Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:11:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 229
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV positive celebrities.  (Read 40905 times)

Offline poz40

HIV positive celebrities.
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »
I'm sure Magic Johnson is not the only HIV possitive celebrity around. I wish more celebs will be brave enough to come out and put a face to this disease.
It sure will help a great deal in fighting stigma.

Offline richie

Re: HIV positive celebrities.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HIV-positive_people

Here's a list from Wikipedia -- accuracy questionable, but it's used often as a source.  Some living, most have died. It's educational, to say the least.  I had no idea Isaac Asimov had HIV!

Best,

--Rich

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HIV-positive_people

Here's a list from Wikipedia -- accuracy questionable, but it's used often as a source.  Some living, most have died. It's educational, to say the least.  I had no idea Isaac Asimov had HIV!

Best,

--Rich

O NOES! TEH LIST! :)

MtD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »
Well it aint HIV, but Pamela Anderson was open about having Hepatitis C.
That was pretty big of her.

I dunno how I feel about the value of celebrities being HIV+.  I think it depends - what kind of celebrity?  If I were a big name actor or actress, and still working, I'm not sure it would be that artistically shrewd to let the public in on this part of my personal life.  Maybe if it were a real outlaw outlandish type, like a Mickey Rourke, it wouldn't hurt the actor's ability to get work (cause the roles are already kinda "out there") and the public to enjoy the "acting" without this fact overshadowing.  Maybe a real modern hipster type could pull it off, career wise. 

But I do agree - it would certainly be an eye opener for the public if some big politician, or business person, or rock star, a real household name type, were open about being HIV+.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:25:21 am »
Can you imagine what it would be like if we Google'd our names on some random HIV+ list through Wikipedia?

Weird...

I do agree that it depends on the type of actor/ actress, etc. and their influence on the public.

Amanda
http://h1vpos1t1ve.blogspot.com/
amanda j.
Currently 28 weeks pregnant with a little boy...

Offline engineergirl

• What?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:29:36 am »
Can you imagine what it would be like if we Google'd our names on some random HIV+ list through Wikipedia?

Weird...

I do agree that it depends on the type of actor/ actress, etc. and their influence on the public.

Amanda
http://h1vpos1t1ve.blogspot.com/
amanda j.
Currently 28 weeks pregnant with a little boy...

Offline elf

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:55:09 am »
Ofra Haza died on 23 February 2000 at the age of 42, of AIDS-related pneumonia/

I didn't know that :(

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 03:29:09 am »
I think there would be a bigger impact if more everyday people disclosed their status.  Magic Johnson has done an admirable job, but people still believe that he either does not have the disease or that because he is wealthy he is able to afford special medical attention.  If people's saw more of their friends, neighbors and family members disclosing then the disease would be a lot less mysterious.  Maybe people would be a lot less afraid of the disease once they realize that they've been living and working closely with people with HIV all along and nothing bad has happened.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 11:50:17 am »
Gil Scott-Heron, Voice of Black Culture Dies at 62

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/arts/music/gil-scott-heron-voice-of-black-culture-dies-at-62.html

Though not mentioned in this obit, he was released with early parole from prison around 2007 due to issues of obtaining HIV medication. I'm not sure he ever publicly spoke on the issue, but there are other obituaries floating around today that mention HIV.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.