Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:29:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 512
Total: 513

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fever = Meds?  (Read 4390 times)

Offline LordBerners

Fever = Meds?
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:09:06 am »
So I've had a fever of about 38 degrees centigrade (not sure what that means, but its the system they use here), for about 10 days, since a day or two after I began taking meds.  When I went into the doctor they did a chest X-ray and said it was clear, so tuberculosis, etc, is unlikely.  Isn't it likely that it is just caused by the medications?  I went off them for two days, and did feel better - now I'm back just on the Truvada, leaving the Sustiva alone, and the fever is back and strong.

On the Truvada alone I find I'm managing to eat a little, but food still tastes so strange.  I wish I knew someone who could confirm my tastes - like 'is this really incredibly salty, or is it just my imagination?'  Between that and constantly sending every meal back 1/3 eaten I feel like a crazy man.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Fever = Meds?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:36:18 am »
Have you spoken with your doctor about your persistent fever? Before you make any (mis)interpretations about the cause(s) and changes in your medications, that seems to me to the be the first place to start.

Keep us posted, please.

Andy Velez

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:38:41 am »
Have you spoken with your doctor about your persistent fever? Before you make any (mis)interpretations about the cause(s) and changes in your medications, that seems to me to the be the first place to start.

Yes, as I said in the introductory post, I went to see my doctor they did a chest x-ray and it was clear, apparentely eliminating a lot of things.  They really had no idea what it was, saying it could be the meds or something else.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:41:15 am »
OK. Thanks for the clarification. It's still kind of vague to me and perhaps to you as well as to what to do about the meds. Were you given any specific directions?

Any other symptoms besides fever?

Andy Velez

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:50:34 am »
OK. Thanks for the clarification. It's still kind of vague to me and perhaps to you as well as to what to do about the meds. Were you given any specific directions?

Any other symptoms besides fever?

Yeah, the primary one is I have hardly been able to eat any food since I began taking the meds(lost like 12 pounds and feel soooo weak) - they leaned toward blaming this on the sustiva, but said it could be elements of truvada too.  They said lots and lots of Thai patients get severe anemia on this combo.

Their only recomendations were to try to take it anyway as 'the other options are worse'.   

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »
We changed Mini from Susteva to Viramune (unsuccessfully) and the first thing that went was her appetite.  Kid could eat us out of house and home, started the new med and she barely ate at all.  She also complained about a headache, which she's never had before.  Her doc said it was probably due to the meds and could take a while for her body to adjust. 

Of course, then she developed an allergy and we quit the med...but that's for another thread. ;)

Hope you feel better very soon.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 07:01:12 pm »
If the symptoms got better on stopping Truvada and started again on re-taking this drug, its a good bet the this is related to the Truvada, probably the tenofovir it contains. And possibly including a bad effect on your kidneys. The symptoms you describe would be mostly consistent with this possibility but are not conclusive in themselves -- so please go get your kidneys checked. 

Anaemia from Truvada would be a rather serious (but very rare in Western patients) kidney-related event.

There are other drugs. While they too may have side effects, they may not be this bad.

An x-ray is not diagnostic for TB, especially TB outside the lungs.

- matt
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:42:56 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 01:45:09 am »
If the symptoms got better on stopping Truvada and started again on re-taking this drug, its a good bet the this is related to the Truvada, probably the tenofovir it contains.

Well, they are still a shadow of the severity they were before when I was on the Sustiva as well.

And possibly including a bad effect on your kidneys. The symptoms you describe would be mostly consistent with this possibility but are not conclusive in themselves -- so please go get your kidneys checked.

Well, I wonder why my doctors didn't suggest this?  Or do it while I was there.  They seem somewhat less than competent.  I won't be able to go back for weeks.

I guess being study docs they just want people to try to keep getting the free meds and stay in the study, but sometimes quality of life matters too.

Anaemia from Truvada would be a rather serious (but very rare in Western patients) kidney-related event.

Well I have no idea if I have 'anemia', or even what that is precisely.  I just couldn't eat, lost a lot of weigh quickly, and feel very weak.

There are other drugs. While they too may have side effects, they may not be this bad.

An x-ray is not diagnostic for TB, especially TB outside the lungs.

Thanks.. didn't know that about TB.  I think the best thing is to drop the medications for at least a couple months, or maybe a lot longer, try to recover my strength, and start again when on holiday (it is not a good idea to begin these side effects when trying to work, not to mention ones colleagues become suspicious when one suddenly becomes very listless, ill, and shockingly gaunt apparently overnight!).

Offline Jacques

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 02:13:26 am »
Milord,
Could we know what your numbers are (Cd4, Vl) ?

Jacques
Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 02:38:48 am »
Milord,
Could we know what your numbers are (Cd4, Vl) ?

Jacques

Sure, I have had justtwo sets of numbers, and if I recall correctly the first set around 6 months ago were 300 CD4 16.5% VL 750,000.

Three months ago - 304 CD4, I don't remember the percentage, and VL 100,000.

So basically the same, high viral load.

Offline Jacques

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »
Ok. I was wandering that perhaps an IRIS (immune reconstitution syndrome) could be related to your symptoms. But your CD4 at 304 put you out of this eventuality.

By the way, is there a possibility that you could see  an other doctor an have a second opinion?

Jacques
Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 02:17:30 am »
Thanks Jacques, yes I figured that my immune system was still a bit to healthy to be reconsituting itself like happens to some people. 

The docs I'm seeing are my second group, and they are better than the first, which were at a very mercenary expensive foreigner-oriented private hospital.  Overal I have to admit I feel much more comfortable with foreign doctors for serious things here in Thailand, and that isn't always easy to find.

To update, yesterday I experienced a period of a few hours when I felt normal!  The fever broke, normal appetite.  Wow, I felt like a human being!  I was in a big dirty bus station in Bangkok when it happened but the place looked beautiful.

Today I feel a little worse, but I'm pretty well convinced now that it was the Sustiva that made eating so difficult, not anything in the Truvada combo, which I'm still taking for a few more days.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 01:29:15 pm »
LordBerners, one time in my life, long time ago, I went to the McDo and ordered a conventional meal.
I found the french fries so salty and with a so bad taste that I goes back to the counter and said:

- Have you taste the french fries before serving them ??
- The guy served me a new portion. I tried them again in front of him and still found them extremely salty and bad tasting.
He tried, and said:
- They are perfectly normal. Another employee tried and said the same.

For a week, it seems that I have lost the tasting sens.
I was not poz at this time, and every thing come back alone to normal few days after.
True story.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:36:38 pm by John2038 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.