Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:16:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 293
Total: 294

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Southernness  (Read 8401 times)

Offline bluelove

Southernness
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:33:04 pm »
I know some of you are from the south.Pleae don't hate me for posting this. Putting on my riot gear to be ready for the fall out....

Southernness

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.
_____

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."
_____

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
_____

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, ... as in: "Going to town, be back directly."
_____

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.
_____

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.
_____

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin! 
_____

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.
_____

Only a Southerner, both knows and understands, the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash. 
_____

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
_____

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.
_____

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, ... and when we're "in line," .... we talk to everybody!
_____

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage. 
_____

In the South, y'all is singular, . all y'all is plural.
_____

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.
_____

Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.
_____

When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!
_____

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.
_____

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say,"Bless her heart" ... and go your own way. 
_____

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!
_____
And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, ... bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!
_____

And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a long time, all y'all need a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads "I ain't from the South, but I got here as fast as I could."
____

SOUTHERN WOMEN

Southern women appreciate their natural assets: Clean skin. A winning smile. That unforgettable Southern drawl.

Southern women know their manners: "Yes, ma'am." "Yes, sir." "Why, no, Billy!"

Southern women have a distinct way with fond expressions : "Y'all come back!" "Well, bless your heart." "Drop by when you can." "How's your Momma?"

Southern women know their summer weather report: Humidity Humidity Humidity

Southern women know their vacation spots:The beach The beach The beach

Southern women know the joys of June, July, and August: Colorful hi-heel sandals Strapless sun dresses Iced sweet tea with mint

Southern women know everybody's first name: Honey Darlin' Shugah

Southern women know the movies that speak to their hearts: Fried Green Tomatoes Driving Miss Daisy Steel Magnolias Gone With The Wind

Southern women know their religions: Baptist Methodist Football

Southern women know their country breakfasts:  Red-eye gravy Grits Eggs ! Country ham Mouth-watering homemade biscuits with momma's homemade jelly

Southern women know their cities dripping with Southern charm: Charleston (Chawl'stn)  Savannah (S'vanah) Fort Worth (Foat Wuth) New Orleans (N'awlins) Atlanta (Addlanna) Tylertown ( T-Town)

Southern women know their elegant gentlemen: Men in uniform. Men in tuxedos Rhett Butler, of course!

Southern girls know their prime real estate: The Mall The Country Club The Beauty Salon

Southern girls know the four deadly sins: Having bad hair and nails Having bad manners Cooking bad food Wearing too much makeup in the summer

Southern girls know men may come and go, but friends are fahevah

Offline Basquo

Re: Southernness
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:45:54 pm »
For the most part, pretty much on the mark!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 08:56:34 pm »
Southern women appreciate their natural assets: Clean skin. A winning smile. That unforgettable Southern drawl.

"After all, a woman's charm is 50 percent illusion"  :-*
 -Blanche duBois, from A Streetcar Named Desire

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 09:01:49 pm »

Girl, I am proud of my southern fried roots...I also enjoy being from the south.

H ;D

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 10:28:32 pm »
I'm fixing to drink my chocolate milk and go to bed.....

goodnight y'all !
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline tnboy

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 12:34:18 am »

Well Doggy!!

I reckon this bout says it all.

Y'all have a good one, you hear now! :D

( don't even try the spell check, it aint gonna help nun)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 08:45:01 am »
I aint had this much fun since the Hogs ate my little brother.

Lwood
who is fixin up a mess of greens and a Brisket for the 4th.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 10:36:43 pm »
HEY!  I resemble those remarks!  >:(  ;)  :D
Member since March 2004

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 10:42:54 pm »
I aint had this much fun since the Hogs ate my little brother.

Lwood
who is fixin up a mess of greens and a Brisket for the 4th.

A brisket? Get a rope!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 11:24:44 pm »
LOL..To steal TedEBearNC's post...I resemble those remarks more than id like to admit.

Teresa ;D
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 11:36:12 pm »
I can identify with all the comments above. I was listening to a recording of my voice the other day and I don't know what happened to my Southern accent. I was raised outside of Asheville, NC and people there have a thick accent. I only lived outside of N.C. for 3 years but somewhere along the line my accent has been watered down to nothing. I'm no longer colorful. :(

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 11:50:28 pm »
Ford, you're very colorful!   Also very easy on the eyes, and I'm sure you're easy on the ears as well.

I do tend to have that S-L-O-W Southern drawl, ask anyone who has spoken to me....picture a turtle crawling through some sticky molasses......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 08:54:15 am »
 :)

Being a BIG FAN, of the "Golden Girls. I am reminded of some of the hilarius conversations that take place between the charactors.

There was a time once, when Dorothy was kind of slamming Blanche, because of her "southern type" comments  that she was making.

Blanche replied, well Dororthy, we all can't be from a place as socially acceptable as "Brooklyn"   :D

There was another time when Blanche was attempting to join the Daughters of the Confederacy. After researching here ancestry, they refused to let her in.

Seems she had a "Feldman from Buffalo" in her past. After refusing her in, Blanche replied, "oh get over it, you lost the war"  :D

I love watching those reruns. Gives me my much needed laugh everyday !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Teresa

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 09:14:41 am »
I love watching reruns of them too...I just love Sophia!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 09:56:33 am »
'Sweet Milk'  was a new one to me,   Im also adding sweet potato Pie to the menu. WITH bourbon whipped cream.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Teresa

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 10:21:14 am »
My granny who was 94 when she died 3 yrs ago always called milk sweet milk.
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 03:29:46 pm »
Funny stuff, BlueLove!  ;D
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bluelove

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 03:48:30 pm »
Glad you all  liked it was worried you were going to lynch me.

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 01:37:21 am »
How nice, how very very nice!

I was rolling in tears. Thanks!
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 10:02:54 am »
Don't forget that the tooth brush was invented in the South.  Anywhere else it would have been called a "teeth brush."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.