Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:59:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 616
Total: 619

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV test result for my 20 months old son  (Read 6334 times)

Offline deane

HIV test result for my 20 months old son
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:53:38 am »
First thanks for this forum and so many warm-hearted friends. It at least released  my feeling of lonly, anxiety and helpless.

Here are HIV test result of my son:

The virus load of HIV RNV is undetactable (at 20 months), but the antibody test result is shown as NOT CONFIRMED (the doctor say that means it is positive both at 12 months and 20 months).

Other related informations:
1. My wife was detected HIV -1 positive at the three months pregnacy health checking and then received treatment.
2. My son has received HIV durg for 6 days after born.
3. No breastfeeding and be cared very carefully.
4. Currently my son seems be very healthy.

If someone can give me comments regarding my following questions:

1. How about the posibitly of my son infected HIV?
2. If it's necessary for further testing? (In fact i am anxity, but don't want my son to be let blood for this again!)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV test result for my 20 months old son
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:51:28 am »
Deane, I've moved your thread over to this section where I think it fits in better.

A positive on an HIV Elisa test always has to be confirmed with a western blot. You should check with your son's doctor to find out if that confirmatory test has been done and he is actually HIV positive. There seems to be confusion here on your part about your son's HIV status.

If he is HIV positive there are much better treatments available currently that can keep your son healthy and assure his growing up and having a good life.

But for now get confirmation of his status. And if he is positive you should be having conversations with the doctor about what has to be done to keep him in good health. Good luck with sorting this problem out. 
Andy Velez

Offline deane

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:07:20 am »
Thanks,Andy Velez

As i learned that no confirmation test has been done. I'm in china, the test procedure is not so precise.

The doctor recommended that to do another antibody test after half years. But i an warried about the result and want to know the posibility.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:20:07 am »
Deane,

Your son does not have hiv - the undetectable RNA PCR test at twenty months has ruled it out.

Here's some information from a highly respected source - i-base:

How and when will I know that my baby is HIV-negative?

Babies born to HIV positive mothers will always test HIV positive at first if the usual antibody tests are used.

This is because they share their mum’s antibodies. If your baby is not infected with HIV these will gradually disappear. This can sometimes take as long as 18 months.

The best test for HIV in babies is very similar to a viral load test. Called an HIV PCR DNA test, it looks for virus in the baby’s blood rather than at immune responses.

Good practice in the UK is to test babies the day they are born, and then when they are six weeks and three months old.

If all these tests are negative, and you are not breastfeeding your baby, then your baby is not HIV positive.

You will also be told that your baby no longer has your antibodies when he or she is 18 months old. This exciting milestone is called seroreversion.

The article above talks about DNA PCR testing, but RNA PCR testing is also used for testing babies and it is actually more accurate than DNA testing. (DNA testing can be prone to false POSITIVE results.)

Again, your son does NOT have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline deane

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:10:35 am »
Thank you very much, Ann

As i learned from many articles that the HIV antibody of the mather will be disappeared in baby before 18 months and the antibody test result will be avilable. But this is not in the case of my son even at his 20 months.

Another article meantioned that the false positive for the antibody test in the following link:http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/fulltext/2007/05310/false_positive_hiv_antibody_results_with.22.aspx

But i still a little worried about this and appricated if this is further clarified.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:26:42 am by deane »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28:01 am »
Deane, for some babies it takes a little longer than 18 months for the antibodies to clear. Your son will probably clear them soon - and most places will continue to periodically test for antibodies until they have cleared.

Your son is healthy and hiv negative, so hang in there. He will clear the antibodies eventually.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.