Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:19:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773216
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 534
Total: 536

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Black History Month celebration of the life of Bayard Rustin  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Jody

Black History Month celebration of the life of Bayard Rustin
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:03 pm »
I had the privilege of going with some buddies to see a movie last night about the life of Bayard Rustin, a civil rights organizer and a great human being.  It was shown at the aptly named Renaissance School in Jackson Heights, Queens NYC and the film director and Bayard's life partner were there to speak afterwards and take questions.

Bayard Rustin was born in 1912 in West Chester, PA., just outside Philadelphia.  He was an out gay man since being a teenager and was a fine athlete with a beautiful singing voice.  He later came to New York where he found that the Communist party was more in tune with civil rights for all than the traditional American political parties.  He was a staunch lifelong pacifist who spoke out against violence and war for any reason.  He sent a letter to the draft board detailing his resistance to being drafted. 

Later in life he had the unfortunate experience of being caught in the back of a car with two men in California.  He was arrested and forever labeled a sexual deviant as well as a commie of course by the conservatives of his time, who still resisted change for the better.  So when the ball got rolling for civil rights marches culminating in the famous 1963 "I've Got a Dream" speech in Washington by Martin Luther King, Bayard was relegated to being mostly behind the scenes.  But make no mistake, this man was a huge part of bringing equality to all in this nation and a huge part of the civil rights movement. The fact that he was gay not only saw him sadly marginalized by the leadership of the civil rights movement but his historical role was largely expunged by the media and others. 

But Bayard Rustin was a true American hero, a man who found happiness everywhere and was never outwardly bitter, a kind and lovely gentleman in every sense of the word and I hope he will get his just due.  He traveled the world, helping Cambodian refugees, Soviet Jews and many other people in need who faced difficult lives simply for who they were.

As an addendum, City council person Daniel Dromm was at the showing and he is attempting to have LGBT American history become part of the curriculum in New York City schools as a way of showing that good folks who just happen to be gay are also here to enrich the lives of all good people.  People like Bayard Rustin, Harvey Milk, Stephen Sondheim, Walt Whitman, James Baldwin, Truman Capote, Ellen DeGeneres, Billie Jean King, Dr. Renee Richards and countless other gay men and women are proof to young people who might be finding that they are gay for the first time that they can be happy and successful.

Jody
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:06:41 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: Black History Month celebration of the life of Bayard Rustin
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:50 pm »
Bayard Rustin was certainly integral to the equal rights struggle.

Earlier this month, I posted about Mr. Rustin's partner wanting to preserve his legacy:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=41507.msg519369#msg519369
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jody

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:26 pm »
Sorry I missed your topic One Tampa.  Mr. Rustin certainly was heroic in his life and I was glad to have learned about him and from him after his death.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »
Thanks Jody.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:29:23 am »
Thanks Jody and Tampa. I've never heard of this wonderful human being before ("his historical role was largely expunged by the media and others.") so thank you for bringing him to my attention so I can learn about him - and learn from him. Thank you both!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:56 am »
I was watching something last year and encountered Rustin's name, then went and did some research on him on line. I had not heard of him previously either, but he's from outside Philly so maybe it was something locally I read. It was about how he was an influence on younger types like Stokely Carmichael.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.