Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:40:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 315
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 317
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is Abbott Trying to Hide?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline palproject

What is Abbott Trying to Hide?
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:21:25 am »
What is Abbott Trying to hide?

Below is a story I think a lot of people on this blog might be interested in. It is posted at the Prescription Access

Litigation (PAL) Blog (http://prescriptionaccess.org/blog/?p=246)

In December 2003, Abbott Laboratories (NYSE: ABT) decided to increase the price of its HIV/AIDS drug Norvir (ritonavir) by 400%!

PAL member Service Employees International Union Health & Welfare Fund filed a class action lawsuit against Abbott in October 2004, alleging that the price increase violated the antitrust laws. Abbott faced a firestorm of criticism for this outrageous price increase — there were shareholder resolutions, protests at Abbott headquarters, a boycott by hundreds of physicians, Attorney General investigations, numerous newspaper editorials lambasting the move, etc. But Abbott refused to even consider reducing the price...

The lawsuit has overcome significant hurdles, and the trial is scheduled to begin this summer.
Both Abbott and the plaintiffs have filed numerous documents with their Summary Judgment motions, and now Abbott is asking the Court to “seal” many of those documents, i.e. make them not available to the public.

Why does Abbott want to keep these documents a secret and out of public view?

Visit the PAL Blog to see their reasoning and decide for yourself if they shoudl be public:

http://prescriptionaccess.org/blog/?p=246

Help us share spread this important story throughotu the blogosphere by "diggin" it: http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&partner=fb&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprescriptionaccess.org%2Fblog%2F%3Fp%3D246&title=What+is+Abbott+trying+to+hide%3F+Maker+of+Norvir+asks+Court+to+deny+public+the+right+to+see+documents

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: What is Abbott Trying to Hide?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:31:45 am »
Are you some sorta troll? I hope not. There are other folk around here who are gonna just burn you alive for this but I'm too busy to give a a shit so I'm just gonna report you to our Old Testament Goderators (not that they'll thank a body) and move on to the next thread.

If you're legit, I hope to meet you soon. :)

Glory!

MtD

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
Matty -- I'm aware of this lawsuit against Abbott, so this post seems legit.  I'd prefer it if they had posted this in the activism forum, but I'll let it stay here for now.

Peter

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:42:09 am »
Thanks Peter.

MtD :)

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:42:53 am »
There is nothing more venal or corrupt or base than greed.  I hate it.

When the 400% increase was making the news a few years ago, I was in the depths of PCP and recovery was slow and painful.  The news of Abbott and their greed caused great depression to come tumbling down on me and I've never fully recovered.

I thought the matter had been rather unpleasantly and incontestably resolved so I'm more than pleased to read about this. 

It's made my day!!!

robert

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 11:54:08 am »
Yeah.  I gotta say it crosses my mind to this day each time I went to the ol' ADAP window for my scrip of Kaletra.  I was told it was not only a cynical attempt to push people into Kaletra but in response to Norvir's newer role as a booster drug n general.

1/4 use of drug x 400% increase = same $ generated and / or they all just run to Kaletra and we get all the profits anyway.

I have to agree..."what good will with the HIV community?"  I understand the fundamental need for a profit margin, but if there was ever a time when it became all too clear what the real score was on the pharma front, that was it for me.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 11:55:54 am by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 01:45:49 pm »

I remember reading about the increase in Norvir a while back on these forums .Thanks for the links. There was some mention of this within the following link :

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=10213.0

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.