Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:39:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 314
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Low CD4 and viral load  (Read 9443 times)

Offline HivToTell

Low CD4 and viral load
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:10:03 pm »
Hi all!

I was tested poz about 3 months ago; while I don't know when I was infected (could be something between 3 to 6 years).

I'm just thinking my lab results. My CD4’s are 319 (it was 219 a month  ago) and viral load is 2250. My ID said it is strange that my viral load is so low.

Has anyone else had the same? Low CD4 and low viral load?  I stared my med’s last week (Kivexa and Stocrin), so I'm thinking that should I get quick undetectable or is it any matter if you start with low viral load or not?

A man can tell a thousand lies
I've learned my lesson well
Hope I live to tell
The secret I have learned, 'till then
It will burn inside of me

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: Low CD4 and viral load
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 05:53:35 am »
personal opinion:

start haart

your cd4 level is low compared to the guidelines trend:
treat when cd4 goes under 500 (or etc.)

its a shame imho that it has take so long to come to this trend, as 2-3 years ago already (if not 5 or 10y), it was possible to come to this conclusion.

the lower is your vl when you start haart, the better might be your chance to achieve undetectable quickly and to remain on the same regimen longer, assuming your combo potent

again, those are personals pov

note
low vl low cd4 is common
you haven't mention your cd4%
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:48:10 am by John2038 »

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 07:21:58 am »
personal opinion:

start haart

John,

perhaps before advising him to start HAART you should have read his message more thoroughly:

I stared my med’s last week (Kivexa and Stocrin), so I'm thinking that should I get quick undetectable or is it any matter if you start with low viral load or not?

HivToTell:

the rate at which cd4's bounce back after initiating haart varies from person to person; also, if you are not satisfied with your ID doc's opinion, get a second one.

hope this helps.

Pat

edited to add: welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:24:57 am by frenchpat »
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:31:22 am »
Numbers vary person by person.  I have been floating between 100 and 1 400 for two years now.  You are not alone when it comes to flactuating figures.  Hope the medication will get everything under controll.  Goodluck
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline HivToTell

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 03:02:53 am »
My CD4% is 13,9, and that is not so good and that's the reason why I started Mead's a week ago. But what I was just thinking is my quit low VL (2250). I know that it may not have any meaning, but I just don't like numbers that don't fit in standard's  ???.

But anyways, I was just thinking that if somebody had the same, low CD4(%) and low VL (and that is before starting Mead's and being poz 3 to 6 years). Should that predict how my Mead's may work on me or should that just fall into category “we all are different”?  I don't know how my numbers have developed over the time because I found the HIV about 3 months ago. And I have to wait until the next friday to hear how my med's are doing  :)

-Pete-
Hope I live to tell

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 04:10:36 am »
Hi HivToTell

I have a comparable profile:

Infected 2 years ago. My CV have fluctuate between 600 and 3000, CD4% have bounce between 13% and 21% (latest lab 15.4%) and CD4 have been for 8 months this year between 700 and 850.

At my last lab, I got a big drop of my CD4 from 710 to 310.

Now I have made this lab after a 19h flight + transit trip + 6h train and with a gastro.

Whether or not this have significantly impact the drop of my CD4, it's possible.
But probably not my CD4%

I will start meds anyway in around 6 weeks, once the problem of my discordant genotypes will have been sorted out, if this is possible.

Now, I guess my situation is very comparable to yours, and as for you, I have try to estimate how well could  potentially the haart work  for me.

My conclusions are as follow (and they are just my guess)

Regarding the CD4:
As the drop I got is quite recent and HAART  will have been started soon after, there is still a good chance that meds will cause quite quickly a significant increase (excepting cases such as hidden mutations).

About the VL:
Many studies have mention the importance of the VL in terms of virological success, before starting a treatment:.
The lower, the better.

Others studies have also shows that the quickest you achieve undetectable, the longer you are likely to stay on the same combo.
Now does this apply to those becoming quickly undetectable because of starting meds with a low VL, I don't know, but for me, it make sens.

About the CD4%
It will probably raise, but how fast, no ideas.

My overall conclusion is that people with low cd4 around 350, low vl around 5k and low cd4% around 15% are not doing so bad:
Their body control the virus, and the price is probably by a significant losses in the lymphocytes.
(got high cd8)
But more importantly for me, is no symptoms during the primo and since.
These two points make me believe that onc eon meds, we will do well

pov

Offline bigrob37

• life is good
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »
i was tested in april of this year and my cd4 count was two and my viral load was 5.5 million and now my count is still low at 55 but my viral load is undectectable. my doctor said the first day I went in I was going to make it and now 7 months later I am kicking its ass I feel that the less you worry the better it gets EAT SALSA BURN THAT SHIT OUT OF YOU i eat it everyday it seems to be working in my head
take care Rob

Offline PozitivelySouthern

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 07:17:40 pm »
It sounds like you and I are pretty comparable. I was diagnosed 5 months ago and I had similar numbers (see below). I have been on meds for almost 2 months now and I will find out my new numbers next week. Let me know how you are doing and I will do the same.
05/28/08 Diagnosed
08/04/08 CD4 268 (24.4%) VL 3,310
09/08/08 CD4 316 (22.6%) VL 2,400
09/09/08 Started Atripla
10/31/08 CD4 389 (27.8%) VL Undetectable - Yay!
01/29/09 CD4 406 VL Undetectable
04/30/09 CD4 513 (27%) VL Undetectable.
10/27/09 CD4 560 (28%) VL Undetectable.
03/09/10 CD4 536 (33.5%) VL 96
12/02/10 CD4 514 (32.1%) VL Undetectable.
06/16/11 CD4 446 (29.7%) VL <20
11/11/11 CD4 608 (30.4%) VL 170

Offline HivToTell

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 11:39:04 am »
Got my first results after starting meds (a month ago).
CD4 from 319 to 343
CD4% from 13,9% to 15,8%
VL from 2627 to 61

I'm quite happy with the results, but of course there is still long way to go.

Hope I live to tell

Offline popqueer

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 03:07:25 pm »
Hi there,
I've been poz for a year now and my last VL was 4000 and CD4 count was 344. The previous test showed a VL of 16000 and a CD4 count of 346. The doctor chuckled at how low that Viral load was but because the CD4 count was just slightly below the recommended mark for starting HAART, they started me on it. I'll be getting those results in about 10 days.

Offline HivToTell

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:04:50 pm »
Quick update, new numbers.
CD4 from 343 to 440
CD4% from 15,8% to 20,3%
VL from 61 to Undetectable.

Hope I live to tell

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »
Congrats!  Everything's moving in the right direction, that's for sure.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.