Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:49:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Confused.....and Scared......  (Read 5998 times)

Offline kellogg2010

Confused.....and Scared......
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:29 am »
Hi,
I am really confused, so hopefully Ann and all of you can help me.

On August 26th, I had unprotected sex with a female friend of mine.  Five days later I was at my doctors because of a strange burning sensation and a itchy sensative penis.  He thought I had "the clap", recommended that I get tested and prescribed antibiotics. Two weeks later the burning sensation was gone, but the itchy sensative penis stayed.  6 weeks after sex, around October 7th, my groin and armpit lymph nodes started to swell up, and stayed that way until around November 10th. (4 Weeks).

At the 8 week time frame, I was defly scared and finally went back to my doctor to get tested for HIV. He said that he felt my chances were .0000001 of having HIV, since I would have caught a cold and had a rash on my face and neck. With that I tested Negitive at 8 weeks. I also did a Full STD Panel which came back good, only positive for HSV-1, oral.

Fast foward to November 23rd, I woke up with a rash on my chest, some brown spots on my left hand and a purplish spot on my right hand. the rash is very hot to the touch and has stayed that way until today over two months (January 29th).  I rushed back to my doctors on December 5th at almost 14 weeks, and got retested for HIV, which came out Negitive. Since then I have developed Tinnitus, have strange muscle spasms, twicthes, my arms feel like they are on fire and my facial hair is not growing as it used to, used to shave my face 3-4 times a week, Now only once a week.  Also, my fingernails are not growing as fast as they used too.

I went back to my doctors last Monday, for my physical and he said there was NO WAY that I can have HIV. He says he will not test me any longer. I am upset, because I have read that I should get tested again at 6 months, but from what Ann and everyone else says here that my first two tests (all blood tests) should have shown the virus. I have never had a rash, swollen lymph nodes or other health problems in my life (41 years old), so I am even more confused and scared.  Any advice would be great....... 

Offline RapidRod

Re: Confused.....and Scared......
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:01 am »
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:44:39 am »
You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. Period. End of that story.

Whatever is causing your recurring symptoms has nothing to do with HIV. If the symptoms persist you need to check them out further with your doctor(s). HIV is not the cause.

And you can in the future avoid any concern about sexual risk for HIV by always without exception using condoms everytime you have vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions.

HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:29 am »
Kellogg,

Just because you "never" had health problems before doesn't mean you can't have them now. You're getting older and well, shit happens. Just count your blessings that the first 41 years of your life were illness-free.

Keep working with your doctor to find out what's going on. Whatever that may be, it is NOT hiv. You are conclusively hiv negative.

You need to learn from this and stop having unprotected intercourse. Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:21 am »
HI Guys,
Thanks for the quick responses, so you do not think I need another HIV test at the 6 month time frame?  Since the rash is two months old and has not gone away makes me even more afraid. Does the rash I described sound like the HIV rash? What are the possiblilities at the 3 month test I still did not have the amount of antibodies in my blood to be detected?

Ann, I have not had unprotected sex in years, since I have always been in relationships, and your advice on condom use is very good. As, being 41 I just "learned" the correct way to put a condem on!

Thanks for all your advice, this is a great forum, and I spent 7 hours last night reading all your posts, It makes me feel great that this type of support is out there!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:07:00 am »
No, you do not need any further HIV tests.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:27:25 am »
You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. Period. End of that story.

Whatever is causing your recurring symptoms has nothing to do with HIV. If the symptoms persist you need to check them out further with your doctor(s). HIV is not the cause.

And you can in the future avoid any concern about sexual risk for HIV by always without exception using condoms everytime you have vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions.

Are you actually reading what we're saying to you? Doesn't seem that way when you come back and ask again if you need to test. Cut it out and get on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:54 am »
Hi Andy,
Yes, I have read your replies, and greatly appreicate them.  As, I am finding out, there is alot of old information on the internet.
As, Rapid said "They haven't used the 6 month testing guidelines since 2004. Whomever told you to test out to 6 months needs to go back to school. "

There is still ALOT of information out there that says 3 months is inconclusive and the 6 month test is the real final test. 

Thank you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:53 am »

Does the rash I described sound like the HIV rash?

No, it does not. And why would it when you do not have hiv and you do not need further testing?

Give it up and get on with your life. If you continue to feel unwell and/or if the rash persists, work with your doctor to find the cause. Whatever that may be, it is NOT hiv. You have conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 11:01:29 am »
Thanks Ann.

Because until I found this forum, almost EVERY website about HIV said to retest at the 6 month time frame.  I will be seeing a dermatologist this week about the rash.

Thanks again, as I feel better now, I great appreciate being able to get more information from all of you!

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:18:06 am »

Okay, so now I am really confused. After talking with everyone last week, my girlfriend and I decided that we did not need to use condoms any longer. Then On Wednesday, she had a purple lesion on her inside right thigh.  I tested negitive for herpes at the same time as my HIV test, what does this mean?

Has anyone ever heard of someone testing positive after the 3 month window?  Nervous allover again!!  I am 2 weeks shy of my 6 month possible infectoin date.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 09:20:44 am »
Kellogg,

Your girlfriend should see a doctor about her leg if she's concerned. It's nothing to do with hiv.

You do NOT have hiv and do not need further testing over the incident you're worried about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:01 am »

Thanks Ann, she is going to her doctor on Wednesday, really nervous, as we have tried to do the right thing, she has been great, but is concerned.  I think for my own piece of mind will get tested one more time.

I read your blog this morning, and must say you are a quite amazing woman, reading everyones blogs and posts, makes me realize how a person living with HIV must overcome so much adversity.  Take care and Thank you for your reply.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:08:14 am »
Before you and your gf dispense with using condoms, you need to agree that you are in a securely monogamous relationship and you have to have reliably tested negative at the same time.
Andy Velez

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 01:55:58 pm »
Just found out that my first 2 tests were done using the HIV RNA PCR method, at 8 weeks and 15 weeks, should I retest using the Elisa Test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »
Just found out that my first 2 tests were done using the HIV RNA PCR method, at 8 weeks and 15 weeks, should I retest using the Elisa Test?
You allready know that a PCR-RNA test is not a stand alone test. Yes you need to follow up with an antibody test.

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:24:02 am »
So, I went yesterday and retested with the Elisa test, the lady at the IDC did not understand why my PCP used the RNA test, of course she could not say anything, but I just know it is not going to be good, bye this time next week, will be posting in the "just tested poz" forum.  I cannot believe this is happening, since I tried to do the right thing getting tested last fall, I pray that I have not infected my girlfriend. Have not been able to think or sleep this week.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:32 pm »

Lay off of the drama, please. You have already tested negative. You don't have HIV. Really. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 04:51:28 am »
Kellogg,

It's the DNA PCR test that isn't approved for hiv diagnostic purposes. The RNA PCR test is approved - but as it is an expensive test that takes up to two weeks to return a result, it is normally only used in certain circumstances (not your circumstances).

The reason DNA tests aren't approved is because they have a high rate of false positive results - the RNA can also have false positive results, but fewer than the DNA tests.

If you were positive, at least one of those RNA results would have been really high. But they were both negative. While any PCR test results must be confirmed with antibody testing (and WB testing if the results are positive), you can rest assured of a negative antibody test result.

So no, you're not going to be posting in I Just Tested Poz next week.

By the way, the most probable reason the doctor "didn't say anything" is because doctors don't like to criticise their colleagues in front of patients. It's considered unethical and unprofessional to do so. She was probably thinking "that doctor ripped you off with not one, but TWO unnecessary, expensive test that must be confirmed with inexpensive antibody testing anyway." But she's not going to say that aloud.

Ann
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:53:02 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kellogg2010

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:27 am »
Andy, not trying to be full of drama, just confused from the test results and not knowing the difference between the two tests until after my doctor ordered them.

Ann, Thank you for the explaination, it really means alot and I am sorry if I sounded melodramatic, but testing is very scary in itself, and to do it again when I thought we were doing the Elisa test in the first place, just still did not give me peace of mind. I will let you know this week when I get my latest test back. Thanks again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.