Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:08:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: subtypes of hiv  (Read 21347 times)

Offline greekman22

subtypes of hiv
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:34:28 am »
hi everybody..
i received oral sex from a person a dont know at all!i got tested for hiv at 2 and 3 months both negative.. i know its conclusive but some doctors told me to get retested at 6 months.ok thats what i am going to do...But,also, i have heard some doctors telling that is possible for a test at 12 months to turn to positive if someone is infected with hepatitis c at same time..i am really anxious because i am in a relationship and she wants me to stop using condoms.. But i need to be 100% sure.. please someone answer.. i really need help.thank you in advance.

Offline RapidRod

Re: i need to know the truth!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:21:44 am »
You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV from a blow job. You didn't need to test the first time, let alone at 6 months which is the old guideline standards.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:42:14 am »
You have heard and some doctors...blah blah blah.

No one's ever been confirmed to have become HIV infected from getting oral. It's safe to say you aren't going to make history by becoming the first. You never need to test to begin with. If you had a real risk such as either unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse a negative result at 13 weeks would have been sufficient to get a reliable answer.

You're HIV negative. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:21:52 pm »
thank you all so much!
i feel much better now..
really!!
but i am gonna get tested at 6 months for my own piece of mind..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54:21 am »
Go ahead and do it if you insist. Just wasting money and resources to test further.

In the entire history of the epidemic there has never been one confirmed case of transmission to a guy from his getting a blowjob. It's safe to say you wont' make history by becoming the first.

Stop hanging on to a fear that has absolutely no basis in HIV science. Really.

And that is THE TRUTH since that's what you wanted.

Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:23:49 pm »
Andy thank you for your support!! you are right!!
cheers as you say!! ;D ;) :P

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:44:58 pm »
You're welcome. On with your life!
Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

subtypes of hiv
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:27:47 pm »
Hi!
i got tested for hiv after the possible exposure i had 3 times ( 2 months, 3 months, 6 months) with eliza tests all negative..
I know i should be happy but i suffer from depression and i want to stop taking those stupid pills.i want to ask if the eliza tests can ``see`` all the subtypes of hiv 1 and 2.please i need to know the truth because i am in a serious relationship.thanks in advance :'(
Do i have to get another type of test to be 100% sure?
Please note that this 100% means many many things for me and my girlfriend. :'(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: subtypes of hiv
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:54:22 pm »
You haven't indicated what your possible risk was but at this point that's irrelevant. You have absolutely and reliably tested negative for HIV. There was no need to test again after 3 months. You are worrying needlessly about subtypes and whatever else. More irrelevancy. Your ELISA at 13 weeks gave you a reliable all-clear as far as HIV is concerned.

Get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 02:13:17 am »
I received oral sex from a person i dont know at all!!
i know its pretty impossible to get invected in this way but please treat me like i performed penetration.
Testing is complete i know that...
But i have heard about these subtypes that arent detectable with the simple eliza tests.
I know its better to ask my pshsician ( who told me to get retested  at 6 months just 2 be extra sure).Has anyone ever heard about these subtypes of hiv-1 called N and O (very uncommon situations).
all i need is to stop taking the pills and my psichiatrist told me that this will be done only if i am 1000% sure that i am negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 06:13:29 am »
greek,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Never has been, never will be. You've already been told this.

You don't need further testing. You ARE hiv negative. You will not be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about your no-risk blowjob. Read the posting guidelines found in the Welcome Thread and consider yourself warned.

Ann
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:19:17 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline greekman22

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:34:48 am »
sorry I didnt know that...
anyway i feel much better now..
Thanks everybody for your support..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 09:40:11 am »
Good. Get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 06:58:17 pm »
Hi again!well after a well-going month my therapist and I decided that its time to stop taking antidepressants pills.I have to say to everyone in this forum that there is no reason to worry about subtypes and rare groups such as O and N.I talked with the hiv doctor here in Thessaloniki ( the only one here ) and he told me that the new tests (4th generation elisa) can detect all subtypes and group N at 6 months after the possible exposure.I think that we,all, must and HAVE to trust our negative results. if someone should worry is the doctor and if he doesnt worry we are safe!!and of course if a group such as N exists ,then can be detected!thats the simple logical situation!
I m writing this because I want to see it when I would be feeling bad!
Thanks everyone for your support!
REMEMBER GUYS! WE ARE NEGATIVE!!
IF WE WERE POZ WE WOULD BE ON THE OTHER FORUM!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 07:11:41 pm »
He was partly right. An ELISA test will detected antibodies from all Types, Groups and subtypes. But he was totally wrong on the time line. 3 months is conclusive not 6 months. 

Offline greekman22

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 07:18:39 pm »
every doctor says something different...I have heard many many opinions and most agree that a test is about 99% conclusive.the 6 month test is for very very special occasions!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 07:32:01 pm »
Let's be real clear about when six months is indicated for testing. It is in those cases when intravenous drug use has been involved or a severely compromised immune system from treatment for cancer or an organ transplant.

Greek, you're well intentioned but you ought to be concentrating on your own needs and not giving advice to others.

Good luck!
Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 04:40:35 pm »
Hi again.. I started a relationship with a girl.I want to tell her to get tested but the problem is that I am confused about the window period . ok i know that 3 months is conclusive for almost everyone but the other 5% at 6 months?what are the special occasions that someone has to get tested at 6 months?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »
You know the answer to that. Andy elaborated it. This is an HIV phobia, and coming back here time and again is not going to make it go away. Subtypes O and N? Good Lord, epidemiologists don't even talk about that.

What you need to know is that if you have not had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse in three months then you are considered conclusively negative. Period.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline greekman22

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 04:53:41 pm »
I didnt say that I dont have hiv phobia. but I am really in a relationship. I dont care any more about groups N and O. really.
I just want to know when is someone recommended to get tested at 6 months!!is this so bad?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 05:06:31 pm »
greek,

Try reading Andy's reply #16 again. He already answered you about the six month thing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline greekman22

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 05:15:04 pm »
thanks Ann!sorry i havent seen it!

Offline greekman22

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 11:44:14 am »
Hi again.
Well this is a new story but its true.
The girl that I am in a relationship now told me that this summer she had vaginal unprotected sex for 3 or 4 seconds with someone of unknown status (after these 4 seconds,he wore a condom).is this a risk for hiv?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 02:24:49 pm »
No matter what her HIV status is you are well protected as long you always use a condom for intercourse. By always using a condom it doesn't matter if the person you are with is HIV+, because condoms provide very effective protection.
Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 06:05:31 pm »
the problem is that she didnt tell me the whole truth (she only told me that she had sex with someone 6-8 times,always with condoms).after a week she remembered that once she put the condom after 4 seconds.and as I was trying to get rid of the hiv phobia that i have i didnt use a condom.I know it is wrong but I did it.so what`s the risk for her being infected by him? I know mine!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 07:37:02 pm »
You didn't have a risk. If she has a concern then she should go test. Keep using condoms and you won't contract HIV as long as the condoms are used consistently and correctly.

Offline greekman22

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 08:11:38 pm »
i didnt get it.its not risky for her if she had unprotected vaginal for some seconds?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 09:21:09 pm »
I said if she is concerned then she should test. It has nothing to do with you. You had protected sex.

Offline greekman22

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:25 pm »
I didnt!!!cause she told me that everything she did was protected.so we would be safe but now she remembered that.is it risky for her?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52:37 pm »
After you asked all these question and received answers you're now saying you didn't have protected sex? I've been doing this way to long. If someone didn't use protections that say it in their first post.

Offline greekman22

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:26 pm »
I mentioned it!thats why I told that i know my risk!whats her risk?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »
If you know your risk after all the questions you have asked then why don't you know what kind of risk she put herself in by having unprotected sex?

Offline greekman22

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 10:11:36 pm »
yes its partially unprotected sex but after some seconds they put condoms.for sure it wont be as risky as 4 minutes unprotected vaginal sex.thats what I mean.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 10:18:55 pm »
There does not have to be ejaculation to contract HIV. She put herself at risk and you inturn put yourself at risk for not using a condom.

Offline greekman22

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 09:05:30 am »
i know it is risky for me!but for her I dont think is so risky..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 10:49:09 am »
greek,

The receptive partner is ALWAYS at greater risk than the insertive partner when you're talking about unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

For clarification, the receptive partner is the person who is being anally or vaginally penetrated. The insertive partner is the person putting their penis into an anus or vagina.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline greekman22

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 12:37:37 pm »
I dont know why I am back again,since everything is better with my mental health I guess.
I ll start again with my last year exposure.it was oral sex (i received it).ok,I got tested many many times all negative.after these tests I was strongly worried about group N cause cdc says clearly cannot be detected by current tests.But oral sex is not finally a risk for hiv .HAS NOT EVER BEEN!!!!!!NOT A SINGLE DOCUMENTED CASE RIGHT??!when you have no risk ,you re hiv negative and the tests that you do ,you do it just for your mental health!when I realised that receiving oral sex is nit a risk for hiv I stopped worrying about group N and i said to myself how silly I was thinking of something so rare that only 10 people are infected only! i repeat only in Cameroon!! In the first place I would worry for hiv at all!

No back at today. I have a relationship with a girl 2 months now. The only unprotected thing that she has done was vaginal sex with someone of unknown hiv status (probably negative) for 3 seconds.thats a very minimal risk.we ll go and get tested together at 3 months and I wish that everything will be alright AND IT WILL!why the hell I am still here writing? I have to say this! DONT TRUST YOUR SYMPTOMS!all last year i was thinking that this stupid low fever i had ,was due to hiv but when I realised that there was no risk this fever suddenly stopped! worry about group N???why?have I ever been to Cameroon?no!has anybody been to Cameroon?no!and even this group n is so rare in this country that only 10 people are infected in the whole world in Cameroon only!
its so stupid worrying about something that never will be outside Cameroon or at present is only there.. Guys think positive. as i didnt make history by becoming the 1st one infected from receiving a blow job you wont be the 1st one with a rare subtype (group N-NOT O that is now detected) outside Cameroon!
Remember only 10 cases in a single unique country!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 01:22:23 pm »
Your gf's HIV status is irrelevant as long as you are using condoms. And you should be using condoms with anyone you are with until such time as you maybe in a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners test negative at a reliable testing point.
Andy Velez

Offline greekman22

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 07:26:27 pm »
I really hate myself bring here again..I continue being in this relationship 2 months now and in about 20 days we re going to get tested together for all the stds.. my concern is that last week i performed her oral sex for about 10 minutes. I know that its extremely low risk but i didnt have any cuts or sores.my oral health is quite good.do I have to worry about this?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 07:34:53 pm »
Haven't you learned anything since you've been here? Again NO RISK..

Offline greekman22

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 07:39:42 pm »
its not that i havent learnt anything but what concerns me is that in the www.thebody.com dr francino says its extremely low risk not absolutely not a risk...of course i have learnt many many things.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 04:32:54 am »
greek,

If  you have questions about something Dr Francino said, go ask HIM about it.

At AIDSmeds.com we go by the proven science. The proven science is that going down on a woman is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever been infected this way and you won't be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline greekman22

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 05:07:57 pm »
Andy please dont bug me but i really need your help one more time..
maybe this post is from an hypochondriac maybe maybe maybe but please answer me.
2 days ago I went to my friends house.one of my friends told me to bring them some cans of beer. He tried to open the can but he cut his finger.I immediately tried to help him as some can are difficult but i cut my finger too.although we both had blood on our fingers i didnt notice any blood on the can..is this risk!?????

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 05:38:51 pm »
No risk.

Haven't you learned anything all the time you have been coming here? Really.
Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 05:41:50 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline greekman22

Lubricants and condoms
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 06:27:32 pm »
Good evening to all,
Here`s my story. Last august I had protected anal sex with a man I dont know.I was the top. I met him at a club and that s all, you know one night stand. I wasnt that worried about hiv infection or std s since I read conflicting information about combination of some lubricants with latex condoms. I dont know what kind of lubricant we used but I m sure that the condom didnt break or pop. I checked it later and no sperm leaked.
The problem is that I ve read on some sites that oil based lubricants not only increase the possibility of the condom to break but also may allow hiv to penetrate the latex even if the condom doesnt fail and remains intact. Is this true? Thanks in advance for any information .

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Lubricants and condoms
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 06:31:01 pm »
Please keep all your thoughts questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Your questions will not be answered unless you return to your original thread

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline greekman22

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 06:32:39 pm »
Good evening to all,
Here`s my story. Last august I had protected anal sex with a man I dont know.I was the top. I met him at a club and that s all, you know one night stand. I wasnt that worried about hiv infection or std s since I read conflicting information about combination of some lubricants with latex condoms. I dont know what kind of lubricant we used but I m sure that the condom didnt break or pop. I checked it later and no sperm leaked.
The problem is that I ve read on some sites that oil based lubricants not only increase the possibility of the condom to break but also may allow hiv to penetrate the latex even if the condom doesnt fail and remains intact. Is this true? Thanks in advance for any information .

Offline greekman22

Re: Lubricants and condoms
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 06:34:27 pm »
Oh I m sorry . I did it ..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »
Condom didn't fail then you didn't have a risk.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.