Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:41:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 636
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Thank you Andy, Rapid Rod and Ann  (Read 11252 times)

Offline rickms

Thank you Andy, Rapid Rod and Ann
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:09 pm »

Okay, yes I’m panicking; I think there was a significant probability that I may have contracted HIV. Here is my story. I’ve befriended an erotic dancer (stripper/dancer) and after hanging out for a few months outside of the club we had a sexual encounter. Here are my concerns:

•   We’ve done a significant amount of open mouth kissing and although I understand kissing does not transfer HIV there was a point where I had significant oral surgery, we kissed about a week after I had the surgery. There is a good chance that I still had an open wound. There is no reason for me to believe she had any oral problems such as bleeding of the gums but can HIV tainted saliva mix with my open wound and cause a problem.

•   She is an erotic dancer, although I have no reason to believe she prostitutes herself she is in an industry where sex does occur for money. She is 21 and has only been dancing for a year. My experience with her within the club was nothing but professional no inappropriate touching other then grinding and no kissing.

•   She claims she was tested for STD(s) three months ago, I have no proof and she has lied about other things.

•   I masturbated her the day I had a manicure (some small cuts on the finger). My fingers did fully penetrate and she was wet. The worst part was it turned out she was just finishing her period so there was some dry blood on my fingers. I wish she would have told me before I went to town. 

•   At some point we were naked and grinded a bit, meaning my erect penis rubbed against her vulvae for some time, no real penetrations.

•   Lastly, we did have full intercourse but I did use a condom,

A couple days after this encounter I began having a burning and itching sensation on my testicles. Not on the shaft but on my testicles. I panicked and went to the doctor. I did not provide much information regarding the encounter, was just too embarrassed. The doctor did not see anything. He thought it may be tied more to anxiety. The problem went a way after a couple of days. There were no sores, marks or redness.

About two weeks following this encounter I got  tested for HIV plus herpes and other STDs. All tests came back negative.

I know two weeks is not enough. I would like an opinion on the likelihood that I’ve contracted HIV and secondly when should I go back for further testing.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Okay, yes I'm panicking - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:41:04 pm »
You didn't need to test because you never had a risk in the first place.

Offline rickms

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:38:55 pm »
You didn't need to test because you never had a risk in the first place.

Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely need to be better educated. I do hope you are correct. I appears maybe hiv transmission does not occur as easy as I thought.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 10:55:10 pm »
Rick,

Roddles is quite correct. You have not placed yourself at risk of HIV infection. You should read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline rickms

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:43:30 am »
Rick,

Roddles is quite correct. You have not placed yourself at risk of HIV infection. You should read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Actually I did read through some of that.  I read the following and let my paranoia run away with me.

"While it is theoretically possible that someone who has an open cut or fresh abrasion on his or her finger or hand can be infected with HIV if coming into contact with blood in the anus or vagina or vaginal secretions, there has never been a documented case of HIV transmission via fingering." I figured that was the case, it did have small abrasions (cuts) on my fingers and while fingering her came in contact with both her vaginal secretions and bllood (post period).

Also I had read somewhere that HIV has been passed between two people french kissing but both parties had severe bleeding gums.

I guess since these have such low risk, you guys are concluding I'm not at risk.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 05:45:56 am »
No one has been ever been verified to have contracted HIV from French Kissing.

Offline rickms

What is my level of risk - PEP?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 02:38:23 am »
I had unprotected vaginal intercourse and performed cunnilingus with a stripper.  It was one night. She claims she had been tested for STD(s) but I have no proof. I''m circumcised for what it is worth. I did not cum in her but pulled out before ejaculating. I'm sure I'm at risk but to what extent. Also, how long before I should go get tested. I'm sure I'm going to be in a panic until I really know. The stress is going to kill me! Also, to make things worse I cheated with my long term girlfriend and need to deal with it. I need to stay away from having sex with my girlfriend and that will be a trick, specially if I have to wait months before getting tested. 

Should I consider PEP?

Lastly, is there something I could do now and are there any early testing that can be done.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:50:52 am by rickms »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: What is my level of risk - PEP?
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:24:58 am »
Rick,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

So either you lied to us about your risk the first time you posted, or you've had another encounter AFTER being on this forum and supposedly learning how to protect yourself from hiv.

If you really did have unprotected intercourse, then you need to test at the three month point. You would be unlikely to be given PEP for a one-time insertive incident. PEP must be initiated within 72 hours, preferably 48. It consists of highly toxic drugs that can cause severe side-effects and is not to be taken lightly.

To be honest, I think you didn't like the "no risk" response you got the first time around and so you decided to up the ante. If you went out and had unprotected intercourse after reading this website, then more fool you. Even so, I do not expect you to test positive if you truly did have a one-off unprotected encounter.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rickms

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 08:26:30 am »
Call me a fool. I do not disagree. This is indeed a second encounter with a stipper I've known (if you could ever know a stipper) for a number of months. I can deal with your judgment, I just wanted some information. This is a new incident with some different circumstances. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 08:31:57 am »
Why are you asking the same questions again for a risk that you have just been through? Seek professional mental help. There is something wrong with a person that would put themselves at risk again just after getting over a risk. You've heard of condoms, use them.

Offline rickms

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 02:10:23 pm »
I'm not going to argue, seeing a mental health professional may be in my future. Sex addict maybe, not sure? After 15 years with my current girlfriend this is the first time I've cheated. I'm not proud of it and am attempting to deal with the guilt and the behavior. My first post regarding my first encounter  discussed what members on this forum claimed as not a risk. I should have learned after the hell I went through worrying about whether I was infected. This second encounter was/is different. I'm not going to explain why I did not use a condom, there was one actually right next to the bed, there was a stupid reason for not using the condom and I know better. Since this encounter was different I asked again about the risks based on the actions of this last encounter.  I guess I was hoping someone would tell me that yes there is a risk but not that great because female to male transmission has a lower risk, also since  this  a single  encounter maybe statistically my risk is lower. Or at least someone could have given me an opinion on PEP?

I'm going to get tested but I'm not going to a doctor regarding PEP? I've know know this girl for 8 months, I've met some of her family, friends, we've grown to know each other. Although she is a dancer, that does not necessarily make her a prostitute. She claims she was tested for STD(s) three months ago and everything came up negative. She said her doctor has the results and she is willing to share that with me.  She also claims she has not slept with anybody for about two years, since she broke up with her fiance. Okay, this can all be lie but at this point I have no true confirmation she is HIV positive. I cannot see doing PEP

Hey not only that, even though I did not ejaculate inside her I'm now worried about her getting pregnant. Precum still has sperm.I guess this is a question for another forum.

Anyway, all of you have the right to flog me if I ever do this again! I am just surprised of the hostile (maybe a strong word) response to this post. I wonder if people are passing judgment.  If I had claimed I had used a condom and the condom had broke and the girl I was sleeping with was an "upstanding" citizen whether I would have received more thoughtful replies.

It is not my intention to start a flame war. This site really is generally a great thing with knowledgeable and supportive members.

Enough said.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 02:33:01 pm »
OK, let's just stick to some simple facts as you have expressed them.

The bottom line is that you had unprotected intercourse. That means there was some risk and you have to get tested. The CDC recommends doing that at 13 weeks. Doing PEP would in my opinion NOT be called for in this incident. And here's why: HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly more difficult to accomplish from female to male. Given it was a single incident the odds against transmission are significantly in your favor. Of course low risk is not the same as no risk so testing is indicated.

The fact that you didn't ejaculate in her is irrelevant. Ejaculation in an unprotected incident would be a risk for the receptive partner, not for the insertive.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number who will seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. So a negative at 6 weeks points strongly in the direction that you'll continue to test negative.

You have to sort out what you want to do about intercourse with your longtime gf during the weeks before you test. Although I do expect you're ultimately going to test negative that is not the same as having a negative test result in your hand.

Good luck with your test. Keep us posted. 

And even if you aren't planning to stray again just make sure that if you do so in the future wear a condom everytime. They provide very effective protection.
Andy Velez

Offline rickms

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 02:40:17 pm »
Thanks Andy for the thoughtful reply. That helps.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 02:50:31 pm »
You're welcome. I'm glad you found our exchange to be helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 09:21:14 am »
Rick,

I suppose I owe you an apology. The tone of my response came from my suspicions that you were still talking about your first incident and that you were not happy with the "no risk" responses you had, and so decided to up the ante. (we've had people do that here before)

It was also frustrating to think that if it was a separate incident, then our "use condoms" message fell on deaf ears. Sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall, but I should not have snapped at you because of it. I'm sorry.

I hope you did notice that I also wrote to you about PEP and your risk level - although admittedly in rather terse terms.

You do need to test, but I expect you to come out of this ok. PLEASE... make sure you start using condoms. You're playing roulette with your health and the ball just might drop on your number if you spin the wheel enough times.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rickms

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 09:23:15 pm »
Ann,

Not a problem. I'm harder on myself then anybody could ever be. You guys have undoubtedly saved people much stress and have saved lives. I can understand the frustration of giving people advice that can save their lives and then having them ignore them. This last incident will now have me stressing until I come back clean. I cannot believe how stupid I've been with this, I'm pretty successful in most aspects of life but this dancer has my head spinning. Nothing is worse then falling for a girl that creates male fantasies for a living; the male ego gets stoked so easily.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and thanks for helping.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:25:14 pm by rickms »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 09:59:43 am »
You're welcome.

I do expect you to come back "negative." That's different from "clean." Using the term "clean" in relation to HIV is offensive. Just think for a minute -- if HIV is "dirty," which is what saying "clean" implies, then what would that say about those who respond to you and who operate this site? Get it?

Get educated about this issue because those who live with HIV have to deal not only with the challenges to their health, but also the stigma implicit just such terms as clean and dirty.

Please remember that and not just on World AIDS Day.   
Andy Velez

Offline rickms

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 12:23:16 pm »
I understand your point. I was really referring to lab results being clean, not my body.

Offline rickms

Are antibodies produced during seroconversion
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 04:01:36 pm »
Are there enough antibodies produced during seroconversion that an HIV test would show positive. For example if after a three weeks after a risky encounter a person begins to  seroconvert is it worth being tested at that time or does one need to wait the recommended six weeks.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Are antibodies produced during seroconversion
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 04:59:02 pm »
Three weeks is to early and 6 weeks may be to early for some. The conclusive negative result can be obtained at 3 months post exposure.

Offline rickms

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 05:10:57 pm »
I thought the seroconversion can begin as early as two weeks after infection. I was just wondering if during seroconversion antibodies would be generated that would be identified with testing.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 05:13:53 pm »
Rick I can appreciate you wanting to get this over with as soon as possible, but the reality is that most likely you're gonna have wait out the 13 weeks.

Most people who test positive will do so by 6 weeks so if you feel the need test then, but remember that a negative result at 6 weeks must be confirmed by a negative result at 13 weeks.

I agree with the others here and expect that you will test negative.

MtD

Offline rickms

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 03:25:18 pm »
So I've been really sick for the last week and a half. It is has kept me out out of work for a couple days. The hypochondriac in me is thinking seroconversion, it has been a few weeks since my last unprotected sexual experience and more then a month or so since my first real low risk encounter. Terrible muscle aches, headaches, upper and lower respiratory problems and a continuing sore throat. I finally did go to my doctor, he quickly and nonchalantly dismissed any possibility of HIV/serconversion. Said it was a flu and sent me on my way. I know it way too early to get tested. I guess even if I was seroconverting what can be done at that point. Since I have not hit the six week or twelve mark it is way too early to get tested. This does really suck.

Anyway, I cannot wait to be tested. I would have felt better if I thought my doctor really at least considered the possibility that I may be infected.

Time will tell..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:50:09 pm by rickms »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 03:28:57 pm »
I've caused my girlfriend I'm not sure I do not deserve anything I have got or will get.

HIV is not a punishment for perceived wicked behaviour. It is a virus. Nothing more, nothing less.

MtD

Offline rickms

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 03:35:04 pm »
I've caused my girlfriend I'm not sure I do not deserve anything I have got or will get.

HIV is not a punishment for perceived wicked behaviour. It is a virus. Nothing more, nothing less.

MtD

Sorry, that was insensitive. Thank you for the correction. I understand, I guess coming to grips that the risk can be greatly minimized and I choose not to take the necessary precautions. I should be allowed to beat up myself, no?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 04:01:58 pm »
You can indulge in beating yourself if you like. In my experience it often just sets up a syndrome to be repeated in the future. 

The way I see it you'd be better off simply committing yourself to, always without exception, using condoms in the future.

Andy Velez

Offline rickms

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 04:07:16 pm »
You can indulge in beating yourself if you like. In my experience it often just sets up a syndrome to be repeated in the future. 

The way I see it you'd be better off simply committing yourself to, always without exception, using condoms in the future.

Thanks for the reply Andy. Do you have any opinion on thoughts that I'm going through seroconversion?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 05:00:35 am »
Rick,

We cannot possibly tell you whether or not you are seroconverting. You'll just have to wait until six weeks to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickms

Thank you Andy, Rapid Rod and Ann
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »
I’ve used this forum a few times to ask question regarding “possible” risky behavior and my potential risk of contracting HIV. I just want to thank Andy , Rapid Rod and Ann for the work they perform on this site. They have to deal with all sorts or very worried and sometimes unreasonable posters. The service they provide is really invaluable. I do wish some of their knowledge regarding risk was more common public information. There are still folks out there that think HIV can be contracted through public pools, gym equipment and public toilets. Personally, prior to coming to this forum, I’m thought fingering, oral and kissing were serious risks. 

Andy, Rapid Rod and Ann thanks for the service and compassion.

Richie

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Thank you Andy, Rapid Rod and Ann
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 02:36:54 pm »
Rick,

Once again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. Even when you're just posting to say thanks.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You're welcome for the help. I take it you ultimately tested negative after your unprotected intercourse. I hope you have learned a lesson and now use condoms with anyone, unless you're in a securely monogamous relationship where you've both tested negative TOGETHER.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rickms

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 02:42:47 pm »
Rick,

Once again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. Even when you're just posting to say thanks.

You're welcome for the help. I take it you ultimately tested negative after your unprotected intercourse. I hope you have learned a lesson and now use condoms with anyone, unless you're in a securely monogamous relationship where you've both tested negative TOGETHER.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Yes, I tested negative but the thank you would have came even if the tests were positive.

Also, I apologize for not understanding that even threads of different topics should be continued as one.

Again, thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 03:52:18 pm »
You're welcome.  Now get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.