Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:04:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 510
Total: 511

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected Sex with Thai CSW - Completed PEP & Very Worried :(  (Read 8630 times)

Offline NervousNerd

• Standard
Unprotected Sex with Thai CSW - Completed PEP & Very Worried :(
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:39:54 am »
Hi Ann, Andy and others,

I have been looking through posts on this forum for a while now! Its amazing how much information there is on one website, thank you all for your hard work!

I am wondering if someone can try and ease my troubles and help put my mind at rest. At the beginning of last December I had unprotected sex (regrettably) with a Thai CSW which I am unsure of her HIV status. When I asked her about any STD's she replied "no, nothing" and then asked the question back. Which I have never had any type of STD.

The morning after the event, I rushed to the nearest hospital in Bangkok and started a course of PEP (Truvada and Kaletra/Aluvia). This was approx. 13-14 hours after the event which i took with 100% adherence for the full 28 days! (Completion on 28/12/12).

Just under 2 weeks ago, I have had major surgery on my bowels. I had a condition of Ulcerative Colitis where I have had my large bowel removed and reconstruction of my small bowel - I don't know if this makes any significance whatsoever!

I have heard and seen all of the chances of infection after a single exposure of unprotected vaginal intercourse. They look real slim, but cant really be targeted to individual cases. Initially I only have a few questions:

1. What are the chances of me being infected now with 100% adherence of PEP?
2. The doctor at the clinic in the UK has planned in a HIV test at 4 weeks post PEP and 12 weeks post PEP. How accurate are these tests, over these time periods?
3. Have you seen any other individuals with a case similar to mine, which have gone on to become HIV positive?

Many thanks and Best Regards,
NervousNerd

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Unprotected Sex with Thai CSW - Completed PEP & Very Worried :(
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:46:06 am »
You did have a risk with unprotected intercourse. However, certain factors weigh in your favor for ultimately testing negative. As the insertive partner your risk is significantly lower than for the receptive one. And it was a one-time incident. Plus you got started promptly on PEP. All of which points strongly towards getting a negative result.

We recommend testing initially at 6 weeks after completing PEP. Assuming you test negative at that point then it is very likely you will test negative at 3 months after completing PEP for a conclusive result.

Your having had surgery since the incident is irrelevant in terms of risk for HIV. Given everything you reported I would say the odds are in your favor that you will test negative.

You can avoid going through this in the future by always without exception using a condom everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse.

Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline NervousNerd

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:27 am »
Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your prompt response! Much appreciated!

I always wear condoms, I really don't know what happened this time! :(

I forgot to mention, the intercourse was only brief.. 2-3 minutes maximum... But I guess this doesn't really matter.

I have had some of the same symptoms some of the other guys have mentioned on this forum, but I have put this down to anxiety and being worried sick about HIV and my surgery. I am still very anxious and nervous - my own fault really! :/ :(

Have you seen many people testing positive after a situation like mine?

Many Thanks,
NervousNerd

Offline NervousNerd

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:19:41 pm »
Hello Again Guys,

Sorry to be a worry wart... But while I'm here, can I please ask how effetive is PEP in your experience and has anyone ever tested positive following PEP and this sort of exposure?

Many Thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:55:45 pm »
The brevity of the time unprotected during intercourse does make a difference. PEP has a significant margin of success,particularly the earlier it is started.

All I will say is all things considered I think it is likely you will test negative. Now you just have to wait for that first 6 weeks after completing PEP to test initially. If that result is negative then it will mean you while likely test negative again at 3 months for a conclusive result.

While waiting you need to make a real effort to focus on other things in your life.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline NervousNerd

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »
Good Evening All,
I hope you are well!

Thank you again for all the work you do and support you provide for troublesome minds!

Just an update on my situation, and possibly some of your experienced knowledge.

I had a possible exposure to HIV through unprotected oral and vaginal sex (1/12/12) and started PEP the same day (14 hours after the event). I have taken your advice and kept myself busy for the duration of the past 4 months. I have been attending my local GUM clinic I believe as required.

Baseline test (05/12/12): Negative
Completion of PEP: 28/12/12
4 weeks after completion of PEP (28/1/2013): Negative
8 weeks after completion of PEP (27/2/2013): Negative
12.5 weeks (90 days) after the completion of PEP (28/3/2013): Negative
I believe that all tests were carried out with 4th Gen HIV DUO tests.

So, my questions are:

- I have seen guidelines explaining that a conclusive test can be taken at 6 months, is this old news? Are my results definitive and conclusive of my true status?

- I have suffered from Ulcerative Coltitis for many years and have had a stoma for the past 6 years, and as mentioned before I had major bowel surgery on 9/1/2013. Would this have any effect on my results?

The reason that I am still a little anxious, is that I have a partner and we are looking to start our own family in the near future. I do not want to put anyone at risk by not making yet another silly mistake.

I fully appreciate the work you guys carry out. Thank you again for all of your help and support with my situation.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »
To your questions:

The three month window has been standard for over a decade now.

Your stoma will have had no impact on a testing window

You are conclusively HIV negative and are free to procreate. In fairness, people with HIV procreate successfully as well, of course, and almost always give birth to healthy children if under a doctor's care.

You can rest assured that you do not have HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline NervousNerd

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:14:33 pm »
Wow, thank you for a very speedy reply!

Thank you for your answers, they are much appreciated!

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my family questions and putting anyone else at risk. I know that HIV+ people can procreate and have healthy children, and all the reading I have been doing over the past 4 months, I am fascinated with the medical advances around this area.

I  just wanted to ensure that I was out of the woods with HIV and didn't require anymore testing before I ventured down the family road.

Kindest regards.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:03:23 pm »
Wow, thank you for a very speedy reply!

Thank you for your answers, they are much appreciated!

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my family questions and putting anyone else at risk. I know that HIV+ people can procreate and have healthy children, and all the reading I have been doing over the past 4 months, I am fascinated with the medical advances around this area.

I  just wanted to ensure that I was out of the woods with HIV and didn't require anymore testing before I ventured down the family road.

Kindest regards.

Absolutely no offense taken. There have been so many advances in the last few years regarding couples who want to have kids. If the female is the positive partner and on meds AND has an undetectable viral load, then she's essentially uininfectious. Sometimes a doctor will prescribe antivirals specific to the fetus, sometimes not.

If the male is the positive partner, there's more gray area, as semen can still contain active viral particles even if an undetectable viral load is achieved, albeit there's controversy regarding if it's enough to actually infect. Nonetheless, many female partners in this situation take what's known as PrEP, which is essentially a pill, usually Truvada, during the time of conception.

Used to be that sperm-washing and in vitro fertilization were the only known options, but now that we understand the mechanisms of HIV and the drugs used to treat it, it's gotten a whole lot easier and less expensive.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but in the ten years I have been on this forum there have been hundreds of couples who have conceived and there hasn't been a transmission between the partners or to the baby. That's powerful stuff :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline NervousNerd

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:14:45 pm »
I am glad I didn't offend anyone. That is very interesting and impressive stuff! Its incredible what is achievable now through advanced medicines!

Just for an extra peace of mind, have you or any of the other moderators have someones result turn from a negative to positive after the 3 months post-pep test. Similar to my situation and results?

I just want to be a 1,000,000% sure  :)

I hope you are having a good day!
Best Regards.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 05:31:11 pm »
Just for an extra peace of mind, have you or any of the other moderators have someones result turn from a negative to positive after the 3 months post-pep test. Similar to my situation and results?

I personally haven't seen it in the 30 years I have been HIV positive and paying attention to these issues .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 06:49:26 pm »
Been on the forum for ten years, giving out risk assessment.

Never seen anyone test positive after three months.

I can't begin to count the number of people who have come here, but I am sure I have dealt with at least a couple thousand.

Welcome Thread

Offline NervousNerd

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 02:01:50 pm »
Good evening all!
I hope you are well.

That is great, you guys deserve a medal for the work you do.

Thank you very much again for your comments.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.