Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:57:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 175
Total: 175

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Quit Smoking Thread  (Read 83235 times)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
The Quit Smoking Thread
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »
Okay... so, I really want to quit smoking...

I quit about 15 years ago when I first moved to Florida and stayed quit for 4 years - I picked it back up again when I started a new job (my colleagues smoked, so I eventually went back to it).

I hate the smell... I hate the ashes.... I hate the health impact... I hate the cost (spending about $2,800 a year on cigarettes)

So, I have set December 21st as the date (day after I start my holiday break from work).... I figure that even if I reduce by 1/2 the amount I smoke starting on the 21st, I can be completely quit by January 1st.

Anyone want to join me and use this thread to provide each other with support through the process?

I think it would be a way to share our ups/downs and success in quitting as well as to provide encouragement if anyone gets a craving to return to smoking or slips up.

Come on smokers - we can do this...

I just want to celebrate..... sing it with me.....
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: The Quit Smoking Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »
I will join you Phil . This thread is a great idea .

I'm going to do it cold turkey like I have done in the past . I had quit for 9 months last time and started back up in July after seeing pics on FB of myself in New Orleans looking like a fat ass Godzilla who ate Tokyo . I didn't eat more than usual but because of my age I blimped out and got fat when I quit last time . I would rather be a fat guy with $2800 in my pocket anyway so WTF .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:56:33 pm »
I will join you Phil . This thread is a great idea .

I'm going to do it cold turkey like I have done in the past . I had quit for 9 months last time and started back up in July after seeing pics on FB of myself in New Orleans looking like a fat ass Godzilla who ate Tokyo . I didn't eat more than usual but because of my age I blimped out and got fat when I quit last time . I would rather be a fat guy with $2800 in my pocket anyway so WTF .

Thanks Jeff -
I know we can do this -
And BTW, Godzilla is cute in a monster-ish kind of way - and I guarantee you he would put any of the large penis' on the state or country maps to shame   ;)
I think I'm going to go for the extra large godzilla look - if nothing else, I can get work in a B-movie (Godzilla takes on...)
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:01:00 pm »
I'll join you guys, however I already have a head start.  Yesterday, I got an electronic cigarette, which is basically a tube, housing an adjustable battery, oil cartridge and small electronic atomizer to disperse the oil.  The oil comes in many flavors and it's essentially nicotine suspended in an oil.  The unit only produces vapor and the battery has increments of power, so you can adjust how strong the taste and nicotine delivery it produces.

A large bottle of oil equates to 200 cigarettes and costs $17 vs $60+ for a carton of smokes.  The nice thing about the adjustable battery is you can dial it up, when you first start and then keep dialing it down, until, hopefully, you throw the thing away.

Joe

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:05:17 pm »
I'll join you guys, however I already have a head start.  Yesterday, I got an electronic cigarette, which is basically a tube, housing an adjustable battery, oil cartridge and small electronic atomizer to disperse the oil.  The oil comes in many flavors and it's essentially nicotine suspended in an oil.  The unit only produces vapor and the battery has increments of power, so you can adjust how strong the taste and nicotine delivery it produces.

A large bottle of oil equates to 200 cigarettes and costs $17 vs $60+ for a carton of smokes.  The nice thing about the adjustable battery is you can dial it up, when you first start and then keep dialing it down, until, hopefully, you throw the thing away.

Joe

They sell those at the store near my house - I think it is called "Blu"
The worse thing is they are making rules that you can't even smoke those in some of the places down here....
My boss had been using one, but she hasn't pulled it out in a while...

I may pick up one of those this Friday and give it a try until the 20th...

I am also going to take a large cup and label it my "quit smoking cup" - each day I will put $6.25 in it (the cost of a pack of cigarettes)... That is what I did last time I quit... It was quite a motivator to see that in 30 days I had saved a good amount of money (that was when cigs were $3 something a pack) - So, I will have about $200 saved in 30 days going (which will be great to see piling up in the cup)....
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:27:37 pm »
I plan on using my savings to buy more antiques for my house or to sell . I don't know if its the economy or what but I have been making out like a bandit at the resale thing lately and the extra bucks will come in handy .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:36:38 pm »
I plan on using my savings to buy more antiques for my house or to sell . I don't know if its the economy or what but I have been making out like a bandit at the resale thing lately and the extra bucks will come in handy .

Do you like Courier and Ives dishes?
My brother has a bunch at his home - the Christmas/Winter scene ones - saucers, tea cups, bowls, plates....
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
Good luck guys!

As a previous smoker I can say it is well worth it to quit! After 2-3 packs A DAY I quit smoking 2 years ago.

I feel amazing physically and I spend the extra $300 month I now have down at the bus station on twink hustlers ;)

YOU CAN DO IT!

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »
Do you like Courier and Ives dishes?
My brother has a bunch at his home - the Christmas/Winter scene ones - saucers, tea cups, bowls, plates....

I have mostly been buying chandlers and other vintage lighting and furniture and art glass . I have not ventured in to china and things like that because I know little about it .

I like buying antique furniture because what I buy is an investment and also fits the scale of my smallish house . I bought a globe barrister bookcase the other day that I got a great deal on , plus I love it .

I plan on quitting smoking and not going on vacation this year so I can finish doing what I want here at home , its been 5 years since I bought my home and I keep blowing my budget on fun things so stopping smoking is a good way to tackle my home wish list .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:23:53 pm »
Well guys -- I wish you all the best of luck.  I quit 20 yrs ago and it was the best thing that I ever did for myself, albeit the hardest thing too.

When you feel like you have to light up -- just wait until you come on here and vent out why.  It is amazing how the feeling will pass if you can simply change your focus for a few minutes.

Oh yeah -- I'm sure the mods will show a little leniency for the inevitable bitchiness that will spill out at times.  ;)

I'm cheering for all of you......

Hugs,
Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »
Good luck guys!

As a previous smoker I can say it is well worth it to quit! After 2-3 packs A DAY I quit smoking 2 years ago.

I feel amazing physically and I spend the extra $300 month I now have down at the bus station on twink hustlers ;)

YOU CAN DO IT!

2-3 packs per day?  You had to be smoking one after the other.  That's awesome you were able to quit.  I was up to a pack a day.  Actually, today is the 5 year anniversary that I quit.  It was 5 years ago today I ended up in the hospital.  After I got out, I think I tried smoking twice, but I got so out of breath.  I also had this psychological fear that smoking would bring pneumonia back on.

For the first year, I had daily cravings.  I wanted to start smoking again so bad.  After that, I lost the daily cravings.  I will still get a craving, when I smell someone smoking on a nice, sunny day.  I would love to be able to smoke one now and then, but I know that's not possible.  I was often a closeted smoker and would tell some I didn't smoke.  But, now I know they knew that was a lie.  I can smell smoke on friends and family, even if it has been hours since they last smoked.  The first time I had sex with my partner, he said he could tell I smoked.  He could taste it on my penis.  I'm not sure if it comes out the skin or whether it was due to my smoky fingers transferring the smell. 

So, I wish all you guys trying to quit success. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 11:27:51 pm »
I will only quit smoking when Catherine Deneuve quits, and she is 70 years old and still puffing. I fully plan to die of lung disease, skinny without diabetes, happy as a clam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMs6FEso2gc

VIVE LA FRANCE!

I also fly only on private planes like Johnny Depp so that I may chain smoke, and he's fully two years my senior. I also indulge in frequent tobacco enemas.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:31:32 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 11:32:06 pm »
2-3 packs per day?  You had to be smoking one after the other.  That's awesome you were able to quit.  I was up to a pack a day.  Actually, today is the 5 year anniversary that I quit.  It was 5 years ago today I ended up in the hospital.  After I got out, I think I tried smoking twice, but I got so out of breath.  I also had this psychological fear that smoking would bring pneumonia back on.

For the first year, I had daily cravings.  I wanted to start smoking again so bad.  After that, I lost the daily cravings.  I will still get a craving, when I smell someone smoking on a nice, sunny day.  I would love to be able to smoke one now and then, but I know that's not possible.  I was often a closeted smoker and would tell some I didn't smoke.  But, now I know they knew that was a lie.  I can smell smoke on friends and family, even if it has been hours since they last smoked.  The first time I had sex with my partner, he said he could tell I smoked.  He could taste it on my penis.  I'm not sure if it comes out the skin or whether it was due to my smoky fingers transferring the smell. 

So, I wish all you guys trying to quit success.

Ted, you never hold back do you? Always laying it out there  :)

Good luck smokers!!

PS. I quite smoking years back and used Chantix, total mind fuck (puts Atripla to shame)but it worked!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 12:22:56 am »
 8)

Good luck to all of you that decide to quit smoking. Honestly, it is a filthy, disgusting habit, and once you successfully quit, you WILL realize how disgusting/filthy it was.

Years ago when I quit, I also gave up coffee at the same time. ( nothing goes better with  a cup of coffee than a cig).    In the workplace, I quit taking breaks with the smoking employees, until I felt comfortable, that being around them, wasn't going to make me light one up. They understood ! I walked around the property, when I took breaks.

I was about a pack to a pack and a half a day smoker. And cigs were much cheaper way back then.

Take all those ashtrays in the house and wash them in soap and water, and then bag them, and put them someplace, way out of the way.

You can do this !  8)

Ray 
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:36 am »

This should give you guys some incentive,...

Within ...

•  20 minutes
   Your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal.

•  8 hours
   Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream has fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.75% reduction.

•  12 hours
   Your blood oxygen level has increased to normal. Carbon monoxide levels have dropped to normal.

•  24 hours
   Anxieties have peaked in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

•  48 hours
   Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability will have peaked.

•  72 hours
   Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day have peaked for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and your lung's functional abilities are starting to increase.

•  5 - 8 days
   The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.

•  10 days
   10 days - The "average" ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.

•  10 days to 2 weeks
   Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in your gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

•  2 to 4 weeks
   Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.

•  21 days
   Brain acetylcholine receptor counts that were up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.

•  2 weeks to 3 months
   Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.

•  3 weeks to 3 months
   Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared. If not, get seen by a doctor, and sooner if at all concerned, as a chronic cough can be a sign of lung cancer.

•  8 weeks
   Insulin resistance in smokers has normalized despite average weight gain of 2.7 kg (1997 study).

•  1 to 9 months
   Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath has decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs, thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.

•  1 year
   Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

•  5 years
   Your risk of a subarachnoid haemorrhage has declined to 59% of your risk while still smoking (2012 study). If a female ex-smoker, your risk of developing diabetes is now that of a non-smoker (2001 study).

•  5 to 15 years
   Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.

•  10 years
   Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day).  Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and pancreas have declined. Risk of developing diabetes for both men and women is now similar to that of a never-smoker (2001 study).

•  13 years
   The average smoker who is able to live to age 75 has 5.8 fewer teeth than a non-smoker (1998 study). But by year 13 after quitting, your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).

•  15 years
   Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked. Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study - but note 2nd pancreatic study making identical finding at 20 years).

•  20 years
   Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study). Risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study).

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 03:17:56 am »
Those stats are interesting to read, Ray.  My best friend quit smoking about 4 or 5 years ago.  She has PAD, and one day when she lit up, one of her feet turned black.  :o

I would like to quit but hate to when under stress.  Of course, there is the e-cig, I've used this before and was able to quit for 9 months.  I also have patches, and was able to quit on these for up to a year. 

I can set a quit date, but not until the first of the year.  Like Jan 1.  So, everyone else is quitting before the new year?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 07:42:35 am »

Oh yeah -- I'm sure the mods will show a little leniency for the inevitable bitchiness that will spill out at times.  ;)

HA! Don't bet on it when the mods are also trying to quit. ;D

I started smoking roll-your-own nearly a year ago and it's helped me cut down quite a bit. I've gone from spending just over £60 ($100ish) a week to £18 ($30ish) (when including papers and filter-tips; 50g of tobacco costs me £16 - $26ish). It's currently taking me about eight or nine days to get through 50g and I'm seriously considering going cold turkey when I can make 50g last a whole two weeks.

Knowing some of you are currently trying might give me some incentive. Then again, maybe not. :o

I tried Champix a few years ago and it made me nutz (moreso than usual). One of the reasons I chose to avoid Sustiva at all costs. Well, nearly all costs. I'd use it if there were absolutely no alternative.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 01:36:22 am »
You all can do it!! 

I smoked 17 years--stopped at 2+ packs/day. Cold turkey. Gained weight then lost the weight. Now in my 27th year nicotine-free. The savings, decent breath, improved breathing and no daily hacking cough were all worth it. My head can still turn with the right whiff of a newly lit cig, but mostly they stink. Thankfully. I can smell smoke in cars ahead of me in traffic and in crowded bars (from a car). So I think my brain is just sensitized to the smell or I'm morphing into a sniffer dog.

Rooting for all of you!!!!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 07:51:04 am »
Hey guys,

Em brings up a very important point -- weight gain is very likely to happen.  Try not to worry about while you are in the process of breaking your addiction.  I've seen too many people resume smoking because they gained 10-20 lbs.  Let the weight come -- you can lose it after you are comfortably smoke-free.
when I quit, I put on a little over 50lbs -- my doctor, at the time, told me that I'd need to gain over 100 lbs to have the same deleterious effects to my health that smoking a pack+/day had.

Of course, 6 months later he started nagging me about my weight...   ;)

Don't let yourself lose sight of the goal - your mind is going to do all it can to get you to pick those cigs back up.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 01:39:03 pm »

I'm all in for Jan. 1rst!  All 3 of my daughters have been getting on my case about smoking, especially the 6 year old.  She told the lady at the gas station the other day, "My daddy does drugs and you're selling them to him!".
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 01:44:14 pm »
I'm all in for Jan 1st but I still have to decide on a year . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 03:35:34 pm »
I am pleased to report that I was able to go out drinking, with just my e-cig and I was fine.  I find that I "hit" the e-cig more than a regular cigarette, but overall I am still "smoking" a lot less than with the real ones.  I'm finding the e-cig is also helping me to break the habit of mindless smoking, while doing other things, because you have to pay attention to using the e-cig, rather than just lighting another one.

Joe

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »
I am pleased to report that I was able to go out drinking, with just my e-cig and I was fine.  I find that I "hit" the e-cig more than a regular cigarette, but overall I am still "smoking" a lot less than with the real ones.  I'm finding the e-cig is also helping me to break the habit of mindless smoking, while doing other things, because you have to pay attention to using the e-cig, rather than just lighting another one.

Joe

I'm still on for quitting by Jan. 1st

Glad to hear it is going so well Joe

That is what I worry about - going out drinking - because I likes my cigs when I have my beers.
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 05:36:46 pm »
Keep up the good work everyone, er umm..you too Jeff.

The most rewarding part of quitting smoking for me was the breathing..my breathing cleared up, the sinus infections are gone, I dont hack up that phlegm, and I can now walk and jog 3 times as far as I previously could. This is what you can look forward too as well  ;)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 05:46:53 pm »
That is what I worry about - going out drinking - because I likes my cigs when I have my beers.

Hmmmmm....??  What to do???   ;)

Perhaps pass on the beers for the first week or two (or three).  The mind will do all it can to get you back to smoking, so make it tougher in the beginning by avoiding triggers.  You can't do it forever, but the tough part of quitting is not the physical, it's the mental and the "habit" part.

Good luck!!

Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 06:04:44 pm »

I quit when I was in Boston.  Something about paying $9 and change a pack makes it a lot easier.   During that whole year I thought about smoking a cigarette.  I even had dreams about it.

I can't wait.....

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 12:12:35 am »
Keep up the good work everyone, er umm..you too Jeff.

The most rewarding part of quitting smoking for me was the breathing..my breathing cleared up, the sinus infections are gone, I dont hack up that phlegm, and I can now walk and jog 3 times as far as I previously could. This is what you can look forward too as well  ;)

The phlegm disappearing was the most immediate.  I didn't have a smoker's cough, but I would get that phlegm cough that would come out in the most inopportune time.  Smell was the big thing, too.  Smell was huge.  I could smell different spices in food that I couldn't before.  When our dog was in her last months, she was leaking in her sleep.  I didn't realize how bad the carpet smelled, until I quit smoking.  Although, that was probably a good thing.  But, I didn't realize visitors were smelling that so intensely. 

Offline bocker3

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 07:55:40 am »

I quit when I was in Boston.  Something about paying $9 and change a pack makes it a lot easier.   During that whole year I thought about smoking a cigarette.  I even had dreams about it.

I can't wait.....

I quit smoking in 1993 and I STILL have fairly regular smoking dreams -- and it's not tied to my Atripla!!

M

Offline Jr

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 03:05:31 pm »
I plan on quitting on the 1st of the new year, so count me in on this challenge.   :)

Offline Growler

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 08:33:55 am »
Hi
just wanted to throw my hat into the quit ring....in fact I stopped smoking 12 days ago and now I'm over the initial cravings things are going well.

Other good news unrelated...over the last 4 weeks my cognition has improved and although I sometimes have problems or am a bit slow I am no longer in state of constant distress. I am more settled and can concentrate and understand things better.

That's about it.
Merry Christmas
GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 08:36:26 am »
Hi
just wanted to throw my hat into the quit ring....in fact I stopped smoking 12 days ago and now I'm over the initial cravings things are going well.

Other good news unrelated...over the last 4 weeks my cognition has improved and although I sometimes have problems or am a bit slow I am no longer in state of constant distress. I am more settled and can concentrate and understand things better.

That's about it.
Merry Christmas
GROWLER

This is great news , welcome back ! .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 12:30:59 pm »
Hi

That's about it.
Merry Christmas

I wrecked the quote action here.

Such a great post to read Growler!!!

Offline britchick

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »
Growler,

Thats great news  :D
Have a great Christmas!

britchickxx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 05:32:28 pm »
That's great Growler!  Merry Christmas!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 01:41:26 am »
Someone threw a cig out the car window tonight and I was like, "What's that?"  Ok, I knew what it was, but it had been a very long time since I saw that-- even here in KY.  You don't see as many smoking.  Or, those who do smoke don't smoke in their cars or homes.  I think car leasing also has an effect on that.  Some leases can charge you, if your car smells or has burns, when you turn it back in.

Many are now smoking the flavored cigars-- blunts or whatever the kids are calling them.  Many men also prefer to dip here and many other Midwest and southern states.  I think I see more men buying dip (smokeless tobacco for those who don't know that term) than I see buying cigs.  And, definitely more buying the flavored cigars. 

For those of you in other countries-- Is dip (smokeless tobacco) something you never see and something mostly here in the states?  I know Snus was invented and is popular in Switzerland?? 

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 06:01:30 am »
I have been smoking for 17 years now and switched to the vapor cigarettes in October after losing my grandmother to cancer.  It has been a great switch.  There are times where I do miss the "real" thing, but know it has to be a healthier option without inhaling all of the added chemicals in cigarettes.  I have noticed since I've made the switch I actually am using the vapor cigarettes less too.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 07:37:24 am »
I'll always remember a dear friend's comment; "we all quit eventually".  :)  I started in my 20's and regret it daily. 

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 10:08:04 am »
Hi

That's about it.
Merry Christmas
GROWLER

Welcome back Growler! Merry Christmas to you and Sebastian the Bear ;) Glad you are doing well, We miss you.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 12:03:00 am »
Someone threw a cig out the car window tonight and I was like, "What's that?"  Ok, I knew what it was, but it had been a very long time since I saw that-- even here in KY.  You don't see as many smoking.  Or, those who do smoke don't smoke in their cars or homes.  I think car leasing also has an effect on that.  Some leases can charge you, if your car smells or has burns, when you turn it back in.

Many are now smoking the flavored cigars-- blunts or whatever the kids are calling them.  Many men also prefer to dip here and many other Midwest and southern states.  I think I see more men buying dip (smokeless tobacco for those who don't know that term) than I see buying cigs.  And, definitely more buying the flavored cigars. 

For those of you in other countries-- Is dip (smokeless tobacco) something you never see and something mostly here in the states?  I know Snus was invented and is popular in Switzerland??

Dip is found to be linked to oral cancer. 

Offline Growler

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 03:01:17 am »
It takes about 72 hours from your last cigarette for the all the nicotine to leave your body. This is when the worst of the withdrawal symptoms are felt. During this time drinking acidic fruit juice (cranberry juice particularly) can spend up the elimination of nicotine from the body speeding up the withdrawal process.
I am at day 14 without cigarettes and feel great.
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Growler

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 03:08:42 am »

All forms of smokeless tobacco (dip, snus, snuff etc) are illegal to sell in Australia. Ecigarettes are legal but nicotine juice cannot be legally purchased here.....but it is legal to import nicotine juice for personal use.

Offline Growler

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 03:12:53 am »
Hi everyone, thanks for warm welcome. Doing well, only problem is herpes on my hands which itches like shit.... who knew you could get it there.
Growler

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 05:23:04 pm »
Hooray for the quitters here!!

My one year quit anniversary was November 2nd of this year. Smoked for 10 + years. Long enough I can't remember when I began. Hopefully someday I'll be quit long enough I won't remember when it ended.

There wasn't any grand epiphany or health event that compelled me to stop. More than any I grew tired of the negative self talk when I lit up another cigarette.

Of all the stop smoking aids helpers I tried (patches, wellbutrin and hypnosis) the best was a book by Allen Carr.
Reading his book took away all the excuses I'd used for smoking. (Stress, relaxation, concentration, I look so suave with a ciggy, etc etc etc) Basically the book kicked the crutches out from under my justifications and allowed me to see my habit in a new light. YMMV

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking-ebook/dp/B00FADSJ9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387836173&sr=1-1&keywords=allan+carr+easy+way+to+stop+smoking

•  1 year
   Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

Reading that, and knowing it applied to me felt good. Really good.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Growler

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »
Hi all.
Just checking to see if anyone had given up the smokes for the new year. I'm on day 29 of my quit and can honestly say its been worth it. I have also quit caffeine over the last week, I was overdosing on coffee as compensation for the lack of nicotine. I'm going to restart caffeine again again tomorrow but limit myself to 2 cups of coffee a day.
Cheers
Growler

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 06:44:45 pm »
Hi all.
Just checking to see if anyone had given up the smokes for the new year. I'm on day 29 of my quit and can honestly say its been worth it. I have also quit caffeine over the last week, I was overdosing on coffee as compensation for the lack of nicotine. I'm going to restart caffeine again again tomorrow but limit myself to 2 cups of coffee a day.
Cheers
Growler

I'm down from a pack (20 cigarettes) a day to 14 a day.... plan is to be down to 6 a day by end of next week and then give them up completely.....
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 07:01:27 pm »
I must admit I have not followed through as of yet but I must . I have a cough that wont quit and it wakes me at night sometime and I must clear my lungs to breath .

Its a testament to the addictive power of nicotine . I sometimes find it painful to smoke and as I coughed up something disgusting the other day I commented to myself, good, now I can smoke and it wont hurt .

I know I can do this because I have before for long periods of time . I have been through 30 years of Aids and drug addiction and I did not get to where I am now by denying my condition or not taking responsibility for it, so I am going to have to draw on those skills and do the right thing by myself before I get to the point of no return and become a guy tethered to an oxygen tank, that is where I'm heading fast .           
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 10:07:44 pm »
I know it's tough, but you have a great big cheering section for you.  If you quit and stay quit until the 2015 AMG -- I'll even do a nice Cheering routine for you.....  (I'm putting it out that far so as not to scare you back to smoking afterwards.....).

I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS.......

Hugs,
Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 10:13:48 pm »
I know it's tough, but you have a great big cheering section for you.  If you quit and stay quit until the 2015 AMG -- I'll even do a nice Cheering routine for you.....  (I'm putting it out that far so as not to scare you back to smoking afterwards.....).

I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS.......

Hugs,
Mike

Will you wear a tight little cheerleader outfit ? I want Pom Pom's too . Of course it will have to be filmed and uploaded to Utube to inspire others .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:11 pm »
Hi all.
Cheers
Growler
  I changed brands.....baby steps.   ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 05:28:21 am »
I'm down to 1/2 pack.  Trying to think of reasons other than the obvious (breathing, family).  One of my big motivators, and I hate to say it, is the money.  At $6/pack, even with smoking 1/2 a pack a day, that's still almost $24/week.  And I hate to tell my best friend I can't go out to eat because I have no money (due to smoking). 

I have some patches in my bathroom, they helped me before.  And I started riding my recumbent bike this morning, hopefully that will help also.  I want to, just need that extra push.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.