Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV 1/2 Screen RFLX WB Non-Reactive Non-Reactive?  (Read 13125 times)

Offline mightymouse

HIV 1/2 Screen RFLX WB Non-Reactive Non-Reactive?
« on: December 23, 2006, 11:26:21 pm »
Happy Holidays,
This question is regarding testing.  My last test was last year and it came out negative.  Since then I have been with two ladies and made the mistake of having u/p sex.  The first woman, had evidence of a recent negative test through an MD.  The second one could provide the same documentation, but had a former husband that was an IV drug user.  The second lady and I only had u/P sex one time.  Any info would be helpful.
Thanks,
MM

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Testing
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 08:03:43 am »
MM,

Are you aware that a test result is only valid for the period of time three months BEFORE the date of the test? That is because hiv has a three month window period.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

As you've had unprotected intercourse, you need to test. A test at the three month point after the last incident will be conclusive.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 07:13:00 am »
Thanks, I assume a test at the six week mark would not be valid?  I did question both of my former lady friends.  The first one could provide a valid information of recent testing, the second woman could as well, but her ex husband was a IV drug user.  I plan to get a rapid test, tommorrow morning.  thanks

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 07:42:02 am »
6 weeks is very encouraging, since the vast majority of positives will test positive by then.  However, a test at the 3 month mark is still needed for a definitive result.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 08:13:19 am »
MM,

I agree with Coffee and want to add something else.

You cannot go by what someone else tells you about their hiv status unless you are in a monogamous relationship with them and you have tested together. People have been known to lie, produce forged test results, have real test results but "forget" about an encounter in the mean time... get the picture? And a lot of people just assume they are negative.

They ONLY way to know your own hiv status is through testing YOURSELF. Until you are in a position to know with 100% certainty your partner's status, you need to use condoms. Every time. No exceptions.

If you are saying you've had a six week negative, as long as you keep using condoms I don't expect that result to change - but you need to confirm that result at the three month point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 11:30:14 am »
Sorry for confusing yall.  Tommorrow will be the six weeks test, I am fortunate to live close to a metro area that has a rapid testing site.  As a matter of fact they have a home service, but it is $500.00, compatred to the 60.00 that I'll spend tommorrow.  I know I have 7 weeks to go, but hopefully it will relieve some stress.  I think I'm worrying a lot because, I have just fallen in love.  The person I'm seeing now and I have not slept together yet.  Ironically she is getting testing done this week too.  She told me first and then I explained to her that I was involved with two women eralier this fall and needed to get a current test myself. Thanks for your help.  I'm trying to prevent myself from spedning the 500.00 today.  Have a great holiday, MM

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 12:15:02 pm »
Well, the odds are with you that you will test negative. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's much harder to accomplish from female to male. So the likelihood is that you will come out of this ok.

But you need to learn for future reference that until you are in a securely monogamous relationship and both have reliably tested negative together, until then you need to be using condoms. Perhaps your new relationship fits that bill, but don't rush to dispense with using condoms until you're absolutely sure is my suggestion.

It's also good that you've been up front with your girlfriend about getting tested.

Good luck with that. A negative at this point is very encouraging as all but the smallest number who are going to seroconvert will do so by 6 weeks.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 01:29:21 pm »
Thanks for your encoursgment.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 03:25:56 pm »
I got my 6 weeks test the other day, it was negative.  I know I have to back and get a 13 week.  I did contact the two ladies I had sex with in October and they assured me that they were negative.  It's still scary at this point.  My new girlfreind and I are using condoms for now. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 04:38:45 pm »
Congrats on that happy test result. My expectation is that you will continue to test negative.

I do want to say something more. I get the uneasy feeling that you are way too quick to dispense with using condoms. OK, you've got a new gf now. Good. Enjoy yourselves.

But and this is a big BUT, don't rush to give up using condoms simply because you test negative. And even if your gf does the same. Committed monogamy is serious business and unless you are both secure about that after testing negative, then you should continue to use condoms. This can become a life and death matter so deciding to have unprotected intercourse is a big step that requires responsibility and committment on the part of both partners.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 10:50:47 pm »
I got my 7.5 week test today and it was negaitive too.  It was  a swab (cheek and gum) test.  The guy let me do it myself.  (Swab portion)  Is this a valid test?

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 05:22:15 am »
Yep, it is a valid test.  The oral test is comparable to blood in terms of sensitivity and specificity.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline mightymouse

Re: Testing UpDate 3 months
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 07:16:05 pm »
Hello All,
I have a 4 week neg (ora quick blood) and two saliva test (7.5 and 9 weeks).  Today I went to a wlak in clinic and got a blood test for HIV, allt he HEPS and syph.  I had a possible exposure via a one night stand with a woman in November.  I have been readinf about variuos window periods ( 6weeks UK/13 weeks US). The nurse told me HIV has a ten year window.  tell me it is not so.  She also said that my results would be ready tommorrowa after lunch. Thanks, any help would be nice.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 07:27:32 pm »
mouse,

The window period in the UK is twelve weeks. I would suggest you report this nurse for not knowing the correct information on hiv testing window periods.

As hiv is a difficult virus to transmit and more so from a woman to a man, I am expecting your four week negative result to be confirmed when you pick up your results tomorrow.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 10:15:24 pm »
Thanks Ann,
You are very helpful, have a great day.

Offline mightymouse

Confused over Test Results
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 09:48:27 pm »
All it says is:
HIV 1/2 Screen RFLX WB Non-Reactive  Non-Reactive
That is exactly what it states, the nurse was unavailable to interpret the results.  The test for HEP A, B & C stated negative.  I'm guessing WB means Wesrern Blot.  Why would they do such a test?  I used to live in a big metro area and did my testing at an HIV/STD clinic and they used the ELISA. What is going on here?
Thanks guys, I really apprecaite the help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 10:53:28 pm »
It means your negative

Offline mightymouse

HIV 1/2 Screen RFLX WB Non-Reactive Non-Reactive?
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 06:37:09 pm »
Can someone please tell me what kind of test this was?  I usually get oraquicks at the clinic, this was done at a Dr.'s office.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm also not sure if it was 75 or 80n days after a risk.  Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: HIV 1/2 Screen RFLX WB Non-Reactive Non-Reactive?
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 06:47:58 pm »
mouse,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

It's a Western Blot. If you want details on the WB, read the Welcome Thread and follow the link to the Testing Lesson.

You are hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 06:50:31 pm »
Why did a clinic try to use that test?  why didn't they use an elsisa?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 06:53:22 pm »
mouse,

Sorry, but my crystal ball is in the shop. You'll have to ring the clinic and ask them yourself.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 08:15:41 pm »
Sorry to bother you guys again, when I got this result a few months ago, I assumed that non-reactive was negative and did not talk to the doctor or nurse.  Do you think they gave me WB beacuse the Elisa ws positive?   I hope I'm just crazy.  TY

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 09:18:35 pm »
Have no idea. Ask your doctor/person that gave you the results.

Offline mightymouse

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 08:55:51 pm »
Went and got a rapid test after work.  From what I've read 137 days is worthy of being negative.  Thanks :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.