Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:55:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 198
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 8 weeks test  (Read 7491 times)

Offline kate25

8 weeks test
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:04:06 pm »
hello everyone

i got tested and the result was negative, but it was 8 weks after the incident. ive read here, plus my doctor told me that the result is like 90% reliable but of course advised to get tested again after the period of 4 weeks, as the result is 100% sure after 12 weeks. i am still worried...my question is about the connection between antibodies and p24....ive heard that p24 occurs before the antibodies but how long? ive also heard that p24 can only be found somewhere between 1-4 weeks after exposure to hiv...is it possible that there stil arent any antibodies in my blood, but also p24 is not detectable? or that antibodies are starting to produce so p24 dissapeared but there still arent enough antibodies to be detected?  i hope i make sense :)

im also wondering if p24 occurs with possible symptoms? im ossbesive, but a few days after the test i noticed swollen glands and slight cold....i know these may be just out of anxiety but i still would like to find out answers to my questions....am i really 90% sure i am negative? doesi it always happen that people are positive after 12 weeks even though being negative after 8 weeks? i know i sound paranoic, im just worried so thats why im here id really be grateful for you answers

thanks and if my english is not perfect i apologise - im Polish :)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:12:29 pm by kate25 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: 8 weeks test
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:08:53 pm »
Symptoms or the lack of symptoms is not an indication of HIV infections. P24 test is good from 1-4 weeks post exposure it has a very short window period. There is a period of time between when antigens are not detected to when antibodies are detected by the antibody tests. Retest at 3 months post exposure and obtain your conclusive result.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:17:28 pm »
Kate,

What, exactly, was your "incident"? Unless it was unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you're most likely worrying over nothing.

The p24 test is only useful in the first few weeks. As for the antibody test, the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. A six week negative must be confirmed at three months, but is unlikely to change.

Your eight week negative is also unlikely to change, but if you have actually had a risk, you need to confirm at three months.

If you want further information on the tests, Read the Welcome Thread (you should have read it before posting) and click on the Testing Lesson link provided there.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kate25

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 03:16:59 pm »
thanks very much for both replies

Ann, the condom slipped off while we were having sex...that's my incident, the problem is he is rather casual sex partner , i dont know (or i dont trust) his sexual past plus hes got a lot of tatoos thats why im worried. i never have sex without a condom but unfortunately the accident took place.

another question comes to my mind, about a month or two before the incident i had been taking some drugs that help to prevent flu or casual cold i think they are called drugs that strenghten the immune system (not sure of proper english name) anyway one can buy them without any prescription, you take them in order to prevent illnesses during winter or autumn season, i was wondering if they could have influenced my immune system in a way that for example antibodies develop later than 6 or 8 weeks, because my immune system is stornger??? no idea if there could be any connection? ive read that in some people the antibodies develop later because they organisms are stronger or more resistant?

and yes ive read about the tests here, i really like the site thank u for being here :)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:18:36 pm by kate25 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 03:29:32 pm »
The medication you took will not effect your test response and/or antibody production.

Offline kate25

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 03:34:41 pm »
thanks...thats a relief its so much going on in my mind now:)

Offline kate25

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »
hello its me again, i tested negative after 8 , it is almost like 14 weeks now after the incident , but i still havent taken the test...
 it is said that while (for example)having an unprotected sex with hiv positive male , it is like 1% chance of getting infected is it true? i do not know if the guy i had sex with is infected, hopefully not. plus i had protected sex, just the condom fell off and stayed inside me for a few days, if there was no ejaculation during that intercourse, does t llower my risk or is the level of risk the same , given that some pre-cum got in me?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:37:58 pm »
You can contract HIV on the first exposure, don't base numbers to evailuate your risk. You test and collect your results. Numbers are guessing games and are not meant to be used to determine ones risk. Get your 3 month test and that test will be conclusive.

Offline kate25

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 12:47:09 pm »
thanks for your quick reply. i know i can get it at 1st or any time, just wondering if the chance really is that low.

and again, my question about the intercourse with no ejaculation just possible pre-cum, does it lower the risk?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:28 pm »
The bottom line in this situation is that with a negative at 8 weeks you are very likely going to continue to test negative, for several well grounded reasons.

You were protected until the condom slipped off. It was a single possible exposure. HIV is not easy to transmit and as you have pointed out ejaculation didn't happen. That lowers the risk still further.

The average time to seroconversion iss 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do withing 4-6 weeks after an exposure.

Taking all of that into consideration I expect your 13 week test result to be a happy one. Meantime get busy with other things and the waiting time will pass much more easily.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline kate25

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 02:23:14 pm »
thank you VERY MUCH for your replies, that really helps ... ill let u know when im done with the test
thanks again

take care

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »
OK. Good luck to you. We'll be waiting to hear what expect will be your good news.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline kate25

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:36:04 am »
hello guys, i still havent got tested for the second time, just waiting for the good moment it is really hard for me to just go and do it....:) i try to stay calm but there is one thing on my mind i need to ask you about. i know that hiv can transmit through tiny open wounds in the vagina that may be caused during the intercouse. i felt some slight pain inside while having sex...so i expect there could be some abrasion. if yes, does it mean that i was at real risk? my point is if infected cum (or possible pre-cum in my case) has contact with those wounds does it mean one gets infected or is it still not 100% ? i know that hiv is not easy to transmit, but does it have a lot to do with those abrasions?

thanks for being here :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 09:58:18 am »
Feeling pain doesn't mean there was an abrasion. It could have been from movement or from the man's size, among other things. We've told you what we think of your situation. We don't get into guessing.

You're spending way too much energy speculating and coming up with more scenarios. Given your previous negative we expect that you will get tested and put a happy ending to this worrying.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.