Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:06:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Dear Grandmother...  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Basquo

My Dear Grandmother...
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:55:11 pm »
I was just thinking this past weekend how my wonderful grandmother will be 91 in September.  I reminded myself that anything could happen at anytime.  My dad sent me an email last Thursday that she seemed to be fading, not quite herself.  She had decided to stop driving, and confessed that she had little interest in eating and less in cooking.

My grandmother fell this morning and while I don't know the exact circumstances or injury yet, in the ER they started the usual radiology and discovered metestatic cancer.  I don't know much more than that, but I've started packing and will drive out to west Texas tomorrow morning.  My dad can't make it until Thursday, my sis says, and I'm worried about my aunt, the only other family out there.  She is a nurse and also single, like me, and she will need some relief in care.  Mimi is now in a room, not an ICU, so I know she's stable, but she needs family and so I go to her.  I don't know what I'll find, but I am prepared for anything from changing a diaper to a pedicure.  I did the same thing for her husband, my grandfather, 10 years ago.

She has always been in my life, and I am preparing for the end of hers.  I guess the reason I'm posting this is because I am for once focusing on mortality other than my own. Thanks for reading.

Creighton

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: My Dear Grandmother...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 09:00:36 pm »
Dear Creighton,

I'll be keeping you and your Mimi in my prayers.   Best of luck to you.

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:02:13 pm »
Creighton, sorry to hear about what's going on with your grandmother. Wishing you well however things go.

Best,
Andy Velez

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 09:02:50 pm »
You and your Grandmother will be in my prayers.
I lost my granny 2 yrs ago at the age of 94. I miss her everyday!

Drive safe
Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:10:45 pm »
Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, it's really good that you will be with her.  Cristy

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:14:15 pm »
My thoughts are with you.................grandparents are so special.  Their wisdom and knowledge knows no bounds.  I was always astounded at the things my grandmother would say to me.  Just when I thought she wouldn't understand or was to old to relate, she would come up with something that would blow my mind!

She has lived a good life...91 years is a long time to be on this earth....she has more living to do, whether it be long or short, make the best of the time you have with her.

xoxo

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:14:00 pm »
Dear Creighton,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I will be thinking of her, you and your family during this difficult time.

Love,

Dan

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 11:37:40 pm »
C Baby-
    I love you so much and I will keep you and your grandmother in my thoughts and prayers...
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:11 pm »
Creighton, You surely are something special. Your Grandmother is a lucky woman to have you for a Grandson. My heart goes out to you.

Terry

Offline Nadine

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:52:36 pm »
Creighton,

You and your Grandmother are in my thoughts.

Stay strong

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:18:29 pm »
Creighton,

My Nana died on April 2nd this year. One month short of her 89th birthday. I was very fond of the old dear. My thoughts are with you and your grandmother.

MtD

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:36:59 pm »
Sorry Creighton.

Im going through something similar with my mother.  Im hoping she has at least another 10 years.  But no matter the age of the person you love, you are just never ever prepared to lose them.  Life is so uncertain and its so painful to watch someone we love and care about go through something like this.

I'll be keeping good thoughts for your grandmother, you and your family.

Take care.
Jeff

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 04:43:22 am »
Will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts Creighton.  I'm glad you are going to be at her side, and I'm sure your aunt will appreciate the support.

Take care and drive safely,
John

PS  Flash that winning smile and give the nurses chocolate -- they'll be putty in your hands after that.

Offline Markmt

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 08:50:10 am »
Hi Creighton, Im sorry to read of your Grandma's injuries. Good that you will close when she needs you to be there. Its always hard to face these circumstances when it involoves people you care for. Will be thinking of you,

take care,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 08:58:59 am »
Creighton,

I will keep you and your grandmother in my thoughts.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.