Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 152
Total: 154

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Could this be the holy grail ?  (Read 364773 times)

Offline veritas

Re: Could this be the holy grail ?
« Reply #550 on: April 12, 2010, 12:58:01 pm »

Adaptive Immunity Explained

CD8+ T lymphocytes and cytotoxicity
Main article: Cytotoxic T cell
Cytotoxic T cells (also known as TC, killer T cell, or cytotoxic T-lymphocyte (CTL)) are a sub-group of T cells which induce the death of cells that are infected with viruses (and other pathogens), or are otherwise damaged or dysfunctional.[1]

Killer T cells—also called cytotoxic T lymphocytes or CTL-directly attack other cells carrying certain foreign or abnormal molecules on their surfaces[5].Naive cytotoxic T cells are activated when their T-cell receptor (TCR) strongly interacts with a peptide-bound MHC class I molecule. This affinity depends on the type and orientation of the antigen/MHC complex, and is what keeps the CTL and infected cell bound together.[1] Once activated, the CTL undergoes a process called clonal expansion in which it gains functionality, and divides rapidly, to produce an army of “armed”-effector cells. Activated CTL will then travel throughout the body in search of cells bearing that unique MHC Class I + peptide.

When exposed to these infected or dysfunctional somatic cells, effector CTL release perforin and granulysin: cytotoxins which form pores in the target cell's plasma membrane, allowing ions and water to flow into the infected cell, and causing it to burst or lyse.[1] CTL release granzyme, a serine protease that enters cells via pores to induce apoptosis (cell death). To limit extensive tissue damage during an infection, CTL activation is tightly controlled and generally requires a very strong MHC/antigen activation signal, or additional activation signals provided by "helper" T-cells (see below).[1]

Upon resolution of the infection, most of the effector cells will die and be cleared away by phagocytes, but a few of these cells will be retained as memory cells.[3] Upon a later encounter with the same antigen, these memory cells quickly differentiate into effector cells, dramatically shortening the time required to mount an effective response.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #551 on: April 13, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »

Offline veritas

« Reply #552 on: April 14, 2010, 06:33:41 am »

Inch,

Thanks for posting that link. The article is based on the paper published in the 'Journal of Experimental Medicine' posted above.

At the risk of sounding too optimistic, my gut tells me we might have something wonderful here. (The cancer indications are screaming! )

My guess is we could possibly have a therapeutic vaccine in the not too distant future or at least a damn good therapeutic.

It's Happening Inch !

v

Offline Pepino2

• Facial wasting need not be...Teach PMMA!
« Reply #553 on: April 14, 2010, 02:13:06 pm »
Peregrine Pharma released two news releases in the past two weeks as follows;

Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Reports Data from Newly Published Research Reinforcing Potential of Targeting PS in HIV Infection
Article in Journal of Experimental Medicine Shows that PS-Targeting Antibodies Can Block

One of the Ways the AIDS Virus Gains Entry into Blood Cells
http://ir.peregrineinc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=456463

Peregrine Announces Data From Four Clinical Studies Will Be Presented at 2010 ASCO Annual Meeting
Will Include Data From Bavituximab Breast and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Phase II Studies and Cotara Brain Cancer Study
http://ir.peregrineinc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=458641

Stock up to $3.99 from $3.54 prior to releases.

Offline J220

« Reply #554 on: April 14, 2010, 05:37:58 pm »
Good news just keep coming from Peregrine!

Let it happen!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:10:19 am by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline veritas

« Reply #555 on: April 15, 2010, 05:17:52 am »

Pepino, J220,

Thanks for the links. The news coming out of Perigrine is indeed hopeful as J220 points out.

However, let me reiterate that as far as the stock is concerned, there is still a lot of risk and no-one should use money they desperately need to buy this stock.  Sure the rewards could be substantial, but other influences come into play besides top notch science when dealing with bio-techs. They are high risk/reward by their nature.

My main focus is on the science. I don't want to see the science, with the potential to make a real impact on our struggle, get mired in financial potential.

If you want to invest, that is your personal decision ------ this thread makes no claims to that affect.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #556 on: April 15, 2010, 09:37:44 am »

Anti-ps attacks breast cancer  ------ amazingly:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-Study-Shows-Combining-iw-935939111.html?x=0&.v=1

It's Happening !

v
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:43:23 am by veritas »

Offline J220

« Reply #557 on: April 15, 2010, 11:09:47 am »
Pepino, J220,

Thanks for the links. The news coming out of Perigrine is indeed hopeful as J220 points out.

However, let me reiterate that as far as the stock is concerned, there is still a lot of risk and no-one should use money they desperately need to buy this stock.  Sure the rewards could be substantial, but other influences come into play besides top notch science when dealing with bio-techs. They are high risk/reward by their nature.

My main focus is on the science. I don't want to see the science, with the potential to make a real impact on our struggle, get mired in financial potential.

If you want to invest, that is your personal decision ------ this thread makes no claims to that affect.

v

Good disclaimer...on second thought I'll withdraw that part of my earlier post and maybe start a new thread specifically on that subject on another section....My apologies for the derail.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:10:52 pm by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline veritas

« Reply #558 on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:35 am »

"New Preclinical Breast Cancer Study Shows Peregrine's PS-Targeting Antibodies Can Reverse Tumor-Induced Immune Suppression"

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/New-Preclinical-Breast-Cancer-Study-Shows-Peregrines-PS-Targeting-Antibodies-Can-Reverse-NASDAQ-PPHM-1149634.htm

Begs the question: How can HIV immune suppression be reversed?

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #559 on: April 21, 2010, 08:49:40 am »

Anti-ps has cancer in its' crosshair:

http://ir.peregrineinc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=461809

It's happening !

v

Offline J220

« Reply #560 on: April 21, 2010, 05:43:42 pm »
Amazing...regardless of what it does on the HIV front if it can target tumors and become a potent arsenal against cancer then this will be revolutionary.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline veritas

« Reply #561 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35:09 am »

'sCD4-17b neutralizes HIV-1 with high potency and great breadth against genetically diverse primary isolates. It is equivalently active against virus particles generated from different producer cell types (cell line versus PBMC). These results support the continued investigation of various modalities by which sCD4-17b can be employed against HIV infection.'

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2843639/?tool=pubmed

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #562 on: May 11, 2010, 01:44:47 pm »

Treatment Action Group ( TAG ) following anti-ps therapy:

http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/basicsciblog.aspx?id=3664&blogid=88

"Interestingly, there have also been reports recently that anti-phospholipid antibodies can directly inhibit HIV. The postulated mechanism for this activity is the binding of antibodies to cellular phospholipids that HIV incorporates into its viral membrane when budding out of infected cells. At CROI in San Francisco earlier this year, Heidi Reil showed that some antibodies against the E2 protein of a virus called GBV-C bind phospholipids and can also inhibit HIV (in the TZM-bl assay). Reil’s talk is available among the CROI webcasts (the last presentation in the Thursday abstract session on HIV vaccines). "

It's Happening!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #563 on: May 17, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »

A complete, concise overview of Peregrine Pharmaceuticals, including up to date research with anti-ps mabs with respect to all anti-viral and anti-cancer data. The report is extensive (80 pages), however, very readable. Anyone interested in anti-ps therapy, this report is a very informative read:

http://www.crystalra.com/pdf/PPHM_EIO_05-17-2010.pdf

From reading this report, more anti-ps clinical trials will be initiated by Peregrines collaborators. I hope HIV therapeutic is among them soon.

However, it's happening.

v
ps: it will take a few moments to load depending on your computer speed.

Offline veritas

« Reply #564 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:43 am »

CHAVI's latest update:

https://chavi.org/wysiwyg/downloads/CHAVI_Newsletter_3_3.pdf

Check out the anti-ps antibody study on page 5--------- adaptive immunity, is it happening?

YUP !

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #565 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52:44 am »

In a phase 2 clinical trial for ADVANCED breast cancer, the anti-ps antibody, Bavituximab, 74% of patients show tumour response and progression-free survival. 9% had a complete response----- the tumor was gone! (advanced breast cancer is one of the more difficult to treat).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Phase-II-Advanced-Breast-iw-1732419195.html?x=0&.v=1

Is it happening in cancer?  YOU BETCHA!!!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2010, 04:58:05 pm »

The latest fact sheet on Bavituximab-- anti-viral :

http://www.peregrineinc.com/images/stories/media/siteFiles/Bavituximab_Antiviral_June_2010.pdf

It's Happening (and" possibly" in the not too distant future) !

v

Offline J220

« Reply #567 on: June 12, 2010, 12:21:01 am »
I really have high hopes for this MOA. And I particularly like the fact that there is already an ongoing Phase 1 for HIV. For all we know they could determine even at this early stage that this does work and anti-PS therapy does clear the infection. Imagine if as we speak they are analysing data and can't find any trace of HIV in the patients treated with this? Can't wait to hear more results.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline veritas

« Reply #568 on: June 12, 2010, 11:52:33 am »

An interesting article on monoclonal antibodies (bavi-like):

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100611124651.htm

Short term therapy for long term treatment of chronic viral infections.

Can you say adaptive immunity?

v

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #569 on: June 12, 2010, 03:59:02 pm »
V

Do you have any information as to how long the trial of people who are coinfected with HIV/HCV will run (the one that is ongoing)?

Offline veritas

« Reply #570 on: June 13, 2010, 05:26:57 am »

Zorro,

This combination trial has been going on for some time now. I believe data should be released this Sept. The mab (bavituximab- 3g4 antibody), which is being used in that trial, is not the strongest anti-ps antibody. CHAVI is in the process of pre-clinicals with much stronger mabs. The results of the on-going trial with 3g4 will give us a good look into anti-ps in the setting of hiv. CHAVI is the group going for the homerun.

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #571 on: June 13, 2010, 06:33:01 pm »

"Breast Cancer News" -- "New drug may be next huge breakthrough in breast cancer:

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/bcs/article/New-drug-may-be-next-huge-breast-cancer-breakthrough337

Can you guess what it is?

Yup --- It's Happening!

v

Offline xman

« Reply #572 on: June 13, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »
What worries me is that 3 years passed and Bavituximab is still in an ongoing phase I trial for HCV/HIV. It's quite long for a phase I. They should at least know something on the safety profile and efficacy but to date nothing was published about this study. Obviously HIV is not the main target and on top of the agenda. Instead more is done on the cancer part. If a miracle happened we would know it by now. I'm not convinced.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:49:19 pm by xman »

Offline J220

« Reply #573 on: June 14, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »
What worries me is that 3 years passed and Bavituximab is still in an ongoing phase I trial for HCV/HIV. It's quite long for a phase I. They should at least know something on the safety profile and efficacy but to date nothing was published about this study. Obviously HIV is not the main target and on top of the agenda. Instead more is done on the cancer part. If a miracle happened we would know it by now. I'm not convinced.

Well it could be the other way around, for all we now. Maybe this therapy worked better than expected, say this managed to clear the infection from the patients. I think they would want to be 100% sure of their results before they made an annoucement. Perhaps they are waiting more time than normal in order to be completely sure of their resuts. Just a hypothesis on my part, but as equally possible than saying it's not working. We simply don't know either way. So until they share data, I'm keeping my hopes up.
"Hope is my philosophy

Offline veritas

« Reply #574 on: June 15, 2010, 04:45:06 am »

xman,

If you read this thread with comprehension, you would know that it does work to some degree against viral infection. I personally just want to see some efficacy from the co-infection trial. The 3g4 antibody they are using is not the strongest anti-ps mab as I have stated here a number of times. I will say again CHAVI will be the entity to push HIV therapy with anti-ps. By the way, 3g4 showed efficacy against hepc in earlier trials, there is no reson to think it won't show the same against hiv. Geez, have a little foresight and stop carrying that dark cloud around with you.

j220,

Remember, everyone needs their pound of flesh, if you get my meaning. Researchers are jealous gods!

v

Offline xman

« Reply #575 on: June 15, 2010, 08:26:22 am »
xman,

If you read this thread with comprehension, you would know that it does work to some degree against viral infection. I personally just want to see some efficacy from the co-infection trial. The 3g4 antibody they are using is not the strongest anti-ps mab as I have stated here a number of times. I will say again CHAVI will be the entity to push HIV therapy with anti-ps. By the way, 3g4 showed efficacy against hepc in earlier trials, there is no reson to think it won't show the same against hiv. Geez, have a little foresight and stop carrying that dark cloud around with you.

Please allow some criticism. CHAVI is still in a preclinical phase and we still don't know when they will start on human trials. I'm only skeptical because I see progress on the cancer front and not on HIV. They're not pushing on HIV research and the current phase I is moving very slowly. If you have an answer to the slow progress then please tell us.

Offline veritas

« Reply #576 on: June 15, 2010, 09:30:36 am »

xman,

I have given you and others the reason why progress in the specific hiv arena is moving so slowly. Why do you think that a company would prolong a phase1 trial that costs a lot of money to continue for 3 years if they haven't seen some type of progress? Do you think that there could be outside influences causing the delay? Why would the DOD want to study anti-ps in their bioterrorist program? Why did CHAVI make Dr. Thorpe's lab part of their crusade for a vaccine and cure? Why is all this money being spent to research anti-ps? If you can't back-up your staements with appropriate research and links then I won't accept criticism  from you. I'll tell you again, this research is not on our timelines and unfortunately,we will just have to wait. Let me tell you, if I find a research paper that shows this research
not to be viable, I'll post it. Until you do the same, I find your whining annoying. Who knows, you just might be surprised sooner than you think!

v

to be

Offline xman

« Reply #577 on: June 15, 2010, 09:52:28 am »
veritas,

the clinical development is plenty of abandoned components which at the end stage didn't reach the expected results. One of them is the last Bevirimat, a promising maturation inhibitor, which you welcomed with the same enthusiasm as for the anti-ps. This just to present you some facts and failures in HIV research. My criticism is legitimate because we know that a development can be stopped in any phase. As long as I have not convincing data in my hands I'll remain skeptic.

Offline veritas

« Reply #578 on: June 15, 2010, 10:19:16 am »

xman,

I welcome any research that has the possibility to put a dent in this horrible disease. Some will work out others won't. I take issue with your comparison of my enthusiasm with Bevirimat with that of anti-ps! I didn't write a 12 page thread on bevirimat! Bevirimat wasn't tested for many indications like anti-ps. Anti-ps has been tested in humans for many types of cancers and hepc and now hiv. Your arguement is flawed as usual. What I don't understand is why you keep reading this thread if you feel so skeptical about it. Why don't you just wait until the final results are in to make your comments? This thread is not required reading. I think you just like to complain. Others are interested in the research progress step by step. It's for those interested parties that I continue this thread. Don't worry, if I find that anti-ps falls short of my expctations, I'll close this thread and look for next possible breakthrough. That day isn't here yet!

v

Offline colossus

« Reply #579 on: June 15, 2010, 10:38:07 am »
xman,

you are making ad hominem.
I don't think anyone is here to see your negative behavior.

veritas,

thank you very much for your great and informing posts. You always find the last minute updates. This is the only thread I regularly follow in this site.

Offline xman

« Reply #580 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:57 am »
xman,

I don't think anyone is here to see your negative behavior.

I think mine is a more realistic behavior. Someone is able to see the difference. If you like dreaming with open eyes than continue so if this will let you feel better.

Offline xman

« Reply #581 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:21 am »
xman,

What I don't understand is why you keep reading this thread if you feel so skeptical about it. Why don't you just wait until the final results are in to make your comments? This thread is not required reading. I think you just like to complain. Others are interested in the research progress step by step. It's for those interested parties that I continue this thread. Don't worry, if I find that anti-ps falls short of my expctations, I'll close this thread and look for next possible breakthrough. That day isn't here yet!

v

What surprises me is the fact that you're promoting an approach without having any, or very poor data, about it's efficacy in relation only of HIV. You're relying on your gut as you claimed many times. Sure the MOA seems promising but dude, we are still in phase I and only God knows what could happen to this and other ones during the slow and long lasting clinical process and development.

I also take seriously in consideration that no expert to date, neither here or on other sites, are crying for enthusiasm about this and other approaches. They are all very tempered. Only you with your 'it is happening' slogan, not to mention that nothing concrete is really happening since 2006 on the anti ps and HIV front, are pushing optimism over something that still has a far and hard way to go before reaching primetime. Sure you have your audience but many perhaps put too much hope in something that will not reach our mouths until the next decade. This is my opinion. You can share or discuss it. But you need to understand that not everybody feels so much enthusiams about something and, to avoid confusion, I'm posting that here.  

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:08:43 am by xman »

Offline colossus

« Reply #582 on: June 15, 2010, 11:27:24 am »
lets look at the big picture

1981 -> hiv is identified.
1996 -> first effective drugs (ART) had been found
2007 -> first cured person from disease (Berlin patient)
???? -> hiv becomes history.

so I think something is happening.

PS: xman, go away nobody likes you! (by Eric Cartman).

Offline Boze

« Reply #583 on: June 15, 2010, 11:36:32 am »
What surprises me is the fact that you're promoting an approach without having any, or very poor data, about it's efficacy in relation only of HIV. You're relying on your gut as you claimed many times. Sure the MOA seems promising but dude, we are still in phase I and only God knows what could happen to this and other ones during the slow and long lasting clinical process and development.

I also take seriously in consideration that no expert to date, neither here or on other sites, are crying for enthusiasm about this and other approaches. They are all very tempered. Only you with your 'it is happening' slogan, not to mention that nothing concrete is really happening since 2006 on the anti ps and HIV front, are pushing optimism over something that still has a far and hard way to go before reaching primetime. Sure you have your audience but many perhaps put too much hope in something that will not reach our mouths until the next decade. This is my opinion. You can share or discuss it. But you need to understand that not everybody feels so much enthusiams about something and, to avoid confusion, I'm posting that here.  

What's stopping you from abandoning this thread? You've made it clear that you don't share veritas' enthusiasm for the said program. You also don't actually seem to have any real knowledge about it - only speculation about why it's going slow, etc.
I think a healthy enthusiasm is a good thing - helps to keep us going, knowing that research on many fronts is being done toward the disease. Nobody here is cancelling their HAART prescription because of "unwarranted hope" that you are skeptical about.
Hence I don't see the point of continued negativity in light of the absence of facts at your disposal.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline xman

« Reply #584 on: June 15, 2010, 11:52:27 am »
You also don't actually seem to have any real knowledge about it - only speculation about why it's going slow, etc.

Hence I don't see the point of continued negativity in light of the absence of facts at your disposal.

Oh yes but you have knowledge, right? The absence of facts? Please read carefully and provide facts that tell the opposite. What lacks here is a healthy and reality based confrontation. I know that the reality can hurt but I sincerely prefer having hope in something more concrete. Maybe I'm trying to ease your pain when all your hopes in this one might break down all at once.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:55:58 am by xman »

Offline Boze

« Reply #585 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:38 pm »
Oh yes but you have knowledge, right? The absence of facts? Please read carefully and provide facts that tell the opposite. What lacks here is a healthy and reality based confrontation. I know that the reality can hurt but I sincerely prefer having hope in something more concrete. Maybe I'm trying to ease your pain when all your hopes in this one might break down all at once.

I am not putting too much hope into any given strategy - and to be honest haven't really followed this one closely. I am encouraged by the plethora of different approaches that are being tried. With the amount of technical wherewithal put to bear, a result should come about one way or another.

As far as this drug - I see no downside about hope. Hope is a potent tool in our arsenal - why be a party pooper?
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #586 on: June 15, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »
Why do you think that a company would prolong a phase1 trial that costs a lot of money to continue for 3 years if they haven't seen some type of progress? Do you think that there could be outside influences causing the delay? Why would the DOD want to study anti-ps in their bioterrorist program? Why did CHAVI make Dr. Thorpe's lab part of their crusade for a vaccine and cure? Why is all this money being spent to research anti-ps?

V

I'll admit to being new to this, excited about the information that you post, but also, curious as to what you think the answers to these questions are. I can see that this thread has been here for a couple years, but when I google for current results, there doesn't seem to be a lot of tangible information for the lay person.

I feel in my bones that the researchers are getting extremely close to a homerun, but can't help but wonder if, as a "newbie", I'm too naive and hopeful.

Offline veritas

« Reply #587 on: June 16, 2010, 04:54:12 am »

Zorro,

The simple answer to all those questions is that the MOA (mechanism of action) of anti-ps therapy has intrigued the top researchers in the world to the point that they are willing to spend a lot of money for the study of this novel therapeutic paradigm. The dept of defense feels the same way. You will not find the answers with a simple google search. You have to dig in to journals and follow research of those drs. doing the research. This is not easy to do and takes a lot of tiime. The aforementioned is why many shy away from this forum. The evidence is there -- you have to read the thread in full which includes scientific papers that are sometimes difficult to understand. This is xman's problem-- he doesn't understand the research and clinical trial procedure and he is making statements akin to a scared, anxiety ridden little boy, who probably is having a hard time coping with his infection. One can't stamp their foot and get what they want--- life doesn't work that way. If one makes statements they had better be able to back up what they say with links and research. Without proof, opinions are meaningless. All the evidence that I have enumerated in this thread have been backed up by research and links. However, one has to read the thread to get the full meaning of my posts. Also, of course, one has to understand what is being said. The research on this therapy is not complete, there is no time-line set up yet for clinical trials by CHAVI. So we must wait for the research to develop. Every step forward means "It's Happening".

v

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #588 on: June 16, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
Every step forward means "It's Happening".

from your lips to God's ears  ;) 

I feel like with all that seems to be happening, "they" [the research community] ought to bump into a cure by accident if nothing else  8)

Offline xman

« Reply #589 on: June 16, 2010, 09:10:30 pm »
This is xman's problem-- he doesn't understand the research and clinical trial procedure and he is making statements akin to a scared, anxiety ridden little boy, who probably is having a hard time coping with his infection. One can't stamp their foot and get what they want--- life doesn't work that way. If one makes statements they had better be able to back up what they say with links and research. Without proof, opinions are meaningless. All the evidence that I have enumerated in this thread have been backed up by research and links.

veritas,

are you scientist or a MD? I guess not. You as a self esteemed dabbler in science are simply posting articles from other sites and organizations, adding your comments and thoughts based on nothing than what you feel. Please post your personal references and credentials instead of putting yourself a on a higher scale. And please don't missunderstand me. I'm not a doctor or researcher too but many facts are telling that, althought the application of anti-ps is very promising, it is still too early to comment and to emphasize. This for the common sense of putting a limit to an exceeded enthusiasm, which is clearly the case here.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:18:27 pm by xman »

Offline xman

« Reply #590 on: June 16, 2010, 09:30:37 pm »
And for not seeming a pessimist or an anxiety ridden little boy who is whining and hopeless, I say that I would be very glad to congratulate veritas for his thoughts and gut feelings if those should turn in something real. It's not for demonstrating any superiority in comparison with veritas or anybody else. On the contrary I try to keep a rational and tempered attitude on this and other studies and researches as many doctors and experts recommend. I don't like to put too much hope in something that as far as we actually know, hasn't demostrate nothing really worth to celebrate so far.

Offline veritas

« Reply #591 on: June 17, 2010, 05:45:07 am »

xman,

You do no research, you do-not understand the references, you contribute nothing to the thread other than to cause conflict ----- all in all pretty sad.  Your a distraction to every thread you post in. I don't want you posting in this thread any further.

Moderators please review. I believe he was told earlier in the thread not to post here unless he had something constructive to say. His criticism is based on no research other than his feelings and he is disrupting those members who are interested in the subject. He repeats the same questions answered many times and makes statements which he evidently can't defend. If he doesn't share the interest in this research that others seem to do, there is really no reason for him to post here. Please rule.

v

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #592 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31:43 am »
xman,

Back in September 2009 you were politely asked by (then moderator) Jan (anniebc) to stay out of this thread if you had nothing constructive to add. Yet here you are, back again, giving Veritas a hard time. If V and other members feel excited about this research, then so be it. Who are you to tell them that they shouldn't be?

If you disagree with people's opinions of this research, then simply stay out of the thread. As a poster above noted, this thread is not required reading.

Leit/Xman

If you don't agree with anything Veritas has to say or have nothing constructive to say then stay away from his thread..ridiculing other posters is not allowed, and childish behaviour is just, well...childish.

So unless you have somthing to say that has anything to do with the subject being discussed here then stay out of this discussion.

Jan

I'm not going to be quite as polite as Jan was - STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD! I'm tired of getting complaints about your antics here. Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline xman

« Reply #593 on: June 17, 2010, 09:18:43 pm »
xman,

Back in September 2009 you were politely asked by (then moderator) Jan (anniebc) to stay out of this thread if you had nothing constructive to add. Yet here you are, back again, giving Veritas a hard time. If V and other members feel excited about this research, then so be it. Who are you to tell them that they shouldn't be?

If you disagree with people's opinions of this research, then simply stay out of the thread. As a poster above noted, this thread is not required reading.

I'm not going to be quite as polite as Jan was - STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD! I'm tired of getting complaints about your antics here. Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

if you read carefully what jan posted it was about ridiculizing other members and about not posting things directly related to the thread title.

I'm simply exposing my disagreement on some positions here and I'm not offending anyone. I guess you understand this. I didn't broke any rule. If this isn't permitted than this forum is not a civil and democratic place for discussion. Perhaps you don't like uncomfortable comments on the views of some members here.
Also this forum in my opinion is becoming unserious and an important moderator left a similar comment some time ago in another thread about this issue. I'll quote it below.

Sadly, our research forum has become one big circle jerk of (badly) self-taught research "experts" for their list of future cures.

This was my last post here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:22:00 pm by xman »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2010, 09:33:55 pm »

Good riddance!

Children, back to your sandbox.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #595 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:26 am »
xman,

I've replied to your PM rather than hijack this thread with an explanation of why and how you're offending people.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #596 on: June 18, 2010, 07:10:56 pm »
an important moderator left a similar comment some time ago in another thread about this issue. I'll quote it below.

That quote, rather than sounding like it came from an "important moderator" (whatever that means), sounds much more like the grousing of a bitter old gueen.

Tragic.
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline veritas

« Reply #597 on: June 27, 2010, 05:15:47 am »
Bio-defense Vaccines and Therapies -- June 14-17,2010.

http://www.infocastinc.com/downloads_pdf/biodef10_symp.pdf

"Phosphatidylserine-Targeting Broad Spectrum Antibodies for
the Treatment of Hemorrhagic Fever Virus Infections
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc. and it academic collaborators are
developing broad spectrum anti-viral agents. These anti-viral
monoclonal antibodies target anionic phospholipids such as
phosphatidylserine (PS) which become exposed on the surface of
virus-infected cells and egressed virions. The antibodies exert their
anti-viral effect via clearance of circulating virus and destruction
of virus-infected cells by antibody-dependent cell-mediated
cytotoxicity. We present data supporting the use of PS-targeting
antibodies against members of three major hemorrhagic fever virus
families including Pichinde virus and Junin virus (Arenaviridae),
Punta Toro virus (a model for Rift Valley fever virus,
Bunyaviridae family) and yellow fever virus (Flaviviridae).'
Melina Soares, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, University of Texas
Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas

HIV exposes ps also, now the question is: what is holding up clinical trials?

It's Happening!

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #598 on: June 27, 2010, 10:52:50 am »

HIV exposes ps also, now the question is: what is holding up clinical trials?

It's Happening!

I guess if this were approved by the FDA for other viruses, it could then be used "off label" for HIV?

Offline georgep77

« Reply #599 on: June 27, 2010, 10:28:24 pm »
I guess if this were approved by the FDA for other viruses, it could then be used "off label" for HIV?
Smart move Inch .....    :P
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.