Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:39:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 315
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Your first introduction to Canadian culture will be....  (Read 8184 times)

Offline CalvinC

Your first introduction to Canadian culture will be....
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:50:40 am »
...likely monetary. So, keep this in mind!

A "looney" (or "loonie") is one dollar, a "twoonie" is two dollars. Both are coins.

Why are they called what they are called? Being Canada, we love to have nature on our money. The dollar coin has a loon on it...et voila! Loonie!! There is a bit of history, though: the original design was lost en route to the mint, and that, in addition to the initial resistance to dollar coins, made this all seen to be perceived as a "crazy affair." Crazy also = loonie. Get it?

Twoonie? Rhymes with loonie. Great Canadian imagination eh?

Mitigating factor: in French, a loonie is not called "un loonie"; it is (I think) called une piece. Practical. Thus a penny is un sou, a nickel is cinq sous, and so on.

Welcome to Canada eh?

andrew

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Your first introduction to Canadian culture will be....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:57:40 am »
note to self. Use debit card for everything.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 10:39:59 am »
Jonathan I'm with you...Visa Card for everything.  But the idea of having a loonie and a twoonie
in my pocket is intriquing..Hmm!  But I will change out money for taxi's and the like (who don't accept
cards)...

So can we expect Culture Shock, Andrew?   :P  Ya!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 10:42:26 am »
Grin
Hey guys
I happened to be reading the website yesterday and clicked on forums on a whim and read about the gathering.  I'd like to come, but i realize it's a bit last minute.  Whom should I contact?  There are rooms at the hotel so that's no prob.  I'd just like to let someone know I'd like to attend.
Ernie

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:45:49 am »
Ernie

Greetings from Montreal.  I arrived VERY early this morning.

All the information you are seeking can be found in the very first thread on this forum, Titled AMG 06--Montreal Quebec

Our hotel is the Hotel Gouverneur, Place Dupuis.

WWW.gouverneur.com

It might be last minute, but it's never too late.  I hope you decide to join us.

RAB

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 10:46:09 am »
Hi Ernie,

I'm about leave in 30 minutes...but I'm sure someone else here will guide you.

Hope to see you in Montreal... ;)

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 10:47:00 am »
Hello Rocky,

You are in Montreal sneaky Rocky.  ;D

See ya soon then....

The Canuck

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 10:50:48 am »
Ernie,

Some people were about to cancel their rooms because they will share rooms...so if it's not too late you might get one of those as it'll be cheaper than their regular prices.

I think there were two available...

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 10:55:31 am »
Ernie...You know what they say...Better late than never.
See you there....... :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 11:01:37 am »
Thanks guys
I got me a private room - I prefer that.  I'll be arriving 2PM ish on Thursday.  I'll be looking for someone in the lobby.  Looking forward to meeting you guys and gals - it'll be fun and different I'm sure.  A bientôt!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 11:03:48 am »
Loony Toons....that's a good description of me lately, as well as the Canadian money!

I'm with you Jonathan, DEBIT CARD.   I'll let Regions Bank figure out how much a loonie and a twoonie is in American $$.

See you all Thursday evening!

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 11:04:18 am »
Hi Ernie,

You would had been alone in these rooms by the way...they were empty. Anyway looking forward to meet you..I'll add your name to the list for the '' Meet & Greet '',etc...

À bientôt Ernie...

The Canuck

Offline greatcyber

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:40:06 pm »
Hey Guys,
Debit cards are fine to use, but there is an international service charge for using an atm out of the usa.

I still have some paper money from last trip, as well as coins.  I think it's kind of neat to have a $2 coin.  See you tomorrow!
Perform a Random Act of Kindness Today...

...You Just May Be In Need of One Tomorrow!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.