Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:38:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 589
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bout of food poisoning Xmas morning.  (Read 2761 times)

Offline newkrr

Bout of food poisoning Xmas morning.
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:27:48 am »
Hi not sure if this is in the correct forum but I have just had a bout of food poisoning which started Xmas morning.

Had diarrhoea and feeling nauseous, sweats, been in bed for the first 3 days, still feel crap today but the diarrhoea stopped after day two, there was no sickness just felt nauseous.

My meds require me to eat a meal with them (kivexa, reyataz, norvir) but that hasn't really been possible, still managed to take them but 1st night was just with water, 2nd night with a banana, 3rd night with a sandwich and last night with a bowl of soup!

My viral load has just gone UD at last test (tue 20th dec).

I had food poisoning once before on holiday in Goa, the symptoms were more severe but didn't last this many days.

Just wondered if food poisoning is a worry with HIV, should I visit my GP? Anyone else had it recently?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Bout of food poisoning Xmas morning.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:25 am »
Yes in late october i had it.
Its awful! Im sorry this is wrecking your holiday.
Sounds like you managed to get your pills in, so dont worry about the HIV angle of things.  My HIV doc said the same - no problem with the HIV.
Are you up and about yet? Feeling on the mends?
The third day I was not feeling better, so I went to a hospital clinic nextdoor, where they were able to get to the bottom with blood tests and diagnosis something specific within 2 hours, and start me on antibiotics.  Plus, on subsequent days, I had to deliver stool samples.
A bonus, also a note for being out of work.

If there isnt a financial burden or punishment for seeking treatment, its the way to go. Then at least you dont worry about anything at all, just get better.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:24:13 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newkrr

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:16 am »
Hi Mecch,

thanks for your response, I did just call the clinic I go to and they didn't seem too concerned actually. So long as I keep drinking plenty of fluids they recommend I ride it out.

I was worried it might somehow interfere with the HIV :-)

I do feel better but still feel rough, still aching and light headed but i guess as my appetite returns to normal things will improve, i'm sure i'll be back to normal in a few more days.

Heres hoping haha

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:14 am »
Dear do you have a generalist or HIV doc you can call and tell them you specifically think you have food poisoning and not a gastro flu?
How is the poo?  If its not normal, you really may need some antibiotics. Even if they dont want to go through the costly blood and stool testing, they could decide to treat you.
If you DO have a doctor personally involved with you, and not a nameless clinic, you might give that doc a call.
By the way, when I thought I was better, and treated, I went to work one day and it wasn't yet time. I was wobbly after two hours and cut it short and went home.
Hope you do feel better quickly.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newkrr

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:57:07 am »
Hi Mecch,

Yeah I called my HIV clinic and spoke to a nurse, there is no issue with cost etc :-))
I go to a good clinic in Paddington in London :-)

I'll wait a few more days and if not back to normal I will go pay them a visit and see the on call doc ;-)

The diarrhoea stopped after the 2nd day so thats not the problem, just I'm still aching and feeling light headed and sweaty! Just not back to normal as yet but i'm up and walking about just not up for going outdoors.

:-))

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.