Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:44:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 335
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Florida Ryan White Eligibility Changes  (Read 32429 times)

Offline gregftl

• Standard
Florida Ryan White Eligibility Changes
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »
Anyone else on here living in Florida recently have their Ryan White eligiiblity for medical and dental services mysteriously changed in the past 2 weeks? Ryan White is supposed to be good for a full year.

I called over to the Pompano BCHD clinic to make a dental appointment and the receptionist told me that I couldnt make an appt b/c my Ryan White eligibility had run out April 8. Last time I did eligibility was Oct 8, 2009 and my notice of eligibility that they gave me when I did it last says my ryan white expires Oct 8, 2010. The dental woman said some officials from Tallahassee were there last week messing around with eligibility dates. I faxed her my copy of eligibility acceptance form that showed it expired oct 8 but the eligibility guy wasnt there at the time so she couldnt do anything to help me.

So I  have learned tonite that florida is now requiring people to renew ryan white every 6 months now instead of once a year like it has been for ages. This is the only state I know of that makes people renew BOTH ADAP and Ryan White every 6months. No wonder they are having such huge financial problems. Every 6 months is a huge waste of time and resources.

The dental woman said that they have had to turn away alot of appointments b/c people have been coming in for their scheduled appointment only to be told their ryan white expired months ago. Tons of people have been having to schedule eligibility appointments to renew their ryan white.

Just wondering if anyone else here in FL has experienced this

Greg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:19:04 pm by gregftl »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Florida Ryan White Eligibility Changes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:32:13 pm »

As I understand it, you have to go through eligibility every 6 months.  I don't use the dental, as I have dental through work.

I am looking at the Notice of eligibility right now. I was enrolled into Ryan white on 12/28/09, through the VA.

You have to qualify every 6 months, and complete the eligibilty form again.  I did the second one on 7/12/10. She informed me this would have to be done, on a 6 month basis.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:15 pm »
Just wanted to add,  ( and clarify) on my first Notice of eligibility, from 12/28/09 ( In about the center of the page) , it states

Re-determination date due no later than 6/28/10

After I was re-certified on 6/28/10  my next certification date is 1/12/11  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:40:48 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:20 pm »

Just to get it out there, in Pinellas county, Ryan White uses the Dolphin Dental Group for dentistry:

http://www.dolphindental.com/

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
Well that's not how it's been here in Broward County. It's always been u have to renew Ryan White (medical, dental) one time a year. This change to every 6 months apparently only came in late august. I'm not talking about ADAP for meds...........i know u have to do that every 6 months but Ryan White eligibility you do separate from ADAP..... and has always been good for one year since I moved to Florida back in 2001.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:30:35 pm by gregftl »

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »
Everyone down here in florida that gets your medical and dental thru ryan white and has upcoming appointments best call your clinic and make sure your ryan white expiration date wasnt changed. I go to the BCHD clinic up in Pompano and the receptionist told me that people are coming in with appointments only to find out their ryan white is no longer active b/c of the change of renewing from once a year to every 6 months. State officials are visiting every clinic and pushing back expiration dates. So for example if you went in say in January to renew ryan white and think u are good til next Jan u are wrong.  The state changed the dates retroactive so even before the change went into place people who already applied and thought they have a year they dont. So if u did it in January then it was changed to expire in July.

Best just to call your clinic and just ask them when you expire no matter when you renewed ryan white.....that way u dont waste time going to an appointment and cant be seen
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:08:30 pm by gregftl »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:12:41 pm »
No wonder they are having such huge financial problems. Every 6 months is a huge waste of time and resources
no lie! sorry to hear you're having such issues down there. I know there have to be some hoops to jump through but I can't see how this decreased approved time span helps handle the current client load, much less the 1500+ on the waiting list.

at least your state has the finances to pay the travel expenses of those state officials sending them around the state to throw all the clnics and patients into confusion. ::) LOL

It's not like the olden days when people were dying off so fast, you couldn't expect them to need assistance for more than a yr or two. You'd think it'd be to everyone's advantage to extend the approval period to 2 or 5 yrs (depending upon change of housing or finances of course) as these are life-long meds not something that are just taken for a short period of time.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 01:28:52 pm »
Yah and considering our state legislature is controlled by the republicans doesnt help b/c i'm sure all these state appointed hiv people are republicans too and not too compassionate about people. Seems like they are more interested in lining their own pockets with money and wasteful trips around the state than saving people's lives.

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »
n/m

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:45:32 pm »
Well tomorrow morning i get to spend alot time on the phone with my ryan white eligibility guy to find out why my ryan white expiration date was changed. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:44:08 pm by gregftl »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »
Well tomorrow morning i get to spend alot time on the phone with my ryan white eligibility guy to find out why my ryan white expiration date was changed. Wish me luck the guy has a HEAVY spanish accent and rarely understands what you say to him on the first try.....u have to repeat yourself to him 2-3 times. Should be fun!

Why they would hire someone that doesnt speak and understand fluent english is beyond me. Just another hoop to jump thru!

Wow, such an odyssey.  Good luck having to deal with those evil spics who make it so difficult for you.

And then you ask why you don't get many replies to this question (for which you have opened like 746 threads already).

Let us know how the ordeal ends.  I'll stop by and bring you the Ricky Ricardo badge of honour.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
Well tomorrow morning i get to spend alot time on the phone with my ryan white eligibility guy to find out why my ryan white expiration date was changed. Wish me luck the guy has a HEAVY spanish accent and rarely understands what you say to him on the first try.....u have to repeat yourself to him 2-3 times. Should be fun!

Why they would hire someone that doesnt speak and understand fluent english is beyond me. Just another hoop to jump thru!

Most likely it's your ignorance getting in the way, not his accent.

MtD

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13:27 pm »
ugh here come the trolls

and btw if u'd like i can give you his direct phone number and u guys can call him right now and listen to his voice mail at his office and see if you can understand a word of it!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:15:17 pm by gregftl »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:14:42 pm »
ugh here come the trolls

If calling you out for being a racist makes me a troll, then redirect my mail to my new home under the bridge.

MtD

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 10:15:54 pm »
so saying someone who works in a county position (and a very important position).... where he has to deal with people of all races that doesnt speak fluent english makes me a racist?? hmmm

didnt realize that saying someone cant speak the language u speak to the degree they understand you and you understand them makes a person racist. interesting. i'll note that.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:18:07 pm by gregftl »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 10:18:22 pm »
ugh here come the trolls

and btw if u'd like i can give you his direct phone number and u guys can call him right now and listen to his voice mail at his office and see if you can understand a word of it!

I'm sure that you wouldn't mind his accent if he showed up at that lovely pad that you share with Matt wearing tube socks.  Eh?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 10:18:34 pm »
so saying someone doesnt speak fluent english makes me a racist?? hmmm

Nope. Saying this:

. . . makes you a racist. And you've got form for it. There's a reason why more than one of your threads has ended up resembling a pamphlet produced by the Aryan Brotherhood.

MtD

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »
not sure rev moon how u know my partner's name.

2nd i have many latino friends and had a latin partner for 2yrs before my current partner of 14yrs. i have no problem with latinos. what i do have a problem with is a person in a position of power that is supposed to be in that position to help you but cant b/c they dont fully comprehend what you are telling them. there are plenty of haitian and latin women that work over at adap that speak fluent english and they are a pleasure to work with.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:25:38 pm by gregftl »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 10:31:32 pm »

Probably because he's plastered all over the internet. Nothing's private out there, you know.

2nd i have many latino friends and had a latin partner for 2yrs before my current partner of 14yrs. i have no problem with latinos. what i do have a problem with is a person in a position of power that is supposed to be in that position to help you but cant b/c they dont fully comprehend what you are telling them. there are plenty of haitian and latin women that work over at adap that speak fluent english and they are a pleasure to work with.

Really, that's the best you can do? The good old "some of my best friends are wetbacks!" defence? I suppose we can expect no better from you.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 10:32:23 pm »
When I was in college I was a software engineering student and the majority of my major specific courses were taught by Indian, Asian, or Latin American professors who were nearly impossible to understand.  I remember in specific a Cal 3 teacher who was Asian and at about 4 weeks in another student tapped me on the shoulder and asked "what did he just say?" to which I replied "I have absolutely no idea".  A week or two later I realized he was attempting to say parenthetical.  I don't have a racist bone in my body but the difficulty of trying to learn Calculus paired with trying to decipher someone's very thick accent should have made that class worth a lot more than 3 hours credit.

I can sympathize with having a major communications barrier with someone who you have no choice but to deal with.  It's not fun and it's not easy but unfortunately for you he's your only option right?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 10:33:39 pm »
When I was in college I was a software engineering student and the majority of my major specific courses were taught by Indian, Asian, or Latin American professors who were nearly impossible to understand.  I remember in specific a Cal 3 teacher who was Asian and at about 4 weeks in another student tapped me on the shoulder and asked "what did he just say?" to which I replied "I have absolutely no idea".  A week or two later I realized he was attempting to say parenthetical.  I don't have a racist bone in my body but the difficulty of trying to learn Calculus paired with trying to decipher someone's very thick accent should have made that class worth a lot more than 3 hours credit.

I can sympathize with having a major communications barrier with someone who you have no choice but to deal with.  It's not fun and it's not easy but unfortunately for you he's your only option right?

I was wondering when you'd turn up to defend the interests of the Good Ole Boys.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 10:35:03 pm »

Yes, Rev. Moon -- that's kinda creepy.  How do you know this?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 10:36:48 pm »
Yah Hellraiser I understand that. When I was in college my freshman year I had a calculus teacher that had a heavy heavy german accent. No one understood a word. Unfortunately being a green freshman I didnt know i could have just dropped the class and ended up getting an F. Took the same class next semester......different teacher.......got an A
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:39:06 pm by gregftl »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »
I was wondering when you'd turn up to defend the interests of the Good Ole Boys.

MtD

Not being able to communicate with someone, yet being forced to is an exercise in frustration.  I really can see Greg's point (in this post alone)and identify with it.  I'm just a little bit more moderate than some of the members of this forum and can see both sides of an issue.  I also attempt to be nonjudgmental but at the end of the day am only human.

Edit:  If worse comes to worse you could always just bring a pad and write everything down.  This is assuming he can't understand you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 10:45:30 pm »
I was in the examination room the other day, and my doc was, as usual, 45 minutes late seeing me. In the exam room next door, a woman was yelling loudly for "her oxy." A few minutes later, I heard boots walking down the hall. There was murmured conversation, the metallic clink of handcuffs, and the woman was taken out.

This is one of the reasons I have lost two doctors in the last three years. People just don't want to deal with Medicare anymore in the US. They don't get compensated enough, so they have to book four clients at the same time. They deal with seriously addled and often incomprehensible people a lot of the time, and police are sometimes involved.My last two docs went into research. Hope one of them finds something I can use.

It really can be a depressing situation, and it is made worse when you feel isolated and alien.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 10:48:32 pm »
I really can see Greg's point (in this post alone)and identify with it.  I'm just a little bit more moderate than some of the members of this forum and can see both sides of an issue.  I also attempt to be nonjudgmental but at the end of the day am only human.

Please.  These are the moments when you demonstrate that you're not as clever as I once thought.

But I am human also and I will forget this new faux pas of yours.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 10:49:02 pm »
wow! the dude has only posted 176 times so that approximation of his thread count is a pretty gross exaggeration.

but to the other point, if Greg spoke Spanish and didn't have someone at the agency that could communicate properly, we would think that was wrong wouldn't we? but since Greg speaks English (in America, no less) and he's complaining that communication with his case manager is very difficult, he's somehow a racist because the ADAP agency doesn't have someone that can communicate properly with him?

It sounds like the agency has either over-hired to serve those speaking minority languages and that they need more English speaking staff (perhaps a possibility being as Hispanics account for 34% of AIDS cases and 36% of HIV cases in neighboring Miami-Dade cty. http://www.careresource.org/stats.html Sorry, I couldn't find the exact stats on Broward cty) or else they should have assigned Greg the proper case worker that speaks his language in the first place.

but the difficulty of trying to learn Calculus paired with trying to decipher someone's very thick accent should have made that class worth a lot more than 3 hours credit.
i had to drop out of a computer/math course at UNCC (relational databases) after a month because I just couldn't understand the very nice Korean professor and didn't want to waste my time or credits (not to mention the money I was paying for my education). I tried it again the next semester with another prof. I could understand and had no problems.

today, I have a big gripe with not being able to understand a lot of tech support on the phone but at least those people are paid for by their companies. In Greg's case, tax dollars are paying for that case manager's salary, and Greg deserves to have a case manager he can communicate with in English as much as a Spanish-speaking person deserves proper communication too.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 10:52:13 pm »
Matt's twin bed is littered with Puerto Rican flag pillows.  What gives?

I'm still busy checking out the pillow with the cheetah on it in the second link.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 10:55:20 pm »
thanks for understanding leatherman

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 11:10:18 pm »
lordy! how do naked pix of Greg have anything to do with FL Ryan White changes or Greg having problems communicating with his case manager? Do you think trying to "embarrass" him by passing around links to naked pictures invalidates his issues or makes your case? I mean otherwise what was the point of those links? regardless, what a cheap, worthless shot!

Whether some people here think Greg is a racist or not (though I don't believe he is) really is secondary because whatever he is or not doesn't change the communication problem one bit. So rather than some stupid stunt, do any of you have an actual suggestion as to how Greg can communicate with this case worker any better, or should his meeting/phone call just take 3 times as long as they struggle through the communication problem?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:46:37 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:15 pm »
<delete cretinous prattle>
Do you think trying to "embarrass" him by passing around links to naked pictures invalids his issues or makes your case?

I love how you racist types condemn those with less than perfect English with less than perfect English.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 11:57:04 pm »
with less than perfect English with less than perfect English.
thanks for pointing that out.  :D Spell check is never very helpful when your misspelling is actually another word. LOL That's what comes from typing too fast I guess. Now my post properly reads "invalidates" instead of "invalids".

Thanks for being such a nitpicker ;)
though some might call you petty (especially enlarging the font like you did LOL), I'm sure you, as well educated as you claim to be, understood what I meant to have typed there.

still no solutions or helpful suggestions for Greg's underlying communications problem, eh?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 11:59:11 pm »
I love how you racist types condemn those with less than perfect English with less than perfect English.

MtD

Difficulty in communicating is simply that, difficulty in communicating.  It's not racist to say "I cannot understand what you are trying to convey".  There's also a big difference between "Less than perfect" English and unintelligible/broken english.  Since I don't know what the guy sounds like I can't really know how rough he is to interpret.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 12:03:26 am »
lordy! how do naked pix of Greg have anything to do with FL Ryan White changes or Greg having problems communicating with his case manager? Do you think trying to "embarrass" him by passing around links to naked pictures invalidates his issues or makes your case? I mean otherwise what was the point of those links? regardless, what a cheap, worthless shot!

Whether some people here think Greg is a racist or not (though I don't believe he is) really is secondary because whatever he is or not doesn't change the communication problem one bit. So rather than some stupid stunt, do any of you have an actual suggestion as to how Greg can communicate with this case worker any better, or should his meeting/phone call just take 3 times as long as they struggle through the communication problem?

thanks for pointing that out.  :D Spell check is never very helpful when your misspelling is actually another word. LOL That's what comes from typing too fast I guess. Now my post properly reads "invalidates" instead of "invalids".

Thanks for being such a nitpicker ;)
though some might call you petty (especially enlarging the font like you did LOL), I'm sure you, as well educated as you claim to be, understood what I meant to have typed there.

still no solutions or helpful suggestions for Greg's underlying communications problem, eh?

Blah, blah, blah.  Call it whatever you want.  Always acting like you're so high and mighty around here.  We all know quite well that you loved those pics.  

And you can blame spell check all you want.  I'm sure that "invalids" was your word of choice.  You probably "conversate" also, eh?

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:15 am »
Hellraiser, it's unintelligible. Plus what makes things even worse when I am speaking I either have to repeat myself 2-3 times or have to speak VERY slowly.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:46 am »
It's not racist to say "I cannot understand what you are trying to convey". 
now, now, Trey. :D You know Matty and Moon are never wrong since they are oh so perfect. When someone speaks (or types as Matty was just pointing out to me) and YOU can't understand then it makes you the racist.

Hey wait a minute! If Matty couldn't my understand my mis-communication of typing "invalids" instead of "invalidates", then it's must mean Matty is a racist! :D ;D

Always acting like you're so high and mighty around here.
hey what do you know?! I just basically wrote the same thing about you.  ROFLMAO
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 12:12:39 am »
Yah and considering our state legislature is controlled by the republicans doesnt help b/c i'm sure all these state appointed hiv people are republicans too and not too compassionate about people. Seems like they are more interested in lining their own pockets with money and wasteful trips around the state than saving people's lives.

Greg,

I lived in Broward County for 12 years and there are some incredible people serving the HIV community in that county. I take great offense at your caustic comments regarding people, you do not know, nor do you know the circumstances under which they must work. Many of those folks, are the ONLY REASON that benefits are provided, to the least fortunate, because they know how to get around the system. If you have a particular beef, with a given employee, then fine, however you cannot paint an entire group of public servants, as uncaring, when you know no such thing. In fact, you should be thankful that they do exist, because they obviously care much more about you, than you do about them. Granted, it may be their job, but many of them go far beyond what their job requires...

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 12:16:54 am »
Yawn

I'm entitled to my opinion and maybe my experience with these people is different than yours!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:20:23 am by gregftl »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:29 am »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:13 am »
I'm entitled to my opinion and maybe my experience with these people is different than yours!

You are entitled to an opinion about employees who you have contacted. Your comments however, were blanket comments slamming all HIV social workers in Broward County. Grow up and start showing some respect for people who are only there to try and help you.

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 12:21:31 am »
That comment was not a comment about the people in broward that comment was directed at the people on top in Tallahassee.

If you would have read my very first post thorougly you would have seen that when I commented the big wigs from Tallahassee were at my clinic poking around making changes without letting anyone know what they were doing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:23:43 am by gregftl »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:26 am »
can you explain how it's not a waste of money to change eligibility re-application from 1 yr to 6 months? Can you explain how it doesn't waste money to not inform the clients of this change and their past-due status? Can you explain how it doesn't waste money sending state reps from Tallahassee to Ft Lauderadale to effect this eligibility change rather than by email, phone or fax?

Greg's complaint was mainly directed toward the state-level of ADAP/Ryan White administration. His complaint against Broward county was about a communication issue.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:01 am »
That comment was not a comment about the people in broward that comment was directed at the people on top in Tallahassee.

If you would have read my very first post thorougly you would have seen that when I commented the big wigs from Tallahassee were at my clinic poking around making changes without letting anyone know what they were doing.

Oh I see, you didn't mean to slam Broward County, but rather the entire HIV administration of the state? Well my comments still stand. I know plenty of people in state government and without them, you would be screaming a lot louder than you are. Just who do you think, circumvents many of the stupid ideas coming out of the capital? I urge you to contact the HIV planning council in Fort Lauderdale and attend one of their meetings. Go watch regular people, like you and me, play god with the measly money the state provides. Watch these folks as they have to choose between horrible choices to reduce benefits, to keep as many people covered as possible. Then, after you have done that, I believe your views about most of these people will change considerably.

I can also tell you that some of the very people you disparage are poz as well. Please try and understand how hard their job can be. They are carrying out the dictates of the legislature and if you don't like it, then work to change it. Degrading an entire group of people, no matter what their function, is always unfair, to everyone.

edited to add: it is never a good idea to consider benefit administrators as the enemy. You can always work within a system and degrading people, who are only doing their job, is unfair, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:36:40 am by killfoile »

Offline David Evans

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 12:44:15 am »
I'm not going to referee this match. You guys are grown ups. Posting the links was out of line and unnecessary, however, and that posting has been removed.

David

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 12:51:59 am »
I stand by my statement. This state wastes tons of ryan white/adap funding and mishandles it. Sending state officials around the state to each county clinic to change ryan white expiration dates is a huge waste of money. And not even a notification of this change. U have to walk into an appointment only to find out your ryan white is no longer valid b/c the state made a change and are sent home. How's that not screwed up?? Then u have state officials travelling around the state......making a stupid change to the enrollment process ........probably staying at hotels........billing the state for their meals. Meanwhile 1700 people are sitting on waiting lists waiting for the lives to end. It's bad enough that we have to renew adap twice a year and now we have to renew ryan white twice. Unnecessary and a huge waste of resources and time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:54:31 am by gregftl »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 01:01:46 am »
I'm sorry you don't understand my distinction. I agree that Florida pisses away money administering HIV services and devising ways to screw as many people as possible, out of benefits. You can thank the Republicans in Tallahassee for doing that and they are the ones, who keep changing eligibility rules, wasting tax dollars, in an attempt to disenfranchise as many clients as possible. That being said, there remain good government employees, who are working the system, as best they can, to provide as many services as possible. My point remains, attack the source of your frustration, not the messenger. Just imagine how poor services would be, if these decent government employees didn't exist. You have every right to be pissed off about the state of HIV services in Florida, I just ask that you consider who truly deserves your anger. The ones making the rules, or the enforcers of those rules?

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:56 am »
Again, I agree. If you would have read my earlier posts that is exactly what I said that the republicans up in tallahassee are screwing things up. I made no beef with the local people other than the one caseworker that i'm having english/spanish communications problems with.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:09:39 am by gregftl »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:35 am »
Yes I have moved to Canada, but I lived in Florida for 12 years and eligibility has always gone from a year, to six months, at the whim of the capital. I know what it is like to spend almost 16 hours getting eligible for services. Being given a list of items to bring to your appointment, only to have the list change, at that appointment. I watched as an employee, scanned 6 months of my bank statements, including the blank pages and then I knew why appointments took 3 hours. I spent years battling the legislature and nothing you describe is any different than what they have been doing for 15 years. The waste at the Broward County pharmacies is legendary and down right criminal. Cleaning up that mess, would probably save enough to cover any waiting lists.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 01:24:53 am »
I don't think saying you're frustrated trying to speak with someone who doesn't speak English well about very important matters is racist at all.  Hell, I get upset when I try to call my credit card company or mortgage company and the person doesn't understand what I'm saying and I cannot understand them.  I do get frustrated that my call is sent to India where most times you get someone who doesn't speak English very well.  It takes forever to try and explain your issue and I often just end up having to hang up and call back to see if I can get someone who speaks English.  I've had representatives who didn't know what a pay-stub is, what Louisville is, or what I meant by asking for a credit on my account.   I've had doctors who I did not understand a word they said.  This does not make one racist.  I think we throw that word around too often--as well as being a woman hater as happened in other threads.  I would say the same thing if my call was routed to the UK with someone with a very thick English accent.  Or, if someone had a very thick southern accent or Boston accent to the point where you could not understand them.  My mortgage and mortgage company is based in the U.S.  I want someone who understands me when I call.  I took 5 years of Spanish, but I cannot speak it very well.  I wouldn't take a job as a Spanish speaking representative with my very limited fluency.  Nothing racist about it.        

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 01:41:22 am »
Killfoile, not sure what your talking about when it comes to them changing ryan white (medical, dental) from a year to 6months at a whim. I have been enrolled in ryan white and adap since 2001. Ryan white has always been good for 1yr since i lived here.

Yes there are huge wastes of money. I even wrote the head of the florida adap an email with some suggestions on how to save some money. I think her name is Lorraine Wells. I gave her the Illinois model. I used to live up in chicago and went to one clinic. It was like one stop shopping. It was called howard brown health center. When you went in to see the caseworker you applied for adap and ryan white at the same time......not at two different places like down here. And each were good for 1yr. Then when it came to your meds Illinois adap mails them to you. No pharmacies. I threw these suggestions at Lorraine and she emailed me back saying she was in communication with the head of the Illinois adap to implement some of their model down here. Not sure if she was being honest on that one. But that was back in early June. I have neither heard or seen any changes that resemble the illinois model if anything they are moving further away from it. So I have tried to help only to be ignored. And yes the waste in the pharmacies is huge. That's why i suggested the Illinois model where adap mails your meds to you cutting out the middle man (the pharmacies).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:45:55 am by gregftl »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.