Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:53:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tired of pink ribbons, where are the red ones?  (Read 10273 times)

Offline PozBrian

Tired of pink ribbons, where are the red ones?
« on: October 10, 2010, 06:07:57 pm »
Not really sure if this is the right forum for this little rant I'm about to go on or not. I'll leave it to the Gods of Moderation to move it if needed.

I'm tired of pink. I know it's breast cancer awareness month and that it is a disease that affects a lot of people. But when NFL players start wearing pink shoes and my Sunday comics are printed in pink, Pepto-Pink too... ugh. Count me as aware already!

I'm probably opening several cans of worms with this.  I know it's not right to pit one cause against another. Breast cancer certainly is worthy. I don't begrudge their efforts to raise funds. I even took part in a fund raising walk.

I certainly could do more be more of an HIV/AIDS activist. So I recognize a certain amount of hypocrisy on my part. But I don't know how to do that without potentially alienating friends and family.  I also don't know if I'm willing to open myself to the criticism that would certainly come about. Obviously I'm still working through my own stigma issues, among other things.

I know I could get involved in a local ASO. I could come up with a bunch of reasons to not do that. None would be particularly convincing to anyone but myself. Probably the single biggest thing I could do would be to tell everyone I know that I'm HIV+ But I'm not sure that I'm ready for what that might mean both personally and professionally.

So there it is. This was a difficult post to write. Mostly because I'm still trying to figure out why I feel the way I do and the knowledge that best way to resolve my feelings is to get involved. Something for which I don't yet have the courage.
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline Snowangel

Re: Tired of pink ribbons, where are the red ones?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »
I feel ya, I actually found some little red ones around here in Job Lot.  They are the gel ones that kind of stick on the inside of a window, who knows where I am going to put them though?
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:39:46 am »
[size9pt]I certainly could do more be more of an HIV/AIDS activist. So I recognize a certain amount of hypocrisy on my part. But I don't know how to do that without potentially alienating friends and family.  I also don't know if I'm willing to open myself to the criticism that would certainly come about. Obviously I'm still working through my own stigma issues, among other things.

I know I could get involved in a local ASO. I could come up with a bunch of reasons to not do that. None would be particularly convincing to anyone but myself. Probably the single biggest thing I could do would be to tell everyone I know that I'm HIV+ But I'm not sure that I'm ready for what that might mean both personally and professionally.

Well, there you go. It isn't socially acceptable to support hiv awareness. Everyone can get behind breast cancer awareness because breasts are cool. They're practically worshipped and even have a restaurant chain named after them.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:14:01 am »
They're practically worshipped and even have a restaurant chain named after them.

Someone made me go to a Hooters in 1991 down in Florida.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:41 am »
Someone made me go to a Hooters in 1991 down in Florida.

You couldn't pay me to go into one of those places.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14:54 am »
You couldn't pay me to go into one of those places.

You know how I love big burgers and breasts.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:45:54 pm »
Between buckets of chicken for the cure and legal threats against the lung cancer camp, I'm not sure that all of this breast cancer stuff really benefits their cause or anyone else's so much as it provides an insidious republican marketing genius a vehicle to feel like she's making progress.
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline camille07

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:54:59 pm »
My mother in law has breast cancer, and I bought a travel mug with a pink ribbon. I was thinking of her when I made my purchase of course.  It was the very first time I ever bought "pink"... that was today actually.  I see your point.  It's really everywhere, regardless of the month.  I even see a lot of pink ribbon magnets on cars and suvs.  But I never see a red ribbon magnet.

I'm very out.  Everyone who knows me knows that I was dx'd as positively hiv. On my facebook page, I have an hiv page that I "like".  But would I put a red ribbon magnet on my suv.  I don't know.

One belief as to why is caught on is the color itself.  Aestectically, red is a beautiful color, but it's a little intimidating and a little scary.  Pink carries feelings of innocence, (not the pink body parts  ;) ) warming and girlie...uber feminine.

I think Ann brings up an excellent point....breasts!  There's even new wrislets for breast cancer, "I LOVE BOOBIES".  I see them everywhere.  Who doesn't? 

To sum it up:  I too love boobies, I don't like the color pink, I wish I could put a red ribbon on my suv or figure out what is stopping me and yes, maybe oneday, all the people of planet earth would wear a red t- shirt for World Aids Day.  Crap, it's already taken.  Women and heart disease have that one. And I've been to Hooters once. ::)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »
Perhaps we as Pozzies are outcasts in the eyes of the general populace, and yes there is still stigma in 2010. It's a little harder for people to rally around HIV when they still think of it as an Icky disease that we brought upon ourselves. I'm sure the majority of people will say they support us, but when it comes to doing somethings, such as putting a Red Ribbon on their cars, or wearing red shoes during football games is where the support stops for the most part.

On the other end of the spectrum is Breast Cancer which affects our grandmas, aunts and mothers who did nothing to bring the malady upon theirselves, and these people are not seen as Hookers, Gays, and drug users by the general populace.

It's sad, and unfortunately I dont see it changing anytime soon. It seems we are on our own most of the time.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:19:44 pm »
I do love the cute slogan, "Save the Ta-Tas"

Offline camille07

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:18:12 am »
I was sent a pm by a member asking a little more about my stance regarding this issue this am.  I think it's important to note that sharing with them a little bit of my background that I came to a simple conclusion for my hesitation ...specifically regarding the magnetic ribbon on my car. I've worn red ribbons to many events.  I've worn red ribbons for holidays.  I wear ribbons :)

I've shared with many people my status. It's not shame or afraid that someone will I'm gay.  So, this was really starting to bother me.

And then it dawned on me...

It's my suv.  I don't like things on my suv except for one thing.. my former town, Asbury Park.  A coworker put a pink magnetic ribbon on my other truck years ago and it caused an issue and discoloration.  I remember not wanting the pink sticker on my truck but felt guilty into keeping it, since this was his wife's unfortunate circumstance.   I just don't it...things on my truck.  I've never even done bumper stickers and never will. 

Whatever about my idiosyncrasies , it doesn't change the fact that pink is in and red isn't.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 11:24:32 am »
there's a timely article about the history of red ribbons and where they've gone over at the body,
Where Have All the Ribbons Gone?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 08:35:43 pm »
Komen certainly draws attention to the cause, but it may not be doing any good.  "Only 23.5 percent (of Komen funding) goes to research.", and the prognosis for life with breast cancer doesn't seem much better.  Komen may be a case study in what NOT to do in activism.

This article on slate details the book Pink Ribbon Blues.  I'm sure it would make an interesting read for anyone interested in activism. 

http://www.slate.com/id/2272767/pagenum/all/#p2
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 10:05:06 pm »
this past week, I attended the 2010 SC HIV/AIDS Conference. The keynote speaker during lunch the second day, was Kathie Hiers (from the Southern AIDS Coalition, AIDS Alabama, and PACHA) who mentioned that she had noticed the absence of red ribbons and the lack of attention about HIV. While saying that she too had seen the vast amount of pink ribbons lately, she pointed out that she herself wasn't even wearing a red ribbon and had yet to see one on anyone at our conference.

She also told us some disheartening numbers concerning funding and the South. While the Southern states generally receive about 33% of the national budgets for HIV/AIDS prevention, education and treatment, 55% of all gay men diagnosed with HIV in America live in the Southern states; and 52% of black people diagnosed with HIV are living in the South. (73% of HIV infected people in South Carolina are black, while gay men only make up 21% of those infected) Unfortunately many of those positive people are spread out in rural areas and most monies are designated and directed towards metropolitian areas. While the South is home to at least half of the infected gay men in America and half of the black people infected, Ms. Hiers is the only representative from the South out of the 25 members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA)

thanks for that link wtf, that was an interesting article. hopefully the charlotte library will get this soon and I'll give it a read. ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:10:32 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 04:12:06 pm »
this past week, I attended the 2010 SC HIV/AIDS Conference. The keynote speaker during lunch the second day, was Kathie Hiers (from the Southern AIDS Coalition, AIDS Alabama, and PACHA) who mentioned that she had noticed the absence of red ribbons and the lack of attention about HIV. While saying that she too had seen the vast amount of pink ribbons lately, she pointed out that she herself wasn't even wearing a red ribbon and had yet to see one on anyone at our conference.

She also told us some disheartening numbers concerning funding and the South. While the Southern states generally receive about 33% of the national budgets for HIV/AIDS prevention, education and treatment, 55% of all gay men diagnosed with HIV in America live in the Southern states; and 52% of black people diagnosed with HIV are living in the South. (73% of HIV infected people in South Carolina are black, while gay men only make up 21% of those infected) Unfortunately many of those positive people are spread out in rural areas and most monies are designated and directed towards metropolitian areas. While the South is home to at least half of the infected gay men in America and half of the black people infected, Ms. Hiers is the only representative from the South out of the 25 members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA)

thanks for that link wtf, that was an interesting article. hopefully the charlotte library will get this soon and I'll give it a read. ;)

No doubt this woman was very well intended, but her "facts" are ... well...an object lesson in the need to question startling "facts".

It is certainly true that over 50% of NEW DIAGNOSES of MSM with AIDS are from the "South".  The CDC slide set provides this info here in slide 17 -- http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/slides/msm/index.htm

But open the slide and read the details.  The "South" is defined as "South—Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia" 

This is not the same territory that one thinks of as the Old South.  And a sizable part of it is part of the "Mid-Atlantic" region.  In fact, for total new diagnoses in 2006 this slide set shows Maryland Delaware and DC represent about 14% of the cases in the South in 2006,  Texas was 19% and Florida 27%. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/slides/aids_regional/index.htm

The colloquial South of VA, the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana represents under 40% of the numbers shown as "South" on the CDC chart (You can even throw in Kentucky and Tennessee and still keep it under 40% of the "South").

Is there only one representative from the "CDC South" on PACHA?  Many do not list a location, but clearly there are several from Washington DC and at least one from Delaware as well as Ms. Hiers from Alabama.  And, of course, PACHA is representative not just of sites of infection but also the sites of the major research centers.

Are her funding facts true?  One wonders...
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 05:18:45 pm »
It is certainly true that over 50% of NEW DIAGNOSES of MSM with AIDS are from the "South". 

But open the slide and read the details.  The "South" is defined as "South—... District of Columbia, ..."
thanks for that link. I wish that I had been able to get a copy of the presentation before I left (I just emailed her for more information, references, and/or her PowerPoint presentation), so that I had exact references to back up the numbers I quickly jotted down while listening to her speak, even though those CDC numbers basically state the same general thing.

That CDC information is kinda funny too! :D Only the CDC would list DC, the capital of the Northern States, as being in a category called "the South".
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 05:38:30 pm »
Hopefully Bivens will contact this fine woman and inform her that she shouldn't be misrepresenting "facts" to her constituency.  I'm glad Assurbanipal took the time to look that up, because when I first read this post of leatherman's this morning it didn't pass the sniff test.

One thing to keep in mind in terms of HIV/AIDS in the South, is that a higher proportion I think I've read are being diagnosed with AIDS defining numbers, and thus more expensive to initially treat.  Also more likely to die.  And southern states are notorious for having dreadful public health outlets, because they set their tax rates so low.  Ryan White can't solve that. 

Seeing as how Ms. Heirs is from Alabama she might want to also focus on things like this:

http://crooksandliars.com/matt-osborne/we-can-all-live-alabama

If they fund most of their schools through sales tax instead of property taxes I must assume they do the same with health service, which obviously are then threadbare. 

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 03:21:49 pm »
Yep--quite a bit of pink out there lately.  But I'm not tired of it.  I too love boobies.  I also love my wife, sister, mom and mother-in-law who have either had breast cancer or had breast cancer scares.  I don't begrudge breast cnacer survivors or advocates for building awareness.  I think pitting one disease against another for 'popularity' is anathma.

If we want to see more red ribbons out there--then we need to do more work to get more red ribbons out there.

I'm kind of cynical on this point--I have to admit.  I really could care less about a ribbon.  I want a fucking cure.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.