Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depression?  (Read 6477 times)

Offline bunny76

Depression?
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:30:06 pm »
Hi ladies

I have been lurking on this forum for years and finally decided to sign up.  I got diagnosed four years ago but probably got infected 5 years before my diagnosis.  I have been on atripla for three years now.  I got married to a negative man and moved from a large city away from a circle of friends and support group to his very small town where i have no friends but my BIG SECRET.

My brother dies abroad in December and I attended his funeral, I got back to the little town and all I have is my husband.  I am not interested in anything anymore, I am cold towards my husband, I am irritable, I have mood swings. We are on vacation as i write and I am least interested in any activities. My husband does not understand my behaviour because he has no clue what I might be going through.

I am trying to get a job as a flight attendant so I could probably be out there around people and away from this little town where I know nobody.  I hope this is not a selfish idea.  I have a home business that brings in a lot of money but I think themoney is not actually bringing me happiness.

I dont want to take anti-depressants cuz I feel I just need to be a certain circle of people and not where I am right now.

by the way he wants us to concieve but I dont know about that right now.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Depression?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »
Bunny,

Welcome to the forums, particularly our little women's family.  I'm sorry to hear about everything you're going through.  I would suggest you seeing a therapist, first off.  Secondly, I don't know where you're at, but I would try to get in touch with an Aids Organization that's close by, or in a surrounding vicinity.  They could put you in touch with a support group, where you could meet other positive people and not feel so alone.  That's the two places I would start.

Good luck and I hope to hear more from you.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline knittygritty

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 04:07:33 pm »
Hey hun. I am also a lurker who occasionally pops my head out. your post brought me out because I totally understand what you're going through.
  I have no one that knows my 'little secret' because my husband  dosen't want me to tell anyone because he's afraid how they'll think of us or treat us. He also hates if I even bring up the fact that 'yes. I have hiv. if my cd4 count drops a little lower I'll go back to being technically having AIDS'
 he's not for me going to a therapist and we can't afford for me to be on happy pills with the other meds I'm on.
  But yeah I am very cold to people. I don't have any friends where we live now and I don't even care about really making friends because I'm like what's the damn point I only have to many good years left.
  When I was diagnosed 12/9/06 I was immediately put on meds my cd4 was in like the low 70's and I had PCP pneumonia that I was in the hospital for months for.
 I have no joy in my life. I rarely smile and am always just breaking down in tears.
  I am also getting back into cutting and I skip my meds if I'm really depressed.

yeah I have no good advice for you but at least you can know you're not alone.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you.  - Grandpa Simpson
  I knit, therefore I am  -  Me

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 08:50:28 pm »
Knittygritty,

If you're feeling that blue that you're skipping meds, I urge you to get in touch with you ASO (Aids Service Organization) and talk to someone.  Please.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline jay195

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:59:32 pm »
Bunny,

Welcome to the forums, particularly our little women's family.  I'm sorry to hear about everything you're going through.  I would suggest you seeing a therapist, first off.  Secondly, I don't know where you're at, but I would try to get in touch with an Aids Organization that's close by, or in a surrounding vicinity.  They could put you in touch with a support group, where you could meet other positive people and not feel so alone.  That's the two places I would start.

Good luck and I hope to hear more from you.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline bunny76

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:32 pm »
thansk to everybody that responded to my post.  thank you all for the encouraging words.  I am doing much better.  I am "out of the dpression mode".  I still have no frieds and hate this little town.  I have resorted to shopping to make myself feel good. 

My husband and I leave for Vegas tomorrow for the weekend.  I interviewed with an airline and am awaiting trainig date so I will be out in the skies and out there meeting meeting and being around people in no time.  Wish me luck.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:24:13 am »
Hey Bunny, good to hear from you again.  Retail therapy is always nice. ;)

Good luck with the flying thing.  I think you'll love it.

Offline netta

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 10:40:24 am »
Dear Bunny,
glad you are feeling better and have set goals for yourself. I recently lost my brother also. Grieving is a process that you must allow yourself to feel.

Dear Nitty,
I urge you to get some help,there are places you can go for free,like your local health department,for meds and conseling.
I know this because I have been there. I suffer from depression, for over 30 years!!!
I know what it feels like to have no hope .Cutting is self destuctive and a cry for help.
Please don't hurt yourself anymore, writting how you feel and keepinga journal may help.
I have been on antidepressants and they have helped me. I recently weaned myself down to a lower dose after so many years, 150 mg to 50 mg of zoloff. This was not an easy decision, but something I have wanted for years but afraid. Eventually I may wean off completely after a year, but if not I am comfortable now.
Its nothing wrong with asking for help and taking antidepressants!
 I am a longterm aids survivor, lived with this over 20 years,  and very thankful and blessed.
Don't think about death, live your life,one day at a time.Count your blessings!!!!
I will be praying or you.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:44:22 am by netta »
"to thine own self be true"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.