HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Fever & Profuse Night Sweats

(1/2) > >>

Dave1234:
I am very concerned as I had unprotected receptive anal sex m2m in Sept. 07 with a guy I met online. I don't know his HIV status. I know it was a stupid mistake. I am very worried because about a week after the encounter, I developed a fever of 100 degrees F and the very same night I started with severe drenching night sweats.  Yes these were the real deal. Soaked bed all the way through. Head to toe sweats soaking pillow, bed sheets right thru to the mattress. Could not sleep in the bed. I was afraid to go to bed at night. This happened every single night after I fell asleep for about 2 weeks complete with fever. Then the fever went away and the sweats started to fade. I should also note that it was not flu season yet and I had no signs at all of a cold with sniffles or congestion or anything like that. Just fever, sweats, nasua, and some muscle aches in my legs. I am a person that never gets sick and I was very sick! Never had anything like this happen to me in my life. Please understand my concern over this! Given the high risk that I know I had, and a fever with severe night sweats, I have a real concern. Now the confusion for me is that I tested with oraquick rapid tests at a clinic at the 3 and 6 month marks after exposure and both tests came up negative. I am happy for the neg results but I am having great diffuculty believing the tests because of how sick I got and the timing of when I got sick and because I know I had a real high risk. Is it possible that I may not for some reason have developed antibodies to hiv? Should I consider a viral load test to make sure? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thank You.

Ann:
Dave,

You're conclusively hiv negative. Your previous illness could have been anything as many illnesses cause fever and sweating. Whatever it was, it wasn't hiv.

I don't recommend viral load testing. It's not approved for diagnostic purposes as it has a high rate of false positives. You're just going to have to trust the antibody test.

I suggest working with a therapist towards accepting your negative status and moving on with your life.

Ann

Dave1234:
Thank you for your reply Ann. I am just so scared over this because I know I had a real risk, and got sick a week after like I have never been before. I have never had bed soaking night sweats in my life...and especially with fever too. And it was not flu season. Are the rapid tests truly reliable? Should I get a lab based ELISA done? Thanks.

Andy Velez:
You have happily reliably tested negative for HIV. As for the symptoms you're concerned about, discuss them with your doctor. You don't have to do anymore HIV testing.

However, you do need to learn from this experience. You're fortunate to have scooted by safely this time. Remember that everytime you have unprotected intercourse, whether insertive or receptive, you are putting your life at risk. You can have as much sex as you like and with as many partners as you want regardless of their HIV status. Just do it the safer way which means the insertive partner must ALWAYS wear a condom.No exceptions.

This is NOT an HIV situation and no further testing is necessary.

Cheers,

Dave1234:
Can you guys explain how a standard ELISA is read for the results vs rapid test which is just lines? Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version