach 200, but it's important to keep in mind that you can remain healthy with fewer - many people do. You don't mention being on a drug like Bactrim - you should be taking something like that to stop you from getting things like PCP.

If you haven't already, please have a look at the Just Tested Poz Welcome Thread. There you will find out about all the other sections of this website, including the Lessons. The Lessons are great, they're written in plain language and easy to take in. You don't have to learn everything all at once and please feel free to ask any questions that may arise while you read.

I'm really glad you found us. You don't have to be alone with all this - there are many members here who have had numbers like yours and are still going strong.

Take care, and hang in there!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:59:15 pm »
Hey Dragon,

Other than welcoming you here I thought you might need to meet someone like me.  I have been poz for 22 years and at one time I had so few T-cells that I actually named them.  I went for 8 years with counts below 200 but continued to work.  I've been through half or more of the meds, but I am still here because I know how to fight for my life, just like you are doing.

It is true that your numbers will take a while to rebound.  When I started my last combo my CD4s were around 180, but over the past 4 years my numbers have changed dramatically so that I now have 650 CD4s, 27% and VL undetectable.  My point is that if I can do it, then so can you.  Educate yourself about HIV and make sure you have a good doctor.

Taking care of yourself is not a spectator sport.  You must be involved in every facet of your care but do not let that scare you.  A little knowledge goes a long way, so as Ann suggested start reading the Lessons so you will know how to manage your own health.

The bottom line is you can live a very long life if you commit to taking care of yourself.  This is one time in life that it is fine to be selfish, because we are talking about your life.  So take a deep breath and then release it slowly and start to believe that your health will improve.  Educate yourself so that you can make that belief reality.

We are here when you need us, for whatever reason, because we have all been where you are going.  You do not have to do this alone and we are never any farther than the nearest computer.

Be well my friend.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 08:35:27 pm »
Hello Terry, it is Eldon.

It is unfortunate that you have tested HIV positive. However, the good thing is that you DO now know of your health circumstance and you CAN DO something about it. Just as the others have said, it is a steady slow incline to get past that 200 mark. Please DO take your meds as your Doctor has prescribed them to you. Drink plenty of fluids, take a multi-vitamin, change your diet, get some exercise, and definitely make it your business to get your proper rest.

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME here to the forums. Here as you have seen, you will find communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions answered relating to HIV/AIDS. We are all in this together and you are NOT alone. Please DO feel free to come to vent from time-to-time with whatever it is on your mind.

As Ann mentioned, there is a lot of information here for you at your disposal on this site. There are REAL people here that will listen as well as answer you.

Again, Welcome and make the BEST of each Day!

Offline DragonLion

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 02:11:17 pm »
DragonLion here, thank you everyone for your thoughts and insight.
 Ann, I'm on Mepron to protect me against PCP, I could not take Bactrim or Dapsone, I'm allergic to sulfa drugs.

I take Ethambutol and Zithromax for the MAC. Right now my drug list totals 15.

Killfoile, thank you so much. I am 50 years old and have only known I'm poz within the last year. Your message was really wonderful to hear and yes I'm a fighter. I do have great doctors and I do discuss everything with them. I uderstand that I have to be patient when it comes to T-cells.

Again thanks to everyone. I'll keep in contact for sure. I don't know why I was so scared to talk to anyone but I'm not anymore, thanks.

Love and Well Wishes Everyone
DragonLion

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 04:46:36 pm »
    HEY everyone
I was diagnosed in JAN OF 05. still having a hard time with this. But anyway, My CD4 was below 200 And viral load was in the 100,00"s . I was in such  shock that I really can't remember..lol...
I really wasn;t gonna seek treatment,I just didn't care at that point. So much has happened to me at that point I was threw fighting. My family decided to have an intervention with me. So to make a long story short I agreed.
 What I was gonna say is my CD4  went up slowly but  the meds started to work
My VL is undetectable now. So anyway, my CD4 started going back down again and my ID doc told me tthat  CD4 counts will fluctuate with stress levels.
He basically told me I need to relax. I also have diabetes and high blood pressure along with many other health issues.
So, I started to do breathing excersises. And I started doing different kinds of  arts and crafts to occupy my mind and it works. I also listen to mild classical music..lol.. never thought I'd me listening to that kind of music.lol..,. Whatever works for you go for it. Thank you for reading...HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.