Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:27:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are microwave ovens dangerous for your health?  (Read 8631 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Are microwave ovens dangerous for your health?
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:30:15 am »
Well my microwave oven broke and I am thinking just to use the stove for my cooking for I hear that the microwave ovens are bad for your health.  Is this true?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Are microwave ovens dangerous for your health?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:45:43 am »
No.

There is no risk from the machine. (meaning its not nuking your brain by being in your house, etc etc.)

There are plenty of people who believe food cooked in a microwave has less or no nutritional value.  Other people believe in more esoteric explanation why food cooked in a microwave is dangerous (spiritual stuff....). 

You want to dive into food fascisms and food religions and food phobias etc etc etc, have at it, there a plenty to go around and keep an OCD person occupied for ages.  And in the process fill other people's lives with irritating complications, ignorance, fears and judgements. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:55:20 am »
Of course they're bad for you if you're fixing the wrong types of food in them. ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Growler

“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:28:36 pm »
The first Radar Ranges were probably not great for you.  GE keeps telling me they're safe.  Having said that, I try to not stand in front of it, peeping inside, while my popcorn is popping.  TVs put off radiation, especially older ones.  They say my granite countertops are putting off radiation--more than your average object. 

Now, I had an old microwave once and the door was cracked.  I was skeerd of that. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »
God, really?  I've been using microwaves for years, and I also stand in front of them when the food is cooking.  No issues.  Who knows, I may radiate when I die, but I'm not worried about it right now.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:31:29 am »
Have you heard about checking your microwave oven for radiation leaks by placing your cell phone inside and dialing the number?  If the cell phone rings, the microwave oven has leaks.

Urban legend?

Link:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_central_southern_az/other/urban-legend:-does-your-microwave-leak-radiation
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:12:32 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:54 pm »
Have you heard about checking your microwave oven for radiation leaks by placing your cell phone inside and dialing the number?  If the cell phone rings, the microwave oven has leaks.

Urban legend?

Link:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_central_southern_az/other/urban-legend:-does-your-microwave-leak-radiation

Interesting the news station's phone did not ring.  I went to try this, but realized I am home alone.  I had the phone in the microwave.  Perhaps the radiation has affected me.

Anyway, I had a friend call me.  It rang once.  He said it ranged several times and then sounded like I answered and hung up.  I may have a small leak, if this is scientific.  I will try other attempts once Brian gets home.

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:04:55 pm »

I'm sure the old Radar Ranges were way safer than the plastic crap we buy now  :o

Food sure tastes better reheated on the stove . 

The Micro is probably the one kitchen gizmo I could easily do with out  ;)

Weasel , the gourmet cook   :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 02:12:19 am »
We tried this a few times at home tonight.  Our phones rang, even though mine only rang once earlier.  I guess we have a leak..lol.  My friend put his in his microwave and it immediately went to no service.  It would not ring.  This is actually interesting.  He put it in the fridge, with thick doors, and it rang.  So, there must be something to this. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:13 am »
I've heard this for years now.  It never made sense that you shouldn't be able to hear your phone ring yet can hear other things...like popcorn?

My cell phone won't ring in the microwave but then again, I have to contort myself against one outside wall to get any signal here in rural man's land.

Several years ago, we got my grandmother her first microwave and she refused to use it.  She swore they weren't good to have around.  This from a lady who ate a pound of bacon daily and dipped bread in hot bacon grease.

My other grandmother doesn't have one either.  In her mid 90's, I doubt she'll adapt to this new technology.  We had to replace her regular stove and my father bought her a nice one but it was digital.  We ended up replacing it with the most basic model available.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:38 pm »
I really only use mine for a few things -- obviously reheating left-overs (though I do that on the stove more), but a microwave is great for popcorn and baked potatoes.

I was one of the last holdouts about microwaved popcorn until about two years ago. I used to have a dedicated pot for making popcorn on the stove, with real melted butter and I would toss it in a bowl like you do for salad. And then I used that special fine-grade "Popcorn Salt". It was delish but a bit of a process.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:16:11 pm »
i've been microwave free for 3 years now. Love it.
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Growler

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 03:03:14 pm »
I really only use mine for a few things -- but a microwave is great for popcorn

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/microwave-popcorn/
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »
Do you know what a "hot jupiter" is? It's when you have your sex partner dress up like a bull, warm up a dildo in the microwave, and then have your anus ravaged.

Also, cocks
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Growler

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »
Do you know what a "hot jupiter" is? It's when you have your sex partner dress up like a bull, warm up a dildo in the microwave, and then have your anus ravaged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter
wikopedialies! ;)

Offline weasel

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 06:43:06 pm »

Also, cocks

I would settle for a  cold  Jupiter with a friendly smile    ::)

Weasel ,   In a horrid mode of mind   >:(
" Live and let Live "

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 04:03:04 pm »
site bombed again>>>

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30:45 pm »
No they are not dangerous, not even for people with pace makers.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 05:35:33 pm »
No they are not dangerous, not even for people with pace makers.

Consider this: Is microwave cooking better than or worse than stove top cooking?  Which would you prefer?

Offline mecch

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 05:44:04 am »
Consider this: Is microwave cooking better than or worse than stove top cooking?  Which would you prefer?

Thats not exactly a logical question.  There are some things microwaves do well - as for heating, or for cooking, or as a matter of taste, or for convenience.  There are some things that stove tops do well.  Its not a universal either or. Not one or the other.

I still use my ovens broiler, too. And sometimes I barbecue. And sometimes thats on gas and sometimes on charcoal.

Etc etc etc
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 09:10:17 am »
Thats not exactly a logical question.  There are some things microwaves do well - as for heating, or for cooking, or as a matter of taste, or for convenience.  There are some things that stove tops do well.  Its not a universal either or. Not one or the other.

I still use my ovens broiler, too. And sometimes I barbecue. And sometimes thats on gas and sometimes on charcoal.

Etc etc etc
Well I like cooking on the stove because of I like watching the boiling, the frying and baking.

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »
Well I like cooking on the stove because of I like watching the boiling, the frying and baking.

I think we all like the taste and smell of stove top cooking of most things.

And baking, well that makes the most delicious aromas, at least for inside. :)

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 06:08:48 pm »
I think we all like the taste and smell of stove top cooking of most things.

And baking, well that makes the most delicious aromas, at least for inside. :)
especially in the winter time.

Offline ds4146

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 08:40:24 pm »
Yes they are dangerous and nasty! How many of you look up at the top inside? Ugh. The one at work has stalactites.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 08:44:18 pm »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.