Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:56:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 513
Total: 514

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Free HIV Treatment in Europe  (Read 3984 times)

Offline user1313

Free HIV Treatment in Europe
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:03:35 pm »
I am currently living in Venezuela and since my country is falling apart by the minute as I write this, I am planning to move and do a Masters Degree in Europe.

One of my biggest concerns is that I have no idea where to go since I need to have my HIV antiretroviral treatment.

Can anyone help me know in which country (ies) in Europe I could receive free HIV treatment being a foreign student?

Thanks so much for your help!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Free HIV Treatment in Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum ! Here is a resource guide that may be of help .

http://www.aidsmap.com/e-atlas
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline user1313

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 11:08:52 am »
Welcome to the forum ! Here is a resource guide that may be of help .

http://www.aidsmap.com/e-atlas

Thanks so much Jeff, it’s my pleasure to be here. Thank you for all your support.

I have come across this aidsmap before, but i don’t quite get familiar with the search  engine. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:32:23 pm »
Thanks so much Jeff, it’s my pleasure to be here. Thank you for all your support.

I have come across this aidsmap before, but i don’t quite get familiar with the search  engine. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

If you are having trouble with navigating the site on aidsmap you can also do google searches for HIV services in your city and town or nearby locations . You will be surprised at what you can find that way .

The aidsmap site is pretty straight forward with drop down boxes and search categories . The home page that you see first has a box to click for resources in the area you type in .

Its heartbreaking to hear your home country is in turmoil and I hope you are able to get to a safe place . Its important to remember that no matter where you go there is no such thing as free healthcare because someone is paying for it even if you don't .

Some of our European members may can assist with some ideas and tell you which countrys offer the best refuge for a poz immigrant person with limited resources .

Im wishing you the very best .
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:38:08 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline user1313

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
If you are having trouble with navigating the site on aidsmap you can also do google searches for HIV services in your city and town or nearby locations . You will be surprised at what you can find that way .

The aidsmap site is pretty straight forward with drop down boxes and search categories . The home page that you see first has a box to click for resources in the area you type in .

Its heartbreaking to hear your home country is in turmoil and I hope you are able to get to a safe place . Its important to remember that no matter where you go there is no such thing as free healthcare because someone is paying for it even if you don't .

Some of our European members may can assist with some ideas and tell you which countrys offer the best refuge for a poz immigrant person with limited resources .

Im wishing you the very best .

Thanks so much, once again.

I will try to use the search engine on the aidsmap page, as well as google search to do my best.

I will also look forward any other type of help/suggestions from other members, specially the ones living in Europe.

I understand that there is no such thing as free healthcare, in Venezuela (where i am currently living), the government offers free antiretrovirals meds for Venezuelan citizens as well as foreigners.

Nevertheless, medical checks and other inquiries may run on the patient’s responsibility.

Thank you so much for everything, I hope to find what I’m looking for.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 01:49:24 am »
You would need to get accepted at a university, and arrange the appropriate visas for the time period involved. Once that is in order there probably a number of countries where the national health service or the private insurance scheme are going to take HIV treatment in stride.
I know of no European country that has "open borders - all HIV+ people welcome for free treatment."  I know of no country that has a ban on HIV+ students...  So if a student enters through the regular process, then HIV is probably secondary.

Are you looking to study here, then leave? European countries like that!
Or is this really a wish to immigrate? European countries actively police against that!

Again, for immigration, I don't think any (?) european countries ban immigration because of HIV+ status. Rather the challenge is going through the normal vetting process that applies to anyone immigrating???

Switzerland will let foreign students linger here for any number of years dilly dallying from one university to another, just as swiss nationals have the right to flail through many different higher education programmes.  However, once a foreign student flunks out, immigration will deport him and pretty quickly. Similarly, after graduation, unless some employer gets the foreign new worker the normal worker permit, out he/she goes...

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:55:30 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline MaxellSmith

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 04:18:33 am »
Hi,

I am from Spain. In my country if you are a descent from Spanish people you can apply for nationality, as in some other European countries (i.e. Italy). You could get your medications that way. In case you aren't, then you should look for a job as soon as you get here. If you have a job then you automatically apply for the National Health System and get your meds. In Spain we have a very strict policy against immigrants who aren't working and want to use our healthcare system (meaning they make you pay for all the treatments, and a HIV ARV therapy could be something like 750 € per month). It doesn't matter if it is a shitty 4 hours a day job, as long as you have one you can demand a doctor and begin your treatment.
And also, it depends not only on the country but also the 'region' inside of the country you are going to travel to (and in many European countries regions function as mini-countries themselves). For example, if you come to Spain - Madrid: http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?cid=1156748167732&idPaginaAsociada=1156748167732&language=es&pagename=PortalInmigrante%2FPage%2FINMI_portadillaUnaColumna
But this is only valid for Madrid. Any other region in Spain and country in Europe has different laws regarding their health systems.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:24:38 am by MaxellSmith »

Offline user1313

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:21:59 pm »
You would need to get accepted at a university, and arrange the appropriate visas for the time period involved. Once that is in order there probably a number of countries where the national health service or the private insurance scheme are going to take HIV treatment in stride.
I know of no European country that has "open borders - all HIV+ people welcome for free treatment."  I know of no country that has a ban on HIV+ students...  So if a student enters through the regular process, then HIV is probably secondary.

Are you looking to study here, then leave? European countries like that!
Or is this really a wish to immigrate? European countries actively police against that!

Again, for immigration, I don't think any (?) european countries ban immigration because of HIV+ status. Rather the challenge is going through the normal vetting process that applies to anyone immigrating???

Switzerland will let foreign students linger here for any number of years dilly dallying from one university to another, just as swiss nationals have the right to flail through many different higher education programmes.  However, once a foreign student flunks out, immigration will deport him and pretty quickly. Similarly, after graduation, unless some employer gets the foreign new worker the normal worker permit, out he/she goes...

Thanks very much for all the information. I will keep that in mind.

My goal, primarily, is to get my studies done and then see what can I do before I decide to get back to where I’m from.

Thanks again!

Offline user1313

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »
Hi,

I am from Spain. In my country if you are a descent from Spanish people you can apply for nationality, as in some other European countries (i.e. Italy). You could get your medications that way. In case you aren't, then you should look for a job as soon as you get here. If you have a job then you automatically apply for the National Health System and get your meds. In Spain we have a very strict policy against immigrants who aren't working and want to use our healthcare system (meaning they make you pay for all the treatments, and a HIV ARV therapy could be something like 750 € per month). It doesn't matter if it is a shitty 4 hours a day job, as long as you have one you can demand a doctor and begin your treatment.
And also, it depends not only on the country but also the 'region' inside of the country you are going to travel to (and in many European countries regions function as mini-countries themselves). For example, if you come to Spain - Madrid: http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?cid=1156748167732&idPaginaAsociada=1156748167732&language=es&pagename=PortalInmigrante%2FPage%2FINMI_portadillaUnaColumna
But this is only valid for Madrid. Any other region in Spain and country in Europe has different laws regarding their health systems.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. You have no idea how this information has been helpful to me. I will take a look at the link you provided.

Have a great day.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.