Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:50:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 622
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: can you get HIV from having sex with someone who just got exposed 5 hours ago?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline lendbz

• Standard
can you get HIV from having unprotected anal sex from my boyfriend (i was the receiving end, and he ejaculates inside me) that just got exposed to HIV 5 hours ago? My boyfriend has protected sex with another man 5 hours prior to having this unprotected sex with me , my boyfriend was the receiving end, the guy ejaculates into the condom, but the condom broke and semen leak inside my boyfriend's rectum. My boyfriend didn't think much at the time, 8 hours later that guy called and said he actually is HIV positive, but don't know his viral load and hasn't reallly been taking his medications.

So my question is, my boyfriend just got exposed to HIV as an anal receiving end partner with HIV, and then I have unprotected sex with my boyfriend 5 hours after that event, is that 5 hours enough to pass enough virus into my boyfriend that if he actually got it, and enough to pass it on to me? Or there's no way in that short 5 hours that his viral load would get high enough to be able to infect me even if he was unfortunate enough to get it?

I am 100% positive prior to this unfortunate broken condom event that my boyfriend is HIV negative , we been together for over 2 years and get tested every 3 months, and we rarely have sex with others. This was just one of the few times and this happen... my boyfriend is already on HIV PeP as we speak, 20 hours had passed since that broken condom incident as of now. So 15 hours for me, do I need to be on it too? What are the chances that I would get it if i know for sure 100% that my boyfrirned was HIV negative before this event?

ANy advice would help, as it is 15 hours for me now, I only have less than 57 windows to decide whether to go on the HIV PeP or not. But to see some number, what are the chances in percentrage that I would get it from him in that short 5 hours? In terms of percentage, what would you say in number that I would get it? like 1 in 1000?   Beause I am eposed to it only 5 hours after my boyfrind is exposed, does it make me less likely to get it, or the chances are the same?

What about my boyfriend? 1 in 100 maybe?

Also, i want to inquire about the timing and effective of taking HIV PEP..
I heard someone told me it's almsot 98% chance redue if taken in the first 12 hours, ~80% from 12 hours to 24 hours, ~50% from 24 hours to 48 hours, and it doesn't work after 72 hours? what aobut from 48 hours to 72 hours what are the percentage?  Or are these numbers way off?

Also, for my situation, would a 2 drug regime such as truvuda only be sufficent? for my bf, would just a 2 drug regime be sufficent or should he take the full 3 drug HIV PEP regime?

Thanks in advance!!

Offline lendbz

• Standard
sorry one more question :)

I think I will ask the doctor to get perscribe me combivir because of the generic low pricing, I know the side effects for combvivir is much harsher than truvuda, but I am low on money, I am wondering, if I really cannot tolerate it after a week or 2 , is it safe and okay to switch from combvivir to truvuda half way?? would it dimenish or effect any way the effectiveness of the 28 days HIV PEP treatment if i swtich regime from combvivr to truvuda or to other HIV PEP regime halfway?

tahnks in advance again :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
I moved your thread into the proper AM I INFECTED forum where you should post all your questions and concerns no matter how long between visits or subject matter . If you had read the welcome thread you would have known this so please read the welcome thread at the top of this page before posting again . 

There is allot going on in your thread to be addressed ... You need to stop having unprotected sex with anyone, your BF included until you have both tested negative together and have been in a secure monogamous relationship for at least 3 months past a negative HIV test .

You need to talk to a doctor about PEP and discuss what your options are if you want to pursue PEP . As you shared already PEP is effective if taken within 72 hours but assigning risk percentages by the hour is a bit over the top and and not helpful in the end .

We know that you had a risk for HIV and must test at 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the results ... please remember that if you choose PEP it extends the window period to 6 weeks past PEP and then again at 3 months .

The only thing that really matters is your HIV status, not your BF or what someone else said there HIV status is . You had a risk and must test at the proper time I outlined above . If you want PEP then go see a doctor and find out what your options are .     

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline lendbz

• Standard
Thanks for the reply  :)  I actually don't have sex with anyone else besides my bf, and the last time I tested was negative, though my bf is not entirely monogamous, but he always is protected when he plays, the only time he or me have unprotected sex are just the two of us, last time we checked 2 months ago we were negative.

This incidient happens because the condom broke while my bf was having sex with another man, as describe above.

So my question really is, I know i am negative, I know my bf was negative prior to this incident, but this incident exposes my boyfriend  to HIV as an anal receiving end partner , and then I have unprotected sex with my boyfriend 5 hours after that event, is that 5 hours enough to pass enough virus into my boyfriend that if he actually got it, and enough to pass it on to me? Or there's no way in that short 5 hours that his viral load would get high enough to be able to infect me even if he was unfortunate enough to get it?  So the question is, should I go for PEP?  My bf of course is , but do I need to as well?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
I see I did not make it clear . The only thing that matters is YOUR hiv status . If you are having unsafe sex with your BF that you are not in a secure monogamous relationship with you are having a risk for HIV each and every time period .

I lost count of the folks I know who have HIV because they had unsafe sex with someone who told them they were negative or thought it OK to forgo condoms because they thought they were in a monogamous relationship .

You are only assuming that your BF did not have other risk for HIV when you have unsafe sex with him but I will not make assumptions when I give you a risk assessment . 

The bottom line is you had a risk and need to test at the appropriate time .
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

You may well end up HIV positive if you continue to have unprotected sex with anyone no matter how much you trust them, that is how it happens . 

To be clear ... I do not know your BF is HIV negative so this is the only assessment I can can give you in good conscience and I hope you wise up before its too late .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Please do not not use the report to moderator function to ask more questions .

You have been advised already . You had a risk so if you wish to pursue PEP its your choice .... go see a doctor and find out what your options are . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Jeff has fully covered matters for you in his expert way. I will just add that if you are going to do PEP you get to it as quickly as possible. The earlier you start the better your chances will be of its effectiveness.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.