Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:24:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 573
Total: 575

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Told my closest friends  (Read 3087 times)

Offline jackfrost

Told my closest friends
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:20:19 pm »
On March 1st, I found out I was HIV positive. On that day I told one of my closest friends and my boss, because I knew she could relate and understand. My other close friends I told yesterday morning. I have been grappling for the last two months (I can't believe 2 months has gone by this fast, it feels like I just found out yesterday) on how to tell my friends. When to do it, how to say it. Well I cheated and e-mailed them, I couldn't find my balls to tell them in person lol.

One of my friends I knew it wouldn't be an issue, I knew she would be supportive no matter what. The other two I wasn't sure how they were going to take it.  I sent them the e-mail Saturday morning just before 5 am.  It took me almost half an hour to click on the send button. I remember clicking the send button and then panicking and wondering if I did the right thing, it felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I flopped around on my bed lying a dying seal. I layed in bed running all the different scenarios through my head. What if they don't want to be my friend anymore? Needless to say, it took me a while to fall asleep and I was very tired at work the next day lol. So all day Saturday, I am constantly checking my phone  to see if they e-mailed or text messaged me. It's ten hours later on Saturday and no one has responded. Panic mode kicks in, I'm like omg they don't want to be my friend anymore. They are ashamed of me. I call my friend that knows, I tell her they haven't responded, I say, maybe they are mad I didn't tell them in person or they don't want to be friends with me. She says, at least they got an e-mail, you text messaged me - we burst out laughing. Then she reminds me that they are probably in shock and aren't sure what to say and are working on responding. Of course she was right.

At midnight, one of them responds. The first thing she says is we love you, we support you, we are hear for you. She goes on to say how me and our other friends are like family to her and how we are like siblings to her and that she is always there for us, and she understands that I feel embarrassed and ashamed (I told her I felt like that in my e-mail),and that she won't press me for any details, that I can tell her if and when I am ready.

The next day my other two friends respond. The one talks about how she kept writing the e-mail over and over because she can't express what our friendship means to her and that she is there for me and that if we never speak about it again that is fine, as long as I keep hanging out with them. My other friend tells me the same thing and says "don't forget we are non-sexual life partners for life - you can't avoid us" lol.

I should also mention, in this e-mail, I had to tell them I couldn't go to Kelowna with them at the end of June because I couldn't afford accommodations and taking time off work because I am filing for bankruptcy (I felt especially guilty because they bought my plane ticket for me for my birthday coming up - because they knew I was having money problems). She mentions that not to worry about having to back out of the trip and that if I still want to come they would cover the accommodation costs, because they really want me to go.

Holy shit, I must say I have the most amazing friends in the world. I am so very thankful I have them in my life. I am very thankful that I have the support of my friends and my boss. I had to come out for a second time in my life and should have remembered how awesome my friends were when I came out the first time.

I know my post is long, but I just had to share. Thanks for listening.

Offline vt5john

• to infinity and beyond
Re: Told my closest friends
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:35:57 pm »
Hi Jack:

Just want to say hello and I'm glad you had the courage to tell your friends and they positive responds you received.   Also glad that you seem to have a positive outlook on this and I believe that's the way it should be.

Like you I've just found found last february - my partner knows about my status and he's been supportive and so far I've only told 1 friend who also happened to on the same boat - and he too has been very supportive.   I'm going to take my time to let people (close to me) know about my status.

Cheers
j
Apr 2009 - noticed red dots on my body
Feb 2010 - Shingles on my chest - panicked!
Feb 20, 2010 - Found out :-( :-(
Feb 23, 2010 - CD4 311 22% VL 29,000
Mar 06, 2010 - CD4 251 15%
Mar 06, 2010 - started meds: D4T 3TC NVP
Apr 05, 2010 - stop NVP (Hypersensitive)
Apr 05, 2010 - Switched: D4T 3TC Kaletra
May 14, 2010 - Switched: Tenofovir-300 3TC Kaletra
June 10, 2010 - CD4 342 19% VL <40
July 13, 2010 - Reduced: Tenofovir-200 3TC Kaletra
Sept 21, 2010 - CD4 423 23.1% VL < 40
Oct 15, 2010 - Dr. Concerned with high Cretinine lvl - dropped Tenofovir-200
Oct 15, 2010 - 3TC Kaletra
Jan 17, 2011   - CD4 498 23.36%

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:31:18 am »
I admire your courage and I'm glad everything went well.  The only people who know my status are my partner, my brother, and his partner.  I debate whether to tell my parents and others.  I haven't told my best friend, because he can't keep a secret.  If I tell him, everyone will know.  I may get to where I don't care about that. 

I actually almost told my parents a couple of times.  My dad will complain over the smallest things and act like the world is coming to an end.  He has made me so angry that I wanted to say, "Well, at least you don't have a potentially deadly virus."  I've experienced this when people have told me I couldn't possible understand what it is like to have this problem or that problem.  I think they look at me and think my life is perfect without any problems.  I realize this is my fault for putting up a front that I'm just fine. 

I know most people with cancer don't hesitate to tell people.  I guess the issue with HIV is the stigma and fear you'll be treated differently--people afraid to kiss you or share a dessert.  Or, some family members may be afraid for you to be around their children.  I also think part of my issue is people thinking I must have been a whore.  I shouldn't care so much about what others think.  And, I realize that if we all told everyone, it would helped to get rid of the stigma.  So, I'm sure I'll tell more people eventually.  Right now, I'm just not sure I can handle any kind of negative reaction as I'm coming to terms with being poz.  Again, I'm sure as I come to terms with being poz, I won't care what others think or do.   

Again, I'm so happy to hear it went well for you.         

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 02:55:56 am »
On March 1st, I found out I was HIV positive. On that day I told one of my closest friends and my boss, because I knew she could relate and understand. My other close friends I told yesterday morning.
Holy shit, I must say I have the most amazing friends in the world. I am so very thankful I have them in my life. I am very thankful that I have the support of my friends and my boss. I had to come out for a second time in my life and should have remembered how awesome my friends were when I came out the first time.

I know my post is long, but I just had to share. Thanks for listening.

I'm glad to hear they are going to be there for you, and it is a very difficult thing to do - you never quite know how someone will react. I was surprised to find out that my straight friends were generally more supportive than many of my gay friends - a couple of my gay friends actually quit having anything to do with me because I'm a "AIDS-carrier" (not my words for it...). :-\
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:33:02 am »
glad to hear it
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:35:55 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline David_CA

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:34:01 am »
I'm glad it worked out for you.  I had similar reactions from family and friends when I disclosed.  So often, the fear or anxiety of disclosing can be worse than actually doing it... at least in my experience. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline weasel

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:18:33 pm »

Hi Jack  :)

I am glad it worked out well for  you !

I also told everyone when I was diagnosed  Full Blown AIDS !

It seemed like the right thing to do . And it was  and has been .

People have to know !   We need to have a face !

I do my part to tell  most people  that  i trust will not be mean   :o

wishing you the best of luck ,as time goes on it gets to be natural

Not sure what that really means anymore ?   

I have more issues with being  56  than   HIV POZ .

Be well ,
                                                     Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:26:15 pm »

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  I am glad your friends are who they are, supportive.  It brought back memories of my own disclosure to my best friend-Mike.  His wife and he held me up in their home that first week, and his wife stayed home from work.  I'll never forget that, EVER.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline jethro

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 07:42:35 pm »
Congrats on all the positive responses when you disclosed. For me, I told one friend, whom I was sure would not be judgemental. I was NOT planning on telling my family, but that was done for me. The reactions from  them have been across the board. But, now they know and I move on. It is a great lesson on live and let live. We can't change others responses. Hell, we can't control  what others say. We learn who our friends are.
My friend that I trusted and told, well, he just passed away from lymphoma. At the service, which was packed, I realised to have friends, you need to be a friend. He was a friend, always had the time to listen, joke, laugh and share. It was an Ebenezer scrooge moment for me, I hope it sticks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.