Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 332
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What's "IT" all about?  (Read 15165 times)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
What's "IT" all about?
« on: July 08, 2006, 06:29:51 pm »
I'm trying to answer a pm from a member who is thinking of going to Montreal.

Honestly, I think all of you could do a much better job. 

The question is what is Montreal all about. 

I answered that for me I would be going without any expectations, just looking forward to seeing a beautiful city I would never otherwise visit, connecting with other members who I feel I've made a bond with  through these forums, and to have a good time. BUT, within all that activity, there is something else that happens.  Something deeper, personal, soothing, validating, and strengthening. It isn't frightening, orchestrated, or uncomfortable.  It just feels good! I know I will leave Montreal feeling different then when I arrived.

I think this gathering is going to be something different for everyone.  I think you all could answer the pm better by explaining why you made the decision to go.  What is "it" to you?

My question to all of you is:

WHY ARE YOU GOING TO MONTREAL?

RAB

Offline The Canuck

Re: What's "IT" all about?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 06:44:24 pm »
WHY ARE YOU GOING TO MONTREAL?

RAB...because this is only two hours drive away from me.  ;D

The Canuck

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 07:26:31 pm »
I needed to pull Rab's leg a little but kidding aside why am I going to Montreal ?

This website has been very helpful to me and started to post in June 2005. Right from the beginning I noticed there were intelligent, caring and funny people in here and needed to come back on a regular basis. I wanted to read what DingoBoi or Matty would write for making me laugh, or simply read Jonathan's articulate thoughts and text. Having said that I don't want anyone else to feel left out but only mentioned the first I noticed when I got here.

I don't know too many posters on a personal level apart from what they wrote/write but they all seem nice and want to pursue this further. This is pretty hard to explain but let's say this is like a magnet and just feel attracted to the core. I have too a good feeling about this, and this is pretty much in my nature to be adventurous anyway. I somewhat regret of not having been part of the Toronto gatering last year, but what is done is done, and not really in my nature either to have regrets.

I know Montreal better than everyone coming although there's a few who experienced Montreal more than once. Yet I never felt obligated to take part but moreover felt the needs to help them enjoying their stays, and be part of it too as I want to meet them ALL. I must add at this point that SAE, my other half in this has worked very hard for making it possible, we both want all the attendees to enjoy themselves and return home with a good feeling.

On a selfish side, I also want to have a good time and intend to do so. I'm really sorry for the lenghty reply but wanted to write what I felt about all this. You don't have much to loose anyway, Montreal is a fun city and surrounded by nice people how can you loose ?

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 09:51:29 pm »
Because I live here, and there is no way you guys are having fun without me in my own city (that I actually haven't had time to see yet).

Because I love you all.
Sae.
Meh.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 10:00:33 pm »
My reasons for going to Montreal are for the same as the reasons I went to Toronto.

I went to Toronto so I could look into the eyes for all those who inspired me, supported me and kept my head above water when all I wanted to do was go under..I wanted to hold on to them and know that it was not just words that connected us.

The same goes for Montreal.. I want to see all my Toronto friends again, I want to meet all those I have come to know over the past year...and to say thank you for the new friendships,the love and support they have given me.

I want to stand beside two of my dearest friends when they take their vows, I want to have fun, I want to relax, I want to see for myself that this is not just a forum but a family.

Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 10:09:32 pm »
I am going to Montreal for all the reasons that Jan mentioned. Plus, I want to hug Ann and Andy and everyone else who participates in the forums to make the world a little better, a little safer, a little easier for those passing through it. I want to see with my own eyes the people whose karmic contributions have so inspired me.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 10:37:32 pm »
Just to meet the people I've come to know over the past year.  I went to Toronto and discovered the joy in meeting different people with different interests from all over and instantly bonding to them.

Sort of like the Saturday night square dance.  You start your prominade with one partner and before you know it you're doing the Do-Si-Do with someone else and going forward and back with still another.  And even though you've never danced before, you're having a blast with a brand new friend.

robert

(god,life is good.)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 10:58:05 pm »
Attending the AM Gathering in Montreal goes much deeper than a want, it's a NEED.

You see, I lived for over 13 years without ANY connection with anyone HIV+, and when I found AIDSMeds, my sense of longing for my 'community' was over.

I NEED to meet those individuals who, for 10 months now, have befriended, buoyed, captivated, charmed, encouraged, inspired and loved me.

They have become my FAMILY. They have helped define my purpose in life.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOWER THEM ALL WITH KISSES AND HUGS!!! :-*

With love,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 05:09:08 pm »
I am going so I can look into the eyes of all of the people who I have come to love so much. I am excited to finally have the chance to wrap my arms around them, and tell them how much I love each, and every one of them.
I have no other expectation but fellowship.
.......and to see a city I might not otherwise visit.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 06:25:26 pm »
I am going so I can look into the eyes of all of the people who I have come to love so much. I am excited to finally have the chance to wrap my arms around them, and tell them how much I love each, and every one of them.
I have no other expectation but fellowship.
.......and to see a city I might not otherwise visit.

What she said...

Dan

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 06:36:50 pm »
To me, it's going to be a family reunion!   I've grown to love everyone as if they were my brothers and sisters (and nieces and nephews).

Oh, and I'm also going to DANCE.   I intend to dance with Danny, Jan, Sue,
Trish, Zephie, Rocky....and anyone else who is so inclined.

Alan (a dancing fool)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 07:48:54 pm »
For us, it's about reuniting with dear old friends and establishing relationships with all of the new ones we have yet to meet.  It's a time to gather and a time to share.

Most importantly, it's a time to remember those dear friends we have all lost and a time to relive the thought of "It's okay.  I understand.  I'm positive, too".

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 01:49:50 am »
For me, I am in a position where I am not able yet to reveal my HIV+ status to family or others.  I have one close friend who now knows and my doctor.  They agree that in my personal circumstances, it is best that I remain discreet.  AMG in Montreal affords me an opportunity to meet and speak with others and talk openlly and honestly about what's happening in my life.  I feel certain I am going to make new friends.  I am really looking forward to this opportunity.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 03:19:11 pm »
I am going to Montreal because I was told I had to go...........JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This "online" AIDSmeds family is one of the most important collection of souls I have ever had the privelege to meet.  Toronto seems like it was just the begining of something very important, and very dear to those of us who went.  I am chomping at the bit to meet some of the members we have not had the joy of meeting, so off to Montreal it is, to bond, kiss, hug, eat, party, shop, stand in awe at the scienery, and just have a wonderful time celebrating life with people I have spiritually met, but have yet to see.

There, I hope that is a good synopsis of what I am going for.

In Love and anticipation.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Trish

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 05:48:05 pm »
HI ALL,

Well, I went to Toronto with no expectations and just wanting to see all the wonderful people I came to know through the forums.  It was actually more of a need.  Like Zeph, I too hadn't related to any other poz people for almost 15 years -- I was drawn to Toronto and needed it badly.

The same holds true for Montreal... I want to hug those I already met in Toronto.  I want to feel those feelings again... the warmth, bonding , strengthening, support, comfort, empowerment and most importantly I want to feel "all the love that radiates from each of you."  Unlike Toronto, I do have one expectation, and that is to add to all those fulfilling feelings with those I haven't met yet, and bond with them too.  I want to extend my AM Family and feel even more love and give my love back.

And yes Alan, I will dance with you (if John allows it... ;) I don't think it will be a problem, right John?) :D

Can't wait to see you all.

All my love,

Trish :-*
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 07:08:21 pm »
I feel smitten................. >:(

Well, honey....Alan is going to be WAY too tired to dance with you when I am done with him

KC

(who is going to make Mr. Bama regret keeping John off his dance card) ;)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 09:02:44 pm »
John,

You're added to the dance card!   I feel like it's prom time.....
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 11:49:24 pm »
i'm just going to see naked dicky waggling in my face at the stripper clubs :)

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 10:42:43 am »
i'm just going to see naked dicky waggling in my face at the stripper clubs

How come I'm not a bit surprised with this one ?  :-X

The Canuck

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 04:47:19 pm »
I am wondering if "waggling" is somehow a combination of "wiggling" and "wagging."  This is what happens when i have to much time on my hands...lol.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 08:07:15 pm »
Wow!  I think Jan pretty much summed it up.  She's a hard act to follow. 
But I'm going to meet those who have inspired, supported and kept me from going off the deep end.  (Not that I didn't a couple of times)  I'm going to "get away" from it all...to see Montreal....and to share some "wonderful moments" with my cyber buddy Marc.  I'm also hoping to find a direction for my activism.  All in all I think its going to be a great weekend.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.