Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:02:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Very concerned- false positive?  (Read 48300 times)

Offline Victor

Very concerned- false positive?
« on: September 30, 2006, 02:16:39 pm »
This is my situation and I am extremely scared. I had unprotected sex 4
times within a week with a female almost 8 weeks ago. I was freaking out
almost immediately since I shouldn’t have done this. Anyway, even though I
knew it was too soon, I got tested with the rapid oral Oraquick and the oral
Orasure after 10 days. Both were negative. I waited 4 weeks and got tested
again with the oral Orasure only this time. Result was negative. I went in
to get tested again at the 6 week mark. I had the oral Oraquick done and
after 25 min. the nurse didn’t know what to think! She went and got the Dr.
to look at the test. Anyone familiar with the Oraquick test knows that the C
line will always show and if antibodies are detected, the T line will show
as well. Well, the T line was barely showing and it wasn’t fully complete.
They said that they have never seen such a light T line. They stated that it
was a positive result anyway! They immediately performed an Oraquick finger
prick blood test and it came out negative!! After that, they looked very
confused and they said that they have never had a positive oral Oraquick and
a negative blood finger prick Oraquick at the same time. They said that in
their experience when one test came out positive, the other one was positive
as well. They performed another Oral Oraquick and it came back negative this
time! So, I was left with 1 oral Oraquick “positive” and 2 ( one blood/prick
finger Oraquick and one Oral Oraquick) negatives!! I didn’t know what to
think. They stated that I was still in the window period and that I could be
sero converting. I don't understand how I could be seroconverting and getting 2 negatives and one very strange positive. Remember that I was at the 6 week mark at this time. Also, if I am seroconverting, wouldn't all the tests would have been inconclusive or positives instead of negatives?
I was told to come back in two weeks and do the testing
over again and it would be the 8 week mark then. The female that I had sex
with stated that she was tested 3 weeks ago and it was negative. She said
that she was willing to mail the results to me since she doesn’t live here.
She is the only unsafe exposure that I’ve had since I was diagnosed with
herpes 2 years ago. I should have learned my lesson I guess. Anyway, I am
freaking out at this point since I don’t know what’s going on with me! Was
the first oral Oraquick a false positive? I have read that the finger prick
test was more accurate than the oral one. Is it possible that I am infected?
I am going back next Weds (will be 8 weeks since exposure then) and I am
really afraid of what’s going to happen. What are the odds of being HIV+ in
my situation? I really need some help here.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 02:18:36 pm by progheadd »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Very concerned- false positive?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:29:04 pm »
prog,

This sounds like a classic case of FALSE positive to me. I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative. Remember, you didn't have a proper positive result on that test, only a faint line. These tests are known for their false positives.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Please start using condoms and stop playing roulette with your life and health. I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative after this incident, but next time you might not be so lucky.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victor

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 02:54:26 pm »
Thanks so much for your words Ann! I have read plenty of your posts and I really like the way you write and how you communicate with us. Yeah, Dr. HHH had told me that as well. I just need a little reassurance you know? I am pretty desperate since I am working things out with my wife and we have a wonderful son together. I want to be able to raise him and be a good dad. God knows that if it wasn't for my father, I wouldn't be here today since I used to party a lot on my teen years. He passed when I was 20. I don't want that to happen to my son and I want to meet my grandchildren. Sorry about the rant, I am just feeling emotional right now.  I am not planning on doing this again. Nothing is worth going through what I am going through right now. Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:07:56 pm »
You're welcome Prog,

Not that I think you'll need to know this, but in the very, very remote chance that you do test positive over this, there is every reason to believe you will see your son grow up (but the grandchildren thing is up to him). Hiv is no longer a death sentence, although it is a challenge to live well with.

I do expect you to continue to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victor

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 03:29:30 pm »
Ann,

One question I forgot to ask.. I am just getting over a cold and I am tested next Weds. I know they will start again with the rapid tests (oral Oraquick and Finger prick Oraquick). I have read here that a cold can affect the outcome of the oral one. Can it also affect the outcome of the blood finger prick one? I just don't want to have a false positive (another one! in case that is what the first one was) because of it. What are your thoughts?

Also, I am not worried about this cold since I took a family trip last week and everyone is sick. So, no ARS from this one at least. No fever, just runny nose and sneezing a little.

Hopefully I won't have any traces of this cold by Weds, but who knows?

Also, when someone is seroconverting, can that person have "positive" and negative results at the same time? I was just wondering since that's what happened to me. Even though even the Dr. said he has never seen such a faint line on the T line. So, I don't know how much I trust it to be a "positive".

Once again, loving your responses!

Progheadd

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 03:59:48 pm »
A cold or anything else will not affect the results of your test. You can not have a positive and negative at the same time.

Offline Victor

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 06:19:26 pm »
Hi RapidRod,

Thanks for replying. You stated that you can't test positive and negative at the same time. I guess you meant you can't be positive and negative at the same time, since I tested positive and negative within an hour! 1 "positive," 2 negatives. This was at the 6 week mark of the possible exposure. 

This is the reason why I asked the question about seroconverting at the time that I was tested. I was wondering if one test was able to "pick it up", but not the other two. I really want to go with Ann's opinion and just to think that it was a false positive, but that questions is still in my mind. Does anyone know of anyone having the same experience that I had and ended up being positive?

Thanks!

P.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:22:00 pm by progheadd »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »
P, I can understand your anxiety and concern since it's your health and life we're talking about.

Like Ann I do expect you will come out of this HIV negative, though that one positive was understandably scary.

Everything you have described leads me to expect you will continue to test negative. I suggest avoiding getting into speculation and comparisons with the experiences of others, no matter how much you would like some definitive answer at this moment.

Stay productively busy and when you re-test I expect you will get a happy result.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Victor

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 10:12:46 pm »
Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for your advise and good wishes. Also, she said that she got tested (per my request) and she stated that it was negative. It this is true, I don't have much to worry about. However, she doesn't live here and that makes things a little more difficult for me. I really don't have any reason not to believe her and we are still in touch. I just hope she is not lying to me. Well, this was only a one person exposure and I hope it wasn't the wrong one. We'll see in 4 days when I go back to get tested. I am still very concern and I am definitely losing sleep over this because of that "false positive". I am really praying that it is a false one indeed.

Thanks again.

P.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 10:26:15 pm by progheadd »

Offline gnom

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 10:53:22 pm »
progheadd u no worry, it happened to me as well - false positive

- the second line was slightly visible and it was not even oral test, but from the vein blood, docs says it could be for many reasons the test showing up like that (infections, pregnancy or even just that the tests wasn't stored properly)-they calling them indeterminate

Offline Victor

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 11:14:07 pm »
Oh really  Gnom? I am sure you were freaking out like I am. What kind of test did you have? Did you have to wait to get the confirmatory results? I assume they were negative.
 The worst thing about my situation is that it was the 6th week after exposure when I got tested. So, the Dr. thought that we would get a better result if I got tested at the 8th week. So, this wait has been SO stressful to put it kindly. I just want to get back to my life the way it was before when I had nothing to worry about. Hopefully it will remain that way. Only thing I can do for now is to hope for the best. Getting those two negatives after that first "positive" were a blessing and that's the only reason why I have been able to cope with this wait.

Thanks,

P.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 02:52:24 am »
Gnom, keep all you thoughts and questions in your own thread. Do NOT post in others threads.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 07:32:08 am »
That was probably a false positive. As you had another test that was negative, it sounds more and more that this positive test was wrong. I am surprised they didn't do a Western Blot test too, which is a standard way of testing for a false positive - that's actually how they confirm a positive resullt, so they should have done this too. Ask them for one?

It doesn't matter what this girl tested as even if she was positive, it wouldn't mean you are.

I predict a happy outcome.

Rich
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 07:34:05 am by HIVworker »
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Victor

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 11:44:18 am »
Thanks Rich!

I see that you are a HIV worker so you must have experience with situations like mine. Well, I was able to sleep better last night and that is thanks to you guys!

I just hope that everyone is right and that I can have a happy response to you all on Weds.

I have one more question... I know that they are going to do a couple of rapid tests again. The Oral Oraquick (which I got a "positive" and negative result with) and the Oraquick blood prick finger one (negative result). If they are positive, of course they will order the Western B. However, let's be optimistic and say that they are both negative. Should I get the Western B. anyway?

I was thinking if both of the rapid ones (which includes one with blood) are negative, to wait until week 12-13 and get a Western B. then to be in the absolute clear. I think I could live for 4-5 more weeks with a negative result on both rapid tests.

What do you guys think? should I get the Western B. anyway or wait like I stated above?

Maybe I won't even have to worry about it since there is a chance that they both will be positive right?  :'(

Please advise.

Thanks guys!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 12:33:38 pm »
Prog,

To be honest, I don't feel you need a Western Blot. You didn't have a proper positive result, you only had a faint line followed by two more negative results. It can't be much more obvious that it was a false positive. It's really unfortunate that they decided to call a faint, incomplete line "positive" - it wasn't. That was highly irresponsible of the testing center workers.

I'm fully expecting you to continue to test negative.

One comment - If you didn't insist on over-testing, you probably wouldn't have had this happen to you. The more you test over an incident, the more likely it is that you will end up with a false positive. Stop testing so much - and I hope others reading your thread will take heed.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 12:55:53 pm »
You are right Ann. I have had tested more than I should have. Well, I do have an appointment for Weds and I will go in since they are waiting for me. The Dr. himself called me and wants me to come in. I think they have never had a false positive before and he is eager to follow through with this. They only do 20-30 tests a week and they never had this situation before even though the city I live in is big on HIV/AIDS research. Don't know about testing though. Of course at this point I want to help as well, so I will go.

Your advise and others have helped my state of mind enormously and I don't know how to pay you guys. You are a bunch of wonderful people!

Stay healthy.

Thanks!

P.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 02:51:34 pm »
The WB test is up to you. Pretty much every place I have experience with do a WB test after any sort of positive result, indeed people in the "recently tested forum" are often asked this question because it is protocol in most testing stations. It is often done as a confirmatory test. That's the only reason I suggested it. Do you need it? That's up to you and your doc.

Gnom,

Take your paranoia elsewhere. You have said your piece. If your motivation is to help, do not detract the discussion in this thread. OK you were misunderstood. Fine, you mentioned that. Sort everything else out in PMs - as you won't help progheadd at all....and that was your intention to help him. So do so by not going on and on...I encourage everyone else to do the same.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Victor

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 01:52:18 pm »
Quick question guys... Can Valtrex influence HIV test results? I have HSV-1 and I am going to get tested for HIV (again) on Weds. I want to make sure that this is not going to influence anything. I don't have an outbreak, but I want to take some to prevent one since I have been stressed out for obvious reasons. I take 1 gram a day when I do.

To be more specific, I'd like to know if it can influence the rapid tests like Oraquick. Or any test for that matter that is for HIV.

Thanks again for everything that you do.

P.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 02:06:01 pm »
Progheadd,

Valtrex will not influence antibody test results. 

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 08:13:43 pm »
Prog, what Dr. HHH said to you, must have went in one ear and out the other. 3/4 of the worlds population has HSV1. What is the big deal? A cold will not effect your tests, nor antibotics or anything else.

Offline Victor

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 08:28:18 pm »
Rapid,

I am not asking the same question again. I just wanted to know if Valtrex (as medication) can affect HIV results if taken while you want to test for HIV. I know that HSV1 will not affect results. Like you said, Dr. HHH clarified that for me. I meant the medication itself since it is used to suppress a virus and HIV is a virus, I thought it made sense to make sure.

Thanks for your response.

P.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 08:33:30 pm »
P,

Valtrex is specific for the Herpes Simplex Virus and has no suppressive effect on the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. More to the point, the tests used to detect HIV infection don't look for the virus itself. Rather they look for the immune system's response to the virus, ie antibodies.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 08:34:56 pm »
Prog,

Antivirals for the herpes virus have no effect on hiv whatsoever. Hiv is a retrovirus, which is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish to herpes.

No drug will effect an hiv antibody test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 01:47:43 pm »
thanks again for your responses. I will take my Valtrex then to prevent anything. I don't need an outbreak right now!

Offline Victor

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 07:09:17 pm »
I just talked to the person that is going to do my test tomorrow. Man, don’t I feel worse! I called to confirm my appointment tomorrow at 11 AM. Of course I asked her a few questions. She would give me a neutral answer to everything. I can only remember a few at this point. For what I remember, I asked her if she had seen lines that were that faint on the test that turned out positive at the end. She said “yes”. I asked her if there were as fainted as mine and she said “maybe not as fainted”. I also asked her about what were her thoughts about getting two negatives afterwards and her opinion about the finger prick being more accurate than the swab and she said “well, they are both almost just as accurate”. When I asked her when it would be conclusive then she stated “I have a problem using the word conclusive”. She also said that she has seen people test positive after  a negative at 6 weeks! I asked her about that a little further and she contradicted herself a little by saying “some people come in here not sure which encounter could have infected them”. Well, I am sure there is just one for me and I know the dates, times, etc!  I mean, that should give you all and idea! Then, at the end I asked her the odds about me testing negative and she said “the odds are good”. After all of the other responses that I got from her before, I don’t know if she said that just to make me feel better!
I mean, she is a nice lady, but she really makes you feel worse about everything. Now I am feeling really down about this whole thing and most of my hopes are gone. I am sorry, but I can’t stay positive when you are given such a somber picture.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:39:02 pm by progheadd »

Offline Victor

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 02:47:01 am »
Does anyone have any opinions?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 03:16:27 am »
There is nothing more to add. There is no reason to get upset on the information given to you.

Offline Victor

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 03:50:32 pm »
Well, I went to get tested today; the 8th week mark. They performed the Oraquick Oral swab and the blood prick finger one. They were both negative!

You guys have no idea how this felt after getting that "positive".

They oferred to do a Western B. and they said that if the enrolled me on some kind of research it would be free. Two people were there while I was testing and one of them thought it was a good idea to make sure completely that I didn't have HIV since they would do the whole thing, viral load test, etc.

The other one said that based on the results so far, she was not sure if I needed to do this.

They gave me some paperwork and told me to think about it. They actually gave me some kind of "contract" if I decide to be part of the research.

One also said that if I came back HIV negative, I wouldn't be part of it. So, it is a way to get a Western B. free! She basically said that.

I want to take a couple of days to think about it. In the meantime, I just want to enjoy myself a little since this gives me a piece of mind at the moment.

I still think I should get tested again at the 13 week mark just to be 100% sure and maybe I will take advantage of that "free" Western B.

What do you guys think?

I want to thank all of you here that offered your support at the darkest hours of my life. It was really encouraging and I don't have words to express my appreciation.

I know I am not "home free" yet, but I think I am almost there.

Best to all of you.

P.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 07:20:50 pm »
What would the research entail? You are negative and I see no reason for you to be in a research study or to have a Western Blot test.

Offline Victor

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 09:00:50 pm »
I think they would do a Western B. and if  it comes out negative, they would drop me off the research. They wanted me on it because they have never had someone that tested "positive" and negative later. First "false positive" so far in two years according to them. So everyone is looking at me closely there. Like you said, I would have to be positive first, so that's why the nurse said that it would be a good way of getting a Western B. for free.  ;)

Andy, Ann, etc, any opinions about the results?

Should I still get a Western B. at 12-13 weeks?

Thanks for your response Rapid.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 03:08:13 am »
You've got to be kidding? False positives happen all the time. You don't need any further testing.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 06:41:45 am »
Prog,

You don't need a WB. You've had two more negative results - that brings the total up to four negative results after your alleged false positive. You should test at the three month point for a conclusive result, but I do not expect it to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chrisnwmsu

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 09:25:47 am »
FYI.  I had the same problem with a rapid Orasure test.  You could just barely see a line,  I would not even call it a line, I would call it a discolor of where the line should be.  I was also told positive!  I took a Elisa test at 16wks, it was neg.  Dont worry about the false pos.  I am not a big fan of that test anyway.  Hope this helps
Chris

Offline Victor

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2006, 02:54:52 am »
Thank you guys! I appreciate your advise and knowledge. Well, I hope you are right Ann, I definitely feel better about this with the results at the 8th week mark.  I guess the odds are in my favor right?
I will definitely post the final results at the 12-13 week and will continue to be around. I am thinking of doing some volunteering work and definitely some donations. I hope that my results continue to be the same.
This disease is terrible and is affecting so many wonderful people... It is mindblowing!

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

P.

PS- If anyone has any thoughts about where I am so far, please post.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 03:10:02 am by progheadd »

Offline Victor

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 01:20:07 pm »
Ann, Andy,

Have you ever seen a result change after an eight week negative and turn into a positive?

I don't mean only in this forum, but have you read about it as well?

I know you guys do a lot of research.

Also, would you still worry of a change after a 8 week negative?

Thanks a lot!

P.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 01:31:59 pm »
Prog,

I've never seen an eight week negative change in this forum and I've never read of one happening in recent years either - recent being the past ten years.

I'm still fully expecting you to continue to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 01:41:30 pm »
Ann,

Coming from you, that's all I need for now.  :)

I will wait patiently and test again at 13 weeks for a conclusive result.

Thanks again.

P.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 01:43:17 pm by progheadd »

Offline Victor

Re: Help I am Scared I may have been infected
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 08:38:59 pm »
I think this very important. When I got that “positive” (see my thread) I went pretty much out of my mind and I didn’t see (or cared at the time) the Dr. replacing the lancet before I had the Oraquick finger prick test. I haven’t posted about it because I felt like maybe I was being a little paranoid, but I am worried about it. The 2nd finger prick test I had done no worries, I made sure that time. However, it is a valid question. Let’s say that a lancet is not replaced; Is it possible to be infected that way?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 08:56:13 pm »
It is not a valid question and if you have any other questions or concerns keep them in your own thread.

Offline Victor

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 09:18:24 pm »
Well, I am just following up on this thread since the question was raised here. I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. I really don't have anything to add, but I posted to show that other people are interested and worried about this as well. I thought I was the only one until I read this.  If I post on mine is not going to make any sense since my thread is a completely different issue.

Hopefully I am making sense.

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 03:18:02 am »
porg

This question is not relevant because things like this just don't happen and your question shows a high level of paranoia, stress and  fear.

Usually people who received a negative result but can not accept the news are asking such questions.

I doesn't happen. Fullstop!

Darkfiber

Offline Victor

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2006, 03:28:50 am »
That's the reason why I didn't post it at my thread. I haven't been obsessing about it, but it crossed my mind a few times. I just responded on this thread because I thought I was the only one that have thought that. Obviously I am not.

Well, the original poster is worried about it, but the only responses that he is getting is that it doesn't happen. The question remains, if it did, could you get infected?

Thanks for responding Darkfiber.

Prog.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2006, 06:37:40 am »
Prog,

I removed your hijack of "thethruth's" thread and placed it here in your own thread, which is the ONLY thread you should be posting in. Please do not hijack another thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2006, 01:37:46 pm »
Hi guys,

I know this is going to sound silly, but I am just waiting for the 13 weeks to get my test and this event occured on Sat.

I went to get my haircut and while I was waiting for the guy that cuts my hair, he cut himself while doing someone else's hair with his scissors.

He went to the bathroom and put on a band aid. He continued to cut the other guys' hair for about 5 more minutes. Afterwards, it was my turn.

I was feeling uneasy about it because I am already dealing with an exposure and of course this was not the ideal situation.

I didn't see him sterilize the scissors, but I saw him spraying something on the clippers.

I went ahead and I let him cut my hair anyway. I didn't see any blood coming out of the band aid, but I could see dry blood on his finger undeneath the band aid.  however, he "massaged" my hair several times with gel with full hands l and I am sure that finger touched my hair or maybe the scalp.  he also touched my ears and everything else that you would touch when you are giving someone a hair cut. If he had some dry blood on his finger or hands, could HIV be transmitted this way? I don't think I was cut in any way and I checked myself afterwards.

I know I might be acting a little paranoid, but hey, I got a "positive" and of course this would affect someone's anxiety levels. I just want everything to go perfect until I get my result at 13 weeks.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If I had a cut in my scalp or somewhere else, could this be an issue?  If not, can I get a brief explanation of why this is not a risk?

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 01:40:40 pm by progheadd »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 02:01:33 pm »
This is not any kind of an exposure. Read the "Welcome" thread and read the lessons. If you've read it once read it again. You are going way out in left field. Seek out help for your unwarranted fears.

Offline Victor

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2006, 02:10:34 pm »
Thanks for your response RapidRod. I know I am being a little paranoid, but it is maneagable at this point since I am completely functional and I am not thinking about it all day long; however it does bother me a little. The only reason why my anxiety leves are high is because of that false positive. It was really scary.

Ann, Andy,

Could you explain the science behind this or why this is not a transmission issue? I knew the answer already ( I guess no risk), but I am looking for the scientific explanation.

Thanks as always.

Offline Victor

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 01:51:45 am »
Ann,

Can I please get your feedback on this? I think I am overreacting, but I'd like to know the scientific reason of why this wouldn't be a risk. I won't ask anymore questions until I get my results in 3 more weeks.

Thanks very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Prog

Offline J220

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 02:20:09 am »
Prog, I think you were doing reasonably well until this nonsense with the barber...first of all, what on earth makes you think he was positive??? I don't get it. Second, IF he was, there was no risk there. For blood-to-blood transmission there needs to be an open, flowing wound, on both ends...dried blood touching your scalp will not do it. Relax and get a hold of yourself.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:22:56 am by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Victor

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 02:34:54 am »
Yeah, sadly, I agree with your statement. This has really gotten to me and I am getting very paranoid. I think I had kept a "good head" and I might be losing it a little lately. Man, this has been the most stressful experience of my life! I am just looking at things differently since that experience and I need to calm down. I guess not knowing and waiting is making my mind trip a little. I will remain calm and stop the nonsense.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Best,

Prog

Offline Victor

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 03:34:40 am »
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which generation are the Oraquick oral swab and the prick finger blood one in the US? Are they 4th generation? I would really like to know.

I am having a little uncomfortable feeling on my lower abdomen and I am going to the Doctor tomorrow. I am not sure if you can call this "pain"; actually, I don't think it is. It is like a pressure feeling there. Definitely uncomfortable. I am afraid it is my appendix. I hope not.

Anyway, next Weds will be 13 weeks since my unprotected exposure. If the Dr. orders some blood work done, I will ask for a HIV test as well. It will be 12 weeks since my unprotected exposure then. Can I rely on those results? remember that I have gotten 4 negatives since that "positive".

Also, I had this little "patch" thing on my beard and I went to a Dermatologist. Hair was not really growing. He told me is Alopecia Areata. He says that it shows when you are under a lot of stress most of the time. Well, that's a no brainer!

I am just hoping that it won't affect my hair since so far it is only on my facial hair. We'll see what happens. I am trying to relax as much as I can.

Thanks in advance for your responses you wonderful people!

If you guys can respond to my questions I would appreciate it.

Best to everyone,

P.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.