Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:39:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 541
Total: 541

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Support Groups?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Regretsafew

Support Groups?
« on: October 17, 2006, 06:49:58 am »
I was just wondering about support groups??  Are they any good?  I've been feeling quite alone lately and was wondering if anyone goes to support meetings  or functions.  Are they supportive?  or  are they the opposite?  Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Support Groups?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 07:02:54 am »
I suspect it varies from group to group. I've been to some which were cool and others were so bad that I still think the organisers should have been gassed.

I'm gonna step out on a limb here and suggest that rather than asking us (coz let's face it you're not going to get any useful answers to such a question in this place) why don't you just join one and find out for yourself?

Be a devil. ;)

MtD

Offline Jody

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 08:30:49 am »
Dear Regrets...In November I will have been a member of my support group for 11 years...I am now the senior member and am usually asked to speak first when a new member joins...I was quite naive, very uninformed and alone as well when I first joined and the fellows took me under their wing, a few in particular, and I learned how to live with this disease- where to go for benefits, how to discuss issues with my doctor, etc.  It was a real blessing to see others living with HIV and be able to bond and realize I was not alone in this world.

Before going the first time you are very nervous of course...You wonder if you will fit in, what it will be like, all the usual stuff...Don't worry because the folks there will understand and they won't bite (unless you're lucky!!!  ;))...But going back a second time is equally difficult as you ask yourself- did the guys like me, do they want me back, will people leave because I joined?, a little paranoia sets in, usually unnecessarily.  Chances are you will be liked and accepted and wind up helping others and being a source of weekly support for them as people were for you.  When I first joined we went to movies, plays and had parties a great deal, we don't as often anymore, but it still works for me and I must say I believe for the other members as well.

Taking one hour or so each week to discuss what may be the single most important issue of your life (not who you are entirely) but still something that will be around for quite some time that requires your time and energy to live with in a reasonably happy and healthy manner is of utmost importance...Good luck !!!

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline ademas

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 10:31:17 am »
I've belonged to two support groups over the years...each for just over a year.

They were helpful for a time, but then things seemed to get so freakin' repetitive, and there was always a member or two that took up such an inordinate amount of the group time with the same drivel every week...and I just couldn't take it anymore.

There used to be a group here that would get together for social activities, like Sunday morning bowling, or weekend hikes.  That was actually fun, and something I would do again.  (They haven't been as active lately).

I would consider a "drop-in" support group down the road, if I feel the need, but I doubt I would commit to a weekly group again.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:22:16 pm »
RAF,

I tried two HIV “support” groups in 18 years, Neither of them was much help. But then again, I like to keep away from situations that are too regulated or fraught with annoying group dynamics. However you may find you get a better result. Who’s to say?

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:14:53 pm »
Go for it.  Each support group has its own dynamics, but in the end no one ever dies from attending.  You might enjoy it and find the support you need or you might not (in which case it was just an hour lost).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.