Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:27:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 625
Total: 627

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weird situation (for me)  (Read 7812 times)

Offline Rhaegar

Weird situation (for me)
« on: February 18, 2012, 03:20:07 pm »
On Superbowl Sunday I met up with friends for the game, or at least until the end of halftime. Once Madonna finished doing her thing, the consensus was to go out to a bar or two. I met this guy that was out with us. He's the roommate of 2 of my friends that were also there that night. Throughout the night he and I were flirting and kissing at whatever bar we were in at the time. It was pretty much a given that he was coming back to my place. Before that happened, I made it a point to let him know that I was HIV+. He said that he already knew, and that he was cool with it.

We fooled around that night, a bit drunk, but penetration wasn't involved. The next morning, I wake up because he's dressed and ready to leave. So I say goodbye, and he pretty much runs out of my place without even giving me his number, which I thought odd. I look in the mirror and saw that I had dried blood beneath my one nostril. I go back and look at my pillow, and there's a small spot of blood on it. I had a nosebleed while sleeping. The dry forced air heating is murder on my nostrils, so this happens from time to time.  Clearly, I need a humidifier.

So, I imagine that he freaked out about that. I messaged him on Facebook (easy enough since we had mutual friends) and asked if everything was okay since he rushed out. He said that everything was fine, and that he thought he had to be at work or something.

Fast forward to last night. I find out that he had gone to a clinic to get tested, and decided to start prophylactic treatment for HIV.

I have no idea how to feel about this. I disclosed to him, and he knew beforehand from his roommates. I can sorta understand it, but why say you're cool with it but then freak out like this?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  It makes me want to just stick with other poz guys, and not both dealing with negative guys.  :/

-Kevin
05/19/2011: Diagnosed.  CD4 159   VL 284,000.
04/29/2013:  CD4 789,   VL <20

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
Re: Weird situation (for me)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »
Hey Kevin,

I can understand why this may be weird and mildly upsetting for you.

I think you should just tell this guy that he doesn't need PeP at all as he was at no risk whatsoever but if still wants to go ahead then that's his business.

Also, I just hope you don't feel guilty or anything about it since you didn't do anything wrong or anything of the sort. Just forget it.

It seems to me this guy thought he was cool about fooling around with poz guys but he's obviously not. His problem, not yours. Don't let it get to you.

Good luck

Edit: He went to get tested like right after the incident??? He's obviously clueless. LOL
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:06:11 pm by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »
Send him to AM I INFECTED and let us deal with him.

He sounds absolutely delicious.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Rhaegar

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »
Thank you, spacebarsux.  I did text message (when he eventually text messaged me with his number) and let him know that I've been undetectable for nearly 2 months, and that if I wanted to talk I was open to it.  I doubt it will make a difference though. 

Send him to AM I INFECTED and let us deal with him.

He sounds absolutely delicious.

How evil.   ;D

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:27:57 pm »
Throughout the night he and I were flirting and kissing at whatever bar we were in at the time. It was pretty much a given that he was coming back to my place.

Ah, public displays of affection!  How cute!  I'm rather fond of them myself (insofar as I can recall -- it's been a long time for me).

Before that happened, I made it a point to let him know that I was HIV+. He said that he already knew, and that he was cool with it.

Good for your for disclosing up-front!   

We fooled around that night, a bit drunk, but penetration wasn't involved. The next morning, I wake up because he's dressed and ready to leave. So I say goodbye, and he pretty much runs out of my place without even giving me his number, which I thought odd.

"OMG, look at the time!  Gotta go!"   Haven't we all used that excuse at least once?   ;)

I look in the mirror and saw that I had dried blood beneath my one nostril. I go back and look at my pillow, and there's a small spot of blood on it. I had a nosebleed while sleeping. The dry forced air heating is murder on my nostrils, so this happens from time to time.  Clearly, I need a humidifier.

Nosebleeds definitely happen -- especially in the winter.  Doesn't sound like it involved excessive bleeding.

So, I imagine that he freaked out about that. I messaged him on Facebook (easy enough since we had mutual friends) and asked if everything was okay since he rushed out. He said that everything was fine, and that he thought he had to be at work or something.

Yep, sounds like he freaked out!   Kudos to you for following-up with him, because it's possible there could have been some other explanation.  But his response doesn't sound very forth-coming.

Fast forward to last night. I find out that he had gone to a clinic to get tested, and decided to start prophylactic treatment for HIV.

I would have loved to hear the story he told his physician to get the prophylactic treatment!  Oh, the drama....

I have no idea how to feel about this. I disclosed to him, and he knew beforehand from his roommates. I can sorta understand it, but why say you're cool with it but then freak out like this?

Lots of neg guys *say* they are cool with poz guys -- until it comes to having sex with a poz guy.  People think they have to be PC, when what they need to be are honest with themselves and with others.  Plus, that evening both he and were under the influence of all those endorphins and hormone rushing around.  Remember?    :-*

You did make an overture to him, asking him if he was OK, and offering to talk.  It's up to him now to be mature and to tell you if he wasn't.  You deserve someone who can talk openly about difficult subjects like this, not just run away.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  It makes me want to just stick with other poz guys, and not both dealing with negative guys.  :/

This is one reason why many poz guys prefer to be with other poz guys. 

Remember what spacebarsux said above:  You didn't do anything wrong, you don't need to feel guilty, and you don't need to apologize.  He has the problem, not you!

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »

and let him know that I've been undetectable for nearly 2 months

It wouldn't have mattered if your VL was five million - he still wasn't at risk from of blood on your nose/face or pillow. Or HIS pillow, for that matter. Or face.

The doctor he saw must have been as clueless as he was - otherwise he never would have been prescribed PEP. No way.

Yeah, send him over to Am I. Jonathan and I can divvy him up for breakfast. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »

Edit: He went to get tested like right after the incident??? He's obviously clueless. LOL

It's actually standard protocol before PEP is prescribed, in order to rule out a pre-existing infection.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:03:10 am »
He may have exaggerated to the doc about what happened, and that is why the doc prescribed PEP.  I would hope the doc didn't do it for a bloody nose.  Was he so intoxicated that he thought you guys had bareback sex?  I'm sorry he ran out on you like that.  I know many guys often like to hit the road fast afterwards, but this is obviously more hurtful. 

You did everything you were suppose to do.  It is his problem.  I hope he isn't using PEP as prevention.  I know there wasn't an issue with you, but I wonder whether he does this often--possibly barebacking with guys and then running for PEP.  But, not your problem.   

Offline contagion

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »
Thinking from his point of view I could see why he would be freaked out - considering the fact that he seems to be ignorant about how transmission occurs. I don't think you should take it to heart and move on. If he really liked you despite the silly incident, he would message you back. As unlikely as that is, I hope it works out for you!
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline Rhaegar

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 03:13:40 pm »
The only reason I cared this much is because we have mutual friends.  He seems to be pretty immature from what I know of him.  So, if anything, it's his loss.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:38:57 pm »
Based on your post you sound like someone who has it together, is mature, and is comfortable with themselves.m

He doesn't.  It probably wouldn't have worked out anyway.  There's plenty of fish in sea!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 05:07:21 pm »
That is unfortunate sorry that happened, but the reaction isn't surprising.  Their are very few negative guys that can deal with being with a poz guy sexually.  I was that way until it happened to me, sorry to say.

I try to keep most of my sexual experiences with other pozzies  it just seems easier for me to not have to deal with these type of issues/reactions.  I know that your experience is a little different.  I'm not a big condom fan either, i know that is shocking to some, but hey it is what it is, being truthful.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 06:15:17 pm »
That is unfortunate sorry that happened, but the reaction isn't surprising.  Their are very few negative guys that can deal with being with a poz guy sexually. 

That has not been my experience. All my long term and most of my short term relationships have been serodiscordant.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »
That has not been my experience. All my long term and most of my short term relationships have been serodiscordant.

Same here.  And I think I've only had one openly poz trick.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »

Same here, at least my current LTR is, Bob has been my 1st and 18yrs. later here we still are  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:11:58 am »

So, if anything, it's his loss.

Absolutely!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 09:41:38 am »
I dunno what you guys are talking about.  At least here in Louisiana there is so much HIV-phobia as to be ridiculous.  Nobody is ok with it unless you go to where New Orleans where everyone is poz already anyway seems like.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »
Nobody is ok with it unless you go to where New Orleans where everyone is poz already anyway seems like.

What's that mean in non-Cajun standard English?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AdonisSMU

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:40 am »
Many neg gay guys like to think they are progressive or are okay with poz guys but they dont want to be seen as having dated or had sex with a poz guy.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:37 am »
What's that mean in non-Cajun standard English?

Please refer to the "I'm Tripping!" thread.

That makes no sense even to me.  Also that's a good example of the confusion/fogginess problem sustiva induces.  Yes, I am shamelessly blaming my HIV Meds.

Offline AdonisSMU

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:55 am »
On Superbowl Sunday I met up with friends for the game, or at least until the end of halftime. Once Madonna finished doing her thing, the consensus was to go out to a bar or two. I met this guy that was out with us. He's the roommate of 2 of my friends that were also there that night. Throughout the night he and I were flirting and kissing at whatever bar we were in at the time. It was pretty much a given that he was coming back to my place. Before that happened, I made it a point to let him know that I was HIV+. He said that he already knew, and that he was cool with it.

We fooled around that night, a bit drunk, but penetration wasn't involved. The next morning, I wake up because he's dressed and ready to leave. So I say goodbye, and he pretty much runs out of my place without even giving me his number, which I thought odd. I look in the mirror and saw that I had dried blood beneath my one nostril. I go back and look at my pillow, and there's a small spot of blood on it. I had a nosebleed while sleeping. The dry forced air heating is murder on my nostrils, so this happens from time to time.  Clearly, I need a humidifier.

-Kevin
I think it's good to get to know someone early. Now you know what kind of person you were dealing with. You can let them go. They'll be back or attempt to be back rest assured. Thats when you get to say drop dead.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
I see the flip side to this coin. Maybe this guy isn't the one night stand kind of guy. Further complicate that by him knowing you were positive. Imagine waking up after a night of drinking and being afraid because you slept over at a guys house. Add to that the knowledge that his partner that evening was known to him as being positive. Maybe he was just scared. And for good reason. HIV is scary. We have all learned to cope because we were forced to. I think you should give him some space and accept that this perhaps had little to do with you, and more so was an internal shame that he felt for his own actions. I hope you can remain in contact with him, and hopefully educate him a bit more about his actual risks in this situation. Afterall that one night together you both were on the same page.... perhaps you will be again. Good luck!
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Rhaegar

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »
I have reach out to him.  He wants to get together this week to talk, so things won't be awkward with our mutual friends.  I'm all for it, but he keeps flaking out. 

From what my friends (his roommates) tell me, he has a revolving door of guys.  He also doesn't strike me as the relationship type.

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 12:08:44 am »
Still, it might be a good idea to talk things over with him.
And if it's just for your peace of mind...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.