Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: hiv herpes  (Read 14423 times)

Offline diddy

hiv herpes
« on: August 05, 2008, 04:49:52 pm »
whats the corelation between herpes and hiv ,do they mean you can catch herpes and hiv at the same time,likethey piggyback each other

Offline RapidRod

Re: hiv herpes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:58:30 pm »
Not everyone that contracts hepes contracts HIV and nor does everyone that contracts HIV contracts herpes.

Offline diddy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »
but do most epopel catch both tgether at the same time.......I read most people who have hiv have herpes too

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:48 pm »
NO..

Offline diddy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:45:33 am »
so does one virus ride on the other ie you can get infected by herpes and hiv together at the same time.....is that why most people who have hiv have herpes too

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:02:56 am »
No, HIV does not "piggyback" on the Herpes Simplex Virus to mount an infection. They are two entirely unrelated viruses.

HSV is an extremely common virus in humans. There are two kinds, type 1 and type 2 and they both can cause genital lesions and oral lesions, depending on the site of infection. The reasons lots of HIV positive people have herpes infections is because it's common, not because of a special relationship between the two viruses.

MtD

Offline diddy

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 11:20:10 am »
has anyone heard of Mirates tests ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:19 am »
Diddy,

MiraTes tests are not approved by the FDA. The Dutch don't like them either, as the link will show you. There are NO home hiv testing kits approved in the UK. You can go to any GUM clinic for free and confidential testing.

How about you stop beating around the bush and tell us what, exactly, leads you to believe you need to test? You could very well be worrying over nothing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline diddy

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:16:29 pm »
I cannot go to a clinic Im agorophobic so I thought I would try and find a reliable home test....I heard Mirates were pretty good then I saw your link....but Im thinking its better to have this test than nothing as I did have unprotected sex

Where did you see that link

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 01:51:10 pm »
Diddy,

Where did I see the link? I googled.

You're just going to have to bite the bullet and go test. As I told you, there are NO home hiv tests approved for use in the UK.

When you say "unprotected sex", unless you're talking about unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline diddy

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 01:55:51 pm »
yes it was unprotected vaginal sex ...I had a mirates test and was negative at 14 weeks but not sure whether to trust the result

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 01:58:18 pm »
Diddy,

Home tests that aren't approved are usually prone to false positives. If you're a male, it's unlikely that you'd be infected from a one-time unprotected vaginal encounter anyway.

At the end of the day, if you REALLY want to know your hiv status, you'll go get properly tested at a GUM clinic.

Other than that, there's nothing more we can do for you here. If you refuse to test, there's nothing more we can say to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline diddy

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 02:04:54 pm »
can I be confident of my mirates HIV test result

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:24 pm »
Diddy,

One more time, they aren't approved. Whether or not you trust it is entirely up to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline diddy

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 02:20:18 pm »
would a test like mirates actually conatin real HIV as I may have broken the case and touched the strip with my wound

as on that link you sent me it said they maybe unsafe!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:23:06 pm by diddy »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 02:40:32 pm »
Diddy,

There is no hiv present in ANY hiv test.

I suggest you seek the help of a mental health care professional. If your agoraphobia is so bad that you cannot go to a clinic to test for hiv, then perhaps it's time you dealt with that.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to avoid getting the face-to-face help you need.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline diddy

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 05:16:19 pm »
ok check out this link....it says mirates is ok ?

http://www.nat.org.uk/document/448

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 06:00:01 pm »
Do you know the difference between a sampling kit and a self test kit? Selftesting
for HIV is illegal in the UK.
If you would have correctly read the link you provided you would have read it.

Offline diddy

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 06:01:14 pm »
yes I did but it mentions Mirates is used in Netherlands and is approved

why is it illegal in UK ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »
Contact your Health Ministry and ask if you want to know

Offline diddy

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:24 pm »
why are thye illegal in US THEN

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 06:19:15 pm »
They are not FDA approved and have not went through the rigorous process of testing.  End of subject.

Offline diddy

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 06:21:48 pm »
yes but do they work

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:10 pm »
Diddy,

As far as I am aware, the only FDA approved home testing kit is HomeAccess and the last time I checked, they do not sell outside the US.

According to the NAT publication the only home tests that aren't illegal are the type you have to send off for the results to be interpreted. Did you do that with your test or did you interpret it yourself?

If you sent it off, then you're hiv negative. If you interpreted yourself, then it was an illegal test and you should go to a GUM.

Home testing is generally frowned upon in the UK. Maybe things are starting to change in that regard. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline diddy

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 06:45:31 pm »
Hi Ann mine was interpretd myself but hat report does mention Mirates and an organisaton I dont know if youve heard of called http://www.soaaids.nl/  says its reliable

Maybe I could do the saliva one on Dr Thom?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 06:51:28 pm »
Diddy,

You're quickly heading for a time out. There's nothing new to telll you. The test you used is illegal in the UK. If you want reliable testing, you need to go to a GUM clinic.

However, it's unlikely that your test result is wrong. As I already told you, home tests are prone to false POSITIVES, not negatives, especially the ones you interpret yourself.

What you do is entirely up to you. We've given you the facts and now you have to decide.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about this.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline diddy

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:19 pm »
ok ann

last thing,why are they illegal,is it cos they think people should have counselling

Offline diddy

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 09:33:31 am »
hello was deep kissing agorl thr other night and she had a cold sore on her lip ,could this transmit HIV

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 09:39:45 am »
diddy,

No, kissing is not a risk for hiv infection no matter what sort of spin you can think of to put on it. However, if you don't already have herpes on your lips, you probably do now. "Cold sore" is a polite way of saying herpes.

I really wish people would keep their herpes to themselves.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline diddy

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 10:24:21 am »
she said her prevoius boyfriend had been a drug user ,injected heroin,we had intercourse but I used a condom,any risk there,also when she had her cold sore she was also kissing my nipple which had a whole in it from a piercing years ago
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:33:46 am by diddy »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 11:46:22 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline diddy

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 12:09:18 pm »
what ws that for

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 12:16:30 pm »
Because you did not heed Ann's warning that she gave you previously. "You're quickly heading for a time out. There's nothing new to telll you."

Offline diddy

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2008, 01:01:10 pm »
But I asked a new set of quesitons

"she said her prevoius boyfriend had been a drug user ,injected heroin,we had intercourse but I used a condom,any risk there,also when she had her cold sore she was also kissing my nipple which had a whole in it from a piercing years ago"

just wanted to know the HIV risk based on this

Offline diddy

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 05:09:14 am »
Ok went to GUM clinic to get test

The nurse took the bllod and then gave me a cotton wool swab to put on the wound,I though I saw some blood on the cotton wool maybe from the previous patient!

If this actuall happened could there blood have infected me ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 05:10:15 am »
Seek professional mental help.

Offline diddy

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 05:13:48 am »
but would the blood have dried from the previous patient...
say it had been put back on tray with blood on it from previous patient,
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:09:07 am by diddy »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 06:20:18 am »
Read the "Welcome" thread which you should have before ever posting on this forum. Then go read the transmission section.

Offline diddy

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 06:24:32 am »
Im really sorry :(

I did take your advise and get tested from a proper test at a clinic,I dont know why I keep getting these doubts but I do,my mind just wanders

See I saw te previous guy came out and what if he had put the cotton ball after he had used it back on the tray ,which I couldve done but took it with me.Im thinking maybe the nurse couldv epicked his ball up with his blood on it to cover the wound directly after the needle had been taken out and the previous patients blood then go into my wound

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 08:38:36 am »
Diddy,

Clinics employ standard procedures to ensure that one patient cannot contaminate another. I have no doubt those procedures were followed in your case.

You were not at risk, you do not have HIV.

Clearly your needs are beyond what we can provide. I have referred this thread to our Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline diddy

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 08:39:54 am »
what if there were blood on the cotton ball from the previous patient though

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 08:48:44 am »
Diddy,

Hiv is not transmitted via environmental surfaces, of which a cotton ball is one.

You are beyond the scope of this forum. I'm giiving you that time out I warned you about. Do not attempt to create a new account because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.